About The Palms Hotel and Villas

• pets allowed
  • vending machine
  • gift shop amenities
  • kitchenware
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • spanish amenities
  • hot tub
  • iron
  • coffee tea maker
  • atm on site
  • blackout curtains
  • dishwasher

Good

We booked this through Expedia, who were...

Reviewed Thu 25th of May 2006

"We booked this through Expedia, who were offering it cheaper than if you booked direct with the hotel. We booked a one bedroom suite and I traveled with my husband & two young children. For families the hotel was fantastic, the rooms had cooker, fridge, dishwasher & microwave & were kept very clean.

We were in a ground floor room and the noise from above is quite loud so next time we would ask for a first-floor room. There is also part of the hotel which backs onto the highway and people said it could get quite noisy. The hotel provides a breakfast which is cereal, toast, muffins, pancakes & pastries - this can get a little bit boring when you've been there a while but it is included and they provide trays so you can take it back to your room. I found all staff friendly and helpful and had no problems while we were there.

It is however, in a very quiet area which is fantastic if you want to get away from it all but there are only a limited number of restaurants within walking distance. The hotels shop is very limited and the nearest supermarket is a fair walk away. The hotel runs a bus to Disney three times a day & has two return journeys in the evening. Although the morning buses were useful, the return journeys were at awkward times and we never managed to get there on time.

On the whole this was a good holiday - good hotel, handy for Disney and well maintained & I think it provides excellent value for money."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of May 2006

Not your average Hilton

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"This hotel had it's pro's and con's. After having a long day at Disney, it was great to hop in the car and drive only minutes to the hotel. It is located in a nice area surrounded by many other hotels. Unfortuantely, the two rooms that we had reserved were in Bldg 7 which had no parking whatsoever. The hotel was remodeling somewhat and debris was taking up lots of parking. Our rooms had malfunctioning doors, one with a hole in it. The kitchenette was dirty. The king-size bed and sofa-bed was nice. The free breakfast in the morning was okay. It would have been a lot more appetizing if you didn't have heat up your own food though. For a Hilton, I would have thought we'd have fresh pancakes, waffles, biscuits/gravy instead of standing in a 15-person deep line for the microwave. All in all, this hotel was fine, but if I had the chance I would have stayed in the Hampton Inn next door."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of December 2004

Excellent Family Hotel

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"We spent 7 nights here from November 14-22nd. How anyone can complain about this place, I'll never know. The room was clean and spacious, the staff was very co-operative and polite, and the price was spectacular. We had a 1 bedroom suite in building 1, and never had any problems with noise, my 2 young children slept peacefully.
The breakfast was excellent, with scrambled eggs, waffles, pancakes, toast, cereal, bacon, fresh fruit, muffins, porridge, coffee and a chioce of at least 4 different fruit juices each day. The managers reception on weekdays was also well done, and the staff very accomodating.
The hotel is a short two miles from Disney, and a few blocks from Old Town. The facilities are quality, and the staff very friendly. All in all, I would happily refer this hotel to anyone who wants a family vacation in the Kissimmee/Orlando area."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of November 2004

A great Family Resort

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"My husband, 3 children and myself stayed here from October 29th-November 8th, and we thought it was great!! I had some mixed feelings and was a bit worried after reading other reviews, but we had no concerns or worries once we arrived.The breakfast was wonderful and we also enjoyed the complimentary light supper 2 of the nights we were there. It was a great location for Walt Disney World- very to close to the highway, and yet not right on the 192 at night. When booking, we did request a room overlooking the pool, and it was perfect. We often enjoyed the pool, and hot tub all to ourselves. The staff were friendly, and helpful. Our pull-out couch was broken when we arrived, and they immediately brought us up another one. As well, we had no water pressure in the kitchen tap, but they fixed it immediately. The rooms are not huge, but the resort is clean, and had everything we needed. For a family of 5, wanting to take a dream holiday and stay for a few extra days, this resort was absolutely perfect for us. I would definately recommend it to anyone!!!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 16th of November 2004

Extremly Poor Customer Service

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"This is a copy of the letter that I mailed to Hilton Customer service.

Dear Sir or Madam:

On 13 August, 2004, my wife, son and I checked into the Homewood Suites by Hilton in Kissimmee, Florida. My company had sent me to the Sybase Techwave convention held nearby, and based upon the Hilton reputation for quality, as well as the amenities offered by the Homewood Suites, I chose the Homewood Suites.

As you may be aware, Hurricane Charley hit the Orlando/Kissimmee area on the night of 13 August. During that time, our hotel lost power as well as several feet of the carpet adjoining our suite door was heavily flooded, since the tile foyer area had flooded. Both of those problems were understandable, due to the hurricane. After the hurricane passed through, my wife reported the waterlogged carpet to the front desk and since we knew that power may be out for some time, we opened the windows and went to sleep. Power was restored around 8:00am the next morning and while I attended the conference, my wife and son enjoyed the comforts provided by Homewood Suites

The next day, 15 August, however, proved to be different. I had left early for the conference and I received a call from my wife around 11:00am letting me know that the air conditioning was out and that we no longer had cable television. Also, the water pressure was VERY low. My wife said that she had called the front desk and informed her of the problems we had, as well as informing them again about the waterlogged carpet. The front desk replied that someone would come by and suck up the water in the carpet with a machine and that they would work on the problems we reported. Since the temperatures in central Florida in the middle of summer are very hot and humid, and my son suffers from asthma (warm, humid places cause him to breath with great difficulty) my wife took my son out of the room the remainder of the day to places that were air conditioned.

When I returned to our suite around 5:30pm, the room was extremely hot and humid. In fact, it was cooler outside and the temperatures were in the low to mid 90s. I proceeded to call the front desk and spoke to one of your employees named Fernando. I asked Fernando when our air conditioning and cable would be restored (the water pressure was fine at that point). Fernando replied that no one in the hotel had any power. I told Fernando that we had power, but that our problem was no air conditioning and no cable. I also let him know that my coworker and his wife in Suite 528 were not experiencing any of the problems that we had. I asked Fernando when they would be moving us, as paying Hilton guests, to a room that had air conditioning, power and cable. His reply was that all the rooms are full and they are not going to move us. I was quite surprised, as the parking lot was empty and I could see rooms that were unoccupied. His reply was that people had taken taxis or shuttles. I asked him if he expected us to sit in our room and suffer. I was quite surprised and shocked when he said yes! At that point, I asked to speak to his manager. He replied that there was no manager present! I said that I wanted to speak to his manager, and once again he replied that there was no manager present on site. Quite frankly, with the problems that were occurring at the resort, I did not believe Fernando. At this point, I was extremely angry and I told Fernando that I am coming down to the front desk and that he better have his manager present! Fernando’s response was “Come on”. At that point, I was even angrier and got ready to head to the front desk. Standing in the living room of my suite sweating profusely did not improve my mood. Fortunately, my wife prevented me from leaving the room.

I then located the 800 number for Hilton and asked to speak to someone in customer service. I was directed to a customer service employee, to whom I explained the situation and explained that I was angry because of the way that I was being treated by a Hilton employee and that Hilton was doing nothing about our situation. I also let them know that our carpet was still flooded and that no one would do anything. The individual that I spoke with took down my name, description of the complaint, as well as my cellular telephone number. He indicated that he would pass this on to the management of the Homewood Suites and that someone would contact me no later than the next day to discuss our problems. As of this date, 27 August, no one has contacted me. Apparently, no one at Hilton or Homewood Suites seems to care.

Shortly afterward, my wife telephoned the front desk and once again spoke to Fernando. She explained that my two year old son suffered from asthma, and due to the very hot and humid conditions in our room, my son was having difficulty breathing and had already required several breathing treatments in an attempt to make his breathing easier. She asked once again if we could be moved to a room that had air conditioning. Once again, Fernando replied that all rooms were full. She said she didn’t believe him, since the parking lot was empty. He once again replied that everyone had taken taxis or shuttles. My wife then asked him where the local hospital was, since we may have to take my son to the emergency room if his breathing grew more difficult. Fernando’s response was a very smart-alec “down the street!” My wife was angry at his response, and asked him for exact directions, which he then gave her. Fernando may find that my two year old son’s breathing difficulties are a laughing matter; however as his parents and watching him struggle for breath, we do not see ANY humor watching my son gasping for breath!

At this point, I realized that no one at Homewood suites had any concern for the health and welfare of their guests. I loaded my wife and son into our vehicle and we drove to several hotels in the local area, until we found an available room at the local Howard Johnson. The room at the Howard Johnson may not have been a suite, but they did have power, air conditioning, cable, and most importantly, friendly people who cared about us!

After obtaining a room at the Howard Johnson, my family and I drove back to the Homewood Suites and packed. By the way, the carpet was still soaked! When I went to the front desk, I saw that Fernando was there behind the front desk, and that there were several other angry guests present. They were having a variety of problems, such as lack of air conditioning, power, cable, low water pressure, refrigerator out, and a combination of the above. Every one of those guests that I spoke with or overheard was experiencing the same abysmal level of customer service that my family and I had experienced. It is no comfort, but at least I know that Homewood Suites treats EVERYONE poorly. I did recommend the Howard Johnson to several other guests who were having no luck with Fernando or anyone else at Homewood Suites.

After checking out and spending some time in the air conditioned room at the Howard Johnson, my son’s breathing returned to normal and we were able to enjoy the rest of our stay in Kissimmee, Florida.

My wife and I are not angry that we lost power, cable or air conditioning. What makes us extremely angry is that no one at the Homewood Suites had any plans to ease our suffering or assist us in any manner. No one seemed to care about us, or the problems we were suffering. What could have been done you ask? Find out who didn’t have air conditioning or power and then move them to other rooms or set up temporary rooms in the large area next to the lobby. Bring us fans. Basically, do something to ease our suffering. My wife and I didn’t expect miracles, just results! In addition, we did not care for Fernando’s insulting and smart-alec comments and the way he responded to us. Again, I DO NOT consider my son’s breathing problems to be a humorous matter.

I have worked in the computer business for 11 years now, and during that time two basic philosophies has always been drilled into me, “The Customer is Always Right” and “Take Care of the Customer.” If I or my coworkers had treated our customers like my family and I were treated, or if we would have responded to them in the manner that Fernando responded to us, we would have been immediately terminated.

Please understand that I am not looking for any free stays, or refunds. Rest assured I will never, ever stay in one of the Hilton family of hotels again. What I am asking for is, 1) An explanation as to why my complaint was not acted on, 2) A written apology from the manager of the Kissimmee Homewood Suites, and 3) A written apology from Fernando for his conduct towards my wife and me.

In conclusion, you may wish to ask the manager of the Kissimmee Homewood Suites as to why he was not present at the hotel when they were having problems and why he did nothing for his paying guests. I am not going to ask you to terminate Fernando’s employment, but I will ask you, is this the kind of person that you want working for you and treating your guests in the manner that he treated us?"

• Travel date: Thu 26th of August 2004

Nice clean, convenient and comfortable hotel

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We were pleasantly surprised that this hotel and our room were exactly like it was depicted online. We were also extremely happy with the location / proximity to all of the Disney parks. Since it is a small hotel I don't think it would be my choice if I was single and looking for fun but a fantastic place to stay for a family (with a budget).
Parking right near your room is a big plus over staying in the bigger hotels, the sleep sofa was in need of a little help but we gave that to my sons girlfriend (she was just happy to be there). Overall I was very satisfied with what we got for the price we paid - there are better hotels but this one is a good value."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of August 2004

not bad but not great..........

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We arrived at Homewood Suites and thought the hotel looked great from the outside, like a nice apartment! We went in the lobby to check in and the lobby was great too, very clean and looked new. Luckily, we arrived in time for the manager's reception and got a light meal. ( the food was good) and then went to see our room. It looked pretty clean. BUT we realized that our room/building was right next to the highway! So we called the front desk and ask if we could change the room, but the lady said there wasn't anymore rooms left and to call the next day. ( I think see was lying....) So , we slept that night , i had a great sleep , but my mom couldn't sleep at all! She said that it was too noisy all night long. In the morning, we called the front desk again and they still said there was no rooms left. So my dad called the 1800 number for homewood suites and complained. Well , it turned out that we got our room changed to another quieter building! My mom got a long, great and quiet sleep! As for the pool i don't know if it was good, we didn't have time to try it. The transportation, i don't know either, we didn't use it. The breakfast is also delicious."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of August 2004

Great Location -- Perfect for our Family

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"We stayed at this property for 8 nights from June 8-14 and loved it. I was a bit nervous and had a back-up plan after reading some of the reviews on this site but was extremely glad I didn't change my reservation. This is not a brand-new property by any means, but our room was very clean and effecient for our three kids, ages 9, 5 and 5. We had the one room suite so we used the sleeper sofa in addition to the king bed --- The sleeper sofa is exactly that --- a fold out bed --- not real comfortable for adults, but fine for the kids --- The king bed was fine, no problems --- We loved having a full size fridge, as we were heading to WDW and were able to keep cold drinks and snacks in the room for our afternoon breaks from the parks.

The staff was very friendly and helpful --- The only issue we had was with an iron that was not working properly and they had it changed within 20 minutes. The pool area is pretty simple, no slides or anything, but bigger than your typical hotel pool. There was also a hot tub and a smaller play pool for toddler age children. The pool towels provided by the hotel was convenient as well --- We were able to use the laundry room to catch up on laundry which was nice ($2.00 per load).

They also provide a complimentary breakfast (lots of bread items, scrambled eggs and either sausage or bacon) and a manager's reception in the evening Mon - Thur (included salad, hot dogs, pasta and the likes) Once again, nothing spectacular, but nice for a family trying to make a Disney trip more affordable while still having a great time! I was a little disappointed with the quality of the breakfast items (not the quantity) --- It obviously doesn't measure up to a cooked to order Embassy Suite style or even a Hampton Inn breakfast buffet, but we ate there every morning and it got us up and out to the parks.

We rented a car so we didn't try the theme park transportation as we wanted to be at the parks for opening and have flexibility in returning to our hotel during the day --- but the one morning we slept in and I saw the crowds and bus schedule I was glad I rented a car.

If you're going to Disney, the location of this hotel is fantastic ---- Location wise, this beats anything on Int'l Drive by a landslide --- It is located at the end of Park Drive --- you literally turn right at the only light and have a quick clear shot at freeway speeds right into the theme parks with no traffic problems at all --- Literally minutes away ----

Bottom line, if you're looking for a vacation where you spend most of your time at a resort I would not stay here. But if you're planning on visiting Disney and looking for a nice comfortable place to stay with a full size fridge, dishwasher, microwave, pool, and easy access to the Disney Parks at an affordable price with family convenience I highly recommend this property!!!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 15th of June 2004

It is cheap, but you get what you pay for

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"I stayed at this hotel in May 2004. It is really off Rt 192 ( Irlo Bronson Highway). The hotel consists of several different buildings. If you get one right facing the highway, it would be very noisy. As is, even the inner buildings feel like a motel. You will hear your neighbors close doors ( very loud). The evening reception isn't all that great compared to other homewood suites. The room's carpet is really worn. My living room's phone is broken. I didn't want to bother to get it fixed. The breakfast is VERY mediocre. If you are into powdered orange juice for breakfast, then this place is for you. BUT, the place is dirt cheap. So, if you don't want to spend a lot of money and willing to put up with mediocre establishment, then this place is for you."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of May 2004

Impressed? You bet we were!

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"If you expect to have a great stay here, you will. If you expect to have a lousy stay, you will.
Yes, there are things you could find to b*tch about here; I saw two itty-bitty ants in the kitchen, the floor was worn, the toilet 'burps' as it begins to flush, the family of pachyderms upstairs were learning to lambada, etc.
But the one thing that really helps a traveler to enjoy a trip is perspective. We didn't lose ours, so we had a great time here. This location is a good value and the 'wear and tear' should be a testament to how many people have stayed there.
Another piece of advice; No matter how upset you are, ALWAYS begin your conversation with a staffer with a smile. Looking and sounding angry right off puts the person who can help you on the defensive. I know because I've been on the other side of the desk.
Case in point; our sofa bed was broken at the foot end and only one of us could sleep on it. When we approached the desk the next AM, I began with a smile and kept the tone light. Afterall, although we truly weren't 'put out' by the problem, (5 of us in a room for 6) we still did want it rectified. After a few moments of research the clerk (didn't catch her name as we were on our way to the MK) informed us that due to renovations, there were no extra pullouts available and she would be unable to get ours replaced. However, in all it's corporate wisdom, Homewood by Hilton made it possible for a 'lowly desk clerk' to have the power to comp us one night's stay. I was very impressed, even though it did cross my mind that the renovation story may have been BS as I have told my share of LWL's to customers, too.
With or without the renovations, we will most assuredly be staying here whenever we come to town!
PS-Feel free to believe all the negative reviews as that will help ensure that they will have room for us next time!"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of May 2004

Not a 5-star, but who needs that anyway...

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We stayed at this hotel APril 19-22, 2004. I must admit that I was a bit nervous after reading some of the previous reviews on this hotel. I was so excited about my awesome deal ($59 a night through Orbitz) and I just wanted a clean place to lay my head as I knew we wouldn't be spending much time in the room. I was impressed. We had a room in building 6 on the ground floor. There were 3 adults in our party. We were pleased with the room's layout although a 2nd entrance to the bathroom from the living room would have been great. Yes, the furniture was a bit outdated and the carpets could have used a steam cleaning, but for the price I paid, I was quite impressed. The reception staff was very overworked as they tried to answer calls and wait on customers at the desk. But they were as efficient and professional as they could be. We are going to recommend this to our in-laws who travel with the grandchildren every year. We have stayed in Orlando several times and this was one of the better accommodations that we have had. Breakfast was great and the manager's reception was all we needed before a night on the town. Again, I would recommend requesting a room away from the highway and building 6 was great because it is also not near the pool. Heard no noise. This hotel is a great value. For $20 a person per night, we received good accommodations, a great cleaning staff, breakfast, and a light dinner. Not sure where else to go for that."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of April 2004