Exterior

Disappointing! Can't recommend

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"We arrived at 08.08.04, spent two nights and we were quite disappointed. The room (a smokers room and we are non-smokers) was located on the side with a fence and a horrible view. We wanted a non-smokers but it was not possible to get that. The beach was small, the pool packed and no umbrellas anywhere. The restaurant was sterile (not nice) and the food average. We weren't sad we just took two nights! Can't recommend this hotel at all!"

• Travel date: 2nd September 2004

not worth it ...

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"This Marriott does not compare to others I have stayed at. We were there the week of July 19th and were very disappointed. The room was ok, but there were problems. The safe was broken, their idea of an upgrade was a side room with barely a view unless you leaned all the way over to see it, the mattress moved around and the sheets kept coming off. The pool was ok, we went here because they had their own beach - it was small and ok if you just like to get sun, but to swim there was too much seaweed and stuff in the water. It felt more like a lake, not the ocean. I would stay at the Westin, even though they were doing renovations, it was much nicer. They shut the water off one night for seven hours - not something you want to deal with on vacation, and the landscapers woke us up two mornings with their loud equipment. They couldnt seem to get much right as far as room service, and service in the restaurant was very slow. To top it all off, the mosquitos were everywhere at night and made it impossible to stay outside. Key Largo doesnt have much going on, go to Marco Island or South Beach if you want your trip to be worth it."

• Travel date: 11th August 2004

Beautiful - but avoid during popular times

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"I really enjoyed this beautiful property. Other than a drink at the pool bar I didn't eat on the premises, so can't comment on that. But the pool was very nice, the beach was relaxing, and the room was clean and modern, with a beautiful view of the water and a private balcony. Evening turn-down service inluded the usual water and chocolates plus a nice surprise of a canister of macadamia nut crunch - excellent! (And maybe only a "Marriot Rewards" thing and not done for all rooms?) The only downside I could see here was that it would probably be very crowded at the pool and beach during high season or spring break times. Just not enough space to have enough chairs for everyone."

• Travel date: 7th August 2004

Worst weekend ever!!!!

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"Do not recommend this nightmare spot to anyone. I spent $769.00 for 4th of July weekend. The security guards were all driniking, my brand new Jaguar was parked in their parking garage, and was significantly damaged. It was also right in front of a security cam, yet they could not see any of the damage being done. They would not let me see the video tape. When I told the security manager that his guards were drinking, he asked me what he was suppose to do about it. When I asked the Holtel Manager, if they would reimburse me for the deductible from my insurance, he told me to go @#$% myself. I even called the Marriott home office, they told me "tough". Shame on you Marriott!!!!!"

• Travel date: 7th August 2004

Would not recommend!

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"We just got back, were there from July 15-20. This is a very old hotel. They are making renovations, but have a long way to go. There are so many eye soars, like what is supposed to be a pretty fountain, but is a just a pipe with water coming out of it. I was very unhappy with the Keys in general. We normally vacation to the Caribbean or Mexico, so if you have never been to ANY other tropical locations, you may like it.. We just know different! And if you are still set on the Keys, I must say it that sadly enough it appeared to be one of the best hotels in the area. One good thing to comment about is the main restaurant; “Gus’s Grill” has awesome food. It is expensive, but hey.. you are still in America.. so get used to it! Aside from the Key Largo being so run down, we did experience some excellent snorkeling. The best excursion we went on, was at a red building not to far down from the hotel that says “Snorkel Shop” and I believe they also refer to themselves as “Sun Divers”. They had a nice boat that got you out to the reefs fast. We saw some other Catamaran boats that took a lot longer to get to the reefs and were very overcrowded. The White Banks reef was by far the best."

• Travel date: 22nd July 2004

Very satisfied with the Marriott Key Largo

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"First visit to the Marriott Key Largo, stayed for 4 nights. Its only 60 miles from Miami Intl airport, which made it very convenient. Hotel was nice, clean, with an attentive staff, but don't expect luxury for the price you pay. "Its a Dive" on location Dive shop was excellent. Very friendly staff, and you catch the boat to the reefs right on the property, which was very convenient. 3 restaurants on the property, all were good. The beach/pool bar Flippers had a great atmosphere, but they hours were limited: noon - 7pm. Beach was small, don't expect to frequent it. Plenty of lounge chairs always available on the beach and pool. Big pool with lots of kids around, don't expect to relax in peace and quiet. Parking at the hotel seemed to be crowded. Overall we were satisfied with our experience and would recommend this hotel in Key Largo."

• Travel date: 29th June 2004

DO NOT STAY HERE

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"WOW - this place is terrible. The bed sinks in the middle. The sheets slip off the bed. The floor is filthy. The pool was crowded. The rest is laughable. The only bright spot was the staff - they were very friendly. The only reason we stayed was because I had used Marriott points. We did stay one night at the Westin (cheaper than Marriott - expedia) and they are undergoing a renovation. Though it is not quite up to Westin quality yet it is by far the better hotel"

• Travel date: 28th June 2004

loved our stay

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"We loved our stay here. The rooms were nice and clean. We got a discounted rate. Went diving via the onsite dive shop, whose people were very helpful. There area several good restaurants a short distance away as well as the pennekamp state park which was enjoyable. I would recoomend this place for a family vacation and would stay here again. I found this place through this website. Thanx."

• Travel date: 25th April 2004

Marriott Key Largo

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"We went to the Marriott in Key Largo and were somewhat surprised at the size of the resort. The beach at the property is real small and the pool for a resort is even smaller. The property was fairly over run with kids and it was hard to get a quiet spot to relax. While the resort is very clean, the staff were not that welcoming and even rude at the pool bar. We had to wait over an hour for food( which was comped) and were yelled at by one server when we requested silverware for lunch( we got a free drink but it was an extremely inappropriate response from a server!) The food and drinks were very average and the gym was almost nonexistent. I was disappointed in this property and felt it did not have the amenities and customer service found at other Marriott properties."

• Travel date: 21st April 2004

Somewhat disappointing

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"Our family--two boys, ages 14 and 11--just got back from a week of staying at this Marriott. We had a very nice time but we did not think this resort compared well to the Marco Island Marriott. My kids thought the beach was laughable due to its very small size! The pool was beautiful, clean and overlooked a beautiful bay. We went parasailing with the guys from the It's a Dive shop on the Marriott grounds and it was very fun, professionally done--no flying over beaches or into buildings. My boys were disappointed that there was no mini-golf as is advertised...it's been replaced by a volleyball pit. The breakfast buffet was not nearly as extensive as Marco Island nor as interesting. We went snorkeling on a small boat run by the dive shop right next door called Quiesence; that was outstanding. Very informed guide named John taught us so much about the Keys. The room was fine but nothing special, the TV was tiny, the bathroom clean but in need of updating. Overall we had a fun time but for the price we were paying we expected to have a large, updated room with lots of entertainment options right at the hotel--that was not the case!"

• Travel date: 4th April 2004