Castle Hotel, Autograph Collection

Good

Date - 7 Days 8-9-08 thru 8-16-08 Com...

Reviewed Sat 23rd of August 2008

" Date - 7 Days 8-9-08 thru 8-16-08
Comments: Let me please begin by saying the only thing that saved this from being a complete disaster was your front desk staff at the Orlando castle hotel. Expedia made reservation mistakes that resulted in a room change. The room we were moved in however turned into our worst nightmare, The air conditioning vents in both rooms that we were moved into were covered with black mold, I have pictures of the mold but I am also sure your maintenance staff kept records of this at least I hope they did. We moved into the room after a long day at one the areas parks and did not happen to look up at the vents. Over night my 18-year-old daughter became ill, upper respiratory symptoms and crushing headache. We were very puzzled until my friends husband happened to look up at the air-conditioning vent and spotted it covered in black mold, hence the problem. Again the front desk staff moved us again and we observed a flurry of activity by the hotels maintenance staff that appeared to be painting over the problem. Our vacation was literally ruined by this gross oversight by the maintenance/housekeeping staff. We begged Meagan to get out of the room into fresh air that seemed to lessen the symptoms, but she still remained ill. I had to contact our Doctor in Virginia to call in prescriptions to a local drug store to help lessen the symptoms. Patricia Oliff Dated August 23, 2008 This Vaction was planned 6 months in advance and cost both families not only several hundred dollars but much stress and not to mention a very ill child if your so require I have pulled several pages of the dangers of black mold off the internet and also have picures of the rooms vent system. Painting over a problem such as this can prove to be very dangerous as other guests may become ill

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of August 2008

Flight was excellent. We had extra legro...

Reviewed Sun 3rd of February 2008

"Flight was excellent. We had extra legroom booked although even without this the leg room would have been enough.

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of February 2008

Holidaying in Orlando in late November i...

Reviewed Tue 10th of January 2006

"Holidaying in Orlando in late November is very different from being there in the summer. The high temperatures have gone and with it the crowds. The parks are comfortable to visit because there are no long queues for the rides.

Thanksgiving Day which is always the last Thursday of November is followed by Black friday (so called because this is the first day in the year when the retailers go into the black in profits!) Shops open at 5am and there is shopping frenzy all day. All the shops have really good offers on, and we did all our Christmas shopping at a fraction of the price we would have paid in England. JC Penny and TJ Maxx are particularly good for quality bargains, and the Ralph Lauren, and other designer outlets mean you can restock your wardrobe without guilt!

It feels odd to walk through a shopping centre in brilliant sunshine and hear the Christmas songs playing. Stranger still is the fact that instead of the word "Christmas" Americans use the word "Holiday".

We stayed at The Castle a wonderful bright pink hotel that looks like a castle, was spotlessly clean and spacious, and was situated on International Drive within reach of lots of bars, restaurants and a cinema.

We visited Cypress Gardens- a theme park a bit off the beaten track, smaller than the Disney parks and Universals but well worth a visit, with a water ski-ing show, ice skating, and beautiful gardens. Temperatures stayed around 80degree farenheight and we saw little rain.

Yes Orlando is definitely worth a visit in Winter."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of January 2006

felt like royalty

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"my husband & I took our grandaughter to to the doubletree castle hotel. We had a wonderful time & enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The hotel is charming. I can't understand how anyone could say anything bad about it. It's very clean & well kept. Thank you for a lovely place to stay at a very reasonable price."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of July 2004

Treated like Royalty!

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Just returned from a quick trip to Orlando and our stay at the Castle was a royal treat! After reading some of the reviews we were not expecting much, but the friendly hotel staff and ammenities far exceeded our expectations (not to mention the delicious warm cookies at check-in). The room was clean and spacious. Mattress was very comfortable with even a down comforter included. The pool was larger than expected from the pictures on the internet. Also the two adjoining restaurants (Cafe tu tu Tango was excellent!!) made it an easy walk without driving.
Being a frequent traveler to Orlando we have stayed in many hotels and resorts (on and off disney property) and the Doubletree Castle will now be our preferred hotel for future stays."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of July 2004

good value

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"I stayed several times here. Good value for your money. Nice rooms, nice, not very large pool, small poolbar. Great restaurants on walking distance. Breakfast is disappointing. You just can order 5 different things, most of them based on eggs. Why not a buffet or normal menu as in every other Doubletree I have stayed before? Conclusion: Great hotel for family stays and business stays"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of July 2004

The Royal Treatment

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"I visited the Castle on two different occasions, once in 1999 and the other in June of 2004. I was truly impressed both times. During the last visit, I was an event planner for a large group. The Sales staff was absolutely "GOD SENT!". They went Far and Beyond the call of duty to make sure that our stay would be great. Upon my arrival a gift basket addressed TO ME was in the room (great move!). The front desk staff was sooo friendly! Once, they were busy and one of my group members didn't get cookies nor the goodies that they give to children. I went down later to address it and the clerk gave me more than enough to pass around AND with a smile. They graciously gave us directions to attractions and answered any questions that we had (and we had plenty!). The location couldn't be beat either! The maintenance staff even assisted when one of the group members' automobile couldn't start! WOW!!! My group was happy which made ME happier! I am a stickler for professionalism and great customer service and we received both during our 5 day stay.Two thumbs up for the Doubletree Castle and their staff!"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of July 2004

Great for son's Birthday.

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"We planned our stay here for my Son's 5th birthday. He is into knights and dragons and all that stuff, so we thought this would be a perfect fit. He would be King for a day, in his castle. The concierge G. Miller was just awesome, she helped us tremendously.

The Hotel itself on the other hand was not what I expected. Pros: Castle Theme, Polite Workers, great concierge. Cons: Small dirty pool, no game room, horrible view from room, small and not much to the terrace patio on the top floor.

My wife accidentally left her ear rings on the nightstand, but when we called back after we checked out, no one had found them. Yeah right, I am sure there is a maid that got a tip she was not expecting. That left quite a bad impression on us, but what can you do?

We probably will not stay there again, even though my son loved the idea of his castle, this was a little bit of a let down for us."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of April 2004

Decent Place but watch for extra charges

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I contacted Central Reservations about the use of RoomSaver.Com coupons specifically for the DoubleTree Castle. Room rate would have been $79 instead of $95 per night. I was told to present this at check-in and as long as there were available rooms I should get the reduced rate. There were available rooms left; however, the Hotel Management said they had never heard of this program and refused to accept it. Also, they wanted to tack on a $5 service fee for phone use and safe whether I used them or not, My registration from the Hilton website clearly stated all Service Fees were included, finally Hotel Mangement agreed to drop that charge that they said was a standard fee, so watch out for those extra charges they want to tack on. The Room was clean and fairly standard sized. Very low Water Pressure made it difficult to get a shower. Spa temperature was cold until the third and last day of the stay, swimming pool was very small. Overall, I rated this property average; however, this was my first time at a DoubleTree property and I expected much more."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of April 2004

Great for the price and location during spring break

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"I just returned from a recent stay in Orlando. I was traveling with my 6 year old daughter. My mother joined us for the first 2 nights at the Hawthorn Suites Universal which was fine, due to the suite situation, but after dealing with groups of high school students, I needed to change hotels after her departure. Fortunately the Castle had a room for us. I stayed at this property in 1999 during the summer. I did enjoy it then as it provides a mystical experience for children and is well positioned on International Drive for both adult and children's entertainment. To give you some background, I have stayed at hotels ranging from the Ritz to the Marriott, Holiday Inn, and Days Inn. I have found this property to be a great value for its service, amenities, and location. The rooms were spacious enough. The bathrooms were larger than some in the same category. The water pressure was less than to be desired. There was a refrigerator, cable TV, with the features of Web TV, Pay per view movies, and Play Station. In addition to your room charges and tax, there is a $5 per day fee for the safe and local telephone calls. Long distance is only $1.50 per call with this charge.

The pool was heated and there were plenty of pool towels available during our stay. The staff could have paid more attention to cleaning up empty cups and candy wrappers. It was not terrible, but I notice things like this, especially when I had to pick up 3 Twix wrappers under my pool chair before I moved it, so people did not think I was the one who left them there.

My 6 year-old also noticed a cup at the hot tub yesterday morning. She said,"Mommy, that cup was there last night!" I confirmed her observation, as I recognized it as well.

The hot "cooked to order" breakfast in the hotel was very good. You could also receive this via room service. The food was just as hot as if you had ordered it in the dining room downstairs.

The bartenders at the pool bar were extremely friendly and helpful. The prices were reasonable. Just make sure that when they ask you if you want Absolut, Sky, or another premium alcohol, that you ask if they have a well liquor if you don't want to pay premium prices.

Vitos is a great choice for dinner. If you like steak and prime rib, this is really good. They have a great wine list. Tu Tu Tango is one of my favorites. I discovered this place in Atlanta in Buckhead 10 years ago. It has a Tapas menu and is perfect after a day at the parks. Just order a few appetizers and some drinks and you will be set for the evening. (I am not big on a heavy meal after walking all day in the heat.)

They have free shuttle services to Disney, Universal, Sea World, and Wet and Wild. The price for a private car to the airport is $35, much better than a cab. They deal with a private company which will not take advantage of you. This company will also take you anywhere you would like to go in Orlando. If you would like to use a credit card for the transportation, they will arrange for this. I found that most, if not all cab companies in Orlando do not have meters. They all negotiate prices. If you do not negotiate, you will be taken for a hefty price.

I would return to the Castle in the future. I like the fact that one cannot access a hotel room floor without their room key. This is a wonderful safety feature, especially for a woman traveling alone with a child, or for anyone. I have stayed at the Wyndham Palace in Orlando.
That was really spectacular, but for the money, the Castle is an excellent choice. I am a travel agent and inspect quite a few hotels annually and am going to give this hotel an 8.5 out of 10 for the price, quality, location, and service.

Oh, by the way, I did receive my warm cookies at check in and the hallways could do with a lot less air conditioning. We ran from the elevator to the room every time to escape the arctic cold. If anyone has any questions, please email me at: [email protected]

Lindsay Williams [email protected]"

• Travel date: Wed 7th of April 2004

Fun and awesome

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Besides the pool being a little cold, this hotel was great!!We had a fun time with the joker, who made awesome balloons for us!!The way you could walk down the street to all different places to go was great!!The restaurant Tu Tu Tango had great food!!This hotel was great for our family!!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 28th of March 2004

great

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Just back and had a great time. The Castle is a cheek-in-tongue Castle replica and hence your mirror is bejewelled and oversized. The location is of course I-Drive so it is close to evertyhing. The Castle is a highrise as opposed to a resort and it caters for business people as much as for tourists. The pool is stunning and the hotel immaculately kept. There is no restaurant in the building but next door there are several and you will be spoilt for choice. The hotel serves breakfast and it is excellent - only drawback is the tiny breakfast room that easily gets crowded. If you don't want to stay in Disney but still want some "Castle feel" then me and my family would recommend the Castle."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of February 2004