Guest Room

Gild Hotel - hidden gem

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"Stayed at the Gild Hotel for 2 nights in late July. When checking in, I was upgraded to a suite. It was huge and very nice. The bathroom is super clean and nice with plenty of toiletries... The minibar was fully stucked but still had some room to place your own bought drinks. The breakfast was nice, but be in time in order to get the good stuff! The only downside was the wi-fi - it was supposed to work all over the hotel, but it simply did not work in my room so was forced to go down to the lobby to access the Internet. But all in all, a very good experience in NYC!!"

• Travel date: 3rd August 2008

A Real Gem - But Hard to Find!

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"We selected this hotel for a long New York weekend based on the Trip Advisor reviews and comments. We found the reviews to be accurate and helpful. The hotel is excellent. The rooms were large - by NYC standards - and the beds in particular are exceedingly comfortable. We found the rooms to be very clean and really liked the Fresh-brand toiletries. The real strength of this hotel is its friendly and talented staff. From the team at the Front Desk to the ladies in housekeeping, we found them all to be courteous and interested in making our stay as nice as possible. The challenge for this hotel is its location. We were driving from DC, and had trouble finding the hotel even with GPS, Mapquest and a good nav system. The construction along nearby Fulton Street made access to the hotel even more difficult. Once at the hotel, the Fulton Street Subway stop gave us easy access to the rest of Manhattan. I would caution anyone who drives to this hotel about the high daily parking charges. We found them to be very high for weekend rates. All in all, it was an terrific home for a fine New York weekend."

• Travel date: 26th July 2008

Fantastic experience!

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"My best friend and I stayed at Gild Hall from July 18th to the 20th. Coming up from DC, I had not spent much time at all in New York. After consulting some friends, I heard the SOHO would be a really great place to stay. With time running short to book, we tried our luck with Hotwire. When I first saw that location of Gild Hall, I was a little concerned, but the location ended up being great for us. We mostly took taxis and walked but we got to see the city fairly easity. The hotel, as you will accuratly read, is in the financial district, only a few blocks away from the NY Stock Exchange, Trinity Church, South Seaport, Statue of Liberty, etc. The hotel's staff is absolutly wonderful- friendly and have great recommendations about restaurants and bars, and will call a taxi for you if needed and offer to even if its not. More about the hotel. The hotel lobby, and each of the rooms is decorated nicely and is super clean. We stayed on the 15th floor and slept on a comfortable king bed which suited us fine because we had plenty of room to ourselves on each side. The LG flat screen had great picture quality. The water pressure was great in the room. The bathroom was stocked with Fresh products, the mini bar had Dean and Deluca. Each night our bed was turned down, and we were left two Fat Witch brownies. The glass bathroom that you can see in other pictures may bother some people who are light sleepers because the light shines through pretty clearly, though it is tough to tell what is going on inside because of the beveled/textured nature of the glass. The first night we were there we didn't think they had a hair dryer, but they do, it is in the closet by the provided robe. They have three small gyms on different levels. We had an awesome experience and will stay at Gild Hall again."

• Travel date: 21st July 2008

Best kept secret in great location

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"I LOVE LOVE LOVE this place. From check in to check out everything was just great....and as the previous post said make sure to keep singles out and ready for those great bellmen. Me and my wife in town for business from Chicago and we decided to check out the Gild Hall since it was close to where I work and also much quieter and away from the hustle and bustle of our last stay in midtown. A bit bummed out they had no restaurant but the front desk make the best recommendations and you even get a discount as this great local resto if your a guest! Complimentary pastries and java in the morning was exactly what I needed! Right near the south st seaport. The rooms were superbly designed and make sure to ask for the high ceiling rooms! The staff were as friendly and kind as they were attractive! Even one of the front desk people (andre) was kind enough to help us get a taxi and carry our bags three blocks to where our driver was waiting to take us to the airport! A bit hard to find but maybe that keeps it a hidden secret! Two thumbs up everyone at the place shows what hospitality is really about! Cant wait to go back."

• Travel date: 16th July 2008

mixed feelings

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"We stayed 4 nights in the Gild Hall end of June and stayed in a superior king room (#53). Room was rather small for the $400/night we payed, buit well equiped. The big problem with the room was the very noisy airco unit, one of those large, old-fashioned in-room units. They come to life with a very loud click and in case you are not so sound asleep (ie when jetlagged or after a few hours of sleep) you are sitting upright, totally frightened and wondering what happened. There was no way to avoid turning off the airco unit, because New York City was very hot and humid and.,.,.. across the street is a building with an airco unit that is even more noisy. So opening the window is no option. Apart from that some minor nuisances that you would not expect in a hotel in this category: Tv channels did not correspond with the titles in the menu; the (free) wireless hotel guests network is NOT the one called Thompson (that's the one for the administration), but the one called ZyXel, which is confusing when your computer detects 20+ wireless networks! Apart from that, there are quite a few very positive aspects: front office staff is very helpful and friendly and so is the concierge. He even put our rented bikes in a special storage room."

• Travel date: 6th July 2008

Awesome

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"I travel on a budget, so have never before stayed in a 5 Star hotel, but because of a great introductory weekend rate, I reserved this hotel for when I popped through New York on a return from London. This hotel is just wonderful - from the warm welcome at midnight on Friday, to the brownies at turndown, the coffee and pastries in the morning, and the lovely room, it was wonderful. The room was beautiful, the lights and TV on when I entered, I thought I had walked into an occupied room, but soon realized it was because of the turn-down service. I'm not usually fond of "modern" lines, tend to prefer more of a cozy feel, but this room was perfect. The bathroom is lovely and the toiletries and first rate, I loved the large soaps, and high-end shampoo, conditioner, and lotion that was changed out each day with fresh items. There was a nice comfy robe and lovely soft sheets, a wonderful mattress, and thick fluffy towels. I didn't hear any noise from outside or from adjoining rooms, even though my room was close to the elevator. The only downside is that it was a bit difficult to find after dark (the cabbie had no idea where it was) and the area on the weekends tends to close down, and restaurants are a bit away, but there is room service available, and the on-site restaurant should be great when finished. Everything was first rate, and though I doubt I will be able to stay here at regular rates, I would highly recommend it."

• Travel date: 30th June 2008

Gild Hall was great except for the bed.

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"Travelzoo had a great deal for the hotel and I am a big fan of the Fresh brand products that the hotel stocks the rooms with, so after reading the great reviews I decided to book a room for our trip to NYC. It should be noted that although the hotel's address is 15 Gold St., it's entrance is on Platt St. Good information if you're arriving via car. Some of the nearby streets are closed for construction (the sign says through 11/08) so be sure to look for the hotel on Platt not Gold, or you'll spend a lot of time circling around the nearby one-way streets that aren't closed off. The staff was very nice, and the lobby and hotel in general are very attractive. It's a close walk to the piers, and less than a mile from China Town and Little Italy. Perfect for dinner. The next morning we also walked to Ground Zero and the Wall St. area which were very close. The nice little touches: turn down service in the evening, Fat Witch brownies left in the evening, a mini-bar fridge which had a little room for our leftovers, Fresh brand lotion/shampoo/conditioner (love them!), flat screen tv, a quiet air conditioning unit, and a plush bed. The bed reminds me of the Hyatt's Dream bed. So comfortable to relax on, but oh how my back hurt in the morning. Too soft for me, though I wanted to like it. High powered shower in the morning felt great. The glass bathroom door that some people have referred to didn't bother me. It's texturized glass, you can't see everything behind it. The muffins and pastries in the morning were nice, fully stocked until almost 10 AM. All in all a great stay, and if they had firmer beds I'd gladly return."

• Travel date: 27th June 2008

Great Hotel!

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"We booked 5 nights through Quikbook, and were not unhappy with the results. While the 11th floor room we received was a little smaller than we are accumstomed to in our travels, it seems to be an adequate size for New York. The bedding was perfect, the room was clean, there was a decent sized closet and in-room safe, and the washroom was clean, modern, and had enough shower pressure. The location of the hotel is pretty good for downtown Manhattan. You're not too far away from the Fulton Street subway station, and we found the 2/3 lines most convenient for us. There was also service with A, C, 4, 5, among others that were convenient for getting uptown. You're a few blocks away from Broadway, and there is tons of shopping within walking distance, like J&R and Century 21. The only disappointment we had was that the turndown service failed to fully secure our door one evening. We came back to our room to find that while the door wasn't ajar, it was not fully closed. Luckily, the location of the room was at the end of the hall, so there wasn't much walking traffic. But we only received a couple of perfunctory apologies from the desk clerk. We were told the housekeeping manager would get back to us, but never heard from anyone else, and did not receive some token of apology (like a meal chit for their current dining relationship). All in all, a great stay was had by all."

• Travel date: 23rd May 2008

No doubts I will be back...

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Before booking this hotel I had reserved other hotels in NYC and one day I saw good deal from quickbook. The price was the reason I chose hotel since I was having doubts on their design, location.... I cancelled earlier booked hotels and gave a try.After this stay, I know I will definately return to this hotel even if I have to pay more. People working at the hotel are so friendly, relaxed and laid back! Such a great welcome, no attitude or arrogancy as in many NYC's hotel of such level. They were always there to help us. The room is cute. Enough for two. Great bed and great bed linens from Frette. Huge flat tv, free internet. Bathroom is small but no problems with that. The only thing I did not like is old air condition machine, which does make quite a lot of noise. Luckily it was not too hot on NYC when we were there but in summer, you might need to leave airco on the whole night and I do not like that idea... No problems with location. Actually it was nice not to stay in up manhattan but in down town. Brooklyn is very close. Meat pack, Soho, Lower East a few stops with metro. Enough to discover and see. Thanks guys at Gild Hall for such a great service!"

• Travel date: 15th May 2008

Pleasant surprise!

Reviewed 10th October 2012

"My cousin was getting married during the last weekend in March. It was at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. I contemplated whether to attend or not because 1. I'm not familiar with Brooklyn to find a hotel to stay in and 2. Manhattan hotels are way too expensive. After a LOT of online searches for hotels in NYC, I finally found a great deal at the Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel in lower Manhattan. It's in the Wall Street/ Financial area. I thought why not, it's close to Brooklyn and affordable. When I arrived (around 11pm), I was a little disappointed by the location - it was quiet since it's in the Financial district, not much going on... But then when I checked in, I had a positive experience. The front desk rep was very friendly and helpful. She upgraded me to a room on the 15th floor (not sure what I would've had in the first place) and informed me that they're close to completing renovation of the hotel, but excuse the appearance. I didn't notice anything different like messiness or noise so it didn't bother me... I took the elevator, which was nice and clean. Then got to my room and I was very impressed! (wasn't expecting much to begin with) This place exceeded my expectation - there was a king size bed, flat screen TV, sitting area, free Wi-Fi. It was very spacious (and clean!) for a NYC hotel! Next day, I took a walk and was pleasantly surprised that I was so close to the subway, PATH, ground zero, South Street Seaport and other touristy areas. The hotel was also close to shops like Century 21, Borders, Daffy's and Sephora. This worked out great for me! To sum up, know that this hotel is located in lower Manhattan, close to the southern tip. If you plan to have a partying weekend or want to explore all of Manhattan, then this might not work out for you. However, if you don't mind the commute or if you're going to Brooklyn, NJ, want to explore Wall Street, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, places below 14th Street or even Canal Street, then this is a great place to stay. Enjoy!"

• Travel date: 7th May 2008

Hotels near Gild Hall A Thompson Hotel

Gild Hall A Thompson Hotel is also called

• Holiday Inn Hotel Wall Street
  • gild hall new york city
  • gild hall hotel