Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd

Exterior

Do Not Stay Here!

Reviewed 4th June 2018

"There is a daily parking fee and breakfast is not included. Shouldn’t come as a surprise, it says so on their website. That being said, this is a horrible hotel and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. DO NOT STAY HERE!!! Here is my experience checking in: I made a reservation for 3 king rooms and 2 double queen rooms 4 weeks in advance, had to call 4 different times to get my confirmation numbers, then the hotel staff changed my reservation the day we checked in. They did so without my permission or any advance notice. They turned 2 of my king rooms into queen studios so all the rooms would be on the same floor. I told them they shouldn’t have done that, then they accused me of being “tired” from my long drive implying I was being cranky. I told them I wanted the rooms I reserved and they told me I couldn’t because they only had 1 king available in the entire hotel. Then they told us that 2 rooms were ready, but we’d have to wait for an undisclosed amount of time before our other rooms were ready. This was at 3:50, check in is at 4:00. We stood in an empty lobby for 15-20 mins waiting. Then we went to our car to get our bags. There were no carts or people to help us. Then out of nowhere 2 birds flew out of a bush and started pecking us! The hotel staff thought it was funny and did nothing but stand back and laugh. I was pecked in the arm three times, I did not find it funny. We later saw a member of the hotel staff in the elevator coming down with a cart. He talked our ears off about baseball, then later turned to a member of my group and said “I wanted to ask him if he even knew what baseball is, but he’s a big guy, so I didn’t.” So this member of the hotel staff implied I was stupid but didn’t say it to my face because I’m “big” which could mean I’m husky or big boned, take your pick. Here is my experience dealing with the incessant noise: The hotel is next to a busy intersection. The window in my room didn’t keep any sound out. My first night I got a total of 3 hours of sleep. My entire stay I listened to the sound of construction equipment, car horns, sirens, and revving engines at all hours of the day and night. The door in conjoining rooms also keeps zero sound out. You will hear every word out of your neighbor’s mouth and from their TV. Also, on a side note, only some of the rooms have mini fridges and microwaves. It is not clear which rooms do and which rooms do not. In conclusion, we spent almost $2,500 to stay here for 4 nights and this is the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel. When I brought issues to the attention of the hotel staff they were dismissive and showed no interest in being courteous or helpful. Let me repeat: DO NOT STAY HERE!!!"

• Travel date: 1st May 2018

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Universal ...

Reviewed 13th August 2006

"We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Universal in May for 2 weeks. Accommodations and service were excellent rooms were spotless and spacious. The 2 Queen-size beds were extremely comfortable the best I have ever slept on. Pool was excellent, parking was free, The hotel was an ideal base to do all the parks and attractions. It is only minutes from International Drive, Wet 'n Wild, Universal / Islands of Adventure, and 10mins from the Disney parks. I Would definitely stay again I would give this hotel ten out of ten. "

• Travel date: 13th August 2006

This hotel was the best I have ever stay...

Reviewed 31st May 2005

"This hotel was the best I have ever stayed in, the rooms were very comfortable with the best bed I have ever slept in. It is close enough to International Drive to walk, but far enough away so you didn’t get the noise. I will never stay at another hotel in Orlando Again. Travel City Direct were by far the cheapest for our holiday, 2 adults and two kids. The only drawback for us was the Aeroplane it was quite old with no TVs in the back of the seats so it was a long eight hours with two kids!!!!!, but the food was great and the flight was good. For the money we saved it was well worth it. You do land in Sanford which is about 30 mins drive from Orlando, quite easy to get to Orlando if you are driving, TIP print a map before you leave from Sanford to your hotel in Orlando on the AAA Site as we found this to invaluable especially as we didn’t receive a map from travel city direct when we arrived!!!!"

• Travel date: 31st May 2005

A superb hotel

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"Have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Crowne Plaza organised through Virgin Holidays - tripadvisor helped me decide to stay here and I wasn't disappointed! We found the room to be very comfy, super clean and well equipped with a huge TV through which you can get several cable channels and pay movies. The beds were sooo comfy! We were on the 11th floor with a nice view over Orlando. Some rooms are arranged around an atrium which is very impressive with a comfy seating area at the bottom which we sat in with a coffee a few times after getting back from the parks. The pool is nice with a hot spa which was good to spend some time in on our "days off". Food at the hotel is expensive, but the quality is excellent. For breakfast, there are 2 buffets available (continental and full) and they are more pricey than what you would find elsewhere but very tasty nonetheless and ideal if you are going out early and don't want to walk to International Drive and back. For getting around, the hotel provides shuttles to all the main parks although as other users have said, the times are a bit restricting. International Drive is one block away (roughly 7 minutes if you cut through the back of the hotel car park) where you can pick up the main line I-Ride trolley. There is a green line I-Ride trolley that stops right outside the hotel, and provides connections to Wet n Wild and SeaWorld, although we found its reliability poor compared to the main line I-Ride. My only complaint about the hotel is that some of the staff aren't as friendly as they perhaps could be, but you can't go wrong with a stay here and we will definitely be returning the next time we travel to Orlando."

• Travel date: 26th January 2004

Good place to park the body at night, but defintely not resort standard.

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"Hotel was clean but facilities were lacking. Pool was uninviting due to the lack of landscaping. Walk to International Drive is at least 10 minutes for the nearest Fast Food Rest.Lobby lounge was uninviting. And the Bfast offeerd did not look appealing either. Hotel staff was unhelpful in getiing a yellow taxi and they insisted that we use the Hotel Limo. A good place to park the body for the night, but definitely not resort standard."

• Travel date: 21st January 2004

Fantastic New Year Holiday

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"We have just returned from a brilliant 2 week holiday organised through Travel City Direct. The hotel was superb, all the previous comments that people had made were all true. We stayed on the 11th floor and heard no noises at all. The rooms were spotless and we even had a sink and fridge, and the beds were extremely comfy. The drinks and the food were a little pricey in the hotel, although the take away pizza was good value. We enjoyed Perkins for breakfast and Sweet Tomatoes was unbelievable value for money for dinner. Thanks to tripadvisor and the comments other people made helped us to decide to go there, and boy are we glad we did."

• Travel date: 13th January 2004

Fantastic hotel..dont miss out!!!

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"I have recently returned from a wonderful holiday in Orlando ..booked I may add after reading reviews from Tripadviser.We were delighted with our large spotlessly clean comfortable room(the beds are sheer luxury) After youv'e been in Orlando a few days and you see some of the dark scruffy motels around ..you really realise what a great hotel the Crowne Plaza is.We have never been to Florida before and decided against having a car(my husband drives alot at home) I must say we had not realised how spead out things are in Florida ..the crowne Plaza offers a shuttle to the ALL parks which is great but the times are very restricting.Also walking in Orlando is abit hairy ..the roads are very wide ..the cars travel very fast and seem unused to people crossing them. So if you want to walk up International drive you need to get used to the trolley(the bus that travels up and down all day) very quickly ..buy the bus tickets in advance $3 per person for 3 days as its is 75c per trip you soon start saving money. Saying that Perkins Restaurant is a great and reasonable resaurant (turn right out of hotel and right again passed Fishbones)and is in an easily walkable distance (no big roads )It is cheaper than the hotel food ..we did have the buffet breakfast in the hotel and it was very nice but more expensive than other places.My only complaint about the hotel was that on a couple of nights there was constant door banging (it was Xmas tho)this was sorted out by security .but I should have rung them earlier as it was very annoying and tends to happen when a few families book rooms together and visit each others rooms alot..I can say the hotel very very concerned with my complaint and it is nice to be taken seriously.The pool is lovely and heated but is abit shaded in the morning ..this isnt really a problem to us hardy brits. We are looking forward to going again and wouldn't dream of going elsewhere I think its unbeatable value for the quality.Please dont hesitate to e.mail me if you have ANY questions about the holiday I am may be able to help with.."

• Travel date: 12th January 2004

best hotel in Orlando

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"Fantastic hotel!!! Close to Universal, Wet & Wild, Convention Center, and many restaurants. Try getting a room on a higher floor for a great view. It was really nice to have really glasses for drinks instead of plastic that most hotels give."

• Travel date: 11th January 2004

Great hotel!

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"This is the cleanest hotel that I've ever stayed in. It was spotless. Room was comfortable. It is within walking distance of International Drive. I had breakfast at Perkins Rest. A great meal for less than $10. I would definitely stay at this hotel again."

• Travel date: 4th January 2004

Loved It!

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"We just got back from Orlando today and our stay at the Crowne Plaza was delightful. Believe all those reviews from those Brits because I have seen them there and they all were having a "wee bit of a good time". The building design is very attractive and stunning. The location is excellent and I highly recommend using Universal Drive as your "backroad" to get to almost everywhere because Intl Drive is just a mess of traffic. They handled issues pretty well. I give the valet concierge high marks (in other reviews they speak of a tall one, I think that is Doug...he is very professional) but the tourism desk person doesn't even know he is in Orlando and didn't know what putt-putt golf was. The pool was nice, but needs more lounge chairs. One drawback here is the parking. Get rid of the valet lot or put it in the back. It belongs to the guests first. Would definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: 4th January 2004

Looking forward to staing there on 28th Feb 2004

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"We booked through Travelcity on the internet a few weeks back and have been trawling through various search engines to find a decent one with good reviews. And here we are! We were in Orlando three and a bit years back and stayed at the howard johnson plaza resort on kirkman road. That one seemed all we needed, but this one seems even better, and at the price, who could want more. Counting the days now ! Thanks to all the helpful people from UK with the comments. I hope to post another comment after we get back agreeing with all of them."

• Travel date: 31st December 2003

Lovely holiday base

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"I have just returned from a 9 night stay in this hotel with my husband and 8 year-old daughter and we found it to be lovely, modern and clean - and fantastic value for money. We have previously stayed at the Quality Inn and also at the Wyndham and found the Crowne Plaza to be far superiour in quality and service than both of those for less money! The beds are so comfortable and the rooms are lovely and spacious. The location is great for the International Drive area and Fish Bones restaurant is just around the corner which is nice on a night. Because of the time of year we went, we virtually had the pool to ourselves which was great after a long day around the theme parks. (Plus a lot of fellow guests found the weather too cold to swim at this time of year but coming from the north of England it was just right for us!) - the pool is heated by the way and there is also a hot tub. We had the breakfast buffet three times - much more civilised than the scrum-down at the likes of Ponderossa - get the chef to make you an omlette with everything - delicious! My daughter loved going up and down in the glass lifts every day and the view from the top floor windows is great. All in all I would say if you want the International Drive area this is a great hotel and we will stay here again."

• Travel date: 15th December 2003