Exterior of James

Good

Nearly perfect! And what a bargain. Safe neighborhood.

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"So great! This place was such a bargain. The lobby is currently being renovated, so understand that when you arrive and step inside, it will look not great, but the rooms are FANTASTIC. Small-ish (but all NY hotel rooms are) but everything from the linens on the bed, to the excellent decor and the lovely bathroom were perfect. This is a GREAT location in the middle of Manhattan, close to The Gramercy Tavern (one of NY's best restaurants) and is just about 4 blocks from the Empire State Building. My room (814) actually had a view of the top half of the Empire State Building, which was an excellent surprise for a first-time visitor to NYC. Stay here - not something more expensive - and use the money you are saving to eat better and shop better in NY. Service from the women who work there (mostly on the phones as you corrdinate your trip) could be friendlier, but the boys who work there are great and if you get to know them early, they can be a big help getting you cabs which can be tough at rush hour."

• Travel date: 19th September 2004

Excellent, but IMPORTANT hotels warning

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"The Carlton is a highly recommendable, inexpensive (currently) central Manhattan hotel, on a very safe street walkable to many attractions and restaurants (though a good hike to the nearest subway stop). The rooms are very classy and have GLACIAL air conditioning (awesome). We stayed September 2nd in a 9th floor room with no appreciable view, but good dimensions for NYC and very high quality bedding and furnishings clearly representative of a four-star hotel, which the Carlton will be once renovation is complete (proceeding slowly but surely). All-marble bathrooms feature excellent water pressure and Gilchrist & Soames toiletries. The building itself has a very appealing, historic facade, though no appreciable common areas currently; staff was efficient and pleasant in their very limited counter / window space. For $130 through hotels.com or even at hotel-direct rates, this is a steal for a quality room even while only limited hotel services (delivery from outside restaurants, free access to a nearby health club) operate. BOOKING CONCERN: Hotels lost our reservation. If I had not called to confirm earlier in the day (the last of the Republican National Convention), I would have been out of luck. Thankfully, staff worked out a shift for us. Please excercise caution when booking with hotels. Matt from moonrings (review independent of MoonRings services)"

• Travel date: 6th September 2004

Pleasantly Surprised

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"I've used this site in the past and on this trip and it hasn't steered me wrong yet. So, I figure I should contribute to the community with a quick review. I've stayed in a few different hotels in NYC and this one is at the top of the value list. Through a very popular hotel site I got a rate of $140 with tax and charges for a queen size bed on a Friday night for my girlfriend and I. While, there was some evidence of the renovation in the hotel (closed off elevator bank and the ice machine room) our hotel room was amazing. We had a corner room and for NYC standards it was huge. The bed was extremely comfortable- down everything, and the rest of the furniture- oak, and bathroom- marble was also very nice. Contrary to a few comments I read on this site before I book this trip I found the staff to be courteous and helpful. They helped us with directions and provided a map. All in all, while I like to check out new places, if this price came around again I would definitely go back."

• Travel date: 29th August 2004

Excellent rooms overall

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"We had an excellent stay at the Carlton. For the price ($120/night + 1 night free), the Carlton is very luxurious - considering the NYC hotel market. I was especially pleased that our room actually looked like the pictures - we had a great king bed w/ a down-like comforter (a huge step up from the scratchy felt blankets in most hotels), down pillows, and (I think) Frette sheets. The bathroom, though small, was done in marble and was elegantly decorated. The other parts of the hotel are undergoing renovation. The lobby is small, so in peak times, there were a lot of people waiting (the staff was only 2-3 at most times). My advice is to check in at an off-peak time if possible. Also, the elevators were small and slow as was reported in several of the reviews. For us, this was not a big deal, we took the stairs several times. We found the staff to be neither rude nor particularly helpful. Overall, if you are not focused on a big, grand lobby or spacious elevators, but are strictly concerned w/ having a good, plush room, the Carlton is the place to go."

• Travel date: 28th August 2004

Truly a pleasurable stay

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"I have to say that I was very happy with my experience at this hotel. To me, the room is the most important aspect of a hotel stay. The newly renovated room was beautiful, clean and nicely furnished. The bed was extremely comfortable. The staff was very nice and accomodating, with the exception of one of the bellhops who seemed to be pretty lax about his duties. I won't say which bellhop because it woud be unfair to let him be prejudged by future guests. Personally, this exception did not bother me in the least. What else did I like? They served coffee every morning and it was better than Starbucks! This hotel was so nice that it was a pleasure to come back to after a busy day in NYC. Highly recommended."

• Travel date: 25th August 2004

Great Room, Great Location, Great Price

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"We could not have been more pleased with our stay at The Carlton! We were a little nervous of what it would be like, because the other reviews on tripadvisor were mixed. We were there for our 1st Anniversary in July, 04. The building was under construction, but our floor was completed, and we never heard the noise of construction. The room was absolutely beautiful with a rich marble counter in the bathroom, beautiful crown moldings and accents, and a cozy down comforter; the perfect atmosphere for our anniversary vacation, and our first trip to the Big Apple. (The only thing: the elevator was small and very slow. We took the stairs most days. I'm sure this will be corrected once the renovations are complete.) The staff was pleasant and the location was perfect. We walked to Central Park, Times Square, and the Empire State Building. A short subway ride got us to Lower Manhattan and The Bronx. You will not be disappointed!"

• Travel date: 9th August 2004

clean, quiet, comfy, convenient, affortable

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"Good: - the room is clean, quiet, good air conditioning, more comfortable than my condo - the bathroom is big, 2 people can walk in there - convenient location, at Madison Ave/29th St, can walk to subway, bus, empire... - free coffee/tea in the morning, very good coffee - I stayed for 6 nights: $110 for the first 5 nights, 6th night free - would definitely stay here again for this price Bad: - not enough elevators, but the traffic volume is low, so usually not a problem Other: - the construction is not an issue at all"

• Travel date: 24th July 2004

Very Rude Staff

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"I was a little disappointed with the Carlton because I called when I arrived in New York City at 6:30am and asked if I could check in early and they told me that I could check in as soon as 9am, however, when I pulled up to the Carlton at 7:30am, they told me that they would not be able to check me in until 3pm. They were incredibly rude about the whole situation. The bellhop doesn't do anything...he just stands there. He didn't help us with our huge bags up the hotel steps or even open the door. When we were finally checked in at 11:30am (they had a room available), the bellhop told us to take our luggage to our rooms ourselves. He was very rude, even making rude comments. Also, I had paid $20 extra per night because I had a third person staying, however, they were only going to give me one queen bed...for three people! They had no problems taking the extra money for the extra person, but they weren't going to give me an extra bed. So I ended up having to pay ANOTHER $25 per night for the extra bed. DO NOT stay in this hotel unless you don't mind rude people."

• Travel date: 22nd July 2004

CAN BE GREAT WITH FASTER RENOVATION

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"The Carlton's room and lobby was nice and presentable during its renovation but I had to wait for almost 5 hours for my room. They have offered me a room to freshen up but I wanted my room to sleep in before I go to my Brooklyn tour. The front desk was very nice and sympathetic while I wait for a room. When I finally got my room, their hot water in their shower did not work. The price for the room was okay but I hope their services improve. Their hotel management will suffer if they do not finish their renovation soon."

• Travel date: 18th July 2004

Great hotel, great value

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"We stayed at the Carlton in May 2004 for $150 per night for 4 nights through the Express-Res web-site. I was a little worried about sharing a double bed since I'm use to queen size - but the double bed was just fine for both of us, very comfortable beds. The room was a little snug (the door hits the bed upon entering) but it was fine for the two of us. The room was very clean and had nice new decor. Only one out of three elevators worked (fits 4 people) so it was very slow at times, but the employees pointed out the service elevator down the hall that was larger and moved quicker. They were still renovating the first 3 floors but the work never disturbed us. There is a small store/deli just a block or two up the street that is open 24 hours. There are plenty of places to eat within just a few blocks of the hotel in just about any direction. The subway is a short walk and catching a cab was pretty easy (except Friday early evening). There are a couple things that bothered me: 1 - The bathroom had a lot of wasted space. The sink/mirror area is too small for two people to use and no counter space. But bathroom has extra space on the opposite wall. They should use that space and put in an extra vanity - just a counter top, mirror and outlet would be nice. 2- Our room was near the elevators so it was very noisy during check out times. You could hear every suitcase that rolled past the door. Overall, we will go back to this hotel again (if the price still fits my budget) We had a great visit and I will recommend it to all my friends."

• Travel date: 18th July 2004