Away From The Strip

Reviewed Thu 3rd of April 2014

"I have stayed here on my first two visits to Las Vegas, it is a non gaming resort, the rooms are condo style and very spacious and comfortable although a little dated. There is a breakfast service available, it is a light breakfast to start your day and is self service, it does get busy though and sometimes struggle to find somewhere to sit. It is located on Tropicana Ave and is a 5 or so minute walk to the Strip, it is a good place to stay if you don't want to be in a casino hotel but want to be near the action. They do charge a resort fee as most places do now in Vegas, and this is payable upon checking in."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of April 2014

Great value just off the strip

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"SUMMARY: (1-week stay from Mar. 3-10, 2007)
We stayed in Building 1 on the site, where all the rooms have been completely renovated. There are 4 buildings in all, some of which are currently undergoing renovations. We were 4 adults in total, and we stayed in a 1 bedroom suite fairly comfortably. Split between 4 people, the cost of the suite is quite a deal!

The renovations are recent, VERY nice, and the rooms are extremely clean. If you go to their website, all their pictures and everything they say is accurate: the kitchen has new appliances, nice beds, etc.

If you are a budget conscious traveller who still wants comfort and some little extras, this is the place for you. Especially since the renovations are recent, now would be the best time to stay there!

THE GOOD:
The suite also has a kitchen, living room, and dining area. If you have a car, you can buy groceries to save some money.

There is a free continental breakfast every morning. Fruits, juices, milk, muffins, pastries, donuts, bread, yogurt, and cereal were the norms. On Saturday, a hot breakfast of scrambled eggs and bacon was available.

Mon-Thur there's happy hour from 5-7pm where you can drink beer and wine to your heart's content. Snacks are also offered during this time.

It's less than 10 minutes to MGM on the strip.

THE NOT SO GREAT:
Housekeeping continued to stock our room with only 2 sets of everything. We'd tell them we were 4, but they'd never remember so we'd have to call for them to bring us extra sets all the time.

When we arrived, the room smelled lightly of smoke covered with air freshener. We realized the self-contained air system was blowing smokey air which must have accumulated from the previous smoking occupants. We wanted to change to a non-smoking room but we were told the only ones available were the older, unrenovated kind. So we decided to stay in our original room anyway, and slowly the air vent cleared itself out. Either that or we were getting used to the smokey odor.

The pool is not heated so unless you're there in the dead of summer, it can be quite cold.

The pull out sofa bed is smaller than a queen and not so comfortable.

THE BAD:
Nothing we can think of!

OVERALL:
We'd highly recommend staying there. Make sure you confirm that you are getting one of the newly renovated rooms though and you shouldn't be disappointed!"

• Travel date: Thu 15th of March 2007

Nice place for the price.

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Husband and I drove with another couple who are good friends of ours from Los Angeles and we stayed here. This is not a bad location, only one block from the strip. You can walk to the strip from here. Nice hotel, clean lobby the rooms were ok, beds were ok. However, for the price you are getting a good deal. If you just want somewhere to crash while in Vegas BUT still want the amenities of a nice hotel this is a good place. The pool area was nice and clean, the room we stayed in had a kitchen and a living room area with a sofa that folds out into a bed. We went to nearby grocery stores and kept food in the fridge. The daily breakfast is free and it's not your average "buffet breakfast". They have really good proportions of food including waffles, eggs, sausauge, bacon, juice, cereal the WORKS! It's quite and Mortons' steakhouse which is YUMMY, is no more than 4 min away."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of March 2007

Racially challenged - bait & switch from sunny Desert Rose to gloomy Hawthorne

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"Racially challenged - bait & switch from sunny Desert Rose to gloomy Hawthorne Suites.

Wanting to save some dough on our 2nd trip in less than a month to LV for a special occassion, I chose to forego the Westin for less expensive lodging. My husband & I reserved a suite at the Desert Rose Resort via internet & confirmed via ph.

When we arrived we were cheerily greeted and given a map to our room. Following the map, we trekked thru the parking lot, down a dark hall, to the elevator up to the next darkened floor to our room. When we opened the door we were overwhelmed by air freshener -- not a good sign. Next assault on the senses was the abject lack of light. The forest green room's windows faced an adjacent bldg. approx. 30 ft. away, causing light to bearly break the shadows of the room. As for decor - it was haggared, dirty and uninviting. I attempted to call the front desk to complain, but the filthy phone wouldn't work!

When we returned with our luggage to the reservations desk. we were told that there were 2 properties -- and we had reservations at Hawthorne, put they would happily upgade us to the Desert Rose for an add'l $40/nite. When I showed my printout confirmation to the Desert Rose we were eventually given a room in the "new" property w/out paying any add'l fee.

Our room at the Desert Rose was very pleasant, nicely decorated
and inviting. Given how a terrible experience was turned around, would we stay there again? Not on your life! It's back to the Westin -- the extra bucks are well worth the wonderful customer service and welcoming ambiance."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of February 2007

We were pleasantly surprised!

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"We were just a little apprehensive about this place but were pleasantly surprised. Our group comprised of 3 adults and 2 children (6 and 9) and it was difficult finding reasonably priced suitable accommodation in Las Vegas. We had a 2 bed 2 bath suite which was a little tired (isn't every hotel in Vegas) but clean, quiet and comfortable. And that full buffet breakfast included in the tariff was really appreciated. The location is within walking distance of the strip. Hawthorn Suites are constructing 75 new rooms right across the road so that will mean fresh new accommodation for those who prefer a better standard."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of January 2007

Terrific Anniversary

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We were concerned after reading reviews that were mixed at best. All I can say is that all of our fears were put to rest from the minute we arrived. The staff was friendly and very helpful with every request. We did have a renovated room and we were quite pleased. The housekeepers were attentive and thorough.

The location worked well for us both for walking and getting out with our rental car. Breakfast was well laid out and the kitchen staff was quick to clean up.

They made our anniversary a memorable one with all of the attention that we were given."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of December 2006

The perfect place for the indescriminate and hard-of-hearing

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"My husband and I are currently staying at the Desert Rose Resort in Las Vegas. It is located behind Hooters Hotel & Casino - directly behind their pool area. That means we have had to listen to whatever is happening at Hooters each evening. Last night they had a party with a live band - a band that played really lousy 80s music in sets until about 1am. It was extremely loud - so loud that earplugs did nothing. You could turn the TV on full blast and still hear the music over the television noise. Pretty miserable when you have to get up and walk a convention the next morning.

The staff here could not have cared less. When I mentioned it, nicely, the next morning, the three front desk clerks couldn't muster even the smallest apology or kind word to assuage the problem. If you are looking for a hotel with a staff that cares about your comfort, keep looking.

This hotel is seedy in many of its areas. We didn't realize until yesterday that they had nice rooms - our room has stained carpets, a cramped bathroom with no ventilation, and all the ambiance of a run-down motel. Our friends, on the other hand, have a lovely set of rooms with all the trimmings. When I called the front desk, they now offered to give us nice rooms - except that now it would cost us an extra $70 a night, rather than the original upgrade price. We did not know, even though we had stayed here last year - that the rooms on the other side were so much nicer. I think they take people they don't care about and stick them out here in Siberia. Last year it was acceptable enough because at least the rooms were quiet. I'm really upset with the crappy way we were treated this year and we won't be back."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of November 2006

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"We were worried about some other reviews. Especially since our stay was free after attending a timeshare presentation we received 2 nights free at this hotel. You never know what you're going to get when it's free.

The location was SO convenient. Literally this hotel is behind the new Hooters Casino and next to the Tropicana. We walked from the hotel to the strip. Parking here is free and when we were here (Wednesday & Thursday nights) there was plenty of it and near the room.

We had a one bedroom suite w/pullout couch. Decorated tastefully w/granite counters in kitchen & bathrooms. Nice & clean kitchen w/all the necessities incl. full size fridge, oven & dishwasher. King size bed was comfortable and contained six fluffy pillows! A/C seemed to run constantly but was more like white noise to drown out helicopters & planes we saw flying over from outside but did not hear inside. (Location is close to airport)

We had free breakfast each morning which was okay - not great - but nice to have lots of choices for either hot food buffet or cold cereal, fruit, yogurt and beverages. There is definately something for everyone and the price was right at free!

Construction at the southern part of hotel did not interupt anything for us. We did not use pool or jacuzzi but the area was nice. Grounds nice & clean. Staff friendly and accomodating. Checkout a breeze for us too."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of October 2006

Well Done!

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"A bit of a walk from the strip, but everything else was better than acceptable. The two-bedroom suite was clean and tended to daily. The buffet breakfast was hearty, except not enough tables during the busy time (8-9AM). We just brought our plates back to the suite. The beds were very comfortable and everything in good working order. The concierge and the entire staff were friendly and completely accommodating in every request we made. The excercise facility was small and the universal weight machine broken, but the concierge provided free passes to the new facility at the Hooters Hotel next door. I was here for a full week (half business and half pleasure) and found the stay most enjoyable. Hey, and complimentary beer, wine, and soda in the lobby area from 5-7PM from Mon-Thurs."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of October 2006

Nice Place

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We stayed here for one night prior to and one night following our trip to the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park and it was excellent value for money. We chose Desert Rose because we prefer something smaller than the hotels on the strip. It was just off the strip, quiet and peaceful, but within a short walking distance. The suites were clean and spacious and the complimentary breakfast was good. I am a coffee, cereal and toast person myself, but you could also have fruit juices, blueberry pancakes, scambled eggs, fried potatoes, something that looked like burgers, doughnuts, yogurts, and fresh fruit."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of October 2006

Desert Rose not what I expected!

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"The Desert Rose Hawthorne Suites in Las Vegas is in the process of being converted into a Shell Vacations Resort. I was supposed to be staying at this place as a benefit of my Shell Vacations timeshare. My confirmation literature was very misleading. This property was described as a 'first-class hotel.' It's not. It is in bad shape for a resort or first class hotel. The halls are dirty and the way to the pool and lobby is pretty creepy. The information stated they were 'pet friendly' and 'pets allowed.' So I brought my sweet, declawed, litter box trained cat with me. Big mistake. After traveling 6+ hours I was faced with being told this was not the case! I had my material with me and the manager tried to divide the property into two despite what had been provided to me black on white! So instead of being in the Shell Vacations Resort I was in the Desert Rose Hwathorne Suites. Actually, it is all one property. Just some have been renovated. Hopefully, they are a whole lot better than what I had!! It was a suite with a full kitchen and living / dining area. But no decorating style at all. Kitchen all in beigh. The coffee pot was weird with most of the coffee going on the counter, instead in the pot. The hair dryer did not work. I was able to take a bath once, but the second time could not get the tub stopper to work. Bedroom and bathroom very tight. More than one person would be difficult. Very noisy AC unit. On the positive side - very close to the strip with New York New York lights visible from unit. Pool and hot tubs were nice and there was a fitness center with new equipment. A breakfast buffet was included from 6:00 am to 9:00 am. Food acceptable. Might try again once it really is a Shell Vacation property, but for now it is mostly a construction zone with lots of improvements being needed."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of October 2006