414 Hotel

414 West 46th Street, New York City, NY 10036-3505

Loved this place

"I arrived at the hotel around 8:30pm, and was concerned about the reservation being cancelled. There was no problem at all with the late arrival. I found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. When I got to my room, the air conditioning was already turned on. The room was much bigger than I expected. The bathroom was quite large in size also. There was also a refrigerator in the room. One morning we left some money out for the maid intending for it to be a tip, and to our surprise, it was still there when we got back to our room. Thee location is ideal. Just a few blocks away from several major attractions. I felt totally safe in this neighborhood, compared to other places where there is gun shots in the front windows! The courtyard in this place is quaint, and a nice change of pace to see greenery in the city. There is no noise from the city at all in this hotel! I was also pleased with the breakfast. There was not only juice and muffins, but also had cereals and fruits and bagels to go with, I guess an expanded Continental breakfast. I am planning to stay again at this place when I come back! I would highly recommend it to all!!! Another plus for this place is they will hold your luggage for free for you after you check out if you want to go walk around the city some more, most other places will charge for this."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of August 2005

Good location

Good

"I stayed in this small hotel for a night in the last week of July. Since it was a Sunday I got to pay USD 99 for the night (from hotels.com). Customer service is okay. I arrived at the hotel in the afternoon and since the check-in time is 3 PM I was asked to keep my bags with the staff. When I came back at 11 PM I saw that my room was ready (with the A/C on at full blast, imp in July) and my bags were in my room. The lady at the frontdesk in the afternoon was a little on the "unwelcoming" side, i.e., she didn't receive me with the kind of attitude you usually see in hotel receptionists (though not rude). However, when I checked in at night a different person was there and he was good. He even told me that I could have free continental breakfast tomorrow morning from 7-10 AM.

Regarding the hotel itself, it is a townhouse sort of building converted to a hotel. You could see apartments all around the streets. The hotel is located in the hell's kitchen area of Midtown West. This is an older part of the town. The hotel is very close to Times Square and other prime locations (Broadway, Empire State, Macy's). For the location I would give this hotel 5 stars. You can walk from the hotel to most of the major attractions in couple of minutes. The hotel room was nice; it had all amenities except a fridge and coffee maker. I guess you don't need a coffee maker since you get free cofee in the morning with your breakfast. The bathroom was huge!! I liked that a lot. The only thing I didn't like was the bed. Also, one of the windows near the fire escape didn't lock.

I would highly recommend this hotel for its location, however, if you have some time you can get a 4*/3* hotel in Midtown West and Midtown East for USD 120-140 from priceline. If you get a good deal on this hotel and are expected to spend most of your time out of your room then go for it. A caution the street leading to the hotel appears deserted at late night. If you want to stay in the "richer" part of midtown stay on the east side."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of August 2005

not quite what I expected

"Very SMALL room on the 4th floor with NO elevator, kind of a pain. However the room was clean and the staff was friendly. If all you want is a room with no frills this is the place for you. The tv had like 6 working channels, next time we will pay more for ammenities like room service, elevators and cable."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of August 2005

Need help? 414 hotel Provides Every Service

"Dear friends and interested parties,

I highly recommend without reservation staying at the 414 Hotel.

I had a large problem with my visa application that the professional staff at the 414 HOtel located at 414 West 46th street , NY, NY 10036 resolved for me.

They made numerous faxes on my behalf, phone calls, let me use their msn instant messenger and internet to get information from another country immediately to meet the application deadline.

Despite what seemed an insurmountable problem, everything was resolved due to the courteous , helpful, caring service of the management and staff of 414 Hotel.

The rooms are also very nice with all the amenities. There is a lovely patio, too. The location is ideal woth good good restaurants in the area, food store nearby, close to madison square Gardens (I walked from there to the hotel) .

If you stay at 414 Hotel, you have a friend in New York City, if something goes wrong, which is worth more that money can buy."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of July 2005

Excellent value

"Stayed for almost a week on a visit to NYC. Considering the ludicrous prices of Manhattan hotels, this is a real find .... on a quiet street (my room looked out onto the even quieter courtyard), smart, small, with good sized bathroom. Pleasant simple help-yourself breakfasts in the morning, free (one computer) internet in lobby, very easy to get everywhere - walking distance to theatres and restaurants, and close to 42nd and 50th street subway stops. A real haven to come back to at the end of the sight-seeing day. Discreet and helpful service. Only tiny fault was that the reading lights in the room were weak. But overall highly recommended."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of July 2005

A great little place in the Big Apple

"My wife and I stayed at the 414 Inn for a weekend in May 2005. We arrived a number of hours prior to check in and were told we could leave our luggage in the lobby while we explored the city for a few hours. Mike was a real pleasure to deal with at the front desk. He gave us maps of the area, explained the subway system, and told us of a number of great places to dine in the area. The location of the hotel is terrific. Plenty of restaurants and shops nearby and only a short walk to the center of Times Square and Broadway theaters. The rooms are nice sized for NYC. They are nothing very special, but they are clean, have comfortable beds, and are very quiet. One negative is the lack of an elevator. We were on the 3rd floor and it was a job to drag our luggage up and down the narrow stairway. The breakfast that is included in the price is a nice extra. Each morning there was a table set up near the lobby with croissants, mini bagels, muffins, cereal, juice, and coffee. For the location, price, and friendliness of the staff the 414 Inn is a great bargain. Don't expect anything luxurious though."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of July 2005

Hidden Gem in N.Y.C.

"Spent one night at the 414 during an overnight trip to N.Y.C. Room was immaculate -- "spotless" would not be an overstatement! Much more spacious than I expected. Lobby was being prepared for remodelling -- so it didn't offer a very good first impression, but I'm certain it will be better than adequate when remodelling is complete. Staff was friendly, accommodating and very patient with my multiple requests for directions. Excellent location! Only a couple-minute stroll to Times Square, Theater District and Restaurant Row. Fair priced for such a quality, mid-town hotel. Will definitely stay here again -- and would highly recommend it based on location (convenient!), price and cleanliness."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of July 2005

Great Place to Stay in NYC

Good

"We stayed at this small hotel in December 2004 for 3 nights, and we loved it. The location is perfect, because it is in a quiet nieghborhood but also one or two blocks from all the excitement of the theatre district and Times Square. The staff was very pleasant, and the people at the front desk are very friendly and helpful. I plan to stay there everytime I visit New York City. Highly recommended."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of June 2005

Plan to Come Back to 414!

"Great hotel and so very convenient to Times Square, Restaurant Row, Broadway Plays, and the subway. Room was spacious and comfortable. Staff was very helpful in getting me to the "hot spots" of Manhattan. I just hope this "Big Apple Jewel" keeps a low profile so that rooms are available for my next trip up north!!"

• Travel date: Sat 25th of June 2005

What's not to love?

"I stayed here for one week in May 2005. There was nothing about the 414 that didn't please me. The location is great - close to theatres and Restaurant Row. (Walk to the Market Cafe near 9th & 37th - had a TERRIFIC meal there! Although, many talk about surly waitstaff - we had no problems.) The room was clean and stylishly modern overlooking a garden courtyard - situated between two "front" and "back" buildings. My room was in the "back" building, was quiet and I had no trouble with noise at all - and I am a light sleeper! Each morning there was a very nice breakfast available - cereal, juice, fresh pastries - a great start to the day! The staff were really great and it felt like a home away from home. Mike is REALLY terrific! He was helpful in every respect and gave me some great restaurant recommendations! I have NEVER been happier with accomodations before - I'll certainly be back!"

• Travel date: Thu 16th of June 2005

This hotel is a little gem. It's a conve...

"This hotel is a little gem. It's a converted townhouse with about 16 rooms, just across from 'Restaurant Row'. You're only 5 minutes from Broadway, and 10/15 mins from Rockefeller Centre, Macy's, and the Empire State Building.

Central Park is approximately a 20 minute walk, although the buses and underground are quick and convenient.

The hotel is small, but everyone friendly and helpful - any problems at all and they were happy to oblige.

The rooms are good sized, clean and comfortable (very comfortable beds for the weary traveller) and there is complementary breakfast in a morning as well as free internet use for guests in the lobby.

This hotel is a welcome change from the big impersonal hotels you see all too often these days, highly recommended - we loved it."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of December 2007

Hotels near 414 Hotel

Stayed at 414 Hotel? Share your insight.

414 Hotel is also called