The Lobster Place at Chelsea Market

Great location

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"Stayed in the Doris Day room, which has a private bath and is only a two-flight walk up (as other posters have noted, there is no elevator). Yes, the rooms and hallways have movie posters, but rooms (and hallways) are exceedingly drab. The bottom drawer on the dresser didn't work, the ironing board is one of those tiny things that never quite works right, three bulbs in the bathroom remained burned out during the length of our stay . . . The "breakfast area" off the lobby is teeny-tiny, and we finally left rather than try to work our way past the other lodgers there. We did notice a slight odor in the lobby one day from the cute little cat. That said, this hotel has to have one of the best locations in all of New York for the gay or lesbian visitor -- walk a few blocks this way to Chelsea and a few blocks that way to the West Village, plus the subway is right on the corner. And I can stay in a drab room when the price and location are right. The rooms did seem clean, and the management makes the attempt to "go the extra mile:" they slip a small flier of the next day's cultural events under your door each night. As with any hotel, the helpfulness of the staff is hit or miss -- some hardly seemed to care, while others bent over backward to be helpful. So if you don't go expecting too much, and don't expect to spend much time in your room (we didn't), this is an excellent choice for the budget-conscious traveler."

• Travel date: 6th March 2006

Great Stay

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"Had a gerat stay here, the staff is so helpful and attentive. My room was so cute, with great old movie posters. Breakfast was great and a good money saver. The place is clean and the location can't be beat, with the subway on the corner. Best of all they were able to get me tickts to the theate at 40% off."

• Travel date: 3rd March 2006

I (heart) New York and this place is OK too

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"I stayed here at the start of September 2005. My room was fine, though a little dark (I ended up with a body crisis for my first two days because of the bad lighting - couldn't see me in the mirror properly). The window didn't seem to shut properly and the air con unit was very loud. However, if any of these things concerned me enough at the time, I would have mentioned it to the staff then - they didn't and so I didn't. Breakfast was good and a great way to meet your fellow guests (i.e. pick-up), but don't get me wrong, this is not one of those places where you check-in, get it out and then get it on. On the whole, I must say, this place felt a little musty to me, it needs a good cleaning and dusting (maybe that's just the house wife in me coming out). I also thought the shared WCs could have been a little cleaner, I'll admit that I am quite fussy about that kind of stuff but I don't think it was at the standard that most people would expect (anyway, who goes to New York to sit in a WC?). The staff were friendly and helpful and the location is great. If I stayed here again, I would get an en-suite room."

• Travel date: 17th February 2006

I will be staying at The Chelsea Pines Hotel again.....

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"I loved my stay at The Chelsea Pines Hotel. It is certainly located so that I could walk to most places that I wanted to go. The hotel was clean and the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. I do have 2 suggestions. It would have made my stay somewhat better if the shower head had been better. When taking a shower, it is nice to have a full stream of water. I must say that I could ---- harder than the water coming out of my shower head. I would suggest one of the “Rainmaker” showerheads. It feels just like a shower. The other suggestion is my cable wire connecting my TV needs to be permanently connected. One day I was without cable because the wire had come loose in the back. I did not realize this because I thought the cable had gone off. Only the next day when I realized that the cable wire had become disengaged, I reattached the wire. Also, could you please get a couple more channels on the cable (maybe CNN, TCM and AMC)? Thanks so much and I am looking forward to my next stay. Christopher Freeman"

• Travel date: 8th February 2006

Bring Your Own Ajax

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"The Chelsea Pines is just plain dirty. I found myself actually cleaning the walls as they were too disgusting to deal with. Never again."

• Travel date: 8th November 2005

Disgraceful!!

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"Traveled from Canada....what a dump!! Anyone who comments that this is a great place to stay needs serious help! Very tiny room and dirty carpets. Run for the hills!!"

• Travel date: 18th September 2005

Great Value, Charming, Friendly

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"I'm a native New Yorker who moved away last year. This was actually the first time I've stayed in a hotel in NYC and I wanted to spend my money on clothes and entertainment rather than a 5-star hotel. I was very surprised at how cheap the Chelsea Pines was, comparatively speaking ($160/night for large deluxe room), when 5-stars charge over $400/night. It's very conveniently located at 14th St. between 8th and 9th Aves., only a five minute walk from the center of gay life in NY. I like staying in gay and gay-friendly hotels, and the Chelsea Pines was one of the better ones I've experienced in the last few years. Very friendly, accessible staff, fun and kitschy rooms (I stayed in the "Paul Newman" room, replete with original posters of his movies) and a decent though not super breakfast. Also, I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was--I've stayed in a few places where drunken screaming queens raging in the hallways make life miserable, and this was definitely not in that category. I saw that someone gave this hotel a very negative rating and I'm puzzled because I'm quite demanding and this hotel exceeded my expectations."

• Travel date: 16th August 2005

Charming!

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"A charming, old fashioned B&B in a quaint, historic building. Great service, friendly staff. Right in the middle of everything. What more can you ask for?"

• Travel date: 5th August 2005

Really awful weekend. Avoid this place.

Reviewed 21st October 2012

"What a dump! I will never stay there again. I will sleep on a park bench in hell before I stay at this horribly appointed and smoke-filled pit. My (non-smoking) room smelled like a bar. It was smokey and beer riddled. The staff was unprofessional and inept. The only good thing I have to say about this place was there was a really sweet cat that hung out in the lobby."

• Travel date: 6th July 2005

Chelsea Pines great for Gay/gay friendly travellers

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"A friendly well-located (for the Village and Chelsea) clean hotel. Staff were helpful and rooms were comfortable and "uniquely decorated!" The only thing to watch is there is no lift and the stairs are steep due to the age of this quaint building."

• Travel date: 4th April 2005