Exterior

Good

Couldn't have chosen better.

Reviewed 18th November 2011

"Just returned to UK after spending two weeks at the hotel. Thought it was excellent value for money - very clean and hotel staff very courteous and obliging. free breakfast and 24/7 beverages saved us quite a lot of money. the ideal place to return from the strip or a days outing to simply relax in quiet surroundings (something I imagine it would be difficult to do in one of the strip's casino hotels). Beds extremely comfortable, I generally suffer from lower back pain on waking but this disappeared during our stay there. Wish I knew what mattresses the hotel uses - I'd go straight out and buy one! My only complaint, and it's really only a niggle, is that on two or three occasions breakfast was a bit hectic with a large number of guests trying to access the breakfast buffet and find seating. Having said that, there was a notice displayed which informed guests that an alternative breakfast seating area was available in one of the meeting rooms. However the notice was not in a prominent enough position to be taken advantage of. I would definitely stay there again. "

• Travel date: 17th November 2011

did us right

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"The airline put us up here after cancelling our flight. Both shuttle drivers were extremely courteous and friendly, and so were the bartenders. Check-in smooth, even tho we asked for a smoking room and got a nonsmoking, they had us switched literally within a couple of minutes. Roomy room, a little worn, but clean and adequate. Good drinks. Not much happening in the immediate neighborhood."

• Travel date: 19th August 2005

Worst Hotel ever!

Reviewed 12th October 2012

"I am a frequent traveler, having stayed in hundreds of hotels over the years. This was one of the worst experiences I have had with a hotel. Read on. Check in: Water running from ceiling into a bucket in the lobby area for two days. Elevators both stopped working first day. Got one running, second one out for a day and a half. Entered lobby men's room immediately after cleaning lady finished. Paper towels and toilet paper all over the floor. Got dirty look from cleaning lady when I complained to desk. Meeting room air cond. couldn't keep our group cool. Moved to other meeting center room. Fire alarm went off on third day. Kept ringing for two hours 9-10 o'clock at night before reset. Fire Doors closed off halls and elevators. No fire. Discovered on last night my bedroom ceiling was wet and there was mold growing in the corner of the ceiling that I lived with for five days! Heard one other guest complaining about this problem. The Hotel does have a 100% satisfaction garantee and credited me with one night free (that's 100%??) Breakfast OK. Maid Service OK. Shuttle service to LV Strip good. Overall the hotel suffers from very bad maintenance or poor building construction. Either makes for a bad stay. Definitely NOT going back."

• Travel date: 28th July 2005

Roaches, dirty carpet, nasty mattresses, worn linen, unapologetic staff – BAD!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"I stayed at the Hampton Inn Summerlin the last time I was in Vegas (Dec 2003) and was pleased enough with the hotel to book my reservation at Hampton Inn Tropicana on my next trip. Unfortunately, the Hampton Inn Tropicana (right off the Strip) is nothing like its sister hotel. Though I only stayed there a few hours, this was the worst hotel stay I've ever had. The first thing I noticed when I walked in the hotel was that the lobby was nice- much better than the HI Summerlin. But this was the only positive impression that I had of HI Tropicana. The first thing I noticed when I walked in my room was the filthy carpet full of cigarette holes (I was in a non-smoking room). I immediately thought that the room was overpriced ($123.50 per night), but it was Memorial Day weekend after all. Anyway, when I pulled back the bedspread to take a nap, I was appalled at what I found. The linens were old and had holes in them, and the mattress and box spring were the thinnest and flattest I'd ever seen. The fabric on the box spring was obviously dirty. The bed was something I would expect to see in some no-name, low-class, low-cost motel – not a Hilton chain. About 30 minutes later, I saw a roach crawling on my luggage. I went down to the front desk to complain and ask for another room, but was told that there weren’t any other rooms and that no one was available to clean the room or even spray some bug killer. I didn’t even receive an apology from the staff, but was told that roaches are common place in Las Vegas heat and that it was not surprising that they were in the guest rooms. The manager said that out-of-towners just don’t understand that roaches are normal and expected. I was dumbfounded. I returned back to my room, but was unable to relax due to the creepy feeling that bugs were everywhere. A bit later, I saw another roach right on the bedside table. I had enough. I killed the roach and put it in a plastic cup to take down to the front desk. I shook out all of my belongings to make sure that no roaches were hitching a ride with me- and went down to check out. I gave the manager the cup with the dead roach inside and he sarcastically said that he would add it to the collection of other bugs. I was still not offered an apology. I asked for his business card so that I could make a formal complaint. He said that I should have no reason to complain, because he was not going to charge me for the stay. He failed to realize that money was not the only point – it was unsanitary manner it which the hotel was being kept and the lack of customer service. The presence of roaches is a health hazard that businesses are mandated by law to prevent, not expect. After some pressing, he finally gave me a general card for the hotel and wrote his name on it. I asked for proof that I was not being charged, and was told that there wasn’t anything really to show it. I pushed further and was given a blank folio sheet. Yesterday, I looked at my credit card statement and saw that I was still charged $134.62 for the stay."

• Travel date: 24th June 2005

Good enough to get by (good price/nice shuttle)

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Should you listen to me? I'm someone who usually stays in a modest hotel - Hampton, Fairfield, Holiday Inn. Will do a Ramada or Hilton on occasion. A Lodge or resort/spa is a treat for me. Mostly I want a CLEAN ROOM and I prefer a new hotel or a recently renovated one. The Good: Good location. While on the "wrong" side of I-15 it was a short walk to the strip (if that's your thing). The lobby was nice and the room did the trick. Got in late and only stayed until I caught the shuttle to the airport at 4:30am. The shuttle was really timely and the drivers were very nice and informative. The shuttle runs 24 hours. The OK: The staff seemed distracted as they were trying to answer the phone / talk to people out of view in the back / and tend to people at the counter. Otherwise they were fine - seen better / seen much worse. No view from our room facing the backside but that's OK. While the walk was relatively short to the strip it was littered with broken bottles, trash, and didn't seem that safe really. Of course, this is not the hotels fault. If women or children are in your party I'd take the shuttle to the strip. The not-so-good: The room could have used a much better cleaning. I don't ask for much but I need that. It passed initial inspection but looking closer, especially in the bathroom, it could have been cleaner. I'd stay again but I hope they did a good cleaning on the place (assuming all rooms were like mine). Good value and I like Hampton Inns - this one just could have been scrubbed a bit better for my tastes."

• Travel date: 31st May 2005

Not too shabby

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"I was overall happy with our experience at Hampton. The location was about a 10 minute walk to New York New York. We spent a lot of our time there. (mainly for the restaurants and shows) We also rented a car. Renting a car has its good and bad points. It is not easy at times to get out of the parking lot. Traffic sometimes makes things difficult. But walking is stressful (crossing a freeway) and taxi rides can add up. The rooms were your average nice(er) hotel room. Nothing amazing but no complaints. The comp breakfast was a nice bonus. Again, nothing extraordinary but I will take free food anytime and like it! Helpful staff as well. They helped with all of our needs. Next time we go to Vegas, we will probably not stay there again. We would rather pay the extra bucks to be in the middle of the strip. but if you love the quiet and dont mind the hassle of getting to and from the strip, stay here. You wont be disappointed."

• Travel date: 23rd May 2005

Did Not Meet Our Expectations

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"The front desk staff was great and so was the location. The lobby and grounds were well maintained and I enjoyed the free high-speed internet access. We recently stayed at the Hampton Inn in Sacramento which was surprisingly wonderful and were expecting this one to be close to it... we were wrong! This property was "spent" in desperate need of a guestroom remodel! The bed mattress were "tired", sheets looked like they were not changed from the prior guest. Inadequate lighting and no fridge, and carpet needed to be replaced... definitely not what we experienced in Sacramento! My associates felt the same, fortunately the hotel staff was kind enough to check us out without penalty and we moved to the Westin... much better! Hilton should temporarily remove their name, the owners should invest and remodel otherwise sell it off to more able hands... sorry."

• Travel date: 7th May 2005

So close yet so far away

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"Surprisingly pleasant stay close enough to the Strip and all it has to offer, yet far enough away to accomodate any desire for quiet/solitude. Free(included in your fees I'm sure)shuttle from the airport...very helpful. Adequate free continental breakfast from 6 to 10 am (eggs, meat, fruit, pastries, cereals, juice, milk, coffee, etc.). Very basic fitness room(2 treadmills, 1 stairmaster, 1 exercise bike, 1 pulley weight setup). More family/business traveller oriented, so very little chance of screaming drunks to contend with. My girlfriend and I stayed here while she was attending a convention at another hotel. Served well for our purposes...I lounged while she worked. Cabs arrive pretty quickly. Usually no more than $10 to get from the Strip. Easy enough of a walk if you can handle it(15 minutes). Definitely not the most glamorous of hotels, but we knew that and were more than satisfied. Would repeat. I suppose our only complaint would be the ever present cigarette odor that permeates all of Las Vegas. Do they pump cigarette smoke out through the sewer grates there too? EVERYWHERE!!"

• Travel date: 2nd May 2005

Okay stay at Tropicana

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"It was our first time in Vegas. I have stayed at hotel's of many price ranges. This hotel was just okay. The casino and pool both were very nice. For us doing a quick trip and not wanting to spend a lot of money on a hotel for this trip it wasn't bad. The garden rooms need remodeled very badly. If not they need to make it cheaper to stay there! I hear the other rooms are better. The pool area was great. Although we ordered a drink and I really don't think there was alcohol in them. Since we paid for their to be alcohol in them it's disappointing. The rooms bothered me the most. They had a smell as well as the hallways, and they are major outdated and kinda yuck! Even though we didn't pay to be at a higher rated hotel we didn't pay to be at a one star hotel either!"

• Travel date: 2nd May 2005

Great Place To Stay

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"This is part 2 of my review. You can briskly walk to the excalibur casino or new york, new york in about 10 minutes. mgm is there also. Or, you can spend a few dollars and take a bus to the intersection of tropicana and las vegas blvd. ....GET A FREE TRANSFER WHEN YOU GET ON THE BUS....from there, you can take one of 2 buses to get to the strip hotels. one is an express, with only 5 stops from there to downtown vegas, or the regular bus which will take absolutely forever. on a holiday weekend, it took us almost 2 hours to get from downtown vegas (freemont st.) to the intersection of tropicana. the monorail is definately the way to go. zoom, and you're there! next time, we will stay on the middle of the strip, but the price was right, and we averaged $60/night including the NYE holiday! The shuttles do not drive on las vegas blvd. They use the back entrances of the casinos, and get you there VERY VERY FAST."

• Travel date: 4th March 2005

Nice location, nice hotel.

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"Within walking distance (for a semi-regular walker) of the Excalibur and it's neighbors, this is a great place to stay if you want to stay off the strip and in a non-casino hotel. The room was nice, and so was the front desk staff and the shuttle driver. I would stay here again."

• Travel date: 17th February 2005