The Standard, High Line

848 Washington St at West 13th Street, New York City, NY 10014-1308

Good

Breathtaking views

"The Room: Very stylish, well designed, really comfortable beds & lovely linens. Incredible views from the glass floor to ceiling windows.
The Service: Friendly, polite & attentive. Nice touch that breakfast is brought to your room.
The Location: The Meatpacking district is the perfect place to explore downtown. There are so many ultra-cool shops, bars and clubs. Very happening without being noisy.
Overview: My husband and I are very fussy travellers, but we've given this hotel full marks for everything with good reason. We've had a wonderful time and there isn't anything we can fault. We should add that we took advantage of the 'soft launch' rate at $195 a night which is why we gave top marks for value."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of March 2009

Hip Hotel in Meatpacking: Classy and Comfortable

"Stayed at hotel for long weekend and have plenty of raves: the staff had to be hired for their looks, but they are also competent and gracious. The tiny room - ours (908) overlooked one of the last meatpacking plants, and with a bird's eye view, we watched the trucks ride off loaded with carcases. Actually, it was "gritty" and fascinating and somehow very urban and real. Love the floor to ceiling windows (one opens - yes!) and it's great to have a table rather than desk (free wifi). No tub in this room, or robes for that peek-a-boo shower. Definitely needs a new shower head, as water spills all over the floor. Bed and linens were as fine as any I have stayed in NYC. Free continental breakfast was a plus - take advantage of transition rates while you can. We heard no construction or water pipe noise. Oh, and the drink prices in the downstairs bar are very reasonable; DJ plays on weekends. We used subway (10 min walk) - not as convenient as midtown if you are a theater buff, but we liked the varied neighborhood shops and restaurants. With Vince and Theory and Tory Burch shops open nearby, GAP won't be far behind. Go before the scene starts to look like Soho."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of March 2009

Great Stay at The Standard

"My wife and I had a wonderful stay recently at The Standard in the Meatpacking District of Manhattan. Rooms were normal NYC size, however the design seems to make the most of the space. Don't go with someone you're not too comfortable with as the shower looks out in to the living area. Pretty cool actually. The floor to ceiling windows make for a great view and I loved the 1970's-style appointments. The building itself, is an architectural masterpiece. Service was great and the staff was very friendly. Don't forget to have a drink downstairs in the Living Room Bar. Would definitely recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of March 2009

Fantastic hotel - fantastic location - book now!

"We just came back to Holland from 4 days in The Standard. We absolutely loved our stay - it was an extraordinary experience.

Our room (9.20) had an amazing view on the Hudson river. We looked right at the (far away) Statue of Liberty and could even see the Brooklyn Bridge from our room. The floor to ceiling windows are really great,

The rooms are small but very nice:
- comfy small bed
- great bathroom (albeit very wet as has been said before) with a very big tub
- big screen tv (which we didnt use because we rather looked at the view)
- big mini bar

Was everthing perfect? Well almost: if we'd have to name things, we found that there is not much space for your stuff in the room (just one closet behind a curtain) and we missed some accessories like a trash can. But really, this is nitpicking.

The only thing we found a bit annoying is that when the neighbours are running the water it is so loud that we couldn't hear our own music (which nicely ran from our iPod in the iPod dock clock radio/speakerset!). For a modern building it seems odd that the pipes are not isolated.

As for the hotel being under construction: we didn't notice this at all. Everything operates fine.

The lobby/bar is great and the outside terrace will be great in the summer. Staff was very friendly. What else can you wish for?

The neighbourhood - this is really one of the best area's in NY we think. Nice restaurants, nice shops and close to the West Village - which we also love.

Great restaurant across the street from the Standard if you like Asian food: Spice Garden. Pastis was nice too. To avoid: Revel: they lure you in with a fixed price menu and then tell you they only serve it until 19.30. But even worse: service and food were bad.

To get back to The Standard: subway is a 5 min walk from the hotel and it has a straight connection to JFK (AirTrain at subway stop Jamaica)

Lastly the rates are very good right now as they're preview rates because they're still finishing the hotel. But despite higher rates next time: we'll surely come back here!"

• Travel date: Thu 19th of February 2009

Great Chic Hotel

"We just returned from celebrating my birthday in NYC. The Standard Hotel really sets the standard for chic, comfortable and friendly hotels. We had a room with a fabulous view of the Hudson River, down to the Statue of Liberty. It's conveniently located for walking all over the city. The people were friendly and helpful. Michael showed us to our room and gave us the "room tour". We had reasonably priced drinks at the lounge off the very cool lobby..We enjoyed our free Continental breakfast along with a delicious herb and goat cheese omelet that was brought to our room each morning. The bed and linens were the most comfortable of any hotel I've ever been in. This hotel is not fully opened yet but I can't wait to go back when it's completed."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of February 2009

Fabulous New Hotel in MeatPacking!!!

"Took my girlfriend to The Standard on Valentine's Day 2009 for a romantic night away from home in NJ. We pulled up to this place, and the decor from the yellow chairs outside and the yellow doors is just amazing. I had to drive around the block once because I didn't know where to leave my car, but on the second time around - got so lucky and found a spot literally right next to the door. If you are just staying over on a weekend...you are allowed to park there and I recommend it as it saved me the $55 valet charge! The bellhop was nice as can be and took our bags for us as soon as I parked. We arrived at around 3:30pm and our room was not ready yet, however they offered us each a free drink which we were glad to take. An hour later, our room still was not ready (I was starting to get a little upset) but another complimentary drink each saved that from happening!) Finally, our room was ready, just a normal queen room with an "Empire View" What a tremendous view of the empire state building from our floor to ceiling windows! At night it was lit up for Valentines day in white red and pink!...so romantic and so wonderful. The room was perfect. A typical smaller NYC room, however it was very roomy with the most comfortable bed I have slept in in years. There is a nice 42 inch flat screen on the wall with a nice sitting area. One thing I would say about these rooms...dont go with someone you dont know very well! (and I mean very well!) The shower is completly see through. As you sit on the bed, you can see directly into the shower through the glass - very neat if your with your girlfried/wife..not so neat if your with a co-worker!! The bathroom is private, with a door. The tub is massive-and the shower was wonderful! There is no door on the shower so the floor can get a little wet! I had flowers waiting in the room for my girlfriend, which came out perfect from the conceirge! In the morning, just a phone call away was a commplimentary breakfast-brought straight to the room. Coffee, OJ, and pastries were perfect on a Sunday morning...and I didnt have to get out of bed! Overall a WONDERFUL hotel-with extremely accomodating (and good looking) staff!! Got a construction rate of $235 for a saturday night. Not a sound or look of construction on the weekends!! Would highly recommend!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of February 2009

Sexy Showers at the Standard

"Having visited The Standard in Miami, I've been looking forward to seeing what The Standard in NYC would offer in a town full of high-end unique hotels.

The hotel is still not complete and won't be for some time, I guess, but do not be afraid to book a room in the meantime. I didn't hear or see any evidence of the construction once inside the building, which is pretty impressive. And the staff does everything it can to make your stay comfortable. I was particularly impressed with the concierge--she actually KNEW the area unlike so many other concierges who take up space behind a desk and merely recommend people to the same 2 restaurants. I was trying to figure out what to do with my afternoon and she knew where I could get a haircut, where the best art gallery was, what the exhibits were like at a small nearby museum, what spas were good, where I should get a drink and where I should get dinner all within the neighborhood and her recommendations were all spot on. Management clearly understands good staffing.

That leads me to the best thing about this hotel--its location. This area is my favorite part of NYC. The restaurants and clubs are plentiful and good. And the buildings aren't so high. It's authentic NYC. And to be able to walk back to the hotel after experiencing it all is a plus for me.

My room at The Standard was good, although not super unique. But absolutely no complaints. Floor to ceiling windows create the view, a well-appointed and comfortable bed make for a good night of sleeping. As others have mentioned, the shower is separated from the bedroom by floor to ceiling clear glass, which I thought was pretty damn sexy. (Too bad the shower's design seems a little off as water was pouring into the bathroom and into the living room rug. I didn't mind it but I felt bad for the housekeeping staff.)

I'll definitely be heading back when it's complete to see what else it has to offer."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of February 2009

The NY Standard is beyond FABULOUS!

"Last night I stayed at the New York Standard - room 9.11 - and it was brilliant. Andre Balasz and his team really know how to put their stamp on things and create an experience that is so special. From the killer mini bar (although it is hardly mini), to the so very well thought out appointments, everything feels hand picked and just works perfectly. The bed was heavenly and the sheets were very high in thread count. The room somehow feels a bit like a cruise ship cabin and as with the other reviews, the views of New York City are by far the best I've ever experienced in a NYC hotel.

The staff was incredibly accommodating and attentive...and QUICK! And I can't go on without mentioning how gorgeous the staff is! Wow. The lobby bar is really chic and sexy but is the only lounge open at this time.

The hotel is only about half finished but they have made sure that you almost don't notice- they have an awesome variety of menus from restaurant in the area that deliver and the free breakfast delivered to our room within minutes of calling was delicious - scones and croissants and excellent coffee and OJ.

I am anxious to see the rest of the space and excited to frequent the top floor 360 degree view bar and restaurant. And they are supposedly building a restaurant and beer garden under the Highline - too cool. Summer cannot come soon enough!

I highly recommend The NY Standard - superior service. fantastic rooms. mind blowing views! Book it!"

• Travel date: Sat 17th of January 2009

Great service, Nicely appointed kinks to be worked out

Good

"We went for New Year's Eve even though we live in New York as we wanted to see the inside of the hotel, and was closer to where we would be going out for the evening.

We stayed in a Superior King.

Service was excellent. Champagne on arrival, personally shown to our room. Although, lots of confusion about late check out next morning and staff unclear how to resolve until we spoke with the manager.

Room was minimal, and quite lovely. Nice couch, table, platform bed, large TV. Lighting over bed fantastic, rest of lighting in room needed dimmers, too bright (light in common hallway terrible...bright fluorescent orange, why?). Bathroom: open shower a problem, water goes everywhere, including all over curtains which you have to use as you're a bit on display. Bed was super comfy. View amazing."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of January 2009

Nice Hotel Great Views

"Saw initial review on Curbed.com, decided to call and book room for New Years Eve, was going to a NYE event at Tenjune. Awesome rate for NYE $195 for superior queen.

Check in was simple, can tell they are still working on the process, as the property has only been open for a few weeks, and is still under construction.

Room was located on 8th floor, hallway lighting a little to much for me, a radiant orange glow, not really mood lighting for me but was a different approach.

Immediately, when walked into room , awesome view of the hudson and downtown, floor to ceiling windows. Bathroom was to the right (sink, soaking tube and shower), I tripped going into the bathroom, floor raised with glossy black tiles. A little to modern for my taste but unique.

Bed faced windows and TV was on a stand directly in front of the bed, and a small sitting area with a table and bench seating across the wall. Again awesome view from bed, but close shade at night, the sun this morning was blinding.

One thing about this particular room , do not stay with someone whom you do not intimately, as the shower/bathing area is completely open to the bed area. You can jump into the tub from the bed, as there is just a open frame behind the bed directly into the tub.

Only issue I had with my room was the shower, upon showering, the floor was apparently not graded properly and the water was flowing into the common area, when it should have gone down the drain in the floor. I had to use the majority of the towels to soak up the water on the floor in front of the sink. To the hotels credit, we received a $50 credit from the hotel.

Forgot to mention the toilet was in a small enclosure (with a door with a mirror) to the left as you walk into the room.

Overall, a nice hotel, nice staff, awesome view, and for the cost on a holiday in NYC a great stay.

Time will tell when the hotel is "complete" how the Standard do in the city."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of January 2009

discuss the divine dolphin

"I want to make sure a discuss the divine dolphin dot com where Sierra works and sets up encounters with wild whales and dolphins so how long have you been doing that I’m wink I've always loved dolphins and whales my whole life but my first actual time to get in the water with them was you a 1997 and it completely changed my life I knew I’d come home so it's actually a kind of funny story I was working as a paralegal at the time in Santa Cruz California and I'm I do I needed to go back I knew thesis what I needed to do so I start I contacted by the captain said I admit out there ./

• Travel date: Tue 11th of November 2014

Hotels near The Standard, High Line

Stayed at The Standard, High Line? Share your insight.

The Standard, High Line is also called