Red Lion Hotel Orlando - Kissimmee Maingate

Good

This hotel was very good. The rooms were...

Reviewed Wed 2nd of August 2006

"This hotel was very good. The rooms were clean and you got all the facilities you would need such as a fridge, safe and even a microwave. The standard rooms are very large and the staff were very friendly.

The time of year we went meant that the Disney Parks were quiet so no long lines in the heat! The hotel offers free transport to the parks and the location of the hotel means you are the last to be picked up and first to be dropped off so the travel time is short.

However, at this time of year the transport only runs once in the morning at around 10:30 and only picks up once in the evening at around 17:00 or 18:00. So you are likely to miss the fireworks as we did! Instead of waiting for the transport to get there we chose to use the local buses which only cost $1 each way and that way we got to the park when we wanted to.

The hotel is set along a busy road and you should expect to walk some distance to get to some decent restaurants rather than the very common steakhouses!

But overall was an excellent holiday and hotel!"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of August 2006

boy was I relieved.....

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"I found this site after we made our reservation....after reading the reviews I was very nervous and prepared for the worst. Thank goodness I was pleasantly surprised. the rooms were clean and a good size. the safe worked as well as the frig. Staff friendly and helpful,pools were well maintained and well stocked with clean towels all day.a very kid friendly environment but even as a party of 4 adults we were comfortable. great location for shopping and eating, more importantly a short and easy drive to all the WDW parks. we drove instead of using the shuttle provided.
for the price($60/night for poolside room) an excellent deal. I have been to Syracuse NY paid more for a room and got less. would recommend to anyone looking for a WDW vacation on a budget."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of April 2004

Great if you want to be close to Disney World & all of it's surroundings

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"- We stayed @ the Nikki Bird from July 20 – July 29 with 2 kids and the overall stay was Ok. It is really great for children between the ages of 8 – 13 - The rooms were conveniently over the Mickey shaped pool – the kids loved it. - There was a game room that the kids enjoyed to the fullest - The 50’s theme dinner was good too. - The Nikki Bird is located in a great place, it near by Disney World and all it’s surroundings. These qualities all helped my stay @ the Nikki Bird, but… - I was under the assumption that we had reserved a Nikki Bird Suite for the kids, our kids were 12 and 10, but when we arrived, we got 2 separate rooms. Luckily, there was an extra adult that was able to stay in the other room with the kids. I, just like some other people that wrote their reviews - can say the hotel does not look anything like in the picture, but on the other hand - we were not there to tour the hotel. The rooms were cleaned daily – with enough towels, but need to be renovated. The front desk staff was great and helpfulTo make a long story short – at the beginning of our stay I was not too happy of the way the Nikki Bird looked because of past hotels we’ve stayed @ were pretty nice. But we were hardly ever in our rooms. We would leave for the parks very early and return late, so we really didn’t require a lot from the hotel. We were happy with the overall stay @ the Nikki Bird. I honestly don’t think we would stay there again – but I would recommend the Nikki Bird if you are not going on looks, want to be close to Disney and don’t want to pay a lot!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of April 2004

A personal opinion to set the record straight

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"Some of the Nikki's previous visitors seem to be unhappy with its services. We (me, my wife and two kids - 8 & 11) have just returned from a two week stay. We are very happy with what we got for our money.
The hotel is an ideal base for a family holiday. Close to all the Disney parks and a short, easy drive to most of the others. The Kids-Eat-Free deal is great value for money - an all you can eat buffet is just spot on to set you up for a full-on day doing any park - and the choice on offer beggars belief. If you are in the habit of breakfasting on quails eggs and larks tongues in aspic you will be disappointed - but for lesser mortals it's all there! Our room was sufficient for our needs (we were hardly ever in it!) was cleaned daily with fresh towels, linen, coffee, cups etc etc supplied. The staff are a great friendly crowd. Honest too. We left one morning leaving our room safe open (!) - when we returned late in the evening, everything was as it should have been! The amusements are cool for the kids, as are the three pools. My only gripe would be to supply more loungers around the pools. Apart from that we had a wonderful time and if we win the lotto this week we would return without a second thought."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of April 2004

Pass on this hotel

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"I made a reservation here for a few nights. I live in Florida and go to Disney often. I had never stayed at this hotel, but chose it because of it's location to Disney. I am also a Holiday Inn Priority Club member and usually stay with them. First of all, I would like to say that the employees at the front desk seemed knowledgeable and friendly enough.
They all seemed over-worked and stressed out though. I know it is spring break, but management of this hotel did not have enough staff on hand to properly service a 500 room hotel. I waited over 30 minutes two times at the front desk. Other times it was 5-10 minutes. Never was there a time when there were more than two 2 clerks there. The line was literally out the front door. This hotel is very dirty. The furnishings were not worn out-- just dirty. Mold was growing on walls, matress had no matress pad on it. Tub had ring around it and there was hair from previous occupants throughout the bathroom. I arrived at night and I thought that maybe just a new housekeeper had cleaned my room. I brushed it off until I saw my friend's room in another building-- It was even dirtier. Besides not having a matress pad for 4 night's, Two of the lamps had no lightbulbs in them. I called to report it twice.
After the second day, I found an unlocked storage room and helped myself to two lightbulbs. When you walk around the property, take a look at the housekeeping staff-- many look like unmade beds themselves.
No shirts tucked in and ill- fitting uniforms. It is very obvious that they have not been properly trained to clean. The safe in my room was broken. The vanity had sticky stuff on it. The carts they use are not organized and appear as their stuff is just thrown on. The corridors and stairwells were all dirty. I am have stayed at a few BAD Holiday Inns. This is definitely the worst one!!! Believe it!! Stay anywhere else but here. It can not be dirtier than this place...."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of March 2004

What a dissappointment!!!

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Where to begin? Well first I paid for the deluxe room with sofabed, it was suppose to hold six people. the sofabed was sooo bad I had to call and they had to send a new mattress. There was dirty socks and food behind it when we pulled it out. Six people in the room and only one of all the necessary items, like shampoo, toilet paper. Had to leave a note to request more. No lifeguard on duty at all at the pool we were near. had to ask for extra pillows and blankets for the sofa bed also, didnt give us any until we asked! Hello...there are people who have to sleep on this thing! Kept asking for an additional room, since it was not comfortable at all for six people, but they kept saying none were available until the last two nights of our stay and then they wanted to charge us double what we paid for our room. Very dissappointed, definitely not what I expected. Would I ever stay there again, absolutely not! I will say the staff was very friendly and the restaurants were very good also. Had great waiters in Angels. Booked because I thoguht it would be a nice place for the kids. Not what it appears."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of February 2004

Get what you pay for!

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"I stayed in this hotel in August. Several checked in that day when we did. I'm not sure if that is the norm for this hotel, but it seemed to be a "high stress" moment for the staff. When we went into our room, the floor was soaked because the air conditioner was broken, but we were promptly given another room. Unfortunately, it was beside the laundry facilities so it was a high traffic area. (IMO, Florida has a stench to it in August, but our room smelled of Tide and fabric softener.) Still, this room had a broken safe. We waited and waited for a maintenance man to show up to unlock it. He never did. Thankfully, my husband (The Safe Cracker) managed to figure out the code which was set by the previous occupant that unlocked it. That was great, but I was ticked off because of all the trouble we'd had! First, the hotel was U-G-L-Y and did not look like the hotel on the brochure. (The photographer who took the brochure pics should have been given an award for making something so ugly look so good.) FYI, if curb appeal is your thing, DON'T book a hotel that has a night time photograph on the cover of the brochure! We literally drove around looking for it, and when we passed it, I said, "good grief, what an ugly hotel!" Then we realized it was ours. I had decided that we would not ever stay here again..........BUT I started making comparisons to this hotel and Disney's on property hotels. This was a better value. Everything is right there for you. You get a safe, microwave, coffeemaker, refrigerator at no additional charge. Sure, Disney has prettier hotels that cost about the same (in the OFF season) or more, but the only extra perk you get for that is admission to the park an hour earlier than everyone else. Do YOU want to get up early on your vacation?
Besides, when you think about it, when you go to Florida for a trip to Disneyworld, you don't plan on spending too much time in a hotel room.
If what you want is a clean, safe room, with a few amenities at no extra charge, that is really close to where you REALLY want to spend your time at an affordable rate, this is the one to take. My kids were very happy with the Nikki Bird resort, and in the end, it was a nice vacation for the whole family. We'd stay here again."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of January 2004

Great for the cost

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"We've stayed at this hotel 4 years in a row. It's clean, the staff is helpful, and the buffet is amazing. Plus the kids eat free and there is a shuttle service to all Disney Parks. It has a great location with much to do in the area. It's not extravicant, but it's nice, clean, and great for the cost."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of December 2003

You Get What You Pay For

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"My family and I stayed at this resort for 9 nights. It's an average place to stay and I feel we got what we paid for. We had a room right by one of the pools. There are 3 pools which are very nice and they offer towel service by all the pools. Our room had a refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, iron, hair dryer and a safe (which is really a plus!). Our room was cleaned everyday and I felt comfortable staying here. We did not try either place to eat, the only thing I observed was that the buffet was expensive and was always crowded. We also did not use any of the shuttles to the Disney parks, but from talking with other guests while there they seemed to never be on time and were not happy with them. We had rented a car and for us it was great because this hotel is only 5 minutes for any of the parks. So if you stay at this hotel, I definantely recommend having a car. Also if your going with the idea that your staying in a "Disney" hotel this place is not for you. They do have the brochures and a place where you can get tickets but other than that, you don't see anything else that refers to Disney. If you want to spend the big bucks and really feel like your in Disney, definantely stay in the Disney resorts. But overall, we were pleased with our stay and if travelling on a budget, would probably stay here again."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of August 2003

Big Dissapointment

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"I was very disappointed with this hotel! I spent a lot of time researching hotels, and the ad that was featured on ..., the pictures and descriptions that was posted on the site, were misleading. The rooms were inadequate; they claimed to have a basketball court, but instead it was a basketball hoop near the volleyball area. The shuttle to Disney World was never on time, and the scheduled times to the theme parks were very limiting. The only highlight was the arcade room; my son did enjoy that. Other than that, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of August 2003

Great deal for families!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"On planning a visit to Magic Kingdom my husband and I sought a decent
kid-friendly hotel for an overnight stay which was close to Disney, but
more reasonably priced than the Resort Hotels. Eureka with Nikki Bird
Family Suites!

We have three children, ages 7, 4, and 2, and a common dilemma when we
travel is that our kids go to bed earlier than us since most hotel
rooms are usually one big open space we wind up having to hit the
lights and retire as early as they do (or invest a coupla hundred in a
2-room suite). The Kid Suites room was a perfect solution. I wish
somebody'd thought of this years ago. It's not an entirely separate
room, but an add-on about the size of a walk in closet with three solid
sides, a curtain for a door, and about a foot of open space at the top.
It accommodates up to three children with bunk beds on one side and a
single bed on the other. It has it's own TV/VCR combo and a game cube
(Nintendo?). The partition of that little room provided just enough
privacy for my husband and I to stay up watching TV or playing cards
and not disturb the kids. A picky adult might list the kid area
drawbacks as the beds being short (about 5' and probably too small for
older kids), the mattresses were thinner than standard, and since the
area is an add-on the kid area temp was a bit warmer than the main room
since the flow of air conditioning was restricted by the partition.
Really, though, my kids were oblivious to these things and actually
thought it was super cool to have their very own 'fort' separate from
mom and dad. Their only complaint was that they had to pile onto one
side of their room to see the TV (since the area's so small their TV
doesn't sit back far enough to view from everywhere).

The bathroom tub/tile area did make the hotel's older age obvious as it
was a little crackly and dingy, but the general state of the room was
clean. Other amenities were that the main had a queen size bed, cable
TV, a table and two chairs, and also had an in-room fridge, coffee
maker and hairdryer.

The complex is huge with several pools to choose from, plus hot tubs
and kiddie wading pools. There were plenty of chairs and tables
surrounding the pools and the added bonus of free poolside towel
service. The biggest disappointment to us was that the brochure
promised free nightly kid entertainment (crafts, a magician, etc)
during busy season, but when we got there we found they actually only
offer this Thurs-Sun AND at a cost. We missed out completely since we
stayed over a Tues night even though we were there in mid-June during
busy season.

The lobby area was nice with a manned kiosk chock full of local
attraction brochures (you could purchase tickets there on the spot), a
gift shop, game room, two restaurants, and a snack bar area. The food
at Angel's Diner was very good (the kids ate free) and our waiter was
very friendly, giving us a few useful Disney tips. There was also an
all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant next to Angel's which appeared to
have an excellent selection, but we didn't try it b/c the line was long
and we were famished.

The location is also very convenient. We opted to drive our own vehicle
to Disney as we've heard that all shuttles from all hotels are both
slow and leave at ungodly early hours. Nikki is the closest hotel
outside of Disney and it took us only about 5 minutes to get to the
Magic Kingdom parknig lot. It's also situated on a main drag which has
a variety of other restaurants (fast food or dine-in), gas stations,
and shops.

If you're looking for an upscale place that really wows you, Nikki Bird
is not for you. If, however, you're a young family on a budget, I think
you'll find Nikki perfect. I'm a big believer in "you get what you pay
for", and in my opinion the low rate of $79 (plus tax) per night is an
excellent value for the money with a few added perks even.

**As a note, as I was trying to book this hotel I had gotten confused because there are apparently several Holiday Inns in close proximity around Disney with "maingate" in their title. If you're looking for this specific Holiday Inn, make sure the Nikki Bid is in the title and that Angel's Diner on the premises. It was the only way I could keep all the HI's separate."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of August 2003