About The Roxy Hotel Tribeca

• pets allowed

Good

I’d read a lot of horrible reviews abo...

Reviewed Mon 31st of May 2004

"I’d read a lot of horrible reviews about New York City hotel rooms- small, and generally not good value for money. Couple that with the infamy of New Yorkers and their alleged rudeness, and I have to admit I was nervous about my five day trip to New York.

The Tribeca Grand Hotel was fantastic- the rooms were modern, clean, and roomy for your cash- there was even a TV in the bathroom! The staff were awesome- the concierge had a list of restaurants and cafes to eat in everyday we were there and was always giving us little tips about where to shop and visit without being completely overwhelming. We ate in the hotel restaurant and didn’t order starters or dessert, and three waiters fell over themselves to bring us aperitifs and a small selection of dessert pieces for us to try, which we didn’t pay for.

Outside of the hotel, I’d recommend central park- an oasis of tranquillity in this fast city, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The remains of the World Trade Centre- to remind you of the very fragility of human life and to make the most of it while you can.

It is a city of contrasts- extreme wealth versus extreme poverty but certainly never dull. The most colourful place I have visited in a long time."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004

Just okay.

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Mixed feelings about the hotel. If you can get a good rate, then consider it, but not worth more than what we paid ($209 per night).
Good location as far as the subway was concerned (the C train is about 1/2 block away, which was great), but not much right near the hotel as far as little grocery stores, bars, etc.

The room was fine, but could definitely be more clean. We found someone's dvd borrow list in the made bed (really weird) and a few stray hairs, too. Bed was comfortable, and the room was a decent size - not large, but decent (the Grand King). The bathroom was nice - small tv, and good linens and bath products. Nice size shower and pretty good water pressure.

Again, if you can get a deal its fine, but otherwise it just wouldn't be worth it.

Oh, and also, there was a weird smell in the lobby most of the time."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of January 2004

Yuck

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"Fake hip, all the way. way overpriced for what you get. The employees were quite nice, but the accomodations are all smoke and mirrors. tiny, unsoulful rooms, average quality linens, noisy. there is a cost for in-room internet service. so what if you get to sit on an aeron chair.
there was actually no heat or hot water for about 6 hours on the day i checked in due to repairs. and this was in january. food was mediocre and overpriced. i would definitely not stay here again, unless they cut the rates in half."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of January 2004

Pay the price for chic.

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"Stayed here for New Year's Eve, but did not spend the $125 to attend the fancy bash that they held there. The lounge is very sexy, and very hip, and I even indulged in their over priced drinks. The staff were all very friendly and I experienced no such issues with "snobbiness".

I loved the location though - near Chinatown and Soho... very different from staying in Times Square. I found that it was much more authentic.

The room was a tad small, but the bathroom was very modern, complete with a TV! The goldfish was a nice touch as well.

I would definitely recommend this hotel - though it is rather pricey."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of January 2004

Highly Recommended

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"If you're not into sight seeing or a crowded city, Tribeca Grand is where you should stay. This hotel is highly recommended if your ever in NY. The rooms are not as crammed as the ones in the city, the staff is extremely welcoming and friendly, installed in the bathroom is a mini tv, the area of the hotel location is quiet and quaint, and lastly, there's complimentary coffee and hot coco on every floor which my friends and I absolutely loved. Conveniently, right across the street theres a pharmacy and a little further down the street there's a little Japanese restaurant which is also recommended. Forget stayin' in the city, Tribeca Grand is definetely a place I would stay if I were ever in NY again."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of January 2004

Ideal base for a four day sightseeing trip.

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"I had read through the reviews on Tripadvisor and the two concerns seemed to be noise and staff attitude. I e mailed the hotel's head of hospitality directly to raise both issues and was told they had gone to great lengths to minimise the noise problem (which I wasn't too bothered about anyway, New York is a vibrant city and I have earplugs!) also I was assured that the staff would ensure we had a good time. I was given excellent rates and it was worth every penny. The staff were warm, helpful and welcoming. The concierge, Kevin was great. He organised everything for us, restaurant bookings, transport, theatre tickets with ease and nothing seemed too much trouble. None of our party were icons of fashion but there was no 'sniffiness' from any of the staff, including the cocktail waitresses! The doorman were always chatty and humourous despite their cool black outfits. The room facilities were more than adaquate, very stylish and modern. The bathroom was very trendy! We only had room service breakfast in the hotel and that was delicious and wellpresented. The hotel was in easy walking distance to Greenwich Village, Soho, Little Italy, Ground Zero and Taxis were very cheap to run up to Midtown and further north. All in all, I would recommend this hotel, leave all your planning to the wonderful Kevin, smile at the staff and they'll smile back, take earplugs if you're worried about the noise but I slept like a log without them in the wonderfully comfortable bed."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of December 2003

worst hotel experience ever

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"I was appalled at the tiny rooms and the terrible room decor. My room looked like the inside of an Amtrak train car with creepy metal sinks and small, ugly TV set.

I stayed on Friday and Saturday nights and the music from the bar in the center of the hotel atrium kept me up until 1:00am on Friday and 2:30am on Saturday.

When I called to complain on Saturday night the front desk offered to make my room services from the previous night complimentary. That was very nice but on check out of course the meal was still on my bill.
When I asked to have it removed the incredibly rude staff accused me on "scamming" him.

Staying at the Tribeca Grand hotel was the worst hotel experience I've ever had!!"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of November 2003

Much better than I expected...

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"...given most of the reviews on this site.

The room ( a grand king on upper floor) was pretty comfortable for two.
The bathroom was a bit on the small side (but large enough by European standards). Yes the in room refreshment centre is expensive but there is a small grocery store just across from the hotel on Church Street (unfortunatley I didn't discover it until my last day).

Generally, the staff were polite and welcoming, although cocktail waitresses in the Church Lounge were a bit off-ish (however the friendly male bartenders more than made up for it).

I think rooms now have a white noise machine as I had no problems with noise.

I would definitely stay here again provided I got a good discount on the room rates."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of November 2003

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Stayed here 16/10 to 19/10. It was a really nice hotel in a good area and we had no problems at all. Room was nice and there was no noise from the bar, they seem to have that all under control as I was worried about that before we went after reading the reviews on here. No problems with the cocktail waitresses either, they were actually very polite and attentive. Drinks were pricey but to be expected in a hotel such as this."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of October 2003

Style, but no substance

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"Disliked this place intensely. Noise from the late night party was intolerable, rooms are decorated in a very trendy way, but dingy and unattractive in my view. Nice selection of cds, horrific overpricing on everything. Business centre was a joke, although it did have the only helpful person on front offfice staff. Doormen are cute, but not a lingering memory. Wont be back."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of October 2003

Not great

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"Stayed at the Tribeca Grand Sept 2003. The room was okay, not big but as expected. The CD's and player were good, the mini bar/room tray stuff possably the most expensive ever but well stocked. We had problems when our room key stopped working and the staff were horrendously rude about it. They were also really unhelpful about booking a car to the airport, which I've never had a problem with in a hotel before. Well situated but we'd rather save the money and stay at the cosmopolitan where the staff treat you as guests not dirt."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of September 2003