Fabulous rooms

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"The first thing to say is that the rooms (suites) are fabulous, well equipped with great views, we stayed twice and the mountain views are
better but the Strip at night is also a great sight (building site during the day). Valet parking is quick, friendly, efficient and free
and checking in is a simple pleasure compared to the zoo at most of the hotels on the Strip (if you can find registration through the casino). Room service is to be commended both for the variety of choice, some interesting items rather than the standard burger and club sandwich, and the quality of the service (and of course it helps
that you have somewhere decent to eat it, either at the kitchen counter - black granite no less - or out on the balcony). Can't comment on the restaurant, tried to eat there but an attitude problem
with the staff caused us to walk out without ordering (and just in case somebody thinks it might be me it is only the second time in over 30 years of dining that I have done this and all four of us agreed to walk).

Elsewhere the staff were pleasant and helpful but we all got the feeling that the hotel was still in "shakedown" mode, not all systems
and services were functioning as they should but this was only a minor distraction and shouldn't prevent you enjoying this gem of a hotel"

• Travel date: Sun 29th of April 2007

Nice hotel, but there were definite problems!

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"This was our first stay in Vegas off the Strip and here are the facts: The Platinum Hotel Solitaire Suite we had was well appointed as reported by other travelers. We loved the size of all the rooms, and especially the fully equipped kitchen and the double jacuzzi tub!

We checked in at about midnight and were just about to doze off to sleep @ 1:00 AM (4:00 AM our home-town time) and we hear the ROAR of a vacuum outside in our hallway. Yes, it's true!
Needless to say, I opened the door, and chewed the guy out.
There is no excuse for this nonsense. I spoke to the manager in the morning and she apologized and said she had no idea why anyone would ever do that at such a time. She did deduct our evening room service of $35.00. I let it go at that.

Other than the above, our room was very quiet. We booked on Vegas.com and paid $790.00 out the door for 4 nights. We felt it was worth it. *We did like the "no smoking and no gaming" policy*.
Lobby is small and there is a lounge right next to it. Drinks are very expensive. No wonder everyone buys their liquor at the stores.

The next day, while getting ready to go out in the afternoon, I heard someone above us running the tub or shower, and about 2 minutes later, a LARGE amount of water gushed through the light fixture in the ceiling, about 3 feet from me. It continued to pour out - called front desk-they said engineering would come and I was quite firm that we wanted to be moved PRONTO to another room- front desk gal, Jessica, very cooperative and accomodating - beside upgrade to new room, gave us voucher for dinner or spa treatment. I also want to mention that, evidently, guests steal items out of the rooms. First room - missing knobs to lamps. Second room we stayed in - missing remote control in bedroom, kitchen scissors and knob to lamp in living room. Advised front desk of this at check out.

We chose dinner @ "The Restaurant" on the fifth floor to use the comp. Food was phenomenal!!!! Smaller portions, but top of the line ingredients, presentation and flavors.

Outside in the pool area, they were showing the new Bond movie on the hotel wall....so we went over after dinner we were given a warm blanket and we got cozy on a large, cushy chair for two! Had a few drinks and enjoyed!

We took the short walk to the monorail at Bally's to go to the different areas. Prepare to walk A LOT to get to the stations at the casinos. They are always way in the back of the hotels.

The location of the hotel is a little dicey, (homeless people hanging around the bus stops, etc.), but we did all our walking in daylight hours, and we never felt anxious in any way.

The walk from the hotel to the Strip is not bad at all (about 12 min.) Trip to airport is very short.

No cabs were available on Friday around 4:00-5:00 PM., so we ended up having to walk to meet our guests at the Spice Market Buffet in the new Planet Hollywood (good food).

We went to late breakfast each morning next door to the Tuscany Hotel and Casino (Marilyn's Cafe). Great food at great prices. Highly recommend it.

Some of these units at the Platinum are privately owned. Starting prices $440,000. I hope the owner of the unit we first stayed in is made aware of the bad water leak into his/her suite!!!!!

We most likely would stay at this hotel again, if the price does not go up much....otherwise we will look elsewhere! Hope this helps anyone thinking of staying."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of April 2007

Great place, great value...

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Just stayed there with my wife for our anniversery 4/20-4/22. What a great place considering everything else in Las Vegas! I had been planning this weekend months in advance and was getting fed up with the prices of the big name places on the strip. I wasn't sure about this place because of how new it is but what a wonderful experience. The attention to details was very nice (kitchen appliances, bose radio, headphones in for equipment gym, plasma tv, etc.) The huge bathroom with jacuzzi tub and shower were nice as well. The property is about a 10 minute walk from bally's/caesars palace. Considering all the high prices for rooms on the strip, this is a steal. We used our AAA discount for 10% off as well. Definately will stay here again."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of April 2007

Enjoyable New Property

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"We enjoyed most all aspects of our stay at the Platinum. The rooms were large, very plesantly decorated and well equiped. The pool and fitness center were excellent and unlike other Las Vegas hotels, not crowded. We had a fine lunch in the resturant, accompanied by good service. My wife used the spa twice and was very satisfied with the treatments and the skill of the staff. In general, the hotel staff was friendly and helpful in all areas. My only issue is the heating/AC system vents tend to blow directly on the sofa or bed depending on your location, with no possible adjustment to the vents. Fortunately, the nights were cool during our stay and we slept with the slider to our balcony open rather than use the system. In total, we liked being in this non-casino, smaller hotel. The strip was an easy walk and if we chose to drive, the valet service was very speedy. We will definately stay again assuming the hotel's pricing remains a good value."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of April 2007

Terrible Service. Not too bad a room

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"The Platinum was expensive - $250 a night - for what we got. I reserved a king size bed and they would not honor it being as I booked through Hotels.com. The front desk clerk told us the only way to get a king was to reserve it through their reservation system and then they had the nerve to tell me our room was not ready but we could get an upgrade for an extra $30 a night! On one day the house keeper did not clean our room, the bathtub stopper was mssing, and lights were broken. The room was pretty, clean, and the beds comfortable as was the hideaway sofa mattress. However the sofa was uncomfortable to sit on as was the wing chair. Room service was slow , the pool service almost nonexsistence, and the front desk clerk rude and unresponsive."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of April 2007

Great facilities, terrible service!

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"Chose this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews. Mostly agree. The decor and room itself is fantastically appointed/clean and described well in other reviews. Huge rooms. We also were told we were "upgraded" but I wonder if they tell everyone that?!
We had a 16th floor room with sunny views of the mountains. Stayed here 5 nights for a conference at the Paris, it's about a 10 min walk to the strip.

BUT and a big BUT...the service we had was terrible. Room service the first night (late flight, tired/hungry) took over 45 mins. The next morning breakfast, we waited 1 hr 15 min! Totally unacceptable. When the pancakes arrived there was no syrup or butter, just plain dry pancakes! We called and they said they had RUN OUT OF SYRUP and the COOK HAD RUN OUT TO GET MORE?!! Are you kidding?? After reporting to a manager, the charges were reversed, but this was shocking for such a fancy looking hotel!

Then, housekeeping...the first day was perfect and fabulous. But the second day, they made the bed and provided towels but did nothing else. No toiletries, coffee supplies, didn't clean the bathroom or the tub?! Then the 3rd day called for housekeeping to come when we were leaving. Attentive staff on the phone, said they would send someone right away! When we returned from dinner at 9 pm, NO HOUSEKEEPING had been performed at all! The management sent someone "right away" 30 min later, our room was getting cleaning at 10 pm??!

Management gave us $200 credit at the spa, which was a nice offer for the "inconvenience". So we can mention that the spa is very nice, and the treatments above average.

The condo room is huge and the full kitchen a terrific bonus. We even did a run of laundry. BUT it is too bad really that service is SO poor, it is shocking. What is surprising is that it wasn't just a one time incident, it happened too many times over our stay.

Unfortunately, we have to give a low rating on this hotel..for the service. We liked the facilities, so we would stay again if we return to Vegas. But plan for 1 hr for room service, and totally unreliable housekeeping!"

Great deal

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"I stayed at this hotel during a recent conference in Las Vegas.

First of all, the non-smoking bit is FABULOUS. I'm a non-smoker and one of my least favorite things about Vegas hotels would be that the non-smoking rooms SMELL. These rooms were clean and smoke free - there's even a washer & dryer in the room to get out the smoky smell from the casinos (bring bounce - throw a shirt in the dryer - good as new!).

The rooms were clean and very nice. I slept great. The beds were extremely comfortable - everything I needed was right there. I especially recommend this hotel for families.

The restaurant is great too.

The spa was EMPTY - which is lovely. I didn't partake in the spa this time - I will next time.

There is an indoor/outdoor pool on the 5th floor - just lovely.

The negatives:

- Getting a cab is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE BUTT. You will have to be patient - it could take up to 20 mins to get a cab. Having said that... waiting in cab lines on the strip can take that long too. You just have to plan accordingly.

- If you prefer a casino onsite - you are out of luck here. I actually prefer to be away from the casino - so it worked great for me.

- The service has major kinks still. They are doing a great deal of training of staff - so I'm hoping this will get better.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel - especially for families. The kitchens rock - full fridge in the room - great fireplace and large flat screen televisions. Just a wonderful experience."

Great Condo-style Hotel

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"As everyone is saying this is a great new find in Vegas. I just stayed there five days. I was upgraded without asking to the larger of the 2 suite sizes. When I opened the door to my "room" I actually laughed it was so large. It had a laundry, full kitchen, massive bathroom, nice living area with plasma over the fireplace, large bedroom with additional tv etc...I've stayed in Vegas on business annually going on 20 years (yikes) and this is one of the nicest choices I've tried. That being said let me clarify a few things since these reviews are meant to help you find the right place to stay for you.
1. The hotel is 2 long blocks off the strip on the East side (away from the freeway). It is maybe a 10 minute walk to the heart of the strip.
2. There is no on-site gambling (for me a big plus). The closest casino is almost across the street at the Westin, also around the corner at Ellis Island brew pub/casino.
3. It's a 5 minute walk to a monorail stop. There is no self-park. The valets are very fast and personable. I rent a car in Vegas because it is dirt cheap and parking everywhere is free and cabs are expensive.
4. The hotel would more acurately be described as a "Condo-Hotel" as the suites are more like condo's then luxury suites (like at the Venetian for example). They also sell condos to private owners so there is a mixed clientele of owners and renters.
5. The public spaces are small and the "grounds" are non-existant. Since there is no casino there are no sprawling interior spaces (and no smoke!) and there is absolutely no ground floor outdoor area. The pool area (on the 5th floor) is nice, with a view of the strip and an indoor/outdoor pool with a glass partition. It is however small and well-attended while I was there. More than 20 people in that area and you'd start to feel crowded. The workout room is excellent with a full complement of gym-quality machines and weights.
6. All personnel were without exception very helpful and personable except, one little problem: the maid service was erratic (they'd clean the kitchen everyday and then forget other details like the shower etc.)
7. The "build quality" of the place in terms of fixtures, furniture etc. was more on the level of a nice condo than a luxury suite.

So to wrap up this longwindedness: If you want a really great semi-lux condo at hotel room prices this is your place. If you are looking for more of a straight-up luxury hotel suite you'll probably want a more traditional Strip property (I liked the Venetian) or a place like the JW Marriott (out in Summerlin 30 mins away from the strip and very nice). Also if you are into a destination resort with a pool scene and/or casino you might like a Mandalay Bay or Hard Rock. I think every single one of those places I mentioned costs more than the Platinum however.
TIP: The cheapest place I found for booking this property was actually the Preferred Hotels website - not the Platinum website itself or any of the discounters (it's part of the Preferred chain)."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of April 2007

Hotel great; No one answers the phone!!!

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"I agree with everyone's postings about the property being great, and close. Both true. But I called three different times downstairs to the front desk, and it rang for at least five minutes and no one answered. I then called the concierge....same story. Hotel operator? Same story. NO ONE. What if I was having a heart attack or someone was breaking in my room?!?

Then in a few hours, the same thing.

Even when I checked in, I stood in front of the front desk for at least 5 minutes, and no one was there. FIVE minutes! To check in. What kind of hotel operates like that?

I consider this to be a serious issue with service, so I can't rank it as well as others did. Other than that, it was a nice place, brand-new, etc.

Oh, and cabs....VERY hard to get one if you're in a hurry since they're not on the Strip."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of April 2007