Holiday Watchdog ( "Holiday Watchdog", "we", "our", "us") is an online service that provides users ( "you") with recommendations for travel and travel planning, including hotels, travel guides, attractions and experiences, restaurants, cruises and lots more.
Our website, mobile properties, and related applications (collectively, our "Website") are part of the TripAdvisor® Media Network, which is owned and operated by TripAdvisor LLC.
We understand that providing information online involves a great deal of trust on your part. We take this trust very seriously, and make it a high priority to ensure the security and confidentiality of the personal data you provide to us when you visit our Website or use our services.
- Collection of your personal data
- How we use your personal data
- With whom we share your personal data
- How long we keep your personal data
- Cookies and other web technologies
- Your rights
- How we protect your personal data
- Information concerning minors
- External links
- International transfers
- How you can contact us
1. Collection of your personal data
Personal data means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified, electronic addresses, date of birth, password and payment information. It does not include data where the identity has been removed or otherwise anonymized (anonymous data).
In the course of our business, we collect and process personal data in different ways. We may collect personal data you give us directly but we also collect data by logging how you interact with our services, for example by using cookies on our Websites. We may also receive information from third parties who partner with us, as more fully described below.
The personal data we collect about you may include, but is not limited to: your name, email address, postal address, phone number, billing information, survey responses, reservation details and other information you may provide about yourself to our Websites, and your IP address and web browser software.
You can choose not to provide us with your personal data. However, in general you need to provide us with certain information about you in order to take advantage of many features of the Websites. For example, only registered members are able to post travel reviews, participate in discussion forums, email Holiday Watchdog content to themselves and others, access members-only newsletters and travel planning content, and enter surveys, contests, or sweepstakes. In addition, some information is also required in order for you to ask us a question or initiate other transactions on our Websites. We also collect personal data for security purposes.
- Information that you provide to us: as described below, we may receive and store any information you enter on our Website or give us in any other way.
- Information About Others: You will have the opportunity to provide contact and travel-related information for other people through our Websites. If you make a reservation for someone else through Holiday Watchdog, you will need to submit that individual's personal data. You must obtain the consent of other individuals prior to providing us with their personal data. If another Holiday Watchdog member grants you access to their data through a shared reservation, trip planning feature, or other similar service, you should treat that information appropriately.
- Automatic Collection of Information: We automatically collect some information from your computer or mobile device when you visit Holiday Watchdog. For example, we collect your session data, including your IP address, the navigation software used and the reference site. We may also collect information about your online activity, such as reviewed content, pages visited and searches. We automatically collect this type of information to try to better understand your interests and preferences of and to better personalize your experience. We also collect personal data in order to help protect our site and other users from misuse.
- Location Information and Other Information from Devices: When you use our Websites on a device, whether through mobile web or application, we will collect and use information about you in generally similar ways and for similar purposes as when you use the Holiday Watchdog website. In addition, we may collect certain information about your location if you have instructed your device to send such information to the application via the privacy settings on that device, or if you have uploaded photos tagged with location information. For example, we may use your location to show you reviews of hotels, experiences or restaurants near you when you are traveling. You can change the privacy settings of your device at any time, in order to turn off the functionality to share location information with the application and/or the functionality to tag your photos with location information. Please note that turning off location sharing may affect certain features of our application or mobile experience. If you have any queries about the privacy settings of your device, we suggest you contact the manufacturer of your device or your mobile service provider for help.
2. How we use your personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- With your consent.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
We want to make it easy for you to take advantage of travel-related opportunities on our Websites. One way we do this is by sending you email messages that contain information about your travel-related interest. For example, you search for a cruise to Florida on our Websites, we may send you an email message about cruises and travel to Florida or other destinations. We believe these email messages will provide you with useful information about travel-related special offers available through our sites.
You will receive marketing messages from us if you have given your consent, if you have requested or if you purchased goods or services from us and if you have not opted out of receiving marketing messages.
Each time you receive an email of this type, you will be able to tell us if you no longer wish to receive them, or deny push notifications in the application, or change the settings of your mobile device to do so for that type of marketing message or notification. You will be able to unsubscribe from each of those marketing communications at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link that you will find at the bottom of each communication you receive from us or by visiting the email preference center on the Website.
Please note that we may continue to send you service communications, such as service and administrative messages about your account or transactional messages. It is not possible to unsubscribe from these service communications.
3. With whom we share your personal data
Holiday Watchdog may share your information with other parties, including other group companies and the types of third parties listed below. For instance, if we sell or divest our business or any part of it, and your personal data relates to such sold or divested part of our business, or if we merge with another business, we will share your personal data with the new owner of the business or our merger partner, respectively.
Separately, if we are legally obliged to do so, we will share personal data to protect our customers, the site, as well as our company and our rights and property.
If you choose to create a profile on Holiday Watchdog, certain information in your profile will be publicly viewable and identifiable by clicking your screen name. You will have the ability to view your profile as members of the public will see it. Additionally, if you choose to participate in our member-to-member communications programs (e.g. traveler networks and private messaging), other Holiday Watchdog members may contact you by using Holiday Watchdog as an intermediary; however, Holiday Watchdog will not share your email address with any other members nor display it any public manner. All Holiday Watchdog members have the option to turn off the member-to-member communication features at any time.
- Third-party service providers who provide services or functions on our behalf, including business analytics, payment processing, customer service, marketing, public relations, distribution of surveys or sweepstakes programs, and fraud prevention. We may also authorize third-party service providers to collect information on our behalf, including, for example, as necessary to operate features of our Website or to facilitate the delivery of online advertising tailored to your interests. Third-party service providers have access to and may collect information only as needed to perform their functions and are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose.
- Business partners with whom we may offer products or services in conjunction. You can tell when a third party is involved in a product or service you have requested because their name will appear either with ours or separately. If you choose to access these optional services, we may share information about you, including your personal data, with those partners. Please note that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party business partners.
- Affiliated Websites. If you were referred to Holiday Watchdog from another website, we may share your registration information, such as your name, email address, mailing address, telephone number and travel preferences, about you with that referring website. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any website that referred you to Holiday Watchdog.
We also may share your information if we believe, in our sole discretion, that such disclosure is necessary:
- to comply with legitimate and enforceable subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us;
- in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Other than as set out above, you will be notified when personal data about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information.
We also may share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. For example, we may tell our advertisers the number of visitors our Website receives or the most popular hotels and vacation destinations. This information does not contain any personal data and is used to develop content and services we hope you will find of interest.
4. How long we keep your personal data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or statutory reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure or your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
We may retain certain information subsequent to the closing of your account, for example if it is necessary to fulfil our legal obligations or to exercise, to maintain security, to prevent fraud and abuse and to defend or enforce our rights. If you choose to close your account, your personal data will generally stop being visible to others on our Website within 30 days.
5. Cookies and Other Web Technologies.
We collect information via cookies and other similar technologies (such as web beacons). Cookies are small text files that are automatically placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. They are stored by your Internet browser. Cookies contain basic information about your use of the internet. Your browser sends these cookies back to our Website every time you visit it, so it can recognize your computer or mobile device and personalize and enhance your browsing experience.
You can find more details about what cookies and similar technologies (such as web beacons) we use in our Cookies Policy.
You can also find out more information about cookies in general, including how to see what cookies are installed on your (mobile) device and how to manage and delete them at websites such as www.allaboutcookies.org/ and www.youronlinechoices.eu/.
6. Your rights
You can check, supplement and update the information you have provided by accessing the "My Account" section of your account. You may also close your Holiday Watchdog account by contacting us using the methods provided below.
If you decide to close your account, we will deactivate it, and remove your personal data. Remember that once your account is closed, you will no longer be able to login, access your personal information. You can however, open a new account at any time.
You can change your marketing preferences at any time during which your account remains open, through the "My Details" page in your member account.
In accordance with applicable law, you may have the right of access, the right of rectification, the right to erasure, the right to restriction of processing, the right to data portability and the right to object. Please find below more details and information on how and when you can exercise your rights. We will respond to your request within one month, but have the right to extend this period with two months.
In accordance with applicable law, you may have the following rights with regard to your personal data:
- The right to request access to your personal data. This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- The right to request to correct your personal data if it is inaccurate. You may also supplement any incomplete personal data we have, taking into account the purposes of the processing.
The right to request deletion of your personal data if:
- your personal data is no longer necessary for the purposes for which we collected or processed them; or
- you withdraw your consent if the processing of your personal data is based on consent and no other legal ground exists; or
- you object to the processing of your personal data and we do not have an overriding legitimate ground for processing; or
- your personal data is unlawfully processed; or
- your personal data has to be deleted for compliance with a legal obligation.
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data. We will comply with your request, unless we have a compelling overriding legitimate interest for processing or we need to continue processing your personal data to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim.
The right to restrict the processing of personal data, if:
- the accuracy of your personal data is contested by you, for the period in which we have to verify the accuracy of the personal data; or
- the processing is unlawful and you oppose the deletion of your personal data and requests restriction; or
- we no longer need your personal data for the purposes of processing, but your personal data is required by you for legal claims; or
- you have objected to the processing, for the period in which we have to verify overriding legitimate grounds.
- The right to data portability. You may request us to receive the personal data that concern you. You may also request us to send this personal data to a third party, where feasible. You only have this right if it regards personal data you have provided to us, the processing is based on consent or necessary for the performance of a contract between you and us, and the processing is done by automated means.
You can exercise several of your rights through the personal information section of your account. To exercise your other rights you can file a request by here.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. In an effort to speed up our response, we may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request.
7. How we protect your personal data
We want you to feel confident about using Holiday Watchdog, and we are committed to protecting the personal data we collect. While no website can guarantee perfect security, we have implemented and maintain appropriate physical, administrative, technical, and organizational measures to protect the personal data you provide us against unauthorized or unlawful access, use of disclosure, and against accidental loss, damage, alteration or destruction.
For example, only authorized employees are permitted to access personal data, and they only may do so for permitted business functions. In addition, we use encryption when transmitting your personal data between your system and ours, and between our system and those of the parties with whom we share sensitive information, and we employ firewalls and intrusion detection systems to help prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your personal data.
8. Information concerning minors
Holiday Watchdog is a general audience site and does not offer services directed to minors. We do not knowingly collect data relating to minors. If a person whom we know is under 13 years of age sends us personal data, we will delete or destroy this information as soon as reasonably possible.
9. External links
10. International transfers
Whenever we store or transfer your personal data outside the European Economic Area, we will do so in accordance with applicable law and we will ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by implementing appropriate safeguards. Transfers of personal data are made :
- to a country recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of protection, or;
- to a country which does not offer adequate protection but whose transfer has been governed by the standard contractual clauses of the European Commission or by implementing other appropriate cross-border transfer solutions to provide adequate protection.
12. How you can contact us
If you have any questions or complaints about the processing of your personal data by us, please contact us here. You may also have the right to lodge a complaint to the supervisory authority about the way we process your personal data. We would, however, appreciate the chance to address your concerns before you approach the supervisory authority, so please contact us in the first instance.
Our full details are:Holiday Watchdog
400 1st Ave
Needham, MA 02494
Attn: Privacy Officer/Legal Department
In accordance with applicable data privacy law, we have appointed a representative within the European Union. The contact details of our representative are:Holiday Watchdog
7 Soho Square
Attn: Privacy Officer
Call Recording and Monitoring