Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street

63 West 35th Street, New York City, NY 10001-2202

Ideal location

"This brand new 'little' gem of a hotel is ideally located for Midtown. Although it's right next to 6th Avenue and the expected noise, we found it just fine. It's also a block from the Empire State building so if you get a room with a high floor you'd be able to see it from your window. Our room was on the 15th floor. the only annoyance was the sometimes extended wait for the lift. There are 3 but they do get busy at times. For breakfast I'd recommend you go elsewhere as the one offered by the hotel is pricey. Free coffee and tea in the lobby in the mornings is a nice addition. I/we would definitely come back here again!"

• Travel date: Mon 30th of March 2009

A very good value

Good

"My husband and I enjoyed this hotel. The rooms like new and very clean. It was quiet and the staf friendly and competent. The location cannot be beat. A very good value for the price."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of March 2009

Great Location, Great Deal

"We stayed one night at the Hilton Garden Inn on W.35. My only regret is that we were there just one night. The hotel is perfect -- just reopened after a renovation so new and clean and perfect. Can't say enough good things about this property. Such a relief to find a place so reasonably priced and so well located in NYC. The rate was $171 with taxes, which we were very happy with. The staff was helpful and pleasant. The location for this hotel is also fantastic. You are right at Herald Square, walking distance to Penn Station, Korea Town, Macys, etc. And, another huge bonus: the subway station is a few steps outside the hotel's front door. You can't ask for much more than that. You can get to Chinatown and Times Square without transferring and in just a few minutes. Free wireless high speed Internet access is included in your room price. Our room had a litle fridge, which is so handy to have."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of March 2009

Very Good Hotel in a Great Location

"Initially, I found a really good rate ($139 / night) for this hotel on Travelzoo.com. However, on the hotel's web-site, I found even better rates! ($129 / night). You can also pay upfront for parking at a discounted rate of $35 / day. The garage is literally across the street...very convenient.
To me, there's something very comforting about a brand new hotel (everything is new & clean). The rooms were decently sized for a NY hotel (I had the King Evolution room).
Here are my thoughts on the room.
-I thought the bed very was comfortable and they had very nice linens.
-The room had nice furniture. This included: a comfortable chair in the corner, nice desk with Herman Miller chair & a small refrigerator/coffee pot/microwave area attached to the desk.
-The 32 LCD with HD is always a nice touch.
-The bathroom was great. Nice tile shower, marble counter-top & Neutrogena products.
-The free WiFi was also very nice.

By far, one of the nicest things about this hotel is it's convenient location. As mentioned in an earlier review, there's a subway stop right outside the hotel (Herald Square). 35th Street & 6th Avenue...pretty prime location.

I did not utilize the bar or restaurant (too many other options right by the hotel).

Overall, I had a great stay! I would definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of March 2009

The bed was great if you like sleeping on a rock...

Good

"We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn from Mar 19-21, 2009. We just got back today. It was a great location, the staff was friendly and the hotel still had that new smell. We found the bed very uncomfortable. It was VERY FIRM on the softest setting. The linen was very nice as was the duvet. The bathroom was a good size comparable to a hotel chain outside the city. The shower was great (water pressure, temperature and size). The room thermostat was excellent and kept the room the exact temperature you requested. We had the king city view room 2104, 21st floor. The view was OK. I could see the "AC" in "MACY". I could see the top of the Empire State Building if I hung upside down off the bed. If I were to stay again I'd request a higher floor. No in room safe but a complimentary safe deposit box with key behind the front desk in the lobby. The room was smallish but comparable to Manhattan rooms. Room was very clean, decor was nice, furniture was new, flat screen TV was great. We never need housekeeping as we were only there two nights and the bathroom was stock with lots of towels. If coming in from Grand Central take a cab for $4 it's better than hoofing it or changing trains 2-3 times with luggage. We avoided the lobby for breakfast as previously suggested and ate out at the delis, pizza places (on the corner) and pubs (Playwrights - Shepards Pie and Dublin Fish-n-Chips were great) within a block of the hotel. Avoid the deli between Pax and McDonalds at night at least. My fiance and I stopped there at 8pm and went to their extended salad bar. It was $6.99 per lb. We went upstairs to eat and found a rowdy, not so safe feeling, makeshift bar scene with interesting "characters"."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of March 2009

Excellent location

"I was nervous about this hotel because when I booked it had no review. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice and clean this hotel is. Checki in was smooth. Some fresh chocolate chip cookies while you wait for check in. The room is a typical NYC size room. Very clean. Clean bathroom with a nice shower. Neutrogena toiletries provided. Bed isn't the most comfortable but still not bad. Free wireless internet. Free business center 24 hours for printing and faxing. Hotel also has a 24 hour fitness center.

The location is the best! Subway station is a few steps from the hotel entrance. Macy's is less than a block away (across the street really!). Lots of bakeries, cafes and restaurants nearby. I will definately stay here again."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of March 2009

Wonderful Hotel

"My Wife and I really enjoyed this hotel. The rooms were very clean. We stayed on the 5th floor and never heard any street noise. Check inn was a breeze and the hotel staff were very helpful and professional. We did not eat in the hotel resturant because of the price ($18.00), but there are several nice little resturants in the area within a 2 or 3 minute walk. The subway is 100 ft away and Macy is a 3 minute walk. Great hotel will return and stay here again. The conceigre was very knowlegable about everything and was very helpful."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of March 2009

Wonderful Stay at the Hilton Garden Inn

"My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on West 35th Street from March 11 to March 14th where we had a wonderful experience. The hotel is brand new and this is reflected in the guest rooms and in the public areas. We stayed in a room on the 29th floor—there are 31—where we had a wonderful view of the Empire State Building and of the front of Macy’s where the Thanksgiving Day Parade occurs each year. I imagine the lower floors have a more limited view because of the surrounding buildings.
The guest rooms are of a typical size for a Manhattan hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable, and a major selling point of the hotel for us was the small refrigerator. It is very convenient if one wishes to stock it with their own choice of beverages during their visit. There is a well-stocked market/deli very conveniently located right around the corner on 6th Avenue. The room also included a microwave and a large HD flat panel television as well as free Internet access which is a nice amenity for a city hotel. The thermostat worked properly so it was easy to keep the room a comfortable temperature. The widow also cracks open if one wishes to have some fresh air and hear the city sounds. With the window closed the room was practically soundproof, and this is a plus in such a busy area of the city if one desires a quieter environment. The only negatives I found in the room were that if one person was sitting at the desk it was almost impossible to walk behind them without climbing over the bed; there is limited space between the bed and the desk. However, after looking at the photographs on the hotel’s Web site it appears that some of the rooms are set up in a different manner than ours was. Possibly we gained a spectacular view for a smaller room. Also, our room had a shower not a tub as is shown in the photo gallery, and I did not notice a safe. Neither of these were important to us; the room served our purposes well. We were rarely there except to shower and to sleep, and we slept quite comfortably.
The hotel has three small elevators, and we never encountered a wait. However, the occupancy of the hotel during our stay was only around 50%, so I do not know if the elevators might pose a problem if the hotel was at full capacity. The lobby is small and functional with a seating area and a bar. There is a breakfast cafe, but we never visited it. One is responsible for getting one’s own cab, but his only affected us on our return to the airport, and a cab drove up as soon as we stepped to the curb right in front of the hotel. (We noticed cabs along West 35th Street frequently, and one would have no problem hailing one on 6th Avenue or in front of Macy’s where there is a dedicated taxi stand) The rest of our visit we walked and rode the subway. The hotel is located in an excellent area to take advantage of public transportation. There are subway stations located throughout the Herald Square and Madison Square Garden area; one station is literally steps from the front door of the hotel. Besides the attractions of Macy’s, the Empire State Building, and Madison Square Garden, there are numerous other shops and restaurants in the area, and Times Square and the Theatre District are only short blocks north. We returned to the hotel rather late several nights and felt perfectly safe on the subway and on foot.
Now for the staff. I have visited New York City quite a few times, and I have never stayed at a hotel that had a more friendly or accommodating staff. From the time we walked in the door where we were greeted with a smile to the time we left, everyone we encountered smiled, spoke to us, and told us to have a nice day or a pleasant evening. We encountered hotel management as well as maintenance staff throughout the hotel; in the lobby, in the elevators, and on our hall, and everyone spoke to us and smiled. From my experience this is not always the case in New York City, and it made our trip all the more pleasant because we felt as if we were welcome staying at the Hilton Garden Inn."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of March 2009

Great central location

"We have been going to NYC for the last 5-6 years and we enjoy staying at some place different everytime. We have stayed at the Omni Berkshire, Crowne Plaza, Best Western President, and the Marriott Residence Inn. This year we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on 35th Street (between 5th and 6th Ave) March 13-15, 2009. We originally booked the Marriott Residence Inn until we located this hotel on TravelZoo for $139.00 a night. Stayed on the 15th floor, room 1509 with our room facing uptown. The rooms are rather large for NY standards. Each room has a microwave, coffee maker, and mini refrig. The bathroom was very large and the shower was awesome. Also each room offers both wired/wireless internet at no charge, 32 inch HDTV, and a niced sized work desk. The hotel have 3 elevators and the wait was always mininum. Hotel also offers a concierge, small bar, restaurant, and a pantry with snack foods and beverages, also provided free coffee each morning. Parking garage is across the street from the hotel, along with one just up the block....original parking price is around $42.00 for 24 hrs, though if you get your ticket stamped at the Hilton the price is around $35.00. The hotel has a subway station (Herald Square) right around the corner. Empire State Building is located one street away, Macy's is across the street, and Times Square's is a short 7 blocks walk away. The hotel offers a breakfast buffet, though a bit pricey. There is a great restaurant (Andrew's Coffee Shop) located just up the street at 35th St and Broadway that offers breakfest, lunch, and dinner at very reasonable prices. This was an excellent choice for this years stay."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of March 2009

Great NEW hotel and great deal!

"We had reservation booked at the Residence Inn T.S., however, when I checked Travelzoo, the day before our trip, I immediately cancelled the Residence and Booked the Hilton Garden Inn, We got a king city view room 1509, for 139 p.night on Travelzoo!!! Fabulous. The hotel just opened 2 weeks ago. Checkin is at 3, however, we arrived at 12:30 and went right to the room. 300 sq. ft. Awesome bed that you can program to the desired firmness. Large bathroom with Nutrogena bath products. All rooms have m. wave and mini ref. with coffee maker. THe staff was very nice. The hotel is right accross from Macys, with the subway right there. Very handy, The breakfast buffett was quite pricey, however, we found a great coffe shop for homecooked breakfasts about a block away. We will stay her again. FYI, Travelzoo stil is offering this great rate forApril as well. Can not go wrong at the Hilton Garden Inn!. Oh, WIFI in all rooms, NO CHARGE"

• Travel date: Sat 14th of March 2009

Hotels near Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street

Stayed at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street? Share your insight.

Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street is also called