Millennium Hilton New York Downtown

55 Church Street, New York City, NY 10007-2939

1992
Good

Great view, location, sights and more...

"I've been to New York before but stayed in the Times Square area. A lot of hustle and bustle but it was fun. This time I wanted to try a different area of New York, this is why I chose the Millenium Hilton. It's right across the street from Ground Zero, next door to Century 21 (great discount shopping), and about a ten minute walk to Battery Park which is where you grab the ferry to Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty, but there is much more to see at the Park than one would think. Just make sure you check to see if anything is going on at the Park the days you are going. There were some really good bands playing the day we went, but you needed to get tickets ahead of time. St. Paul's Chapel is right next door, built in 1700's and host to George Washington's Inaugeration, very historic and almost no damage from 9/11. If we would have known about that earlier we would have gone (we had only one day there). The rooms were very modern, the view overlooked all of Ground Zero. Bathrooms were large. Not many restaurants in the area so we ate at the hotel restaurant, Church and Dey. Very good. If you do want to go see Times Square or Central Park, the subway is right in front of the hotel. Very easy access. All in all, safe location, great hotel and lots of sights. Will stay there again when I go back to Lower Manhattan."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of May 2004

Fantastic but not without flaws

Good

"I just returned from a wonderful stay at the Millenium Hilton and selected this hotel based on reviews I read on TripAdvisor.com. My experience mirrored others I read here. Because of these problems, I cannot give this hotel a five star rating. If these problems didn't occur, it would get top ratings. Okay... now for the problems: I booked a king smoking room city view from the Hilton Website and received immediate confirmation of my reservation. (“City view” means between the 30th and 55th floor of the 55-story building.) When I arrived, they told me they have a double smoking room reserved for us. After telling them that’s not acceptable, they switched it to a king non-smoking room and explained when reserving a room the exact room type that you reserve is not guaranteed; it's based on availability during check in. This is something to keep in mind for those who are booking a room. Even if you pay ahead, you could get bumped into a lesser room. So, I accepted the king non-smoking room. After they made the switch they told us the room wasn't ready. Check-in is at 3pm; we arrived at 3:30pm. An hour later at 4:30pm, finally we were told we could have the room, but there's one problem--they don't have keys for us. The device that encodes the key cards wasn’t working. The bellhop brought our bags up and let us in our room on the 37th floor. We left for an evening out on the town and returned at about 11:30pm. The front desk gave us our key cards and when we got to the room they didn't work. Went down to the front desk. They gave us another set of key cards. Went back to the room to find they still didn't work. Called the front desk from the 37th floor phone and they transferred me to security who said they would send someone right over. My girlfriend went to the bathroom on the third floor and I stood by the door for over 10 minutes and no one arrived. Finally my girlfriend returned with a security person who IDed me and then called the front desk. Seems my girlfriend bumped into him in the stairwell and he wasn't dispatched based on my call. The front desk confirmed my reservation so he called security to find after 15 minutes no one was sent to help me. He apologized and proceeded to let us in the room. One problem... his key card didn't work either. Finally he got a master key card and was able to let us in the room. We never did get key cards that worked and, as a result, were never able to both leave the room for the remainder of our visit without having to rely on the unreliable security department to eventually arrive, ID us, make phone calls and maybe get into the room. So, the negative is the hotel has some problems with the operational aspects of handling reservations. I will say that every person I dealt with regarding these problems was very polite and apologetic, even when I pushed a bit, expressing annoyance, which, in part, was an act to get the person to “hop to it” and correct the problem. Okay… enough of the negatives and onto the positives. I’ve stayed in New York a number of times and always seek out different hotels, looking for the best stay for the best price. I have to say, the Millenium Hilton is by far the best hotel deal I can find. The accommodations and amenities are absolutely top shelf! When the World Trade Center collapsed, it totaled the Millenium Hilton. No one in the hotel at the time was killed, but the hotel was shutdown for 18 months, completely gutted and rebuilt. It re-opened in May of 2003 as the only AAA four-star hotel in the business district. Each room has a Zenith high definition 42” plasma flat-screen television that is amazing! The marble bathrooms are spacious. The mattress is very fluffy and comfortable. The view out the window is breathtaking, even though the king rooms stare out over Ground Zero, which is directly across the street; something to consider before booking a room. Those bothered by this view, be forewarned. It’s one of the best views in the city for this one block graveyard, and at the time of this writing, adjacent buildings are gutted and being rebuilt due to extensive damage. Amongst the gorgeous view is a vacant six-story, one block hole with stuff in it, like ramps, trailers, vehicles, a few buildings, and other ancillary curiosities. Other than that, the city view king room overlooks the Hudson River and the majestic west-side skyline, which is beautiful. After getting in our room on Saturday night, I just sat by the window and stared for probably 45 minutes at the view during a lightning storm. Beautiful! The hotel has two bars: one in the lobby and one on the third floor. I never saw the third floor bar but the one in the lobby was nice. Other reviews cover different hotel features so I won’t get into them here, but I do want to mention what others have stated about the neighborhood. It’s an excellent area to explore. Unlike other areas in Midtown, such as the Murray Hill district, which is primarily residential, this area of the Battery is loaded with shops and delis. It was a lot of fun to just walk and explore. It felt very safe and people were quite social and friendly. I wondered if the September 11th disaster had a part in this, perhaps changing some cultural aspect of the area. You know how people pull together during disasters. Well, this area spent the last two and a half years cleaning up after the disaster and healing emotional and financial wounds. Mind you, it’s still New York City… don’t expect everyone to be polite and act like your best friend, but there was an openness I haven’t experienced in New York. The Battery is a bit out of the way from Midtown, but its location is close to Little Italy, Chinatown, and Greenwich Village. We enjoyed it so much we’ve decided to stay at this hotel during our next visit. If you take a cab to midtown, expect it to cost between $12 and $15, not including tip. We found it wasn’t hard to find someone to share a cab and split the cost. People stand in front of the hotel looking for a cab to get up town. So, I recommend this hotel with a caution about your reservation and the hotel dealing with logistical aspects of your stay. If you skate through without problems in this area, I think you’re going to be real pleased with your stay!"

• Travel date: Sun 16th of May 2004

So wonderful!

"I was so impressed with this hotel! Everyone was really friendly, the rooms were immaculately clean and beautiful!
Rooms had huge towels (at least on the first night), bathrooms had granite countertops and marble floors. A request for two beds was happily met and we were surprised to see two European-style twin beds in the room. Beds were super-comfy, we had a corner room with a great view (but no plasma tv -- ok because who comes to NYC to watch tv anyway?) Concierges were very helpful with subway information, calling restaurants to make reservations, etc. Highly recommend! One note: If you are coming to this hotel from the Newark airport, DO NOT take super shuttle. It took TWO HOURS to get here from there. Driver had to drop off EIGHT OTHER PEOPLE before me and the van's a/c was broken and it was sweltering hot."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of May 2004

Fantastic Hotel

"Just spent 3 nights in the Millenium Hilton 23rd-26th April, what a fantastic hotel and great value for money.
After reading all the reviews about the Millenium Hilton on this website I decided to book 3 nights for my girlfriend and I through the Hilton website. We managed to get a city view room on the 41st floor including breakfast for £93 per night. We booked this about a month in advance and if you do your homework like I did that is a very good price for a 4* hotel b&b in NYC.
The room was modern and spacious with great plasma tv, internet, cd player, pay per view movies and floor to ceiling windows with an excellent view of the New York skyline and directly overlooking World Trade Centre site.
The hotel is situated in downtown Manhattan so you do have to get the subway or taxis to most of the sites and attractions, but for me this was'nt a problem at all. The subway station is right outside the hotel ($2 for one trip or $10 for 7 trips) and I never spent more than $8.00 on a taxi from the hotel.
Still loads to do close to the hotel anyway. The fantastic Century 21 dept store is next door, Wall St around the corner, Ground Zero opposite, Statue of Liberty, Chinatown, and Soho only 5 minutes away.
All in all a great hotel, great value and friendly informative staff made this hotel a great place to stay and I'd definatley stay again."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of April 2004

Rocky start, smooth ending

"Because I booked through Priceline I had great difficulty in having my request for a two bedded room honored. I didn't need the extra aggravation. After e-mailing a complaint to the Hilton website, and following more than 4 phone calls to the hotel itself one very nice gentleman assured me there would be no problem accomodating my request.
If Hilton does not want to do business with Priceline, why do they??
After booking, I feel Hilton's relationship is with the consumer without regard to how a reservation is made. Anyway, the stay was wonderful, the room immaculate, the service superb and friendly. I would not hesitate to stay again and I probably will. I had concerns about staying so close to the site of such devastation, but seeing the renewal of the area was heartening."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of April 2004

incredible!!

"This hotel is incredible! Awesome view, service was great and the huge TV... Just don't pick anything up that is in the fridge or snack drawer it will automatically be billed to your room. Will deffinately return in the near future."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of April 2004

Father's Day Fabulous

"They couldn't have been nicer. Hotel was recently reopened, and they were as thrilled to have us as we were to be there. Parlor suite with great views and great plasma TV. My husband was in heaven. Super location!"

• Travel date: Fri 9th of April 2004

Dreamy...

Good

"I stayed here March 25 - 29 2004. Guys, this hotel is fabulous. A huge, imposing dark, glassy building, with about 50 odd floors. The lobby is quite impressive, and the staff (receptionists, concierge etc) are helpful, well informed and well trained!Word of warning!! I booked through ebookers for this hotel and paid ebookers in advance. But they did not pay the Hilton the money - and ladies on the reception were insistent that I pay them. I argued that their argument was with ebookers but they were having none of it. Anyway, am in the process of claiming back my money from ebookers, but that is something to note - even though you may have paid your travel agent directly so strictly speaking your contract may not be with the Hilton directly they will hold you accountable for any outstanding charge. Between you and me, without going into too much detail, the whole debacle has surprisingly worked out very favourably for me in the end (wink).You should also be aware that the hotel directly overlooks Ground Zero. As you exit the building, World Trade Centre's empty carcass is the first thing you see. Moreover, when you look out the window, you get an aerial view of the site. I must say, it didnt really affect me until I stopped to really think about it, but more sensitive individuals might be put off.The standard rooms are very modern, stylish and spacious, with high ceilings and beautiful soft furnishings. A huge plasma TV screen is positioned directly opposite your bed. A CD player is available (although I didnt use mine). Huge, comfortable bed. Pay per view with a good range of movies, TV shows, games, and access to the internet and email. NB NO MTV tho - I thought this was odd. They have VH1 instead. Not sure why this is.My only other gripe is that you cannot remove their items, nor can you put your own items into the refridgerators. The fridge - allegedly - creates an automatic charge on your account when you remove or put anything in - so avoid this where possible. The hotels drinks and snacks are, unsurprisingly, pricey.The bathroom was elegant and again, spacious, black marble surfaces, ceramic tiled floor. Shower was nice enough - nice toiletries etc. Everywhere is immaculately clean as you would expect with the Hilton - the corridors are furnished with bright cream and yellows.Sorry, one more gripe...the gym was a bit disappointing as it didnt have a wide enough range of machines in my opinion, but it was adequate. The hotel also has a pool - I never tried it but it looked nice enough.Its in downtown Manhattan, and the hotel backs right onto Broadway where there are a wide choice of shops and boutiques for your delectation - although you do have to take the bus or subway to get there. The subway station is literally right outside! Perfect!I ate at the restaurant just once because I found a lovely deli where the food was much cheaper and more to my liking - there are lots of such delis all along broadway - I would add that the decor in some of these places could be better - but dont miss them out or you might miss all the lovely cuisine!I paid about $650 (£358 approx) for 4 nights here. A little more than I would usually spend. But would I stay here again? Definitely. Was worth every penny!"

• Travel date: Sun 4th of April 2004

Good room, excellent location

Good

"Staff is indifferent here. Got a lot of attitude for using priceline during check-in, even though I am a Gold level Hhonors member, I was completely chastized on the level of being screamed at. Don't know what the deal was but treatment like this is completely unprofessional. Came to my room and it felt like 90 degrees. A phone call gave me instructions to open my window to cool off the room. Good advice, except I was given an 8th floor room and street traffic noise fronting the WTC site can be attrocious with the window open -- with windows closed it is however SILENT, amazing. Fortunately the bell hops were very nice and efficient. Room service was great too, superb menu selection and prices were strangely not as shocking as I thought it would be (I've stayed at other Hiltons in "cheap" cities where room service was a whole deal more) so I ordered quite a few times. Meals were excellent and the food came up lightning fast, averaging only 15-20 minutes! Room was clean but strangely showing some age considering this hotel was completely renovated after 9/11. Hotel practically hugs several subway lines so public transportation is literally within footsteps of the lobby. That alone is worth it to me since I really like the subway system. Be warned however that the subway system service is really bad during off-hours on Sat and Sunday.
I had to wait nearly an hour for a train to come by to get me back to lower manhattan at 1am. All in all, the $105 I paid was well worth the money."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of March 2004

great hotel

Good

"great hotel, rooms were very nice, big plasma screen, and nice sights out of the window. Door people and staff were very friendly and helpful, great taxi service outside the hotel and nice little shops and restaurants not too far away from the hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of March 2004

This is a fantastic hotel, and lives up...

"This is a fantastic hotel, and lives up to its rating!

The rooms were lovely and large, with very comfortable beds. The bathroom was good too, a large bath, with shower overhead, large mirror and plenty of surface space for toiletries.

The staff were all helpful, and although we had no problems at all, we would have felt comfortable asking for help if need be.

Although it is not in mid town Manhattan it is still in a good location! There are several tube stops nearby making it easy to access the main area in only a few stops!

Highly recommend!"

• Travel date: Sun 16th of September 2007

Hotels near Millennium Hilton New York Downtown

Stayed at Millennium Hilton New York Downtown? Share your insight.

Millennium Hilton New York Downtown is also called