Millennium Hilton New York One UN Plaza

About Millennium Hilton New York One UN Plaza

• paid wifi
  • baggage storage
  • breakfast in the room
  • express check in check out
  • currency exchange
  • coffee shop amenities
  • fax photocopying
  • ironing service
  • newspaper
  • paid internet
  • coffee tea maker
  • paid private parking nearby

Good

We took the Airport Express Coach from N...

Reviewed 28th February 2007

"We took the Airport Express Coach from Newark ($23 pp return) to Grand Central Station which was the 3rd stop in Manhattan. From there it was only a 10 minute walk to the hotel which is situated on E44th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues. The reception area is very plush and clean with very helpful and polite concierge and reception staff. There are 2 towers - east and west. We were in the west tower on the 31st floor. The room was clean, with neutral decoration and a good size with a very large bed, mini bar (very expensive!), TV, air conditioning/heating, a small table and chairs and a great view of the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings from the window, which had floor to ceiling glass. The bathroom was clean but could have done with a bit of modernisation. Plenty of clean towels were provided. The hotel has an amazing swimming pool on the 27th floor of the east tower which has floor to ceiling windows with views over the East River, UN Buildings and Manhattan. There are also saunas in both the ladies and gents changing rooms, a massage area and a well equipped gym. There are tennis courts on the 30th floor which you book and pay extra for. The towels provided in the pool area are so small though - like handtowels! There is a restaurant and room service in the hotel, but we did not try either as we were out exploring day and night! A great place for breakfast is John's Cafe which is a couple of minutes walk from the hotel on the corner of 2nd/E44th Street. We paid approx $20 for 2 hot breakfasts with toast, jam and unlimited coffee including a tip, and this set us up for the day's walking. The nearest subway at Grand Central takes you right down to Brooklyn Bridge and Ground Zero area. We walked across the Bridge over the pedestrian walkway which gives great views over Manhattan. You can either buy a $2 one journey ticket or a day fun pass for $7 which is for both subway and buses. We got a bus on 2nd Avenue right to South Ferry to get on the Staten Island ferry, which is free, to see the Statue of Liberty. We walked from the hotel over to Times Square which takes approx 10 minutes. Also within walking distance is Central Park, 5th Avenue shopping area, the "Top of the Rock" (Rockefeller Centre) and the Empire State Building. We also visited "The View" which is a revolving bar on the 48th floor of the Marriott Marquis on Times Square. If you time it right you can get there before the sun sets and see Manhattan by daylight then by night while sipping a lovely strong cocktail! I would stay definitely in this hotel again as it was comfortable, clean and a great location."

• Travel date: 28th February 2007

Tough to find places this nice in New York, at at this price?

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"The Millennium Un Plaza Hotel is certainly one of the best finds in Manhattan. Located in an excelent location, about a ten minute walk from the Shuttle Subway line making Times Square easily accessible, as well as green line uptown and downtown subway access easy from Grand Central, it is also right on the East River, and located in a good safe location right near the United Nations. Everyone talks about the views, and you had better believe what they say. A finer view in the Big Apple, you will not find. Ask for the south side if you want to see the Chrysler Building and Empire State building to your right, and the River to your left, but any side will be nice. Hotel starts at the 26th floor, so you'll always be plenty high up. Rooms are very large by New York's typical broom closet standards, and decor is fresh and nice, albeit slightly quirky. Don't bother looking for ice or soda machines, you'll need room service for that, but no hotel is perfect right? One definite bonus is a fitness room and pool that spoil you because of it's stunning view. Treadmills and bikes are pointed toward windows and you feel as if you're about to run off a 300 foot precipice while working out, awesome! My local gym seems dull now! Staff is nice (by New York standards, none of them are exactly your grandmother) , and the hotel is upscale and a bargain considering room size and high end feel. New York is a crapshoot when it comes to hotels, so do yourself a favor and book this one. You could double the price easily but could never hope to double the quality or satisfaction. A very nice stay."

• Travel date: 24th August 2004

Don't Use Priceline

Reviewed 22nd October 2012

"I just had a very bad experience with Priceline. I asked for a four star room for $250 for six nights. I was assigned to this hotel. Then I found out that that room was available for $199 from the hotel website. After a long telephone wait, Priceline decided to refund me the difference. I called the hotel directly and found out that the first three nights were $33 cheaper.Priceline refused a second refund. The lesson...deal with hotels directly. I will be happy to answer any emails."

• Travel date: 16th August 2004

Good stay in NY

Reviewed 13th October 2012

"I stayed with my husband and 9 year old at the Millennium from August 13-16th. We arrrived early and were given a west tower room. It was tired but did have a mini bar and a mini kitchen. We went back down and requested to be changed to a east tower room. We were told to check our bags and come back at 5:00pm. The new room was on the 38th floor with views of both the city and the river. We could see the Empire State building, the Chrysler building and the Brooklyn bridge. The room was nicer than the first and had a sofa and ottoman. We visited the pool on the 27th floor. It is cramped and with 4 people doing laps and the families stuck in one lane, a little dissapointing. We paid $149 with 2 free drinks at the lounge....beware a soda cost $5.00 for not even 12 oz. We didn't use the conciege for anything...good thing since the station was always unattended. The staff was professional but we didn't use them for more than check in and check out. They did allow us to check out at 2:00pm instead of 12:00pm. The location was great with lots of local markets and resturants...We walked up one block to 2nd street and had breakfast at John's...it was reasonable and friendly. It also was quiet, glad I didn's stay closer to Times Square."

• Travel date: 16th August 2004

Great deal, great hotel

Reviewed 16th October 2012

"We stayed at the Millenium overnight with our two children, 6 and 8. The service was excellent, and the staff was very accomodating. Our room was perfect (I think they actually upgraded us at no charge.) We didn't have a view, but our room was a very nice size. We had three t.v.'s....one in the bedroom, one in the living area (which also had a bar with stools) and one in the bathroom. We usually stay at the Four Seasons when we come to NYC. With the kids, the Millenium is a definite 'yes' in our book."

• Travel date: 11th August 2004

GREAT VIEW/VERY EXPENSIVE

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"This hotel was funny. My husband called on one day and was quoted one price, and when he called to make reservations he was quoted a different price which was 100.00 more. When I checked online as to what the room should cost at discounted rates the average was 195.00. WE PAID $365.00 for one night. The service was not outstanding. The bellman was nice but the counter staff was rather miserable. The pool is small considering the amount of rooms and it just happened to be bumper to bumper children. At 365.00, I do not expect to find hair on the walls in the shower. Also my room must have been below a smoker room. And to those of you who once smoked and quit or just those of you who don't like the smell of smoke, you would have hated the smell. The smoke must have been coming through the bathroom vent. It smelled so bad that I was actually accused of sneaking a cigarette in the bathroom. We stayed in this room despite the nastiness because it supposively had the best view of the water and Macy's fireworks and after spending that kind of money (It was my 6th wedding anniversary) I was going to get that view. It did seem that many rooms did have water view and the reservation guy could have lied but I was to afraid to chance it. HOWEVER, DESPITE the NASTINESS THE VIEW IS SPECTACULAR. To your right you can see the empire state building as though it was right there as well as the chrysler building and to your left you can see the water and the UN. I found the bed to very comfortable an the AC worked very well. For the person really touring the city, the hotel is out of the way. On average to get from this hotel to the Village it ran about $8.00/ $10 after tip. I enjoy activities in Midtown and the Village so this hotel was out of the way for those activities. There are no trains close by. needed to take a cab to the nearest subway station. I am not sure if I would ever stay at the hotel again. It is cheaper to stay at a midtwn location such as the awesome TIME Hotel and purchase all you can eat and drink cruise tickets that are in the water and front row to the Macy's celebration..."

• Travel date: 2nd August 2004

Good value in mid-town (east)

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"Clean, modern 4 star (maybe 3.5 more realistically) on the East side of mid-town. I had a recently renovated room, which was of only acceptable size but quite nice in terms of furnishings etc. It is between 1st/2nd avenue, which is pretty far east. The compensation is the views, which others have commented on here as well. I got it for $160 on Priceline, which I considered a good value overall."

• Travel date: 2nd August 2004

A wonderful value in NYC

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"We stayed at the Millennium UN Plaza Hotel July 16 - 19 and loved it. We got the hotel for $140 through Priceline, and it was such a value for our money. The views in the rooms are amazing. One entire wall is a window, and at night it is so beautiful to look out over the city. When we arrived, we requested a renovated room, and we got it. We were really pleased. It was very clean and modern. The people who worked at the hotel were friendly and helpful. There is not a subway entrance right outside, but seriously, Grand Central is only 6 or so blocks away, and it's a nice walk. You can pass John's on the way and stop in for a yummy, inexpensive bite of breakfast. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay."

• Travel date: 25th July 2004

What a view!

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"I stayed at the MILLENIUM UN many times and i have to say that its best feature is the breathtaking views you can get by staying in any of its rooms! No matter what side your room is located, you are going to spend a lot of time at the window, though the rooms in the corners are probably the best. A part from the weird mirrored and a little dark lobby, the rooms are very nice and contemporary furnished with also a nice bathroom with a glass-top vanity. I always found the rooms to be pretty clean (according to new york standards!) and my only complain if i have to say something not really positive is that sometimes the elevetors are incredibly slow and you can wait for it several minutes! The area is safe because the UN bulding is right in front of the hotel and the rooms aren't very noisy because the location is a little away from the caotic areas. The location though is a few blocks from midtown-action so you need to walk a little to get to an interesting shopping area like the 5th Avenue or to get to the nearest subway station which is 42nd st./Grand Terminal Station ...it is anyway a place a would recommend!"

• Travel date: 10th July 2004

Very decent midtown hotel

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"I recently stayed at the UN Plaza for a rather extended stay of 5 nights. Overall, I was pleased. My room was one of the modern rooms and I absolutely loved the simple, comfortable decor. Lovely bar area and I was just floored by the walk in closet. This was a standard room, mind you (no suite)! The lobby and restaurant were lovely but their interior designer seemed to be infatuated with mirrors and it can be kind of like a fun house, especially in the dimly lit Ambassador Grill. As has been said previously, VERY quiet part of Manhattan but a short walk to Grand Central, Times Square, and beyond. My only dissapointment was with my view. If you are in the East tower, absolutely do anything possible to avoid an 01 room. I thought my view of the adjacent tower was pretty acceptable until I visited a friend's corner room on the same floor and was absolutely shocked by the breathtaking views. Again, STAY AWAY from an 01 if the view is important to you. Overall, it was a deal at the $200 I paid and I'm reading here that people Pricelined it for half that price. It's WELL worth it!"

• Travel date: 3rd July 2004

wonderful once we were in the new part

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"I stayed here with my mum and brother for ten days on the 26th nov last year. Our first reaction when we saw the hotel and lobby was one of awe until we were shown to our room. I was so dissappointed the room was old, shabby drab and the bathroom left a lot to be desired so i went down to complain i was so happy i did. We were given a room on other side of hotel and it was nothing short of amazing. It was new, modern, very comfortable and the bathroom was spotless and the views were spectacular. We had an excellent view of empire state building and the city at night i was thriiled. I found the staff very cooperative and friendly and the amenities wonderful, we also felt really safe in the area of the hotel, I would definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: 16th June 2004

Hotels near Millennium Hilton New York One UN Plaza

Millennium Hilton New York One UN Plaza is also called

• Millennium UN Plaza Hotel
  • The Premier Millennium Hotel
  • hotel millennium un plaza