Exterior

About New York Marriott Downtown

• paid wifi
  • baggage storage
  • express check in check out
  • currency exchange
  • atm on site
  • allergy free room

Fantastic hotel!!!

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"My family stayed there December 22nd and 23rd. It was fantastic! Everyone is very nice and helpful, the hotel is clean, beds are extremely soft and the view is amazing. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is near the subway, good restaurants and the World Trade Center. We will be back again."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2006

The Marriott Financial Center - all round great place to stay !

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"My mother and I stayed here at the end of October (based on other Trip Advisor reviews) and it was marvellous. Great location - very near to a subway station and the number 6 bus that goes all the way to Central Park (better than the sub-way for really getting a feel for the city). The hotel is a short stroll to Battery Park and the Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty ferries. Very safe, quiet neighbourhood. I had mentioned that it was my mother's first time in New York and also her birthday and we were given a beautiful comfortable corner room with breathtaking views of the Hudson (perfect for 2 people but wardrobe space would be limited for more than that). The very friendly and helpful staff had also arranged a beautiful bouquet of flowers for my mother ! Breakfast was included in our rate and was great - their specialities (such as french toast with apple, maple syrup and cream) are divine and will keep you going all day ! I would highly recommend this hotel - ask for a rooom with a view. I had been to New York a number of times and always stayed in mid or uptown but in future it will be downtown !"

• Travel date: 7th December 2005

This Hotel is EXCELLENT!!!

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Stayed at this hotel in early November 2005 and loved it! We arrived early in the morning and they allowed us to check in early. I was very impressed with the room. Got a 19th floor room with a view of the Hudson River. The room is very clean and well kept. Pretty new furnishings and immaculate bathroom! Bed is very comfortable and beddings were clean and soft. We got a single King bed which is huge. I loved our stay here and would stay again! The hotel staff are friendly and willing to help you. It is very close to Subway stops and just one block from the World Trade Center. Battery Park and Statue of Liberty is a couple of blocks away. If you want a upscale and quiet area, this is the hotel. It's not cheap, but you will get a super clean room with upscale flair. I have seen good rates for this property if you check around the different websites."

• Travel date: 29th November 2005

Good Value & Location, Baths are Dark

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"My husband and I stayed for a night at the Marriott Financial Center in mid-Sept 2005. We had tickets to see Spamalot, so took Amtrak down from Boston. I chose this hotel because we were able to get a government rate for $209 a night, which for NYC is excellent. Most of the other available hotel rooms for the night we were staying were at least twice as much. The hotel never asked to see any type of id to prove that we were eligible for a government rate. We had requested an early check-in and the hotel did try to accommodate us, however, they said they had so many other early check-ins that day that we were not able to get into our room until almost 3 pm. Our room was fine. It was clean and fairly large, with 2 double beds, an armoire with tv and honor bar (one of the ones where if you even remove an item, you are charged. Put it back, and you're charged again), and a desk and chair. The bathroom was okay, but the lighting was terrible and there was no light over the tub, which made it quite dark when taking a shower. I could hear quests talking in their rooms when I walked down the hall, but I did not hear other guests when we were in our room. The ice machine for our floor was located right outside our room door (which I found to be an odd location), and I was afraid that we would hear it all night, but either no one wanted ice, or it was not as loud as I had feared. The hotel is about 2 blocks from Battery Park and the site of the World Trade Center, both easy walks. It is also near a subway stop, and it's a short ride to Times Square. There is nothing really special about this hotel, but it's clean, the rooms are big enough, and the location is good. If I could get a reasonable price, I would definately stay here again."

• Travel date: 10th October 2005

3-star hotel; 5-star prices

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"I stayed for six nights recently on business. Although very close to Wall Street, the hotel faces west to the Hudson River and you don’t feel you’re staying in Downtown Manhattan. Adjacent to the WTC site and to the World Financial Center offices, restaurants, shops and riverside walks. The hotel itself is nothing special at all. I guess around 30 years old (note the ugly metal box air-con / heater units in the rooms), and possibly a converted office block (internal bedroom walls are not brick or concrete – so plenty of scope to hear your neighbours’ televisions or other noise). I arrived around 11am on a Sunday after 22 hours of flying, and no room was available. My company had requested an early check-in, but I realised this could not be guaranteed. The receptionist was typically New York cold, matter-or-fact. When I asked when a room might be available, she shrugged “any time between 11 and 4”. I asked if there was somewhere I could wait and get a coffee and was told abruptly “there’s a seat over there [in the lobby] and breakfast is being served in Roy’s [the restaurant]”. Not wanting to spend up to five hours sat in the lobby, and not wanting to eat another breakfast, I went out to watch the 9/11 commemoration ceremony at the WTC site. That was after having persuaded a senior receptionist to try and get a room for me by noon which, thankfully, did happen. The room was quite long but narrow (see attached photos), so the beds had to be short to fit in. Windows on two sides, which would have offered nice views had they not been so dirty on the outside. Drab and dated colour scheme, 1970s furnishings, and a tiny desk that was cluttered with a phone, modem box, in-house advertising, and so narrow – 20 inches – that it would be impossible to work at in the small amount of space left. TV with enough channels and clear reception. The bed itself was comfortable but the covers, although clean, looked like they had been in use for 20 years. Likewise the towels – old, hard, and in some cases frayed. Bathroom was clean enough but with only a shallow bath tub and no lighting in the bath/shower area. For the room as a whole, no central lighting control at bed-side, or anywhere else for that matter, so entering and leaving the room always involved a tour round various lamp stands and wall switches. The fridge is of the auto-charging variety – you only have to take an item out to inspect it, and it’s charged to your bill. The contents is arranged such that it completely fills the fridge, neatly discouraging the guest from buying items at one-third the cost from outside and daring to house them in the fridge. As I was on business and did need to work from the room, I asked if I could move to a less narrow room that may have had space for a less narrow desk. The move happened the following evening and I was “upgraded” to a room that they sell for USD 500 a night, according to the receptionist. This was a bit larger than the original room, but exactly the same features inside, including the same narrow desk. It had a view of the Statue of Liberty - other reviewers have commented on this as a plus-point, but it’s so far in the distance through the haze, that I didn’t even bother to take a photo. On the positive side, the buffet breakfast in Roy’s is good, as is usually the case in NY hotels, and the staff were pleasant enough. I also enjoyed a light meal (“light” by American standards, a full meal for anyone else) and drink in the West 85 bar. I was staying on a discounted corporate rate but, even so, I found this hotel to be offering barely 3-star amenities by international, if not US, standards but at 5-star prices; the cramped and dated rooms and fixtures (other than the lobby) being offset slightly by satisfactory service levels from the staff, if you leave out the first receptionist I encountered. But I suppose all New York hotels charge sky-high prices so, relative to others in that city, perhaps it was not that bad. Would I willingly return again? For the location, perhaps; for the hotel itself, no."

• Travel date: 24th September 2005

Out of the hustle-bustle!

Reviewed 13th October 2012

"This is a great hotel. The beds were the most comfortable I have ever slept on! The staff was courteous, helpful, and friendly. And lower manhattan is a beautiful place to stay. Not hectic at all on the weekends--very laid back. No crowds at all, restaurants were practically empty during labor day weekend. People rollerblading and jogging near battery park. This area reminds me of the north part of downtown chicago--very elegant. I am sure it is much busier during business hours, since you are near Wall Street. You are within easy walking distance (by way of Rector Street) to 3 different subway lines to take you anywhere you need to go. I can't imagine staying in the jungle of midtown manhattan after staying here. The prices are cheaper and the rooms are spacious. Highly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: 16th September 2005

Excellent stay at the Marriott Financial Center

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"We stayed at the Marriott in August 05 for 1 week.We had a double room and it was spacious enough for the family of 2 adults and 3 children.It was on the 20th floor with a view of the hudson river.The children enjoyed the swimming pool . The hotel staff were friendly and helpful.The service was excellent.Roys resturant and cocktail bar within hotel. Hotel near ground zero and subways. Felt safe around area during night because of police presence. I would recommend this hotel if you prefer to be away from the busy locations of midtown.Regular subway trains are a short ride to the midtown area."

• Travel date: 4th September 2005

Very Pleased

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"Stayed here in May, 2005, for the TIA convention at Javits. Hotel was excellent. Staff, especially room service was exceptional. Roy's restaurant was great! Room was clean, spacious and well furnished with a great view of the harbor. Was little far from the Convention Center but our show had shuttle service so it was fine. Great location for visit to WTC, Century 21, Battery Park, Brooklyn Bridge, etc.. I LOVE NEW YORK!"

• Travel date: 11th August 2005

Good option in NYC

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"Stayed at the Marriott Finanical Center a couple of weeks ago. Picked this location somewhat last minute because I was able to get a good weekend rate and the location is good. If you are particularly interested in lower Manhattan you can't beat this place. Also the service was excellent. I had several special requests and the hotel staff met each in prompt order. My only issue is the construction that is going on around the hotel and on the roadways. But given that the hotel is located next to Ground Zero is certainly understandable."

• Travel date: 6th August 2005

Very Nice

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Stayed here for 3 days. Had a corner room with two queen beds. The hotel was very clean. The staff was excellent. Paid $169.00 per night over the weekend. The only drawback was that the pool was closed for renovation. However, they paid for our cab ride to Brooklyn Marriott so the children could swim."

• Travel date: 16th July 2005

Hotels near New York Marriott Downtown

New York Marriott Downtown is also called

• Marriott Hotel Financial Center
  • marriott new york city
  • new york city marriott