Row NYC Hotel

700 8th Avenue, New York City, NY 10036-3901

2032

If you're going to NYC to sleep& relax t...

Reviewed Tue 23rd of September 2008

"If you're going to NYC to sleep& relax then I doubt this hotel is for you . We went (as a party of 9) and found the hotel ideal. Very reasonably priced and you really cant ask for a better location... less than 5 mins from Times Square. I can go on about what it's close to but a map and other reviews can do this!!!

The staff are fantastic, very helpful and friendly with all holiday aspects ie: checking in, queries, directions etc and the security can not be faulted. Lift system excellent-we never waited longer than a minute.

The hotel is dated and the rooms are a bit shabby however they are very clean and maid service every day. The bed was a king size still leaving plenty of space in the room... even after a shopping trip to the mall!

Wardrobe and draws provide sufficient storage. Iron, ironing board & hairdryer supplied but to any Brits reading this... no kettle fot tea/coffee making although there is a coffee bar which does takeaway in the lobby in addition to a starbucks & McDonalds within a minute walk!

The only downside to our stay was being on floor 7 in a smoking room (neither of us smoke!) however we were put close to the rest of our party and those who requested a change of room received one straight away. We were hardly in the rooms and as our head hit the pillow as soon as we came in each evening, this didnt effect us!"

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of September 2008

This trip was booked for my husband and...

Reviewed Wed 30th of April 2008

"This trip was booked for my husband and me for our 65th birthday. We also had the upgrade to the lounge where we had a continental breakfast which was great. The only complaint we had about this was that there were not enough tables. We also used the lounge when we came back in the afternoon. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and even went to see Phanton of the Opera which was literally five minutes away. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and if we went back would stay at the Milford Plaza."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of April 2008

My daughter treated me to a 3 night stay...

Reviewed Sat 26th of April 2008

"My daughter treated me to a 3 night stay in New York, and picked the Milford Plaza for its central location, after she had previously stayed in a less convenient location.
Good points: It was indeed very central and the location could not be faulted, everything was on the doorstep, including Times Square. The reception was impressive and always very busy and we found the attitude of reception staff varied greatly from person to person. The security was excellent, the guards checked you had a room card before you could get through to the lifts. The lifts also were very efficient, we never had to wait for them. The rooms, though old fashioned were clean.
Bad points: Our room was very small, but this did not bother us too much as we were only in it to sleep. Luckily we stayed over the weekend so had no problem on Saturday or Sunday morning with noise, but we were located at the back of the building, and once again, though not a great view, we only slept in the room. However, on Monday morning we were woken at 7am by construction workers just starting a new building next door, and the noise was loud with pneumatic drills, diggers etc. and as the building was only at the foundation stage I would imagine this would be a problem for some months.

Despite this, I would have given it a higher rating than I have as it was quite reasonable for a central New York hotel, but on the last morning, to my horror, I walked in the bathroom to find it was already occupied by a very fast moving cockroach! Eventually after much jumping around by myself, my daughter and the cockroach, we managed to capture it and present it at reception. To be fair, they did appear as horrified as we were and immediately called for staff to take the room out of circulation until they investigated, and gave us a refund for one night. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had one of these uninvited visitors in their room, or if it was an isolated case as the hotel management claimed.

• Travel date: Sat 26th of April 2008

Myself and my fiance spent 10 nights at...

Reviewed Thu 10th of April 2008

"Myself and my fiance spent 10 nights at this hotel and found it great, we upgraded to a club room on booking and to be fair the benefits are worth it. If you dont have a laptop you can use the club lounge for internet access at any point of the day. Unfortunatley we both came down with a cold for 2 days which was a little spoiler but the staff where fantastic in offering us anything we needed which is a nice touch when you are ill.

This hotel is ideally located for everything you need in New York and is well worth a visit, We will go back to New York in a few years im sure and would consider this hotel again."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of April 2008

I went to NY for academic conference. Th...

Reviewed Mon 27th of August 2007

"I went to NY for academic conference. The Milford Plaza really impressed me by its wonderful facilities and lovely location.

This hotel is located in the centre of Broadway and not far away from Radio City Hall, Rockefeller Centre and Fifth Avenue. Inside this hotel, Garvey’s restaurant provided me typical Irish food. The free WLAN is enabled in my room and the speed is fabulous.

However there is some mess when I checked in because it was being refurnished. Anyway, it is a great hotel indeed.

If I have a trip to NY next time, I will book this hotel again.

• Travel date: Mon 27th of August 2007

I booked two rooms for the Milford Plaza...

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2007

"I booked two rooms for the Milford Plaza via Opodo. Travellers beware! There was just over $350 difference between the price quoted on Opodo at the time of booking - and when we checked out of the hotel.

Opodo claim that this is local hotel tax's etc - and that they give advance warning of this in their small print (but do not tell you the amount!) so you need to be prepared for a big difference in prices when you pay at check out. T

his was a really bad experience and I could therefore not recommend Opodo as the prices (in my experience) have been extremely misleading.

The hotel itself is okay. The rooms are on the small side, somewhat dated in decor and a bit frayed around the edges! The bathrooms are in need of updating.

The shower was replaced for us whilst we were there as it broke - but I wasn't completely sure if it was worth their effort (it wasn't a great shower to start with!). There are no mini bars in the room and I did not find the restaurant (there was a coffee bar though).

The staff are very polite, friendly, and helpful.

The location is fantastic. A few minutes’ walk from Broadway, Times Square and a 15/20 min walk from Fifth Ave - this is the best thing about the hotel.

If you are looking for a really comfortable hotel for a bit of a pamper whilst you are aware - this hotel is not for you.

If you just need somewhere to sleep in between shopping, sightseeing etc - then it may be just what you need!"

• Travel date: Thu 11th of October 2007

A lovely hotel at the mid-range price br...

Reviewed Thu 13th of September 2007

"A lovely hotel at the mid-range price bracket.

We stayed for 3 nights and it is just about as central as you can get. The bus station is all but 10-15mins walk, 5mins to the nearest metro and 10mins and you're in Times Square.

The hotel inside is huge and has that 1930's decor in the lobby but the 1980's in the rooms.

The room we had was Ok but very noisy from the street outside and we were on the 5th floor. There is basic facilities in the room and ironing boards and irons are shared on the floor (take your own if you can). The room itself was clean with the maid service daily.

We didn't eat at the hotel as there is a superb cafe just about 20 yards to the right of the main entrance with the best bacon and eggs I've ever had. Numerous pubs and restaurants within 5mins that are highly recommended but there is a great wee Irish pub joined to the hotel that's just something out of the movies.

Overall, there are better hotels, cheaper hotels but the location is superb."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of September 2007

Booked 3 months in advance - loads of ho...

Reviewed Sun 17th of September 2006

"Booked 3 months in advance - loads of hotels available at the time but wanted to be very near Times Square. Arrived at hotel to find room overlooked backyard, only 3 floors up from ground and large, noisy air-conditioning unit outside of window.

Had just returned from 12 night cruise to Caribbean so was a bit disappointed to say the least - not hotel's fault as we chose it! Unpacked and went out for a walk around. Came back and sat on bed reading for a couple of hours about where to go that evening when my husband exclaimed he'd been bitten.

When we checked him his whole torso was covered in bites. We'd also insisted, as usual, on a non-smoking room (my husband's chest is affected by it), and very unusual in New York to find anywhere indoors where smoking is allowed anyway. Our room smelt of smoke and there was an ashtray in it. The bites were the last straw. We went down to reception, expecting the usual all rooms fully booked routine, and asked for the manager who promptly appeared and when my husband showed him the bites, he quickly rose to attention.

He scoured the room bookings and took us to another room, a mini-suite, didn't charge any extra for it, and although the decor and bathroom were very dated, there were no bugs and it was smoke-free. A tired hotel, but very close to the bright lights. The manager was extremely helpful without much persuasion - typically American in manners (but they all seem to be anyway!).

• Travel date: Sun 17th of September 2006

This was a perfect start to a city and s...

Reviewed Sat 21st of January 2006

"This was a perfect start to a city and sun holiday.

After landing at the airport, we enjoyed cocktails on the verander at the Hudson Hotel. It was very difficult to find but well worth a look. Bring your dollars though, the cocktails are not cheap.

We spent our next few days walking the length of New York City, which I really advise. The bus tours do get you around, but there are things you would miss not going on foot.

I can't advise any time to go the Empire State building, as every time is busy. We did want to go as the sun went down, but we missed that by three hours whilst queuing. Once we were finally up there, we wanted to get straight back down. In the dark, the sight is not fantastic and it was crammed full of people well beyond its means. I would try again early morning, perhaps when it first opened. Although the Chrysler Building looks nothing in the daylight and must be seen at night.

Central Park is fantastic and a horse and carriage ride is a lovely way of seeing the outskirts. It’s a bit pricey though for a 15 minute ride and to be told where various films have been set, but when in New York, its one thing that must be done.

When leaving New York, I thoroughly believed I had seen everything and I would probably want to venture to another city rather than returning, but now, I can't wait to go back. There are so many things we didn't see and the atmosphere is fantastic. I would love to go back in October and go ice skating on Central Park.

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

I was recommended this hotel and would r...

Reviewed Fri 30th of April 2004

"I was recommended this hotel and would recommend it to others. Located in the theatre district and stones throw from Times Square. Walking distance from Central Park and right down to Macys. Accommodation. was basic, but clean and satisfactory. A fridge was provided at no extra charge. Staff were friendly and courteous. I would definitely stay here again. One note though....the curtains aren’t meant to close...that’s what the blinds are for!"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of April 2004

This certainly is the lulla ‘buy’ of...

Reviewed Fri 30th of April 2004

"This certainly is the lulla ‘buy’ of Broadway. The room and the service could not be faulted at all. We had a lovely view of the lit-up buildings at night. On the whole New York accommodation is not as good as other cities in America and is more costly but the Milford Plaza proved to be great value for money and we would not hesitate in staying there again.

As for New York - all we can say is Wow! What an experience to be had. We were there for 10 days and covered the whole of the city. The subway is a must to get around so give it a go - you won’t be disappointed as it is very easy to navigate. Of course, there are the obvious places to visit like the Empire State, Statue of Liberty but places like the American History Museum and USS Intrepid are very interesting. A trip to New York would not be complete without going to a recording of a Montel Williams show!! You can get the tickets from Montels web site."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of April 2004

Yes - this is a great value hotel, but t...

Reviewed Tue 1st of February 2005

"Yes - this is a great value hotel, but to arrive at 2am in the morning after a 10-hour flight from England and to find that your room is not ready is just ridiculous! Then for the so-called manager to beg (on the phone in front of us) the housekeeper to make up a room, was pure comedy.

OK we got a room, but spent most of the night worrying if the 2 guys next door were going to get into our room, as they were constantly trying to open the adjoining door. After being promised a free breakfast the next day (that we had a pay for and claim back) and being moved a yet another room we finally got settled.

Come on Milford Plaza pull your socks up with the service....

I personally would pay a little extra and stay maybe at the Renaissance...next time."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of February 2005

Hotels near Row NYC Hotel

Stayed at Row NYC Hotel? Share your insight.

Row NYC Hotel is also called