Skyline Hotel

725 10th Avenue At 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019-7199

Good

The Skyline is a very decent hotel, with...

Reviewed Tue 22nd of January 2008

"The Skyline is a very decent hotel, with friendly staff. I took my girlfriend here to propose (she said yes). The rooms are basic but I promise you, if you go to New York you spend very little time in your hotel. The staff were very helpful. Concierge will book any trip that you may want to go on and they will get you a discount too.

Food is good and breakfast is served at 6am. Because of the time difference you will be wide awake at 4am! We had a great night at the bar in this hotel.

Ask reception for a bus and subway map and they will point you in the right direction, the subway seems daunting but it is easy to use, and safe at day $2 anywhere in city.

The only negative I can give on hotel is that construction had just started taking place on what maybe be another skyscraper across road. Although we heard nothing at the time when we were there."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of January 2008

Rooms were clean and tidy and had regula...

Reviewed Mon 16th of July 2007

"Rooms were clean and tidy and had regular maid service. Downstairs was a bar / restaurant which was friendly and clean. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Full of suggestions about where to go and what to do.

Very well placed and everything we wanted to do was within easy reach on foot. We did decide to head down to the Financial District on day to see Ground Zero so took a taxi there which we hailed with enormous ease from outside.

Would recommend again. Not 4* but in this city you have so much to do that this more than fulfils requirements.

Would recommend to couples, singles and families alike."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of July 2007

I stayed in New York in Nov 2006 for 5 n...

Reviewed Mon 25th of June 2007

"I stayed in New York in Nov 2006 for 5 nights, everything there is huge.

I stayed in the Skyline hotel which was given 3 stars in the brochure. The hotel was ok but was quite a hike from any of the main attractions.

There was 2 star hotels closer to the main sights but because the Skyline had an indoor pool it got 3 stars, so be careful of this when booking.

New York itself is like walking around a movie set, you see so many things from films etc. Central park is great, it’s too big to see all of it, but it’s a really nice place to go to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

When I was there the veterans parade was on, which was nice to see but you couldn’t get across roads to get to certain sights.

I saw most of the main attractions the empire state building (it’s worth paying the extra to jump the queues), the Rockefeller centre (I would recommend going near Christmas as it is all lit up) there are too many sights to mention.

I would recommend going to Century21 which is a clothes shop near ground zero the prices were ridiculously cheap and it was all designer stuff. Definitely go to see a movie I went twice it was so good.

New York is a really great place to go once you get over the awe of where you are (its very daunting when you first arrive). Taxis are fairly cheap but I preferred walking as you get to see a lot more."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of June 2007

The hotel looks very nice when you first...

Reviewed Sun 24th of June 2007

"The hotel looks very nice when you first enter. The lobby is impressive, and the bar and restaurant were good. The food was lovely.

However our room did not look like the picture in the brochure! I think they renovated the hotel and forgot to do our room. It looked like a '70's B & B. It didn't affect our holiday a great deal though as we were hardly in our room.

The only thing I would advise people to think about before booking this hotel is that it is not in the best area! It is on 10th avenue and 49th street which is about 3 blocks from Times Square, but is quite a walk from most attractions and sights.

Walking back to our hotel late one night after the theatre was a little daunting, although we were never hassled by anyone.

If you're looking for an authentic New York experience then I suppose this is it! True neighbourhood life on your door step!"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of June 2007

Diamond in the ruff

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"I had to come out for a business trip to visit the Stella Triple Pier Antique Shows- this hotel was very good for me. When I checked in, to my surprise, they had overbooked the standard rooms, and in light of this, upgraded me to a 2 room suite for free. Certainly it wasn't a Caesar's Palace suite- but it was comfortable, clean and had a decent view. The staff was friendly and helpful- the concierge was very personable. It was close to the areas I needed to be in- and it was quiet. I had a great experience here and will definitely return on my next trip to NYC."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of March 2004

Totally amazing deal!

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"$100 a night in NYC. Blocks from Broadway and Times Square. Count me in! Have stayed here twice, and have already made reservations for next X-mas. I can't use Priceline...we need a guaranteed two beds when travelling with the kids, so the deals are harder to come by. This is probably one of the best deals in Manhattan you can find. Now I didn't say best hotel! But it was really better than I expected. Clean, quiet, convenient. Safe. Thanks Skyline, keep your prices where they are and I will be back!

I will say they have just added a new reservation interface on their website (www.skylinehotelny.com) that is not good. I hope they change it back. It was easier to tell what was available at what price before."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of March 2004

liked it

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We asked for a revovated newer room...It was quiet and comfortable and I remember the parking fee was cheaper than most NY hotels. Only negative that I remember (we stayed here about 1 year ago) was that it took a wait of over 1/2 hour to get our luggage after we'd stored it with management. Also it is a little out of the way from most NY activities/attractions."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of February 2004

Warm and Welcoming

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"I have just returned from New York while taking my elderly mother there, we stayed at the Skyline Hotel, we could not have wished for a better place to stay, very friendly staff and very helpful, we had a very large room that accomodated two very large double beds, the room was very clean and was cleaned every day the only issue we had was that if you fancied a lie in, putting the "Do not disturb" sign on your door goes unoticed, the maid will still come in, so beware. The Hotel restaraunt is quite resonably priced and very nice food. It is a short walk to Times square and the shopping Mall. Definatly go on the 4 hour coach tour this will cost £27.00 for 4 hours but is well worth it. We would stay at this hotel again."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of February 2004

Thumbs up for the Skyline Hotel

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"We've just returned from a 4-night break in New York staying at the Skyline Hotel. We found it to be very clean, the staff were helpful & it's only a 10 - 15 minute walk from the Rockefeller Center, 5th Ave & Broadway. We'll be back soon."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of February 2004

No Complaints about Skyline

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"I stayed in the Skyline Hotel January 5th through 9th 2004 and have no complaints about my visit. The room was spacious and clean, the staff members were friendly, and the concierge was extremely helpful. The location was ideal for getting to Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza, and the subway-- only a few minutes walk. Several diners and restaurants lined the street near the hotel, and most delivered directly to the hotel, which was convenient for late-night dinners. The view from the pool area on the top floor was beautiful. Even if you don't use the pool, go up there anyway (especially at night), and bring your camera.
It's worth it."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of February 2004

Great hotel

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"Had a really good stay here. The room was nice and big, we got 2 double beds, even though we only booked for 1. Nice clean bathroom with shower and bath. Convenient to order food - you can order from in the hotel, or from any of the nearby diners/delis and they will deliver to the hotel. Didn't have the best of views from our room, but we were only in there to sleep - didn't bother us too much. The view from the 9th floor where the swimming pool is is excellent, you can see the empire state building etc. clearly. Heating/AC was a little noisy, but we slept perfectly with it on all night, so it's not that bad. Not the best location, a few blocks from Times Square, but we didn't have a problem walking there whenever we wanted to. Metro station closeby too."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of February 2004

great hotel booked again for this year

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"Found this hotel quite by accident on the Internet. My daughter and I were having a girlie shopping trip in March 2003. I was a bit worrid about the location but once we have settled in and had a quick look round I realised it would be OK. The Staff were pleasant and efficent and we had a room with 2 beds overlooking the hotel entrance. We tried breakfast in the hotel on the first day, a bit of a mistake , there are plenty of other places offereing better choice and cheaper, so avoid eating in the hotel. Bus service is great and a much better way of seeing the city than the subway. Someone did tell us that only poor people used the bus but we didn't care, the entertainment factor ( one bus trashed a taxi one day) was well worth it. If you are staying more than 3 days go to the Subway and buy a 7 day ticket it works out cheaper, the hotel only sells day passes We were caught in a deli across the road by what I understand is a common scam in the USA. I gave the man a $20 note whihc he took out of my view to the till and he gave me change for $10. When I said I had given him $20 he showed me a $10 bill. I know I gave him ?20. I understand this is very common in the USA so be on your guard and always announce loudly the denomination of the bill when you hand it over. We have booked agin for this year, hopefully we may get an upgrade, we wait and see."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of February 2004

Hotels near Skyline Hotel

Stayed at Skyline Hotel? Share your insight.

Skyline Hotel is also called