Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

141 East 44th Street, New York City, NY 10017

A 'grand' central hotel!

"Hotel was great (once we had managed to find it - no police officer seemed to know!). Although our room wasn't ready when we arrived, we were given drinks vouchers whilst we waited. The room was not a bad size - very very soft and squishy mattress and pillows. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Location of hotel was superb - very quiet yet near everything! Would recommend the hotel to anyone wanting a short stay close to good restaurants etc."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of May 2005

Made a special trip even more wonderful

"In January 2005 my husband and I arrived in NYC to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and also have a very belated honeymoon !! I chose the hotel from the internet and was a little nervous, as I wanted our trip to be perfect. I had no need to worry, from the moment we set foot in the Fitzpatrick Grand Central we were made feel extremely welcome and the atmosphere was so good. After checking in we were shown to our room, which was absolutelt gorgeous, spotlessly clean and very inviting. It had everything you could possibly need, right down to an umbrella, for those rainy days !
The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on, in fact we were considering trying to bring it home ! The decor was beautiful with canopied bed, matching curtains, tv, coffee maker even a hairdryer was supplied, also a trouser press and safe.
The staff were extremely friendly and very helpful, and on discovering it was our anniversary a bottle of champagne was left in our room for us with a little handwritten note.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wholeheartedly, it definitely made a special trip even more so for us. A big thank you to all the staff especially Greg and George for making our trip unforgettable."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of April 2005

The MOST comfortable bed ever!!

"Stayed here for 3 nights and was very pleasantly surprised. This is a smallish hotel just around the corner from Grand Central Terminal. The room was smallish but very nicely done up and the bed was absolutely gorgeous. Apparently they have installed new matresses which are really soft but supportive as well - I have to say I've never slept in a more comfortable bed. The hotel doesn't have any pomp or ceremony which I like. The maid service was really good as well. I love staying in a hotel with bath robes and this has them although the bath itself wasn't that big but you can't have everything. All in all I would recommend this hotel - lets face it in a place like New York you won't be spending much time here anyway."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of April 2005

Good Value @ Fitzpatrick

Good

"For my first visit to NY, I was really worried about where to stay. I had no real points of reference for much of anything. This hotel turned out to be my oasis.
My only gripe was that upon checking in the heater was malfunctioning. It was promptly fixed but later on that night when I returned, it was not heating up again. The attentive staff came up within 5 minutes to fix it. Other than that, I thought the room was nice. No real view of anything except the brick building next to me, but still not a bad rate for the comfortable bed and clean bathroom."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of April 2005

This is a good hotel

Good

"I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in March/April 1005 and I think it is a good hotel. The rooms are comfortable. Yes, the TV cabinet doors get in the way, but it is only a minor complaint. The bathrooms are great and the housekeeping is very good. Breakfasts are good and well preapred and the staff are friendly and very helpful. The hotel has a nice, informal atmoshere and is not so large as to be impersonal. lt is also very well positioned."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of April 2005

A Hotel that caters for European tastes

"I have just returned to the UK from a 4 night stay at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel in New York from 31st March-4th April 2005. I stayed with my partner and our 4 children. The hotel rooms were all extremely well furnished and the beds beautifully comfortable. The hotel is quiet and off the main drag so a good night's sleep is assured. The staff are extremely friendly, welcoming and helpful. There were lots of air crew staying at the hotel which to me signifies a good hotel to those in the know. The breakfasts are outstanding with lovely pastries, juice and coffee and Earl Grey Tea. The cooked breakfasts and pancakes were a hit with our kids. The pub is fine with kids in the evening and they can sit there with the adults without any problem at all. All the bar and waiting staff in the Wheeltappers pub were very friendly and attentive to our needs. The evening food is good too. The smoke free atmosphere is a real plus. The concierge was very helpful in advising about taxis and arranging the return transfer to the airport. We were delighted with the hotel and will recommend it highly to any of our friends who are planning to visit New York. Well done FGC"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of April 2005

Nice Stay at Fitzpatrick Grand Central

Good

"We stayed 4 nites at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central at the beginning of February, 2005. A year prior we stayed at the other Fitzpatrick location in Manhattan, my Irish-descent husband wanted to try the "other Fitzpatrick" this time.

We loved the location on a quiet block of 44th St., around the corner from the Chrysler Building, a half block from Grand Central, also a half block from busy Third Avenue. I love Grand Central, one of the great public spaces in America. With many food vendors and restaurants, bars, shopping, etc., it's a hub for more than catching a train.

We booked a good rate of about $162 (found on the Fitzpatrick website and booked on their tollfree phone number) and I was told we would get their smallest room for that price. Upon arrival I asked for a quiet room and was assigned a very good room (not too small) at the end of the hall on the 9th floor. My husband was arriving later that night and the front desk handled putting aside a key for him so that he had no hassles when he arrived at 1:30am.

The room was clean, beautifully decorated, the bathroom was spotless and had its own wall heater and a window for natural light. We had some problems with maintenance items: the heater failed during the first night (thank heavens for the separate bathroom heater) and when the engineer came to fix it the air filter was totally clogged. My husband remarked that the hotel obviously had no preventive maintenance program.

During our stay they were stringing high speed internet cable in the ceilings of our hallway, between our room and the elevator. It was a minor hassle, but the workers came down out of the ceiling and moved the ladder each time we came by, so we weren't unduly inconvenienced. I did notice that British Airways crews stay in the hotel, we would see the cabin attendants having briefings each morning on our way to breakfast. We didn't see any other American guests, all were British or Irish.

The restaurant was OK, prices a little high but it is NYC. I especially liked the cozy fireplace with a crackling blaze in the hotel entrance and in the restaurant. I must say that NYC's "no smoking in bars & restaurants" is wonderful.

Both NYC Fitzpatricks are solid offerings, pleasant, clean, good staff. I give a slight edge to the Grand Central location, due to the quiet street and proximity to the services, transport options, and amenities of Grand Central itself."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of March 2005

Fab Fitz!

"2 adults + 2 teenagers . First stopped at Fitzpatrick Grand Central early December 2003 for 3 nights, first time in NY & found all at the hotel very friendly and helpful, although had 2 days of blizzards still found what parts of NY we could visit to be wonderful. Hotel is right next to Grand Central Station which has a wonderful little market & loads of places for food. Returned to the 'Fitz' over easter 2004 this time for 5 nights, length of stay recommended as theres that much to do and see in NY! Again found the hotel and staff superb, the rooms again were spotless and cleaned everyday. Used the 'Wheeltapper' pub next to / attached to the hotel every night friendly locals and staff made the 'wind down' drinks a pleasure. Would recommend The Fitzpatrick Grand Central to all, great location etc, took time to fill out one of the Hotels questionaires and were surprised to recieve a reply 2 weeks after our stay, just proves they must read them! If you decide to go to New York you'll not be disappointed!! PS best ride in NY Statten Island ferry and its Free!"

• Travel date: Tue 1st of March 2005

Lovely Stuff

"We stayed at the Fitzpatrick for New Year. It is situated slap bang in the middle of everything so it's easy to get around from there. Right opposite Grand Central and so easy enough to jump on most metro lines. Plus there is a an amazing market opposite if you want some fresh fruit and juice or bagels every morning.

The room was cleaned every day, new towels and clean flannels. Bed made and they even fold your PJ'S :)

The staff were pretty nice. Some really really nice and some a bit standoffish but overall they were helpful and friendly.

We were given vouchers for a free drink in the pub next door and welcomed to spend new years there. Which was a nice touch (even though we don't drink)

Overall it was a great place to stay."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of February 2005

Excellent stay at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

"My Husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and although I had been to New York before, this was his first visit. Although the room we requested was not available on check in, we were asked to wait in the bar and offered a complimentary drinks while we waited. This, to me, is making a bad situation right. This hotel is very good at making sure the guest is treated well. The room was a bit small, but extremely comfortable and the staff was very friendly and helpful going out of their way several times to help us. Food in the restaurant was quite good, both breakfast and dinner, but there are a few Irish pubs nearby where the food is also very good with lower prices. The hotel is right down the street from Grand Central station and you could walk to several attractions such as Time Square etc.. New York is a very easy city to walk around in and taxis are quite reasonable if needed.
To sum up, this hotel is well located with a great staff and a delightful room. We would definately stay at this hotel again."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of February 2005

Hotels near Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Stayed at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel? Share your insight.

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel is also called