Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo

54 Watts St, New York City, NY 10013-1912

Good

a good value and a gem

"We stayed here for a family party in Manhattan using Hilton Points.We felt that for us it was a great deal. The parking was free since it was a weekend. This alone makes the hotel a find for a weekend get away.Plus a nice free breakfast on Sunday AM with complimentary NY Times . What more coudl you want for a weekend in NYC. The location was excellent right in the heart of Soho- great for shopping . Just down the street from Vosges and Kee's Chocolatiers among NY's finest.
The hotel is immaculate with nice high tech rooms and bathrooms. Floors have only a dozen rooms so the place is nice and quiet. Highly recommended if you want to stay in Soho. I usually am quite critical of hotels but only have praise for this place. Would stay here again."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of December 2008

Start up problems, but overall lovely stay

Good

"The hotel did not have our room ready when we got there at 3 PM, but no problem, we checked our bags with them and walked to the nearby fantastic shopping. The room was more spacious than other, more expensive hotels. It was very clean and modern. When we checked out the staff got our billing wrong which could have cost me a lot so a credit was required. Overall I was satisfied and would definitely go back."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of December 2008

Some Pros, Some Cons!

"Pros:

- Good location concerning mass transport (several bus and subway lines close by) and to SoHo/TriBeCa shopping and dining.
- Nice staff.
- Good housekeeping.
- Attractive (though obviously low-cost) design approch.
- Great bed.

Cons:

- Bad location regarding taxis (they will not approach hotel during peak traffic as they get stuck because Watts St. leads to Holland Tunnel and is chronically congested during these hours), which means you have to hail a taxi in some distance from hotel (impossible for us as we had our post-cruise luggage with us) or get set back 65 USD for a limo (took one hour to arrive).
- Rooms are incredibly small even for NY standards, though they tried to make it up by providing lots of storage space in drawers and wardrobe, but when you travel with more than one suitcase, and with company, you will get problems moving around the room.
- No check-cashing at front desk.
- Quite noisy when room is facing Watts St. especially in the morning because of traffic jam and a/c leading outside.
- No real bell staff at hand. Baggage handled by front desk (mostly ladies) or by other not designated staff members.
- Quite expensive (281 USD per night although NY was not fully booked - Hampton Inn Times Square offered rooms for 249 USD at the same time).

Advice:
- Avoid room numbers ending 01 and 09 because according to floor map they seem to be especially tiny and avoid 05 and 03 (elevator rooms).
- Go for room number ending 07. Seem to be the largest rooms."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of December 2008

Hands down - well worth every penny

"The Hampton Inn Soho is by far my FAVORITE hotel in New York City!! For a Hampton Inn, this hotel is unlike any other that I have seen in my many years of traveling.

1) DESIGN:
Right when I entered the hotel, I was in awe the design - the steel beams and columns in the lobby fit in well with the historical industrial neighborhood. After my quick and personable check-in, I noticed 2 gongs behind the front desk. By the bar, there are 4 plasma screen TVs and a larger one near the breakfast area. My absolute favorite spot in the hotel is the greenhouse in the back. There is a giant buddha head on the ground with candles lining the wall behind it and a stream flowing through the middle of the room. And the best part?...the staff mentioned that during the warmer months, the retractable roof will be open. I am definitely coming back to check that out!!

My room was pretty spacious being in Manhattan. I've stayed in rooms that cost an arm and a leg, without the convenience and cozy room that I had at the Hampton Inn Soho. The bed was so amazingly comfortable!! The stand up shower was great too, good water pressure, and nice bathroom amenities. I was on the 18th floor and the views were breathtaking at night - my girlfriend and I sat on our bed gazing out at the lights of the city and the Empire State building and Chrysler building.

2) LOCATION:
During my 4 day visit to NYC, the staff had catered beautifully to all my needs from check-in to hailing a cab and helping with my bags during check-out. Since my girlfriend had never been to the city, the staff recommended numerous tourist attractions, informed us of specials and the best times to go to shows, and pointed us in the direction of great restaurants and good shopping. A couple steps from the hotel is West Broadway, which is lined with designer stores, good brunch spots like Balthazar, and upscale bars and clubs. The hotel is also near Greenwich Village, Tribeca, Chinatown. Couldn't have asked for a better location!! NYU is right around the corner too... lots restaurants and bars in that area.

3) PEOPLE:
Just a side note - this hotel attracts very good looking people. Not sure if it's the neighborhood or the Hampton Inn, but I was impressed. Everyone is really trendy and gorgeous!

My vacation was way too short, and you can bet on it that I will be back to the Hampton Inn Soho... love the trendy, hip design, young fashionable people, convenience to restaurants, nightlife, shopping, site-seeing in Manhattan, and friendly staff with warm smiles who genuinely wanted us to enjoy our stay. Like I said.. Hands down the BEST hotel in Manhattan for less than $250!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of December 2008

Reliable, Inspiring, and Beautiful

"Hamptons are where I normally stay because my company has an account with them. With franchises, they are normally run of the mill and nothing exciting. The Hampton Inn Soho is gorgeous. the location is where you want to be, SOHO. The hotel is jam packed with designs inspiration from the beams and columns, to their greenhouse. The employees are very warm and welcome. It was hard to communicate with the housekeepers, but they were very helpful and cheerful. As usual, free breakfast and coffee. If Hampton's continues to build their properties with such distinction, I will be very pleased. The views on the upper floors are stunning as well. I will definitely be back."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of December 2008

Excellent Digs, Amenities, Services for Touring the Big Apple

"Short version: Clean; amazing value; incredibly warm, friendly, accommodating staff; good location.

Long version:

We needed a place to stay for a film festival in the East Village. I chose the Hampton Inn because I needed two beds and a place that was very clean--I was traveling with a very persnickety person. Thanks to reviews on TripAdvisor, I selected this property over others closer to the East Village. I'm so glad I did!

(1) Check-in was a breeze, with very friendly, warm staff. The woman explained what they had available, where to find it, etc. She also shortly after we settled in to make sure everything was to our satisfaction. At the front desk they have Otis Spunkenmeyer cookies, mints, and other snacks that are gratis. They also have free coffee available 24 hours in the lobby.

(2) The room was a great size for Manhattan standards: Two double beds with great, fluffy comforters and three pillows per bed. They had a little lap desk for people who want to use their laptop while lying in bed, two dressers, and a desk. Everything was spotlessly clean, including the bathroom. Great water pressure, and lots of hot water. Plenty of towels: two large ones per person, two washcloths per person, and two hand towels per person.

(3) Breakfast is included. They had cereal, fruit, yogurt, some muffins, toast, PB, honey, biscuits, and a hot chafing dish with sausage and waffles. Breakfast is served from 6am to 10 am, and on Saturday morning they left the food out slightly longer to accommodate the later risers.

(4) Free internet. 'Nuff said for this huge plus. They also have a computer and printer down in the lobby, which we used to print out boarding passes. This was also free.

While it appears that they cater to the business traveler, they were very friendly and helpful for the tourist crowd: Take-out menus, maps, tour recommendations....they were like "just ask!"

The only negative---which is really quite a minor one---is that the properly is located right near the Holland Tunnel. Traffic backs up on the street that the hotel is on, so your taxi may drop you off a block over to avoid getting stuck in the traffic.

It's a quick walk up 6th Ave to Houston, Bleeker, and Spring streets right into the heart of Soho.

We paid a ridiculously cheap $159-$189/night, booked through the hotel's website.

While I generally try to avoid patronizing sterile chain establishments, I would make an exception for this property. We will definitely be back!"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of November 2008

Loved this hotel

"I was concerned about booking a hotel in NYC since you never really know what you will find in a city that large. This hotel had just opened a day or two before we checked in and I loved everything about it. The hotel personnel were all extremely friendly, and helpful. The hot breakfast in the morning was more than I've seen in other hotels. Usually you just get a continental type breakfast. The room was beautiful and perfectly clean each night we came back to the room. The bedding and bed was extremely comfortable. If there were any concerns at all, it was that the bathroom needed more counter space or shelves to spread out in.
I would definately plan on staying at this hotel again, or after this experience, any Hampton Inn."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of November 2008

Great Hotel

"This is a great hotel. The decor was detailed and not your typical Hampton Inn. I felt like I was really in soho and the hotel embraced the image, especially with the exposed beams in the lobby. The giant head in the greenhouse was unexpected and added to the effect or its trendiness. The rooms were good in size for nyc rooms. I had a north facing room on the 16th floor and it had great views of the empire state building. The staff was very helpful in referring great places to eat. The only thing that would have made it better was if the bar was open. It would have been great to grab a quick drink before going out."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of October 2008

Outstanding value.

"This is a new hotel and had been open about 2 weeks prior to my stay. The hotel is well decorated with a contemporary upscale theme. The staff is very helpful and friendly too. I found the beds to be comfortable and appeared to be same/similar bedding/beds as found in the Hilton Garden Inn chain. There is a 32" LCD in the room and two armoire's to place your belongings. I had a room on the North side around 14th/15th floor and it was small but relatively large for Manhattan. The walls/door soundproofing is a little thin. In a quiet room you can hear the next rooms TV if they have it at a normal level, but its muffled and not overly disturbing unless you are sensitive to that. The city noise is not too noticeable either except the occasional siren or beeping. This is in New York though so that is to be somewhat expected, I was never awakened by these noises at all.

The bathroom is nice with granite, stainless steel, and glass touches. The shower doors are sliding glass and heavy, mine keep sliding open due to weight of the door, it was a quick fix. Also the light in the bathroom kept popping on by itself, not sure why but they don't have a normal switch in there its a button you tap that has a nightlight embedded for when the light is out, must have been a hiccup with the switch because of the newness of the site. The only other issue I had was sometimes the electric card reader on the door did not want to work and it took a couple tries to get in the room.

The real surprise of this hotel was the complimentary breakfast. They have coffee, tea, juices, yogurt, breads, bagels, muffins, pastries, fresh fruit, oatmeal, cereal, eggs, usually a meat choice although one day they did not have any meat. The fresh fruit was awesome every day, and enough to get a healthy breakfast, the eggs were not so great, they were powdered or fake or something like that. They also give you a USA Today at your room or in the lounge where you get breakfast.

The surrounding area has lots of places to eat and shop, it is safe to walk around and get to the subway easily, getting a cab on Watts St is difficult due to its proximity to the Holland tunnel, the front desk can assist in calling a cab to the front door. It is easier to walk to the corner at 6th Ave and hail a cab, the desk can assist with that too. There is wired and wireless Internet, (free to guests, they will give you a internet access code), its a solid broadband connection 500k to 1.5m up/down. I will be staying in this hotel when I visit again."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of October 2008

Gem in the Heart of Soho

"This is not your ordinary Hampton. I walked in and I was not expecting to see a silver lobby with high arches, pendant lighting, silver backdrop, a stream and artifact or buddha head..however, you want to look at it. The place is very nice, especially the greenhouse. The bar was not open yet. I asked the front desk when the bar was supposed to open and they have not given a date. The hotel uses a lot of steel, glass and iron to give it this industrial chic feel to it. Doesnt surprise me as Soho is known as the cast iron district.
The guestrooms are pleasant and the bed very comfy. The corridors have pleasant city unframed artwork with unique lighting above it. I realized the bed has like 4 different kinds of pillows just in case one doesnt work out, you can switch to another. There are LCD tvs in the rooms. Chairs dont fully go under the desks though.
The gym has freeweights, bike, elyptical, and treadmill with mats. The meeting room has stainless steel tiles..small but enough for 10 people.
The hotel is 2 blocks away from West Broadway, which is known as shoppers row. Trendy European feeling neighborhood. Compared to paying 500+ a night at the other hotels in the neighborhood, mine was under $300 and only 2 blocks away.."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of October 2008

Great hotel, great staff, highly recommended

"We had a great stay, hotel staff were all so welcoming and helpful. Room was good size, bright and clean. Would definitely recommend and would love to return one day. "

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of July 2012

Hotels near Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo

Stayed at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo

• thatcham by thatcham

"Subway really near to hotel and so reasonable "

Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo is also called