DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown

Good

Terrible Experience (Bed Bugs - Beware)

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"My spouse and I decided to save a few bucks and stay at the Sonesta Hotel, downtown Orlando. We unfortunately did not have a pleasant experience.

The first room that they gave was toxic from cigarette smoke, despite their no smoking policy. The second room, was a corner room that was dated, the TV was old, and the air conditioned squeeled (yes, I said squeeled). We were awoke several times throughout the night by the guests next door, who had no problem letting their young kids stay up well past 1am.

To make matters worse, I woke up with two sets of two bed bug bites - four in total.

The experience was not worth the few bucks we saved on the hotel room."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of April 2010

Best for bowl games

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Rooms are comfortable and provide a good night's sleep. Upgraded rooms. The general areas, however, not so much.
There is a Starbucks downstairs in the lobby, which is a big plus.
The hotel is located near the stadium versus Disney and the theme parks (Downtown Orlando). Hence, the title, "best for bowl games". You'll notice all the guests that are staying for a game - you'll see them at the bar the night before wearing their favorite team's colors. There is a parking garage in which you can self-park. I noticed people pulling out coolers & food for the tailgaiting at the stadium."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of April 2010

A Great Location

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"I had a wonderful stay at this now Sonesta hotel. I am always thrilled to stay at Sonesta. Being from Miami and traveling a great deal to New Orleans and Boston, it is a name that I trust.

The hotel was extremely convenient to the business that I had planned in Orlando. The service and the staff were friendly and responsive. They explained that the hotel is going through some major upgrades too. I enjoyed my stay with really large rooms, but I'll be sure to be back again."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of March 2010

Worse night ever!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"My spouse and I stayed at Sonesta after attending a conference. The room is clean, but the tv was old and the remote control was broken. We were very tired, awake since 4am (traveled from west coast) and needless to say that needed to sleep. At 2am the next door guests arrived drunk (or high...or both) and were very loud, totally disrespecting the silent time. We called the security desk and after a couples attempts to stope them I guess they gave up. They offered us to move to another floor but please, it was (by then) 3am, we were exhausted, our belongings unpacked...so I suggested them to change the noise guests and they told me that they could not...
Very disappointing that we had to be punished for being the quiet guys...at 4am they finally split up and fell asleep.
The walls DO NOT block the noise and you can hear every single laughter, toilete flush and conversation in hallways. Horrible isolation.
IF YOU WANT TO REST DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of March 2010

A nice surprise and a good value

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"My wife and I drove over from our home in Sarasota for a Valentine's Day date night. Dinner, Phantom of the Opera, and a night in Orlando. The show was downtown so we Pricelined it and got a great deal at the Sonesta. While not new by any means, the staff was friendly, the room was clean and all in all, we completely enjoyed our brief stay. The only downside was the twelve bucks we had to pay for parking, but I guess that is the deal these days at most decent hotels."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of February 2010

Now Sonesta Hotel

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Stayed here the weekend the hotel was converting from a Sheraton to Sonesta, tripadvisor needs to change the name on here.

I had stayed at the hotel 2 years ago and had had a great stay with a nice corner room. This time, no corner room. Stay was fine, i really like the rooms here, with the brown leather couches and ottoman/coffee table things. Nice bathrooms too, although while the shower head had terrific water pressure it was only stuck in one position that wasn't particularly well suited for my body frame. They had changed out the Sheraton amenities for some Italian one, Peloggia or something? Seemed decent, but not particularly memorable. The rooms had coffee makers and flat screen TVs which were modern and nice.

All in all, its a good hotel, the only thing is, while it is in downtown Orlando, its at the very top end by Lake Ivanhoe, and probably too far a walk to walk down to Wall Street amd Church Street where most of the office buildings, restaurants, bars, etc.. are. We had a wedding at the Grand Bohemian, and it would have been nice to walk, instead drove, parked on the street by the Grand Bohemian, ran out of coins, and got a $22 parking ticket, which sucked.

Before the switched out of Sheraton, they added a Link (free computers/printers in the lobby), which I've noticed at other Sheratons and really enjoy.

The hotel has an attached garage, but save the money, there is plenty of on-street parking available, and unlike the area by the Bohemian, there are no meters to feed.

Did not eat at the restaurant, visit the pool, or avail ourselves of any of the other features of the hotel. Had minimal interaction with the staff, who seemed nice enough.

I like staying at Sheraton/Starwood properties and don't know the Sonesta brand, so now that the hotel has changed, I'll probably stay elseware next time I'm back to downtown Orlando."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of February 2010

GREAT VALUE! VERY NICE ACCOMODATIONS!

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"Had serious concerns, based on past reviews, but didn't have any problems while there. If anything the rooms are spacious, beautifully appointed, CLEAN, no hint of past reported problems.

Alarm clock rang when set, wake up call came at appointed time, food service in restaurant was very good, bed was extremely comfortable!

The service level at the hotel was off the charts great! Front desk was wonderful as well. The value of the hotel is unmatched in the area and I look forward to returning soon!

Starbucks in the lobby was a great plus as well! Wi fi worked flawlessly, elevators were quick and all worked."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of January 2010

had a good time-we would come back anytime

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"I recently travelled to Orlando with my collegues, we were tralleling from Germany and had the chance to stay in different hotels along the journey. I am reading all the comments about the hotel, but I have to say that I really liked it. when we checked in we found out that one girl at the reception speaks german which was great and made me feel more comfortable because my english is very basic school english. unfortunately I forgot her name but she was very helpful, she called the kennedy space center for informations, and she also helped us ith calling our airline because one of our suitcases was damaged. the hotel does need some update, but we had a great time, the staff was wonderful and that made the difference to me"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of January 2010

Avoid This Place at All Costs

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Unfortunately, the staff smiles, candor, and basic customer service do little to quell the abhorrent living conditions they claim they "maintain."

I am a domestic business traveler and I have been to my fair share of dodgy hotels / shady hideaways (years on road). The Sonesta Hotel Downtown Orlando fka Sheraton Orlando is a legitimate health concern. The lobby, bar, and other first floor establishments seem fairly innocuous to the lay traveler; however when you proceed to your floor (mine was 8th floor) you are in for a different surprise.

The minute I stepped off the elevator, the smell hit me. It was mold - tons of it - manifesting on the walls, carpeted floors, and on the wooden doors. I have no doubt that the spores were making my eyes water and skin itch! The ambiance of the lengthy hallway was ultra creepy - think of Mills & Summerset in the movie Se7en, where they arrive at Kevin Spacey's apartment. So...yeah.

Moving along, the actual room and amenities were outdated. Not to sound like a snob, but the couch was orange leather (an apparent ode to college days), the appliances were plugged in with yellow extension cords - nice, and the television had like 4 channels. Although one of the amenities did include a Ninetendo 64, which from my understanding was "hot" circa 1997, I decided to pass. As the night progressed and I settled-in, I latched my previously kicked-in door and did not bear witness to any further atrocities.

In the morning, I was happy to discover that my legs and torso bore no indication of bed bug bites, mite attacks, and/or scabies! Shocker. The receptionist called at 8:30 AM to ask if I wanted my complimentary breakfast. I respectfully declined, put on my sunglasses (incognito), and checked out quickly thereafter. Thankfully, I never unpacked my suitcase. It was a quick get-away.

In retrospect, I understand that my review comes off as somewhat scathing. However, I also understand that the mold and fungi situation on the premises (stachybotrys chartarum - wiki) is enough to make a strong man sick. So there you have it."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of January 2010

Just changed name Sheraton to Sonesta -- maintenance update overdue

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"The hotel staff was nice and courteous, many area's of hotel are nice such as lobby, workout room, restaurant, computer area. But maintenance overdue in several area's 14th floor club level has masking tape on hallway carpets, on same floor ice machine has large puddle of water on floor always, one elevator out of service and middle elevator shakes excessively when using it. Hotel just changed it's name from Sheraton to Sonesta today."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of January 2010