The Pool at the Monumental Hotel Orlando

Good

My husband, 11 year old son, and myself ...

Reviewed 21st August 2007

"My husband, 11 year old son, and myself stayed at the Crowne Plaza Resort Hotel July/August 07. We had a superb room with excellent air con, we never found the room to be either too hot or cold - just perfect. Everything worked, really appreciated the fridge and coffeemaker. Always plentiful supplies of bottled water, coffee, tea, etc. The room was spotless as was the bathroom. The fixtures and fittings were gleaming white. The bathroom had no window, but was very bright with more than adequate lighting, plus a night-light. We had a fresh supply of soft white towels and facecloths every day, plus white towels to use by the pool. I'd read in previous reviews about the comfortable beds, but wow - when you try them - they are just something else - haven't slept as well as that since I've come home! The room was spacious with a nice view, a seating area, desk, and TV in a cabinet. Lighting was soft and relaxing, clock/radio, easy to use safe, etc all to make your stay comfortable. We found it very quiet and the blackout curtains allowed us to wake when we wanted - not that you want to sleep in, there is so much to see and do. Along the corridor was an area for vending - drinks, crisps, chocolate, etc. and an ice machine. There was also a laundry room which was so cheap and very handy. Overall we would highly recommend the hotel and after a long day/evening in the parks, it was lovely to come back to and relax. The food was slightly more expensive than in local restaurants, but that's to be expected. When we did use the restaurant, it was excellent. However, there are so many places to eat, you just have to go and try them all! The holiday was the best ever and we can't wait to go back. There are still places we haven't seen. The parks are wonderful and so clean - you're really made to feel, as a guest should. Most of the food outlets on the parks are very reasonable, clean and serve very good food. We couldn't fault the holiday at all and can't wait to return."

• Travel date: 21st August 2007

Great Stay

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"We stayed here for two nights. The resort and room was spotless. I have uploaded pictures of the new pool area. They have the new Zero entry pool. I was concerned after seeing several postings concerning construction...but it is finished and is beautiful. They even have covered areas that you can lay under if you don't want to be in the sun. The pool heaters were not operational at the time we were there. Very quiet area."

• Travel date: 28th October 2006

Awesome Hotel and THE POOL IS OPEN

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"We booked this hotel based on the price, pictures and location to Epcot. I didn't read the reviews until the night before we drove to Orlando. I am so glad that I gave it a chance, it was extremely nice and yes the new pool is now open August 11th. Sweet room and very very clean. We were very surprised based on the price that this hotel was pretty empty and very quiet. They have a nice piece of property and no other hotels are cramped close (lots of green space and small lake on the west side). This is definately a more adult hotel and we loved that (left the kids home for this weekend) definately. Bathroom was clean and looked new. The bed was comfortable and all white (nice). We looked very hard for those bugs that one of the other reviewers said they found and low and behold we found them, OUTSIDE (ha, ha). I just didn't understand that comment. The only negative for this hotel was the $8 per day resort fee. This fee must be paid (no option). It includes two small bottles of water and coffee and use of the facilities. This is definately a disappointment for us. We brought our water so guess what that was pretty expensive water, but I would definately return again and again. RECOMMEND THIS ONE>>..."

• Travel date: 12th August 2006

Terrific Orlando Hotel!

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"I'm a travel agent and stayed at the Crowne Plaza Resort and I can tell you that it is a terrific property. I was not given any upgrades -- I stayed in as basic a room as everyone else -- and I thought it was one of the best values for the price I've had in a hotel. I've seen pricing as low as $99 for this hotel and it feels a great deal more luxurious than that, even akin to a Four Seasons. Hallways have a tropical feeling and are very clean. The rooms also have a tropical feel, pastel colors, also exceedingly clean. When I was first checking out this place on TripAdvisor and elsewhere on the net, I saw some photos of the rooms where the bedspreads were these ugly green things with palm trees, and I saw some with what looked like plush white comforters. In my room, and from the look of the others I passed by in the hall that were being cleaned, all appeared to have the white ones. That added a lot to the feel of the room. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if it were still those outdated ones. As it says in other reviews, bed comfort is indeed wonderful. And Crowne Plaza now has some kind of "better sleep" program where they give you a little packet with an eye mask, sleep enhancement CD and other stuff. I played the CD on the player they provide in the room and it was great. But, more importantly, since I am very sensitive to light in the morning, I was appreciative of the heavy curtains and the little clip they provide to make sure the curtains completely block out the light in the morning. I haven't seen any other hotel do this and I thought it was great. At least one or more others who have reviewed this said that parking is too far. I don't know what they're talking about. I was able to park in the front of the property and it was steps away. The parking at the back of the property is the same way. If you want a long hike from parking, try the Omni -- gorgeous resort -- but definitely a hike, especially in the heat. Also, someone said something about there being a problem that this is half timeshare and half regular hotel. Well, the main building, the first one you see when you drive in, which looks like something in Key West, IS the main hotel building. The timeshares are off the right and a little farther off from the main entrance. So I personally didn't see what that other reviewer's problem was. If there is one problem with the hotel it's that the pool area is in the middle of construction and that affects the back entranceway, and not a pretty sight if you have a pool-view room! Also, you have to use the pool at the timeshare (ok, for that earlier reviewer, there's the one inconvenience -- but it is by no means THAT far away!). However, the front desk told me that the pool will be done by the end of August (?) and that there is also a restaurant going into the main hotel. Mind you, I slept, got up, and didn't come back until the night's end. I stayed at Crowne Plaza during a house hunting trip and found it to not only be comfortable, clean and quiet, but VERY convenient to everything in the city. As a matter of fact, I ended up getting housing only blocks away from this hotel. International Drive can be a busy street, but it has three wide lanes in each direction, so it is not a hassle at all, and at night is not busy at all. And -- for you Disney-going folks, this is also very convenient to the theme parks, both Disney and Sea World. I would have stayed here the night prior to my move-in -- but they don't allow pets."

• Travel date: 27th July 2006

Great hotel and pool area

Good
Reviewed 13th December 2012

"This is a great hotel do not believe the bad reviews by other travelers. I cannot picture this hotel as being bad. Our stay was great the hotel staff is very good and grants your requests with a smile. They are in the process of building a new pool and its looks like it will be wonderful. The hotel is set up as a time-share across the parking lot and you have to walk to the pool and restaurant areas. The pools are great there are 2 pools and hot tubs. The staff at the time-share front desk let me use the computer for free. The hotel wants to charge you $15/hour, a lot to print out your boarding pass or check stock market action/email. I was very pleased with the hotel despite the negative reviews. We did all of the Universal parks including sea world and wet and wild. The I trolley stops right outside of the hotel and goes to everything you need. There is a 7-11 with in walking distance if you desire. Great hotel I would stay again."

• Travel date: 24th June 2006

Lousy Internet Service

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"Upon arrival I connected my laptop to Internet through the wire connection in my room. The Internet connection worked but there were big problems accessing some of the pages. They sometimes worked and sometimes didn.t. My main problem was to connect through VPN to my company network. It just didn't work. I also tried the wire-less option in the lobby with the same result. This is very very unusual. I have connected in Airports, hotels and in my home for years without any problems I spoke to the front desk and they refered to the IT Manager that was supposed to show up after breakfast. When he hadn't arrived at 10.00 they called him and described the problem. They told him that I was 99% sure that the problem was on their side. The only answered I got was that I should contact my company since the problem was on my side. I went over to the "Sister Hotel" and tested the laptop with their wire-less connection. The VPN worked without any problem....... I find it very arrogant not to listen to the customer and not even trying to solve the problem. Next issue, the printer, It doesn't work in the hotel. I once again went over to the lobby in the "Sister hotel" (I'm not sure about their relationship but the breakfast is served in that hotel). I asked if they could help me to print out a page from my laptop. They refused even though the printer is standing just behind the "customer computer" and I offered to connect and disconnect the parallell cable myself. I told the front desk in my hotel about the situatiion but they didn't show any interest to help me. All in all this hotel was a disappointment even thought the rooms were nice. Most of all I missed a buffet breakfast."

• Travel date: 20th June 2006

Do Not Stay Here

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"I found this hotel on the Crowne website. It was extremely misrepresented. The picture they show is what used to be their hotel, but they sold to a timeshare unit. Like one reviewer stated.. everything you are using is "borrowed" (from the timeshare building). The pool is under construction so you have to go across two streets and behind the timeshare building to use the pool. Fitness center is also over there. You can not enter through the front entrance, it is all blocked off, you enter from the back which is also under construction so you have to walk through a bunch of gated off construction material. Not the beatiful lobby you see online, with staircase and fancy doors. (that now belongs to the timeshare). The internet did not work, even after they sent someone to fix it. To use theirs it is $10 an hour. They let me use theirs free of charge but I could not do business I needed to do in privacy. (and that was after I had to wait for a manager to confirm it was ok, who was NEVER onsite. wasted a lot of my time and patience. Both monitors faced where everyone could see. I could not get done what I needed to and had to walk someone thru it over the phone. A huge inconveninece). It was difficult to find a drink, most machines were broken all 3 days we stayed. (Had I not paid in advance I would have left). The toilet ran the whole first night we were there. They did fix by the next night. (there were a total of 8 cars in parking lot each night. Obviously travel agents are not booking this hotel because they know the shape it is in and would reflect on their services. I booked directly thru Crowne website) Also, $8 charge per night they sneak in after for 2 bottles of water a night a for parking. Add that to your hotel along w/internet fees and you can upgrade to a nicer one that includes these. After 3 days here we left and went to Pacific Royal at Universal which was awesome. Completely different.. and what I call a "hotel"! Also, the two bed rooms are FULL size beds..not queen. Be careful. They have no rooms w/queen beds, so it is one king or two full. The only plus I will have to give it is is was very clean in the room. But a lot of other hotels are also clean so it is almost irrelevant. I would not stay here again."

• Travel date: 14th June 2006

Great Hotel!!!!

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"We stayed the weekend at the Crown Plaza right off International dr. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel! The rooms were VERY clean and the beds were VERY comfortable!!! Great Hotel(:"

• Travel date: 28th May 2006

In Heaven

Reviewed 20th October 2012

"I must say the Crowne Plaza Resort was an excellent place to stay. We stumbled upon it because no other hotels had openings and I am so happy that we had this opportunity. The room was beautiful and relaxing. The pool area was such an enjoyable family experience. I would definetly recommend staying here and hope to come back ourselves to relive the royal treat we experienced. Great Place!!!"

• Travel date: 21st March 2006

Clean and quiet but won't stay again

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"We wanted to be close to Sea World and we were--if you want to be away from the action of other Disney stuff this will work. It is a quiet area. I got a "deal" and had AAA but when we arrived I felt like the desk clerk was doing us a favor. There were also "resort charges" of $8.00 a day for water and coffee--we don't drink coffee and had our own water so I didn't like the hidden fees which I didn't know about until I arrived. You have to cancel two days ahead.(We paid 16.00 for four 16 oz bottles of water and some coffee packets) The hotel was clean and the grounds were pretty but it seemed to me we were using "borrowed" facilities for the pools and fitness center. Pools are across the parking lot and the fitness center is in another building. They were nice facilities but I don't think the hotel was completed yet--they should have told us that before we got there. I also had to pay almost $13.00 to get on line long enough to get our boarding passes. The power went out while we were there so we couldn't use the elevators for awhile. It was an easy drive to the air port and the staff gave us good directions."

• Travel date: 21st March 2006

Avoid this dump at all costs!!!! They can't even cool the rooms on a hot day!!

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"In good faith I gave this management 3 attempts to get my room cool. In 4 hours the room went from 98 to 90 degrees. There is a motion sensor that is apparenlty from the 1970s they can't disable. You stop moving, IE, watching TV, the room gets hot. Because I gave them time in good faith, they told me that I stayed for 4 hours and stole $70 from me. These people operate in bad faith with bad customer service. Do not stay at International Drive! The Universal Studios location is wonderful!!"

• Travel date: 12th February 2006