Inn New York City

266 W 71st St, New York City, NY 10023-3752

Good

The Inn - Exceptional, Spectacular

"My husband and I had a short trip to New York last week. During the first part of the trip my husband had a conference so we stayed at the conference hotel in Midtown (The Hudson Hotel) which was a so-so experience. It is modern and nicely decorated but I have closets in my home as big as the entire hotel room.

We had decided in advance that we wanted a change of scenery after the conference was over, so we elected to book a room at The Inn. After our arrival, we could not have been happier with this decision. We stayed in the Spa Suite which was extremely spacious and elegant. There was a lovely dining area by the fireplace in the bedroom, a very nice kitchen area, ample closet and luggage space, and an enormous bathroom with a wonderful spa tub and a sauna. Moreover, the room was stocked with various treats and refreshments (i.e., a fabulous chocolate cake, freshly ground coffee, fresh fruit, etc.). Additionally, the service was excellent and everyone was extremely friendly and helpful.

Another nice bonus is that The Inn is enough off the beaten path that it is in a nice quiet area which makes getting a good night's sleep so much easier than it was in Midtown. But, it is very close to Central Park and there is also quick and easy access to the subway just up the street which is extremely convenient.

Overall, we had an absolutely fantastic stay and we will definitely stay at The Inn again on our next trip to New York!"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of September 2007

This really is a special place

"My mom and I were in New York for 5 nights (4 of them at the Inn New York City) for the US Open. We started the weekend before the Open doing tourist things around Manhattan and then spent the last 3 days going out to Flushing Meadows. This place was perfectly suited for both functions.

I read all the reviews of this place before I booked and wondered if it could be as perfect as all these reviewers say. The answer is yes and no. My first reaction was that it didn’t quite live up to the reviews, but by the time I left, I had changed my mind. No place is perfect, but the positives of this place so far outweighed the negatives that it still deserves the 5 rating that I’ve given it.

Reviews up to this point have few details. I’ll probably give too many! I’ll break it down into sections: location, problems, and amenities.

LOCATION - I don’t think you can get any better than this!
•The location is on 71st almost at West End. It dead ends at the beginning of Riverside Park. You get a great view of the Hudson at the end of the street. Because of the dead end, you don’t get much street traffic.
•It’s a block to the 72nd subway where you can pick up a 1 local or a 2 or 3 express. Using the 2 or 3 trains gets you to midtown in minutes. We used it the express trains get to the 42nd street station and Penn Station with ease.
•The subway station is at the junction of Amsterdam and Broadway which is really a thriving place – banks, shops, and fast food restaurants galore. It just seems so unreal to be in the middle of all of the hustle there and step onto 71st.
•71st is absolutely gorgeous. It’s shaded by the buildings with lots of trees and little gardens and flower boxes by the residents. I didn’t realize how shaded it was until I walked over to 72nd which is much wider and sunnier.
•There’s a 24-hour Duane Read a block away on 72nd.
•Fairway Market is 3 blocks away. With the kitchen and accessories this place has, this is a real bonus and a significant way to cut down expenses. You feel like a local between shopping at Fairway and then preparing it in your brownstone kitchen.
•Buttercup Bake Shop is a couple of blocks away if you are craving cupcakes. The vanilla butter cream were great; the red velvet not so great.
•We picked up the M5 bus uptown at West End and 72nd and, man, was that an incredible drive. You have Riverside Park to the west with the Hudson and gorgeous brownstones on the east for over 30 blocks. This was one of the highlights of our trip.

PROBLEMS
•The toilet paper is really thin. I know this sounds picky, but you would expect something nicer at a place like this so concerned with the details.
•The towels were so worn they were threadbare. They were huge, though, so you can tell that there was care made in the decision to use them. They just need to be replaced.
•You can hear the guests walk around upstairs. There’s no creaking of the floors (that will drive me away from a place), so it wasn’t that bad.
•The shower head is pretty but not very functional. On the positive side, the hot water comes out instantly and is plentiful.
•The bed is lumpy, but I don’t see how they could replace it. You couldn’t get a mattress down the staircase without taking the staircase out. My mom suggested maybe a foam mattress cover would even out the bumps.

AMENITIES
•TV with the full selection (through 300 something) of digital channels including HBO
•2 distinct living areas in the Vermont Suite which can become 2 bedrooms: bedroom with queen bed and bath downstairs and living room with sofa bed and kitchen upstairs.
•No street noise
•Soft feather pillows even with the sofa bed
•The owner is wonderful. She is there as much or as little as you need her.
•Fresh flowers both upstairs and downstairs
•Phone with a direct number, free local calls, and voicemail
•There is wood every where! The antiques in this place give it such a beautiful touch.
•You really feel like you are coming home every night. We came in one night at the same time as the guy at the same level next door.
•The a/c is in a window, but it’s strong! You can move the airflow where ever you want it.
•The sheets are so soft both on the queen bed and the sofa bed.
•There are lamps and lights every where. You can tell that it’s intentionally set up for many reading spaces.
•The amount of food included every day is amazing. I tried making a list of all the different choices and stopped at 20 leaving out plenty. We made breakfast every day out of it plus the occasional lunch, part of dinner, and dessert. It cut our expenses down significantly which helped with the price of the room.
•We awoke daily to that day’s New York Times.
•The kitchen was smaller than I expected, but it is so well planned. We made a few meals actual meals in it boiling corn, eggs, etc. My mom is on a strict low sodium diet, so we cooked in as many meals as we could to control her sodium intake. I know NYC is famous for its restaurants, but there is something so pleasing to come home and enjoy a leisurely dinner bonding over the day’s events. This kitchen and the beautiful drop-leaf table really allow you to do that.
•The sofa bed was really comfortable – almost to the point of being like a real bed.

This place is truly like having your own beautifully furnished apartment with so many extras in an incredible location. I know I’m forgetting so many things because it seemed like every where we turned there was yet another wow! reaction. I’ve decided that I want to come back next year and have already started looking for another perfect place. Since I started searching so late this time, I thought I could find a better place that was booked at the time. I have not been able to find anything that can equal the combination of the amenities at the Inn, the beauty and accessibility of the UWS location, and the reasonable price."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of September 2007

Sophisticated, Elegant, Exceptional

"My wife and I just returned from a wonderfully memorable stay at this lovely Inn. The thought of an inn in bustling New York City may seem a bit incongruous, but although Inn New York offers a comfortable haven from city stress, it isn't a rustic country bed and breakfast.

Inn New York City offers a graceful, elegant and sophisticated ambiance, created with great care and a generous spirit. The attention to detail, the tasteful and original decoration, and the many thoughtfull touches make one feel exceedingly comfortable.

The combination of experiencing the carefree convenience of being in a hotel while at the same time feeling as though one is relaxing in one's own pied de terre, is exceptional.

This property is an exquisite contribution to the City of New York, and I say bravo for a job well done!

Rex and Michele Oppenheimer"

• Travel date: Thu 30th of August 2007

Perfection, Nuanced, Gentle Surprises!

"Our king-size bed was soft but firm. Sheets were delicious. Gratis food and drink everywhere. The suite was huge. The bathtub would fit 7 but we were only a couple. Took the first bath together in years ;-)
The neighborhood is excellent and convenient to everything. Ruth (the proprietor) was attentive and gracious. This was worth the price of admission. Why stay at the Ritz or Four Seasons when you can have so much more at this B&B? Five Stars!"

• Travel date: Thu 9th of August 2007

Outstanding in every way

Good

"When visiting NYC there are so many places to stay that it may seem that the best, and certainly the simplest, option is to settle for a chain hotel. Granted, better hotels have a lot of different amenities to offer but at the same time what they all offer is a "sameness," so that you really can't tell if you're in NYC, Detroit, or Peoria. But you do want something different, don't you? If so, then I strongly suggest staying at the Inn New York City.

As the name suggests, not only are you right in the city, you are right in a west-side neighborhood. Located just a few blocks from seveal good restaurants (we liked Fiorelli's and Luxemborg best) Central Park, Lincoln Center, the Museum of Natural History, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and an MTA station, the Inn NYC consists of a traditional multi-floor "brownstone" separated into several rental areas. Notice that I didn't say "rooms," as each area consists of more than just a bedroom and a bath, but instead each is a unique area on its own (be sure and check out their website for lots of good photos of each). Bottom line: if you want a great location with some unique charm, this is your place.

We took a 30 minute cab ride from LaGuardia to the Inn ($30 + tip) where we were greeted by the owner, Ruth, and shown to our room. We stayed in the Opera room, which is located on the ground floor, while the others are upstairs. Guests are given a set of keys to the two front doors right off 71st Street and to the door to your area, so immediately it feels like you're staying in someone's home and not in a rental property. Ruth and her daughter, Ellen, run the Inn and are both wonderful people who truly seem to want to make your stay all it can be. Have questions or need a suggestion for lunch or shopping? They're right down the hall or just call them. To get around town, the MTA station is only a block away and taxis are plentiful.

So, here are your choices the next time you visit NYC: another hotel room or something different and wonderful like the Inn. Take my advice and make your trip even better by staying at the Inn New York City. The level of comfort and personal attention will be very hard to beat!"

• Travel date: Sat 21st of July 2007

Inn New York City - The chilled out side of the city!

"My wife and I stayed at Inn New York City for a week in late May (20th to the 27th May). When first entering the Vermont Suite, you feel like you are transported into your own little world. The duplex style suite has everything you need and is furnitured so elegantly. With this suite having it's own separate entrance it feels like you are experiencing New York from your own place in the Upper West Side.

After spending the days in a variety of places around New York, it was always great to get back to the peace and tranquility of our place, before freshening up for the evening.

I can not recommend this place more highly. The owners are there as much or as little as you need, the pantry is refreshed everyday and the facilities are first rate.

What makes The Inn even better is that it is just a couple of blocks away from Central Park and there is a metro stop at the end of the tree lined street (so you can get around the city so easily). I would highly recommend the $24 seven day ticket (or other metrocard options) as it is an excellent way to navigate the whole area.

With this being our first trip to New York, we will definitely be back. We would definitely stay at Inn New York City!"

• Travel date: Mon 4th of June 2007

Superb stay at the Inn

"My husband and I stayed at the Inn New York City in April for 3 nights. It was a special birthday present for me. We were in the Vermont Suite which upon entering was so charming and elegant. There were so many nice touches. The refrigerator was well-stocked and replenished every day. There was a delicious bottle of white wine and a "Best Wishes" chocolate cake upon our arrival. The service made us feel so special. The bed was so comfortable and I loved the fact that all the bed linen was changed daily, including the down comforter. Housekeeping was excellent! The Inn is located on a quiet street on the UWS very convenient to the 72nd St. subway stop. It felt very safe walking in the area late at night. One of our pleasant NY experiences was getting a Gray's Papaya hot dog one afternoon. The hot dog stand is located at 71st and Broadway, just up the street from our Inn. I love NYC! The people are so friendly and warm. Elyn, the manager of the Inn was very helpful and professional. My only complaint is that our stay was too short. Loved, Loved, Loved Inn New York City!"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of May 2007

We loved the Inn at New York City

"We has a glorious time during our 2 night 3 day stay in NY at the Inn New York City.
All previous reviews say it all. This was great accommodation, owners and staff very friendly and helpful before and during our stay. They went the extra mile to ensure our short break was memerable. We had to amend our booking arrangements at the last minute and this was dealt with very efficiently.
We stayed in the Vermont Suite perfect for us but not suitable for people with special needs or young children as this was a two floor suite and had a very steep staircase.
The location is not central for downtown Manhatten but not a real issues for us as we used the Metro from 72 Street, this provided speedy transport to all the tourist attractions that we visited. We used the daily Metro Ticket at $7 - a bargain!
The Inn provided us with treats beyond our expectations.
We will definately stay there again, hopefully for longer next time

Bernie & Pauline - UK
Chris - Conn USA"

• Travel date: Sat 5th of May 2007

Exceptional ! Exceptional ! Exceptional !

"We stayed for a week at Inn New York City. It is hard to write a review that will do justice to it.

Comfort? Tops; Beautiful old house in more than pristine order.
Suites lovely with real individual identity.
Location? Great; close to Cental Park, Lincoln Centre just down the road, new Time Warner centre just next to it, after that the city is yours. We love to walk but subway 100yds.
Price? Whatever you pay for this is a bargain. I have mourned The Drake since it passed, but finding Inn New York City makes it all worthwhile.
The truth is, it is like staying with your favourite aunt who happens to live in a beautiful property, in where it is happening now in New York City. She is your favourite aunt because not only does she know how to look after you, she is cool enough to let you have all the space you want.
My only problem with this review is this; the place is so small, only four suites, why am I telling you?"

• Travel date: Sat 14th of April 2007

Surpassed our wildest expectations

"Ruth and her team made our stay a wonderful experience. The attention to detail, the service provided, the helpfulness of all the staff surpassed our expectations by a long way. This little Gem comes Highly Recommended. My Family, Friends and i stayed in the three available suites. So i had the fortune of viewing all 3. Each one offers something a little different, whichever you choose you won't be disappointed. Perfect retreat after a days hard walking around New York. Close to Central Park and therefore wonderfully located. Thank you very Much"

• Travel date: Mon 8th of January 2007

Hotels near Inn New York City

Stayed at Inn New York City? Share your insight.

Inn New York City is also called