Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square

1033 Avenue of the Americas, New York City, NY 10018-5408

Definitely Will Stay Here Again

"We have stayed at several hotels around the Times Square area and this is our favorite so far. We stay at Residence Inns in other areas because of the kitchen, larger rooms, and because they accept pets. This particular RI is no different. One thing, this hotel is new, and our taxi driver had no idea where it was. Be prepared with the address or directions.

We normally spend alot of time in our room, reading and relaxing, so we appreciate having a larger room. The rooms in the RI are large and arranged very well. We had no trouble moving around and we didn't get in each other's way. The bathroom was small, but efficient. The kitchen was equipped with full size fridge, diswasher, sink, microwave, crock pot, and cookware, dishes, and utensils. There was a clock radio/cd player, a flat panel tv, and free high speed internet hookup. The TV had a place for hooking up a dvd player or game console, but we couldn't get it to work. There was a safe in the closet as well as iron and ironing board. The bathroom had a nice hairdryer in one of the drawers. There were many unused electrical outlets throughout the room, which was a pleasant surprise.

One of the best things about the room was the bed. We had a queen, and it was without a doubt the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, no lie. It was firm, but with a soft feel, and the sheets were soft and luxurious. There was a big cozy comforter to complete the deal. We slept with the window open for the crisp cool air so we could feel even more cozy. Heaven!

There were several things we were disappointed with. The first was the location. It is on 6th Ave, about a half block south of Bryant Park. Although this is probably technically the "Times Square area", we were expecting to be much closer to the action there. The other issue was the breakfast. The food was very good, but the closer to closing time, the scarcer the food. If you waited until 1/2 hour or less left before breakfast ended, you didn't have alot of choices. They did not restock as things ran out. There were a couple of mornings there were no eggs, no bagels, only a couple of slices of bread, empty cereal dispensers, no milk, etc. I understand not wanting to waste food, but at least restock those items you can use the next day.

The staff was one of the best I have seen. They were all very friendly, striking up conversations in the elevators, always smiling and saying hello, and quick to remedy any problem. We had no problem with check-in, concierge services, or getting a late checkout.

Other details about the hotel, there is an exercise room on the lower level, with 3 treadmills, 2 eliptical trainers, 2 bicycles, and a complete set of dumbells. They have towels for guest use and a water dispenser. There is also a guest laundry on the same level, with about 10 sets of washers and dryers. The price is steep, $2.00 for each. You can obtain supplies at the front desk. There is a change machine in the laundry room, but it was out when I was there. I also bought detergent and dryer sheets at the deli next door. There are vending machines that supply soft drinks, water, snacks and ice cream bars.

There are 4 elevators for the 34 floors, and the only time we experienced a problem getting one was during breakfast hours. There are 12 guest rooms on each floor, so it is pretty quiet. They are arranged a little funny, with even number rooms to the south of the elevators, and odd numbered rooms to the north. We were always turned around.

We will definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of April 2006

Excellent choice and value

"after having to write a subpar review of a hotel in washington d.c., it's a pleasure to recommend this one. we stay at a lot of Residence Inn properties, and generally find them all to be an excellent value. however this one stands out since it must be quite a challenge to provide good service and value in new york city. it helps that it's a new hotel, just opened this year, but the staff could not be more helpful from doormen to lounge and breakfast area. having a mini suite with kitchenette in manhatttan for around $250 per night is quite a luxury. the huge third floor lounge area is impressive, used for breakfast, and open all day with snacks in the afternoon, all included in the room rate. the location, just a couple of blocks from times square, and an easy walk along 5th avenue, empire state building etc. is another advantage. in other words, in a city where it's easy to feel disappointed, overcharged or both, staying here was a refreshing experience."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of March 2006

Excellent Base for Manhattan

Good

"I booked this hotel through Marriott's web site because it was new and the rate was below other, nearby Marriott properties. GOOD DECISION. This hotel has very nice rooms and common areas. As the other reviews note, the location is excellent, the beds are extremely comfortable and the staff is among the most helpful and cheerful I have yet to encounter in NYC. You could certainly do a lot worse! Very close to Times Square, theatres, and Madison Square Garden."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of March 2006

Awesome Place!

"This hotel is great! The location is perfect whether for business or pleasure, the rooms clean and well-designed, the staff helpful, basically...I don't have enough good things to say about this property. We have stayed in many other NYC hotels and this one was by far the best. Considering the accommodations, breakfast buffet, location, etc. there isn't a better value. It will be our first choice the next time we are in NYC."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of March 2006

Highly Recommended

"This hotel opened in January, and we were there mid-February for 4 nights.

Things I liked about the hotel:
- Location - on 6th Avenue, one block from Broadway. Close to areas of interest, but the location itself is fairly quiet (for New York!). Bryant Park is just 50 yards away. Times Square - < 5 mins. Empire State Building 5 mins. Manhattan Mall, Macy's 5mins. Rockefeller Centre 5 mins. Madison Square Gardens < 10 mins. 5th Avenue (Bloomingdales etc.) 10 mins. Central Park 15 mins.
- Staff were friendly and helpful.
- Complementary breakfast (inc. hot food). Complementary evening meal Mon-Thur (usually one type of dish - e.g. pasta dish day 1, chicken & rice dish day 2, pizza day 3) > take it or leave it - we took it and enjoyed it. You can eat in the library area as well as the dining room - very pleasant & comfortable.
- Spacious rooms with sofa & kitchenette - fridge, slow cooker, coffee maker, dishwasher (which housekeeper will run for you), and hotplate on request. We planned to cook the odd meal until we found out about the complementary dinner.
- No street noise.
- Free wireless internet access in lobby & library/3rd floor.

Things I didn't like:
- I would have preferred wireless internet in the room (there is wired, but I did't have my dock with me). My wife is probably glad though!
- We had a mouse in our room! Probably due to building work continuing on 2nd and 4th floors (we were on 5th). We were moved to 20th floor, and provided with some goodies - generally the situation was handled well by the supervisor. I would hope that this is not likely to be an issue when the work is complete.

It speaks volumes for the hotel that my wife (who is very pernikety[!]) was happy to stay on in the hotel despite the mouse!

If/when we go back, I would definitely stay there again."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of March 2006

Great Hotel

"The rooms were very comfortable, clean and fully equiped with everything we needed to make our stay comfortable. The evening free buffet was a suprise and the breakfast buffet was good. Location was safe and close to many major attractions. All the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The concierge gave us some good suggestions on where to eat."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of March 2006

Great everything

"I had a great time in NYC. I loved the Residence inn. the staff was great, the location is great, and the roomes are nicely sized especially compared to everything else around. I had the 3 window room with king bed. The bath room was kind og small but you are only there to do one of 3 things, and you should have the door closed anyway :) They even let you store your suitcases AFTER you check out!!!! The location is excellent, nice quiet area, but walk 3 blocks and you are in times square. seems to alway be a cab waiting out front, if not someone working there will always fetch one for you. I can't say enough things and give it a better recommendation. I have included pics also."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of March 2006

Absolutely First Class! Book it if you can.

"If you're reading this, then like me you are choosing your Hotel very carefully. I spent AGES looking at reviews, checking availability / prices etc, because I am very particular about where I stay - and am almost phobic about cleanliness!
And now, having just returned from a 5 day stay I am delighted to be able to report that this Hotel is truly fabulous.
Top marks for cleanliness, comfort, location, value, service, breakfast...and I was so RELIEVED when I saw my squeky clean light and airy room!

All rooms are brand new mini suites with a well equipped kitchenette, includuing huge fridge freezer with ice maker, microwave, coffee maker etc and a black marble worktop / breakfast bar.
PLUS a huge ultra thin plasma T.V., with tons of channels & movies to choose from if you're holed up due to over 2ft of snow as I was! It was very cosy too, with an excellent highly responsive heating / air conditioning system.
But above all else, the brand new HUGE BEDS ARE LIKE SLEEPING ON FLUFFY CLOUDS! Sumptuous luxury with ultra light quilts & 8 pillows, deep comforters on the matress - and fabulous, ultra white eqyptian cotton bedding. I was in heaven!! I have never slept on such a comfortable bed as this.
I actually looked forward to getting back to my room every day to enjoy it all. I had beers & wine in the fridge, friends 'round to stay on the double sofa bed [spare linen already in room] and chose from a wide selection of take-out menus for the one or two nights in because it was such a pleasure.
I also had an excellent view of the Empire State Building, all lit up Red, White & Blue - and every morning enjoyed a full cooked breakfast in the excellent buffet breakfast room, adjacent to the trendy library and lounging areas. I didn't use the smart gym, but it looked great.
My stay was faultless - even the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I cannot recommend this Hotel highly enough.
Finally to add credit to my review, I rarely gush, but I have stayed in many Hotels of all standards around the World over the years - and this one rates as one of the best value considering it's high standards. Trust me and book this place if it is available, you will not be disappointed."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of February 2006

Great Place Great Location

Good

"This has to be the nicest Residence Inn I have ever stayed at. It is new - which helps. Great location being just a few blocks from Times Square, the Garden, 5th Ave. Only one block to the subway station. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Hands down the most comforatble hotel bed I have ever slept on. In fact, we chose to go back to the room instead of wandering NYC one evening as the bed was so inviting.

We did not have any complaints with the fridge being noisy as others have noted. Room is like a very compact studio - a kitchenette with fridge, coffee maker, dishwasher and sink. Bath is small, but I have seen worse. In room safe worked wonderfully.

My husband declared the complimentary coffe in the breakfast room the best he ever had. It was always available.

We were worried about the elevators as others have noted issues, but aside from one morning, we never had to wait long if at all.

The conceirge was very helpful in directing us to good retaurants that were not touristy or spendy (for NY anyways!).

One minor issue is free internet is not wireless in the rooms - so don't forget the cords."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of February 2006

Loved the self catering facilities

"We chose the Residence Inn in Manhattan because as a family we wanted to be able to save money by eating some meals in during our 10 day stay.

With it's kitchen, including full sized refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher we were certainly able to do this. With a number of delis in the same block and a few trips to the Wholefoods Market in Union Square we were able to reheat and cook food easily, plus keep a steady supply of fruit and drinks available.

The daily breakfast was a real bonus as was the supply of coffee, hot chocolate, newspapers and books to read in the third floor lounge area. My husband and I really enjoyed having this area to escape to for a bit of peace of a night while the kids were watching television.

Rooms were a reasonable size for New York although when the sofa bed was folded out there is not a lot of room to move around. We requested a couple of extra chairs so that more than two people could sit comfortably at the table to eat, which was not a problem.

As many people have already mentioned the staff and service in this hotel was exceptional. Every person we met was cheerful and genuine in their desire to assist us.

We were also there when the fire alarm went off, but rather than seeing it as a problem we figured that it was just one of the teething problems of a new hotel. The benefits of a new hotel - crisp new bedding and towels, fresh smell, helpful staff, and plentiful food - far outweighed the one negative.

We would definitely stay there again. Location and facilities were brilliant particulary if you are staying for more than a couple of days."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of February 2006

Hotels near Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square

Stayed at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square? Share your insight.

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square is also called