Good
Good
2073

My friends and I (5 of us in total) went...

Reviewed Thu 24th of January 2008

"My friends and I (5 of us in total) went to New York for some Christmas shopping. We departed on the 30th of November and returned on the 5th of December. We stayed in the Affinia Manhattan hotel on 7th Ave just across from Madison Square Gardens.

The Affinia Manhattan was situated right in the Heart of the City, just a short walk to Time square and just 2 blocks from Macys. The Hotel was warm and extremely clean, the kitchen area was perfectly adequate with a cooker, microwave, coffee machine, fridge etc. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

I would highly recommend this hotel for both local and facilities. Late November and early December ( after Thanksgiving ) is also a great time to go to New York as this time is the begining of their post thanksgiving / pre Christmas sales."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of January 2008

What a hotel lovely, a perfect place to...

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2007

"What a hotel lovely, a perfect place to stay whilst in Manhattan although maybe a bit pricey for someone on a budget. Stay towards the upper floors this will make sleeping a bit easier due to some heavy traffic noise that can happen.

All the staff from check in to checking out were very helpful and friendly and our room was also very comfortable. try and get the corner rooms too if possible this can get you some very scenic views again especially if up high. can’t complain at all really about the hotel.

Great location too for all the wannabe shoppers Macys just around the corner but can be worth venturing down to century 21 near the site of the twin towers there you can also bag a bargain or two.

If doing the tourist thing get up and go see the Empire state building prebook and do this early it will be busy you will be shocked at the queues if you don’t.

Apart from our breakfast we didn’t really use the restaurant too many options within a short walk, a fav we try and do is the hard Rock cafe when on our trips and there is a nice one just on Times Square. But there are so many options out there you won’t go hungry that’s for sure and it won’t hurt your pocket as you can eat for a wide variety of budgets.

getting about too is not difficult from here plenty of yellow cabs pass by and within 100 yards or so is the Penn Street Station that can get you all across town in a breeze.

This is a highly recommended hotel when I find myself again in New York this will be my first place to try and stay at.. no bad points to say from me.. hope there won’t be either from you if you give it a go."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of December 2007

New York is a fantastic city and we foun...

Reviewed Sat 6th of January 2007

"New York is a fantastic city and we found the Affinia Manhattan an excellent base.

We had a one bedroom suite - huge comfy bed, small kitchen, nice lounge area and 2 bathrooms. The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful.

It is just around the corner from Macy's and The Empire State Building and within reasonable walking distance of all the main tourist attractions.

Although I have no idea how far it was we even walked to Battery Park for the ferry to The Statue of Liberty. We were so enthralled with actually being there we just didn't notice the distance, plus, SoHo (on the way) is a lovely part of the city with some great shops which we'd have missed out on if we'd taken the subway.

Talking of trains, be sure to visit Grand Central Station, it's beautiful.

This was our first Virgin holiday and it certainly won't be the last, it cost a little more than some of the other operators but we found their service faultless.

For anyone considering a break in New York I cannot recommend it highly enough- brilliant from start to finish!"

• Travel date: Sat 6th of January 2007

I have stayed in this hotel on many occa...

Reviewed Wed 6th of December 2006

"I have stayed in this hotel on many occasions since 1987 when it was previously called the Southgate Towers. It has now become a "home from home" on my visits to Manhattan.

The rooms are spacious and well decorated, the staff are excellent. The beds and pillows have all been upgraded and make a big difference.

If you ask nicely you can get one of the higher floors to try to quieten down the noise of New York, especially as you are outside Penn Street Station and Madison Square Gardens. Some of the rooms have great views of the Empire State Building.

The kitchen areas are really handy as there is a deli just down the block which sells everything you might need. There are nice restaurants nearby and you are only a few blocks from all of the midtown sights.

This hotel is everything you would expect from a well run New York Hotel. It seems that the British like it very much too as it is normally booked up well in advance on the Virgin Holidays site."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of December 2006

I would definitely recommend this hotel...

Reviewed Tue 14th of March 2006

"I would definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends. The location is fantastic, right across from Penn St Station, so if you are flying into Newark, a short train journey will take you directly to your hotel. The hotel is also well placed for Madison Square Gardens, The Empire State building and Macy's. Grey Line have a tour bus stop one block away and it is easy to walk to Broadway, Fifth avenue and Grand Central.

The rooms are super! I have stayed in a studio suite once and a one bedroom suite too, which came with two bathrooms. For a New York hotel, you will be amazed at the sizes of the rooms. There is plenty of storage and the kitchen facilities are great for making tea in the morning or bringing back a pizza after a long day on your feet!

The hotel has a fabulous restaurant and bar downstairs which I would definitely recommend.

Staff are always very helpful and will go out their way to ensure that you enjoy your stay. Take advantage of the pillow menu- it’s a luxury. The hotel also offers a range of tour packs which include walkmans and maps to guarantee that you make the most of your trip to the city.

I have no complaints about this hotel and would not think twice about returning again."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of March 2006

I would heartily recommend this hotel. I...

Reviewed Fri 10th of February 2006

"I would heartily recommend this hotel. It was previously called the Southgate tower hotel. The service was excellent, the staff were so friendly. Nothing was too much trouble.

The room we stayed in had a small kitchenette attached so grabbing food and drink from the nearby shop was great, meaning we could have breakfast in bed!!!! The room was brilliant. They had recently updated all the mattresses and you had a choice of 4 different types of pillows.

If you didn't like the ones in the room, you could phone reception and choose from the different options left in the guest information book!!"

• Travel date: Fri 10th of February 2006

location,location,location-great,great,great

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"stayed at southgate towers, my first trip to new york, found the kocation was great, as grand central was a short walk away and it is very middle of manhat! also felt safe walking to and from hotel at night- great kitchen in room, friendly and helpful porters, restaurant -great food- room service hamburger- the best my husband ever had- and my vegi pasta was great too.
advise anyone to get a flexi-pass type ticket for the tube they are great value. would certainly use southgate towers again.

jo- manchester, england"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of April 2004

Wonderful Hotel

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Myself and partner went with my best friend and her partner to celebrate our 40th birthday. Stayed for 5 nights, and our room on the 15th floor was wonderful. Was very surprised at the size of room, and the bathroom was superb..sparkly clean. Kitchen well equiped and the tea and coffee replenished daily as were the towels. Maid rewashed the crockery even when I had done it. Don't get a room above the 23rd floor as they have not been revamped yet (so my friend found, but was rehoused on a lower level, which was again, a very high standard). We asked if we could extend our check out after midday as we weren't being collected until 3pm, and although they were v busy, they let us extend 1 room, which was a great help (and at no extra charge). Hotel located just across the road from Penn Station which is really handy for the subway. Macys a short stroll and times square about 10 minutes walk away. Could see the Empire State from our window, and everything a tourist from England wanted to see was easily reachable. Would highly recommend this hotel, and will stay there again next time we visit."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of April 2004

Great rooms

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"The Southgate Tower rooms are huge compared to other hotels I have stayed in in NYC. The staff could not be nicer. It is a grande hotel and the hustle and bustle of the lobby is invigorating. Perfect if you are attending MSG or want to shop at Macy's. Their newly renovated bar and eatery is so "NEW YORK". Well done."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of April 2004

excellent

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Arrived at hotel at 11 a.m. We figured we would leave bags and come
back at check in time. Front desk said a room was ready for check in,
so we did!

Hotel is at corner from Penn Station. I thought this was a great location, as we used the subway for everything.

Room was large, clean, and modern. Bathrooms were very clean and nice. Water pressure was great and hot. We were on the 6th floor, no view, but we were barely in the room. Heard no noise from neighbors (don't know if we had any)

Street noise could be heard, but it didn't disturb my sleep. Would definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of April 2004

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Took my partner for her 40th birthday, had a wonderful time. The rooms were very spacious, clean with all the mod cons working. Staff were extremely helpful. Location couldn't be better for shopping, broadway, sights. Don't listen to anyone when they tell you not to use the subways, i thought they were safer than the underground. Anyway would highly recommend the Southgate & will stay there agian next time in New York."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of April 2004

Just Perfect!

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"I booked a room via the hotel website after the excellent reviews I had read on this sight. Got a very good price on a one bed suite ($886 for 4 nights) and mentioned in my booking that the trip was for my father's 65th Birthday. Couldn't fault anything about this hotel - Location was excellent, Staff were friendly and very helpful and our room was fantastic. It was huge with a full size kitchen and large lounge area.
The room (2202) had a balcony that was so large the suite had three different doors leading out onto it, and probably the best view of the empire state building anywhere in New York. On arrival my dad was given a gift package that included wine, chocolates and a birthday card, which was a very nice touch. For all round value for money, location and service I would include this as one of my favourite hotels so far."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of March 2004