Homewood Suites by Hilton Orlando-Nearest to Univ Studios

5893 American Way, Orlando, FL 32819-8201

2nd holiday in orlando

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Stayed here in October 2004. It was perfect. Rooms excellent, clean, loads of room, 2 queen beds, lounge/kitchen. Have booked again for this october. Ideal location in a quiet area off of International drive. Breakfast was good though did not vary often. Only went to managers reception twice in the 2 weeks we were there but there was plenty to eat and drink. Staff were friendly and hotel was spotless. Shortage of safes. Definately of a higher standard than our first time at comfort suites which was ok but for a little more we got a lot"

• Travel date: Sun 27th of March 2005

Great Family Hotel

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"HIGHS: spaciousness of suites; free breakfast; free high-speed Internet in rooms; free shuttle to Universal parks and Sea World.
LOWS: immediate surrounding area (American Way off International Blvd.) not so great; noise from interstate; misleading "free" airport transportation; disappointing free evening reception; worthless pay T.V. Internet service.

I stayed here 4 nights with two teenage children in early March, 2005. The standard rooms, suites with a separate living room and bedroom, are roomy and comfortable. We had two very comfy queen beds (each iwth 3 pillows) and a sleeper sofa that we had to make up ourselves each night. There is also a kitchenette, with a full-size refrigerator, microwave and two-burner stove top, and dishes and pots and pans, etc. Once you stay in this type of all-suite hotel, you'll never be happy in a regular hotel room again. Everything was very clean and well maintained. As other reviewers have mentioned, the free shuttle to the parks is very limited. There were 2 morning departures to Universal and 3 afternoon/evening returns; and 1 departure and 1 return for Sea World. Read the hotel's web site carefully, and you will note that it says there is complimentary transportation FROM the airport - but not TO the airport. I didn't read carefully, and assumed there was a constant hotel shuttle back and forth, like at other hotels. Wrong. I guess I was supposed to reserve the transportation from the airport in advance. To get back to the airport, the hotel wil give you the shuttle service's phone number, you call and reserve your spots, and pay $18 per adult and $12 per child. Needless to say, we took a taxi (about $35 plus tip) each way. The one real downside to this hotel is that American Way, which is a side street that loops off of International Drive, has seen better days. To get to the I-Ride trolley, or any of the nearby businesses on International Drive, you must walk along American Way, which is primarily filled with overgrown vacant lots, closed-up restaurants, and economy motels. It is a little creepy at night, and not too scenic in daylight. Also, this hotel property backs up to Interstate 4, whose traffic noise was very noticeable in our room. If I ever stay here again, I will request a room on the other side of the hotel. There is free high speed Internet service in the rooms, but since we didn't bring our laptop, we tried the Internet service you can pay for ($10.95 for 24 hours), that comes through the TV. That was a waste of $10.95. There is no mouse and no cursor. Instead you use the arrows on the keyboard or remote to move a highlight box around, but the box only goes to certain parts of the page you're viewing and there is no way to "click on" other parts. For instance, I could retrieve my e-mail via webmail, and see that I had 66 items in my inbox, but there was no way to click on the individual messages to open them. Save your money and go downstairs to the business center and use the hotel's computer, if you can catch it while it's free. I used it at 6:30 a.m. one morning to print our boarding passes for our return flight. The complimentary breakfast was O.K. , but the variety and quality of the offerings did not measure up to the breakfasts at other Homewood Suites where I have stayed (Sioux Falls, SD and Jackson, MS). I suppose that is a result of the tourist nature of this hotel. Also, the one night we went to the evening reception, the food was just awful. It was an odd combination of meat ravioli that seemed to be straight from the can, some bland rice pilaf, and some chicken nuggets that were made of reconstituted chicken and smelled strangely like shrimp. But it WAS free and hot, which may be all you can expect in Orlando. All in all, this was nice hotel with great rooms and I would consider staying here again, but I would also look elsewhere to see if I could find something similar in a better location."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of March 2005

A perfect location

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"Just returned from Orlando and a two-night stay at the HWS-Universal February 16-18. This hotel is in an easy to locate location just off I-Drive with easy access to Interstate 4 (and all of the Disney parks).

We drove to Disney MGM from this location which took about 20 minutes. The second day we utilized the "hotel shuttle" to Universal CityWalk which picks up each morning and has three return trips throughout the day. We did see some people hiking to and from, but after a full day at the park, no way! Also, the Hilton Garden Inn next door sells theme park tickets.

As for the rooms, they are very spacious, comfortable and well decorated. Very bright and tropical feeling. We love the full kitchen with fridge. The rate includes a FULL breakfast buffet with waffles, eggs, sausage, breads, fruit, etc. Executive center has internet access, small exercise room. We would definitely recommend this hotel for business or leisure."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of February 2005

great hotel and a great deal

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"The rooms were nice and clean, the only downside was the one bedroom was a bit on the small side for 1 adult and 3 kids. the manager reception was great after a day at the parks, and the breakfast was a very nice touch also, very close to Univeral Studio and on I Drive."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of February 2005

Ideal location, Highly recommended

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"Stayed in the Homewood suites universal in October 2004 with my husband and 2 teenage boys (my son and his friend), We found the Homewood suites were in an ideal place to get around especially Universal studios and across from wet and wild and many other places of interest restaurants etc. The accommodation was very clean and comfortable fresh towels every day, (they even fill and switch on your dish washer). The little kitchenette was handy as it had a full sized fridge freezer which came in very handy, and they also have ice machines on every floor. The beds were comfy and the bed settee was ok for a 17 year old boy. The free breakfast was very good, and also the manager’s special which is on from Mon to Thur evening we only went twice cos we were busy elsewhere. The staff were very helpful and friendly, they let us leave our suitcases etc behind reception on our last day due to a late flight home which was handy. This was our 5th time in Orlando and it wont be our last, Hoping to be back again in Oct 2005 Again staying at the Homewood suites universal. Highly recommended."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of February 2005

Great location, great value!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"I stayed at this hotel in December 2004. Overall, I found the service to be decent, the rooms clean and spacious, and the other amenities fantastic!

I loved the free breakfast in the morning - I ate until I was stuffed and then took a piece of fruit or yogurt back to my room for later. The evening happy hour was a bit disappointing but I didn't make it back to that too often.

I went to Universal Studios and Disney, and was slightly disappointed in the lack of shuttle services. I wanted to go to the Magic Kingdom and was dropped off at Epcot. The limited times meant if you got to the hotel after 10 am you would have to take a cab. However, there was the I-Ride Trolley if you didn't have a car which took you pretty close to Universal and right to the outlet malls.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again - in fact I am going to Dallas in three days and am staying at Homewood again!"

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of February 2005

We would recommend this hotel to anyone

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"We picked this hotel on the strength of the tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, and the breakfast was quite adequate with enough choice. The complementary hot food and drinks from 5 to 7 was a good bonus when we were in the hotel at the time. While the shuttles to and from the parks were not often enough for us, it was only $7 maximum to get the 5 of us to or from the parks by taxi.
The hotel was just off International Drive so we spent a couple of evenings looking at the shops and restaurants there, as City Walk was bright and glitzy, but the entertainment was a little disappointing.
All in all the hotel was perfect for us, and I would not hesitate to return.
We paid $119 per night per suite, and there was around $12 per suite per night local taxes added on."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of January 2005

Perfect for the family, especially ones with a budget

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"This modest hotel is located near Universal. The shuttle bus might be a selling point to some but it only has 4 round trips each day. Parking is only $9 at Universal and for that amount, we didn't want to worry about missing the bus or waiting for the bus. We stayed in a one-room suite and that was just enough for a family with two teenage sons. One stayed in the "living room" on the pull out and the other stayed with us on one of the two-double beds. Both rooms have TVs. There is only one bathroom and that's a drawback. I would have preferred the two-bedroom suite but none were available. There is a kitchen as well. The elevator (one) was quite slow. That's it for the drawbacks. There is free-internet access in the rooms and a computer for guest use (with a printer) in the "business center." There is a decent game room and work-out room. The highlight is the breakfast. This wasn't your standard hotel continental breakfast ... it was a full meal and quite impressive. Monday to Thursday, they also have a modest dinner with beer and wine. If you are on a budget and/or want to save money for the parks, this is the place for you. You can have a big breakfast and then put a few muffins and donuts away and save them for snacks. Even if you are not on a budget, this is a nice place for a family."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of January 2005

Lots of extras

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"LOVED this hotel. The staff was wonderful and I would absolutely stay here again. I brought three children and we had plenty of room. The complimentary breakfast was CLUTCH....saved a ton of money on feeding them. Didn't make the "managers reception" (free dinner and wine Mon-Thurs!) but it looked lively. The pool was a bit boring....closed early (10pm) and they didn't have any backgroung music. The place would definitely be 100% if they added a tiki bar for us weary parents to enjoy while the kids are swimming! The "business center" and work out room were really great extras and almost make up for the lack of restaurant or lounge, and throw in free parking, great location, and a pristine room and you've got a heck of a great place! Would recommend to ANYBODY...business, pleasure. kids or not."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of November 2004

Hotels near Homewood Suites by Hilton Orlando-Nearest to Univ Studios

Stayed at Homewood Suites by Hilton Orlando-Nearest to Univ Studios? Share your insight.

Homewood Suites by Hilton Orlando-Nearest to Univ Studios is also called