About Wellington Hotel

• bath shower
  • hair dryer
  • baggage storage
  • express check in check out
  • coffee shop amenities
  • fax photocopying
  • salon
  • shops amenities
  • telephone
  • gift shop amenities
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • spanish amenities
  • desk
  • complimentary toiletries
  • iron
  • paid private parking on site
  • atm on site
  • 24 hour security
  • taxi service
  • on demand movies
  • valet parking amenities

1958

honeymoon in new york

Reviewed Mon 17th of September 2012

"Myself and my husband stayed at the Wellington hotel and must say that the staff were friendly and helpful the room was spotlessness clean fresh towels and maid service daily, the double bed was huge and so comfy air conditioning, full size flat screen TV with lots of channels available and pay per view movies but to be honest there's that much to see in new york you shouldn't have time to watch the TV, while we were there all the carpets in the halls and stairs were cleaned and steamed daily couldn't fault the cleaning staff and maids if you needed anything you just had to ask overall experience was great only one complaint we didn't book breakfast with our stay so ended up being quite expensive to get breakfast everyday but that was our fault for not booking, just a little tip for anybody going to the empire state if your interested in seeing the whole of new york from a great height the best view is actually at the Rockefeller center you can see the whole of new york including the empire state in full fantastic view "

• Travel date: Mon 17th of September 2012

Great base for exploring NY

Reviewed Fri 31st of August 2012

"The Wellington Hotel is in a great position for exploring New York. 10 mins from Times Square one way and 5 mins to Central Park the other way. Broadway is the next street along. The hotel itself has a great foyer. I booked a standard double room and said in my online booking that it was my first time in the US and the trip was a 40th birthday treat. I don’t know whether this helped but we had a great room, lounge area with sofa, dining table for two, double bed and tv. We had a further bedroom with double bed and a single bed, again with tv. Built in wardrobes and all the space you could need. The bathroom was tired with a 70s suite and peeling wallpaper, but it had a bath and the shower was powerful and warm. The kitchen area was tired but had microwave and fridge which is all you needed. I would recommend you take a travel kettle and mugs as there are no tea and coffee making facilities, you could of course go out every morning and buy in the numerous delis and cafes. Great hotel for a base, at a reasonable price and in a good position."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of August 2012

Very dissapointing would not recommend

Reviewed Fri 23rd of March 2012

"My friend and I booked this hotel via lastminute.com as we had stayed here a couple of years before with my mun and my aunties and thoroughly enjoyed it. My mum had contacted the hotel in advance to advise them it was my 21st birthday and could they give us 'nice view' of New York city. On arriving to the Wellington Hotel, we were told that the hotel was full and that we were being 'upgraged' to their sister hotel. The hotel staff were very rude and abrupt and not apologetic at all, we felt very disappointed after so much excitement about staying at the Wellington again.

On arrival to the 'upgraded hotel' we were very disappointed, the hotel was dark and dismal and we were not even expected!!, not a good start to our stay in New York.

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of March 2012

Average 3 star hotel

Reviewed Tue 19th of April 2011

"Generally the stay at the Wellington was good. The members of staff were all fairly friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean, and air conditioning was available but noisy! We used the tour buses to travel or just walked, and the hotel had a good central location. The hotel had a shop and a cafe attached. "

• Travel date: Sun 17th of April 2011

Fantastic hotel, would highly recommend!!

Reviewed Fri 29th of May 2009

"My husband and I stayed in the Wellington with his brother and wife for 4 nights in 2 rooms. I was a little worried because of the reviews but there was no need to be. Although the room was small, it was very clean and very comfortable with big TV and iron and ironing board. The staff were very helpful, the air con broke in my brother in laws room, they reported it on our way out for dinner and by the time we came back there was a whole new air con unit in their room. The location couldn't be better, it's next door to Carnegie hall, 5 mins in one direction to Times Sq and 5 mins the other way to central park, subway literally 7 steps from hotel door!!! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone!!"

• Travel date: Thu 28th of May 2009

Firstly do not listen to any of the revi...

Reviewed Sun 20th of January 2008

"Firstly do not listen to any of the reviews above! The hotel itself was absolutely fine. Stayed there for a week and NO complaints what so ever.

However we did visit in early August and was VERY hot and sticky...so if you don't fare well with heat I'd advise to go abit later in the year. Also please take on board that all though staff are friendly and helpful, i.e. Taxi drivers, waiters etc it is customary to tip in New York, as wages are low. So I hope that helps avoid any embarrassment, as they will not hesitate to ask!

Staff were friendly, approachable and hard working at all times. Especially the gift shop staff who gave us great advice on what to see and do, and you can book greyhound tours (you may have seen Red Grey Hound Buses in movies) with them at discounted prices-which we did.

Could not smell ANY sewage and could not hear any street noise, as complained about earlier.

The room was very clean and well maintained throughout our stay. Obviously this hotel was not luxury but it wasn't really Travel Inn either.

In great location opposite the main entrance is a Starbucks-so if you like your coffee, this is particularly convenient. Subway literally next door which takes you various locations, I would particularly recommend Canal Street/Princes Street for some bargains. Also nearby was a restaurant called 'Benash' or something, where we frequently ate breakfast-very nice and FILLING for a long day. 'Subway’ also next door and Times Square and Broadway just up the road.-Obviously this is a main tourist spot so expect for it to get VERY CROWDED especially at night time, if you want to see certain stores e.g. MTV Store do this in daytime, will save you alot of hassle. Literally five minutes round the corner from 5th Avenue.

I rated this hotel 10 for what it was, didn't pay over the odds and was really what we expected...not the Ritz, as could do with abit of a revamp. But the price, location, staff etc made up for this. And anyway if you’re going to NYC you definitely shouldn’t be spending alot of time indoors! Next time I'm in New York I will definitely stay with this hotel again and would recommend for anyone going to visit New York.

• Travel date: Sun 20th of January 2008

We (my wife and) I spent three nights th...

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2007

"We (my wife and) I spent three nights there over a weekend.

The location was excellent with a lot of sights and shops in the walking distance.

The room price was fair, so we understood that this was a 3-star hotel, not luxury. Yet, the lobby was very small and crowded all the time. The reception personnel were minimized causing constant lines at the counter.

The room was small and worn-out, and cleaning left something to be desired. Some items left by the previous guest, and under the bed.... (I'd better finish here).

Next time I will look for alternatives before booking here again.

• Travel date: Wed 10th of October 2007

An excellent hotel that didn't break the...

Reviewed Thu 7th of September 2006

"An excellent hotel that didn't break the bank! The hotel is on the corner of 7th Avenue West 57th St & is only a short walk from Times Square (I could see the lights from my window!).

The rooms were clean & comfortable & the service was fabulous from every member of staff (even down to finding a shop to buy New Rock Boots from lol). There is a brilliant little cafe (Park Cafe I think) built into the hotel building & it does great food all day long as well as room service for the hotel.

There is also a hairdresser that does the stars when they're in town too so if you're after the infamous 'Rachel' cut he's your man.

The one thing I will say about New York City itself is that you must be prepared to do a LOT of walking. There's so much to see and do and it's all worth doing!

All in all a thoroughly fantastic place and an amazing holiday, very much recommended.

• Travel date: Thu 7th of September 2006

Spent a long weekend here over Easter wi...

Reviewed Fri 19th of May 2006

"Spent a long weekend here over Easter with my teenage daughter. A treat before she goes to university later this year.

The reception staff were very helpful and efficient. The room was very clean and certainly adequate although slightly worn in places (notably the bathroom). The hotel is situated in a perfect position for most of the midtown sights and was unfortunately only a short walk from Bloomingdales. Well a short walk for us (Lancastrians) we are used to hills.

I would certainly use this hotel again. Note some people have complained about street noise. What do they expect this is a busy city not the Orkney Islands!"

• Travel date: Fri 19th of May 2006

The location of the Wellington was perfe...

Reviewed Mon 9th of January 2006

"The location of the Wellington was perfect- just a few blocks from Central Park and Broadway with a subway station just yards from the building.

The downside of this is that no-one- including garbage trucks, cement mixers, fire engines etc- sleeps in New York, so it was rather noisy at night! The hotel was in need of a lick of paint and some redecoration, and it certainly wasn't luxurious, but this was more than made up for by the friendly staff.

The doormen went out of their way to help us- especially Roger- advising us of places to see and where to avoid. There is a breakfast cafe in the hotel which seemed reasonably priced, but there were frequent queues so we went outside where there was plenty of choice with several diners, restaurants and fast food outlets in the immediate area.

There was also a small store within the building-again, with delightful staff- so you didn't have to go outside in search of a Hershey bar or some cola.

So..... don't book the Wellington and expect luxury, but remember, you can't beat the location or the staff!"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of January 2006

Expected a dodgy hotel as am used to 4-5...

Reviewed Wed 1st of December 2004

"Expected a dodgy hotel as am used to 4-5* (I am a travel agent). Very pleasantly surprised with this though.

Perfect position, big rooms, friendly staff (as opposed to the last time I was in the city and stayed in Salisbury). Would send people here no problem. Shower a bit dodgy (hence 9*)."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of December 2004

In December of 2004 and four last year m...

Reviewed Wed 1st of December 2004

"In December of 2004 and four last year myself and three friends went to New York or the Big Apple as you may call it. The 8 hour flight itself was a long one but once your there we had the excite of U.S customs which can be quite a wait. In total we were waiting in total about 1 hour. Having your picture taken at customs and identity checked does make you feel like a criminal but obviously with all the threats they have to be like that

Once through customs we walked out of JFK airport and it was about 30 minutes until we reached New York and it did feel like a long 30 minutes. The shuttle bus which took us to our hotel was old and rattley and the driver seem to have no care for other road users, but then again none of the road users in New York seem to worry about anyone. Once at destination the driver waited to be tipped we handed a handful of change but you could tell he was still standing there expecting more, but we said thank you and made our way across a road and over our hotel - The Wellington.

First impression of the hotel were good from the outside but as soon as we walked in there were bags everywhere and staff standing around just chatting amongst each other.

It took around 25 minutes to speak to someone on reception to check in, it was mayhem you could tell they were short staffed.

Once we had our key no bell boy was on hand to help so we made our way to our room, when approaching the lift up to our room you could smell something awful - raw sewage coming from below the lifts. The smell made my stomach turn.

We all crammed in to the tiny lift and went to our floor on approaching our room the fire alarm was hanging off the wall and the place was filthy dirty skirting board dusty floor. Once into our room we had dirty sheets and towels. The toilet was also stained. Worse still they had provided us with 1 single bed instead of 2.

New York as a whole is amazing fun. Has it fun side like the pubs but also its emotional side like The World Trade Centre which is a must to see the little church next to it that didn’t even brake a pain of glass.

I would never go back to the Wellington but I would go back to The Big Apple the shopping, the food and whole feel is amazing!!

• Travel date: Wed 1st of December 2004

Hotels near Wellington Hotel

Top traveller tips for Wellington Hotel

• M Mcgunigle by M Mcgunigle

"Do not book via lastminute.com "

Wellington Hotel is also called