Wonderful Stay!

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"My husband and I went to New York to do the New York thing, see the sights, eat, and see a play. We wanted to stay at a hotel that was reasonably priced, centrally located to places of interest and not too average. We found that and more at the Moderne.
We were surprisingly pleased with the location, the room size, and the staff, which were excellent.
The location was ideal for our particular needs, the room was small, yet adequate, clean and cute. The staff always greeted us with a smile, suggestions on places to dine, methods of transportation, and "Are u in need of anything else". They would take the time to hail us a cab when it was raining cats & dogs, which for me was much appreciated. Steven and Dana were always smiling, available, and full of answers.
I would recommend this hotel to people who want a reasonably priced New York hotel room, that is in walking distance to shopping on 5th ave., dining, and Broadway."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of May 2005

Checked Out 10 Minutes After Checking In

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"This hotel looked fresh and well-located on its website, but upon enetering through the curtained door, we were taken aback by a makeshift front desk. After checking in, we took the tiny, creaky elevator to our floor. The doors opened to reveal a shoddy, old hallway and ceiling tiles soaked through with brown liquid. Our room, so new looking on the website, was old, rickety and musty. The one small window let in no light (not a rarity in NYC however) and the entire room needed a good cleaning (more like a good renovation). Further, the hotel was poorly located and on a very dark, sketchy street. Luckily, the Doubletree in Times Square had a room for that night and we promptly checked out. The clerk was neither surprised nor put out by our sudden departure--I'm guessing we weren't the first to leave so quickly--but he did seem a bit embarassed. He was frendly though, and the price is right if you can put up with a bad location and decay."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of May 2005

Absolutely wonderful experience!!!!!!!!!! Great Place!!

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"I have no idea why people are giving this hotel a bad review.......
It is in a perfect location....short walk to everything...comfy beds and immaculate rooms cleaned top to bottom everyday!!!!!!! Employees courteous and friendly and very helpful to me!! A++ service. Dont expect a chocolate on your pillow..(you aren't paying for that!!) I will make the Moderne my home away from home the next time I am in Manhattan!!!
So glad I stayed there!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of May 2005

Great Hotel - Great Location - Great Price

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"I read the reviews on Trip Advisor after making and paying for three nights at the Moderne. Was leery of what we would end up with. But no worries - it is a very small, older hotel - only four rooms per floor - but very clean, quiet and we had no complaints. The bed was very large and comfortable and the room was fine for two adults. The staff were very friendly and accomodating. Great coffee in the morning. And in the middle of everything! Easy walking to everything we wanted to see - which was everything - and around the corner from the subway. Even though there isn't a restaurant on the premises there are numerous places to eat less than a block away. And you can't beat the price for the location. I would definitely consider staying here during my next trip to NYC."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of April 2005

Impressed even an EX-Hotel General Manager

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"Front Desk clerks were very helpful. Even though they had given our room away and had to walk us to another hotel for the first night(we didn't get in
to NYC until 11pm), I would recommend this hotel. It was centerally located and within walking distance to most locations we wanted to go.
It is very hard to impress another hotel person, especially a General Manager, but they succeeded. After some of the reviews I read, I was very concerned (especially after them giving our room away), so I was
leery of staying here. But I am already planning my next trip to NYC and this hotel is already in my plans. Rooms are small, but are tastefully decorated. We were on 2nd floor and only 4 rooms on floor, so very quiet."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of April 2005

moderne is a smart choice

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"I just came back from NYC and stayed at the Moderne and found it to be exceptional for the price. The rooms are small but very clean. The bed was awesome and the staff was very attentive. The best part of the hotel is the value. For a $100 you are close to everything in a quiet (amazing for NY) clean and very cute room. If you are looking for 5 star, skip it but if you are looking for a great deal, this is the place."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of February 2005

Stay well away! This many bad reviews are NOT wrong!!

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Awful place! Just come back from a week's stay here and I can safely say I would NEVER stay here again. We had the same shower problems that other people have stated, in the middle of showering it would turn it's self off!! The heating would only be on high regardless of adjustments made and eventually we just unplugged it. We couldn't open the window as it was sealed shut and faced out onto a brick wall. The decor was shabby and not at all cool and funky as it looked on the website. The toilet in our bathroom would constantly run and asked for it to be fixed and was told it would be.......it never was! I have made a complaint to the Amsterdam Hospitality group and eagerly await their response"

• Travel date: Sat 29th of January 2005

Great little hotel

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"My husband and I recently stayed at the Moderne Hotel in Manhattan. It's a small place; you might walk right by it if you weren't looking for it. The rooms are small, but nicely appointed. There's a cute breakfast room where a continental breakfast is served (real NY bagels.) The location is fantastic; 55th right off Broadway. Across the street is discounted parking ($20/24hrs - a deal in NY.) The desk staff were helpful and extremely accommodating- they let us check in at 11:30 in the morning on a day that wasn't too busy. Another plus-we've stayed at larger, pricier hotels that were far more noisy at night.
If you're using your hotel just as a base for sightseeing and shows, this is a great deal. I read some of the negative reviews before I booked, and I'm glad I ignored them."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of January 2005

Breakfast! What Breakfast??

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights over new year 2004/05. I had mixed feelings of what to expect from reading other reviews. The location of the hotel was great, close to Time Square and Central Park. The hotel was very clean and the rooms were spotless everytime we returned after a day out. The shower and bath were lovely especially after a long days sight seeing and shopping. The beds were nice but the room temperature seemed a little cold at times.
I was very dissapointed at the "promised breakfast". We only got breakfast on 1 of the 4 mornings we were there. There was plenty of coffee and orange but no bagel's like there was on the first morning. The staff werent too friendly either, not many smiles or hello's as we walked by.
Overall the hotel is a sweet little place to stay a few days but im sure you can find much much better for the price."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of January 2005

Location Location Location !!

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"We have just returned from staying at the Moderne for a week and we must say we were pleasantly surprised. Having read the other reviews on this web site we nearly cancelled our booking but are glad that we didn't.

The first thing to say about this hotel is that the location is perfect. Two minutes from Broadway, five minutes from Central Park and ten minutes from Times Square.

The staff could not have been more welcoming and helpful. The accomodation was basic but clean and more than adequate. After all, we didn't go to New York to sit in our hotel room. The description of the "view" from the room is accurate - it was indeed a brick wall and a fire escape but to be honest, we just shut the blinds and didn't think about it. The room that we had was on the first floor but the window locked and there was a safe in the room for our valuables.

What I think you have to remember here is that you're not paying for the Ritz or the Plaza and therefore are not getting it. What you are getting is value for money in good basic and cheap accomodation in the centre of New York. I heartily recommend this hotel to any visitors who are not hung up on fancy surroundings but are just looking for a place to rest there heads."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of December 2004