Shelburne Hotel & Suites by Affinia

• paid internet
  • desk
  • complimentary toiletries
  • iron
  • paid private parking on site
  • coffee tea maker
  • convenience store
  • bicycles available
  • valet parking amenities

Good
Good
1979

Great hotel!

Reviewed 12th October 2012

"We were here the week of 12/25 - 12/30/04. Very crowded in the city due to the holiday. This was an excellent hotel to stay at. We had the one bedroom suite which worked out terrific with the kids - they had their spot, we had ours. The kitchenette/dishware was very convenient as we ate in a bit due to the weather (17 degrees!). The rooms are not large (remember this is New York!!) and not new, however they were very clean and well kept. The location was IDEAL!! Close to Grand Central (about 5 blocks) and it was residential so very quiet, there is a D'Agostino's market right around the corner if you need anything. The staff was VERY accomodating and pleasant, the bellman were great! The restaurant on site is "OK" however very economical for breakfast as they serve a buffet breakfast. Plan an average of about $50/meal for 3 people when you are in the city. Needless to stay...this will be our Hotel anytime we come to the city. You will not be disappointed :)"

• Travel date: 15th January 2005

Very accommodating; every visit is great.

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"I stay at the Shelburne monthly - and have for over one year (business travel). I've never been disappointed by the staff - in most cases they've gone out of their way to accommodate. I always ask for a humidifier - and get it. I've been mildly inconvenienced by one thing or another, but always overly-reimbursed in turn. I've always felt very comfortable in the rooms. I've no problems with anything in the rooms. I've always had a kitchenette with everything I need for extended stays. Wireless internet is dependable and average priced. Location is great too - walking distance to Empire State, Grand Central, Times Square, so on. Great restaurants nearby. Only issues I have: If you are on one of the upper floors and the weather cooperates, the noise from the RARE rooftop bar can be bothersome if you're not in the mood or working. Also, the elevators (which are VERY slow among the 16 floors in the first place) get crowded with RAREgoers. Pretty annoying. On the other hand, the rooftop bar is fun... RARE itself is OK eating, and has more than burgers, but I got tired of it pretty quickly. Great staff though. I'd recommend the Shelburne or any Affinia hotel to NY visitors. C. Mueller"

• Travel date: 13th January 2005

very homey and friendly

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"i stayed at the shelburn in november 2004 for 8 days with my daughter and my mother. we had the one bedroom suite which was really fantastic. The hotel is not fancy, but is clean, convenient and the staff were extra friendly and helpful. It's in a good area close enough to walk to times square (takes about 15 minutes but i did it with a 6 year old and her grandmother almost every day). I did see the regular room and would have to say i wasn't too impressed by it - splurge for the one bedroom - just like staying in someone's apartment."

• Travel date: 10th January 2005

great location

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"I came on business the week before Christmas and stayed the weekend for a romantic rendezvous'with my husband. They must have had a major shake up because all of the staff were brand new. Despite that, they were very helpful and accomodating. They were great in helping us book a side by side massage at their sister hotel spa (The Oasis) in the Affinia Dumont just a few blocks away and it was heavenly! The rooms are good size and we had a terrific view. The view from the 16th floor terrace is spectacular! It turned bitterly cold and snowy on Sunday night so we ordered delivery and the front desk called before they let the delivery guy come up. I really appreciated that. The only drawback was that the bed was hard as a rock!"

• Travel date: 6th January 2005

fantastic hotel

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"We got switched here because the room type we had reserved at the related property, the Beekman Tower, was overbooked. The Shelburne was gorgeous - huge suite, beautiful furnishings, clean, with a view of the Chrysler Building even without our having asked for a view! The staff was lovely and helpful. Most amazingly, the location is so central (the Beekman is on 50th and 1st; Shelburne is right at Lex and 37th). I highly, highly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2005

Stayed at the Shelburne Murray Dec. 9-11 2004

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We arrived at the Shelburne Murray on Dec. 9, 2004. We booked through lastminutetravel. We didn't know what property we would be staying at until we purchased the room. But the rate was O.K. for that time of year. The hotel is nice, the rooms are spacious. They put you in the mind of a one bedroom apartment. Great if you are traveling with family members. We had 2 double beds with a pull out sofa bed in the living room. The decor is average. The rooms are a little worn but nice. I am a big fan of the W hotels with the heavenly beds. This hotel does not have the fluffy beds but the pillows were nice. The hotel is away from the hustle and bustle but close enough to Time Square. About 5 blocks from nearest subway. I would stay again."

• Travel date: 27th December 2004

Busiest Weekend of the Year in NYC? You wouldn't know it at the Shelburne

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"The weekend before Christmas is a crazy time in New York. That is, if you stay in Times Square or any other mid-town big hotel. At the Shelburne Murray Hill, we had a great place to stay and escape the madness, yet we were only minutes from the action. Rooms were huge - especially for NYC standards. We were in a Studio Suite, which had 2 large beds, a full kitchen (with all the utensils, glasses, pots pans), a large closet, and high ceilings. And this was one of the smallest rooms in the hotel! This is unbelievable for New York. The bathroom was small, but that was not an inconvenience. Staff was friendly and helpful. Cabs were easy to get. There was not a nearby subway stop, but the longest you had to walk for one was 4 blocks. Rooms and all facilities were clean and comfortable. Elevators moved quickly. The price was right (we paid $209, pretty good for this busy weekend). The Restaurant (The Rare Bar and Grill) was packed every night. I got the impression that this was a local favorite spot, but I don't know that for sure. They feature Burgers, but have plenty of other items. There are also many other great looking reataurants in the area - Italian, Indian, American. The hotel is in a very nice area. The area was very nice - near some very ritzy looking Brownstones. Convenient to Grand Central, The Empire State Building, Herald Sq, Madison Square Garden, and not a bad walk to Times Square (or a $7 cab ride). We took the train in from CT and walked from Grand Central. Very easy. And if you want one of the best views of the Empire State Building or the Chrysler Building, go up tot he 16th floor. During the summer, this is a restaurant. During the winter, there is access for guests. The views are wonderful. Don't miss it."

• Travel date: 21st December 2004

A Gem in New York

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"The Shelburne is a very reasonably priced gem in a great location in Manhattan. The rooms are large and to a very good standard: not grande luxe, but superior. Staff is cheerful and exceptional. Wonderful, timeless civility. The hotel restaurant, Rare, is fairly priced for New York and reliable. Hard to beat this as a base in this exhilarating city."

• Travel date: 21st December 2004

The Perfect Fit

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"It's not the Ritz Carlton...but we were'nt expecting that! It was neat and clean. The location was perfect and the staff absolutely courteous and helpful. We reserved a non-smoking room and were put in a "smoking optional" room. At our request we were promptly moved to a non-smoking room. The room was huge and the kitchenette was a nice addition. The neighborhood was great. There are plenty of great resturants and bars nearby and best of all, no tourists! In fact the location, away from all the hustle and bustle, yet just 5 blocks from Grand Central Station made our stay particularly special. We were able to get to EVERYTHING in the city quickly...then escape to our quite little hotel! Fantastic. I will recommend the Shelburne to family and friends. No, it's not luxury...but it's a great little hotel in a great location with fantastic staff members."

• Travel date: 15th December 2004

Thanksgiving in New York

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"For the price this New York hotel was great. I got a better rate by making my reservation over the internet than by calling the hotel. The room we got was very large. We were three adults and stayed in a one bedroom suite with balcony and had a great view of the Empire State Bldg. We had a full kitchen for our morning coffee and breakfast, comfortable couch and love seat for our visitors. This hotel is in a very convenient location only 4 short blocks to Grand Central Station. Plentiful restaurants, shopping and groceries. The employees were all friendly and helpful. We will stay here on our next visit in June."

• Travel date: 14th December 2004

Hotels near Shelburne Hotel & Suites by Affinia

Shelburne Hotel & Suites by Affinia is also called

• Affinia Shelburne Hotel
  • shelburne murray hill hotel
  • sol melia new york city