Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection

Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 25 Cancun Km 250, Akumal 77760 Mexico

not what we expected

"Part One
so far we are still here until end of the month. The problem is that no restaurant has Air conditionning. Even the rooms are very hot and I was talking to different managers and they are avoinding to turn the air on to save money. IN A 5 STAR HOTEL. The food is ok but the service is really excellent. The staff is even complainning of the heat in the restaurants. I will keep you posted by the day. We arrived on Sunday evening. The brochure displays all restaurant with AC."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of August 2009

If you like to sweat, this is your place!

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"This was my 3rd time to Riviera Maya, 4th to Mexico. This was my first time to a Gran Bahia Principe - we stayed at the Akumal resort. Everytime I have visited Mexico I have always had a great time. The drive from the airport to this resort is tough, but I had done it one time before so I knew what I was in for. First off, the resort itself it extremely clean and beautiful. The staff at check-in could use a little more personality, but the rest of the staff was awesome. However, there is no air conditioning anywhere besides your room. NO RESTAURANTS HAVE AIR CONDITIONING EXCEPT THE THREE AT COBA -this is b/c the resort is inland, not on the ocean, and they can't open windows due to mosquitos. I was travelling with a 5 month old and the heat was unbearable so we spent most of our vacation in our room. Mexico is a hot place - 365 days a year its hot, so why a resort would not provide air conditioning anywhere but in your room is beyond me??? I couldnt enjoy breakfast or dinner b/c it was so hot!! If you are on the beach obviously one expects to be hot, but when you paid a few thousand dollars for a resort and you cant even get through breakfast without dripping wet with sweat, its terrible. Plus if you plan on staying 7 nights, you only get three restaurant reservations. But this is Mexico, so you need to know that one staff member tells you one thing, and someone else another. We got a manager, and we ended up getting a reservation every night we were there. Go figure! Bottom line - wouldn't refer ANYONE here. There are so many terrific properties in this area - check out the Paradisus, Spa Palace, or the Mandarin Oriental. If your not looking to spend a lot, go to the Iberostar. Hope this helps!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of August 2009

The Best of the Best

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"This was my third trip back to GBP but had decided to try Coba. Due to the swine flu scare and the loss of business, it had not reopened so we were moved to Akumal. As always, service is great. We spent most of our days at the activity pool and I have to admit the Animation Team was the BEST. They made us feel like family. This was the first time in our three stays that we had been involved in all the activities......everything from water volleyball to water polo, to aqua aerobics to beach volleyball to salsa lessons. Ivan, Ulysses, Sergio, Carlitos, Aaron, Jenny, Sophia and the rest of the team was uncomparable to any other team. The shows in the evening were great. The music at the hacienda at the post show was even better.

I can't wait to go back in August to celebrate my birthday!!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of June 2009

had an awesome time and loved the resort

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"This resort is definetly worth the trip. It was absolutely beautiful there. It was huge and I liked how they had the three (Akumal, Coba, and Tulum) all combined. They keep the resort spotless at all times and the rooms were kept very clean. The service was excellent. The maids cleaned rooms well and made very nice towel designs on the beds. They appreciete a tip as well. I think you get better service with tipping even though its not required. They provide free internet service which was nice. They had serveal spots on the resort with computers for public use.
The food was good. We ate at a la carte every night. The one thing I did not like was that it was hard to get a reservation for the resturants we wanted. We booked the day we got there for the whole week and our selection was limited due to availablity. All the resturants were good except service at the el pasador wasn't good. We ate at a poolside bbq(given by the resort managers-Ceasar and Gustavo(they were awesome)) one nite which was fun and the food was excellent. we also ate at the japanese place which was a lot of fun and awesome food.
They had a show every night at the theatre. We only went to one but it was fun. It was dancing and singing, they put on a good show.
The pools were amazing. Very big and never seemed overcrowded. There was a bar close to every pool and beach area. You have to get there early though to get a good seat by the pool or under an umbrella. They say not to save seats but everyone did. I also recommend taking your own cup/mug with you. We did and glad we did. got bigger drink and they do not melt as fast as they do in the little plastic cups they provide.
The ocean water was warm but very choppy and the current pulls you. It was windy the whole week there. But I did not mind, the breeze felt good on my sunburn :) Take your own snorkle equipment, you can go right out on the beach and see amazing fish, sea urchants and sea turtles. The fish swim all around you.
We took 2 excursions. First was to Tulum Ruins which is worth it. You can take either a guided tour or go on your own, your preference. We took the guided tour and it was nice, had a good tour guide. It was very hot there but the ruins and ocean were breath taking. Second was the underwater adventure which we did a sea turtle (which the day we went the water was very choppy and hard to swim in the bay) and we saw only three turtles. We also went to a cenote and snorkel. That was so neat and worth it.
There is the Hasienda at the begining of the resort which you can get transportation on a troley too from the resort. They have lots of shoppes, bars, clubs there. The trolleys also take you all over the three resorts so take advantage of them. Our legs hurt by the end of the week due to all the walking.
Overall we had an excellent time and next time we go to Mexico we will probalby go back to this resort."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of April 2009

Most amazing wedding ever!

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"My now husband and I plus 13 members of our family stayed at th principe for two weeks. We were married in the most amazing setting by the beach. I can't tell you how perfect everything was the planning (thank you Alana!) the flowers and everything else about the day.

The food in the a la cartes is second to none I seriously thought I was in a 5 star restaurant in London at some points! All of thm are great so I won't go on! (Actually although I didn't go the family said the Mexican one was poorest.)

The grounds are beautiful and the staff are great!

If you are planning a trip make sure you go to Akumal beach, its around 10 mins in a taxi and you can swim with the turtles, really amazing.

Thats all I need to say, seriously though do not listen to the moaners, this hotel surely is one to beat!

Have a great holiday x"

• Travel date: Fri 9th of January 2009

Luxury holiday camp

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We (me, husband, 2 teenage daughters and Granny) spent 2 weeks at the Tulum hotel over Christmas and had a mostly good time.
Good points: Food was fabulous; staff were lovely; very clean; fantastic weather; fun waves
Bad points: Noisy people drinking and shouting all night; a long way from anywhere and felt like a luxury holiday camp isolated from real life; long long plane journey and bus transfer; rough sea meant we couldn't do our favourite watersports; outrageously expensive and very limited Internet and phone calls and my mobile (English) had sporadic reception - not good when you want to phone family at Christmas"

• Travel date: Tue 30th of December 2008

What a great place!!

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We got back yesterday from our 2 weeks in the sun. It was a great vacation a wonderful resort to stay at.

Rooms - We chose to stay at Tulum because of the proximity to the ocean.....it was a very good choice! We had requested an ocean view and got main floor. When we went to the desk, they happily changed us to a room on the third floor of building 6 for the next day.....it was fabulous! The rooms were very clean, no problem with towels or air conditioning at all, and the mini bar was stocked as needed. Whenever we were missing something or wanted more of anything, it was given without any problems whatsoever.

Beach - wonderful sand! We spent every single day on the beach playing in the sand, walking, and swimming in the ocean. The kids (6 and 9) loved the sand whales - climbing on and sliding off them. It was like a mini-water park all by itself. Except for one day, the flags on the beach were red, but with the sand whales, the ocean was a safe place to play and swim. We would definitely go back for the warm waters, lovely sand, and fun in the ocean. There are rocks as you enter the water so some kind of water shoes are definitely a good idea for just that added enjoyment and reduced worry about cuts and discomfort.

Food - the buffets (all three) were awesome. We have stayed at AI resorts before and this was definitely the best food of any of them. Since we spent so much time at the beach, we used the 24-hour snack bar for breakfast (yogurt, fruit, toast) and lunch (grilled foods, sandwiches, nachos). It worked really well for us with 2 kids. We took advantage of the restaurants (3 per each week of your stay) and the food really was quite awesome at all that we went to. We tried 6 different ones and no complaints. The kids and I liked Mikado best (Japanese) and dad liked the fish one (Pescador) best. Book early so that you can get the times you want.

Entertainment - we've been to this part of Mexico before so this time stayed mostly at the resort. The kids club was not particularly interesting for the children, who went a couple of afternoons for between 1-2 hours. The did crafts and face painting at the times we were there. The jungle tour advertised for the kids club has not happened for as long as some of the staff could recall, although it is still listed as an activity they do......ahhhh Mexico. There is a mini disco for the kids every night from 8 - 830. Our kids liked the music and games, so we went probably 5 or 6 times. The evening shows are good considering these are not professionals. We read the reviews about this before going and had low expectations, but have to say that the Michael Jackson show was well beyond our expectations!! The kids even wanted to go a second time!! We thought it was like watching "So you think you can dance" with the choreography and dancing.....needless to say, we were pleasantly surprised. We would have gone to other shows, but were too tired to stay up that late.

Drinks - the kids filled up on their non-alcoholic pina coladas....and so did we with our adult version! Whatever you wanted whenever you asked....no complaints at all about this.

Service - all around, very good.....staff was friendly, helpful, and responsive, even after the very busy Christmas crowds started to arrive during our second week there.

Complaints - none really.....at least none that the resort could have controlled. For us, it was really about the midnight to 4 AM noise made by the other holidayers coming home drunk. It seemed that with the crowds came the inconsiderate group - those who had little respect for the sleep and quiet of the rest of us. To those I say....Party On.....but do it where you're not disrupting the enjoyment of others.

If we didn't like exploring and trying new places so much, this is definitely a place we would go back to. In any event, we would definitely recommend it to friends and family."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of December 2008

liked the pools

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"minus points - safety deposit charge expensive
- buffet not as good as riu hotels in area
+ points - steak house , mexican and seafood all fab.
service fab. room service and cleaning
top notch resort lovely pools great
my rating 9/10 enjoy"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of December 2008

best vacation ever !!!

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"This is the place to go. I have never seen such a clean and well maintained resort. Their attention to detail was allways surprising. The grounds were very well kept, the beach sand was cleaned every day. And being located right on the ocean...Paradise.
the food was good ( buffet). There was a nice variety. It seems like the place never shut down when it came to food. You could eat 24 hrs a day if you wanted to ! ha.
Rooms were nice and big, clean , very nice bathrooms with marble countertops. Our room had an ocean veiw, I could,nt stop staring. We would wake up in the morning and have coffee on the balcony, with the white sand and aqua blue ocean at our feet.
Need I say more ?
Lots to do, The town of Playa del Carmen is only about 30 minutes away. And from there you can take the ferry over to the island of Cozumel. More shops and restaurants than you can shake a stick at.
We will definately go back. K&V oakville, Ontario."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of November 2008

The best place I have ever been fantastic!!!!!!

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"We came on this holiday as a last deal booking and it was the best place we have ever been

Came out with my boyfriend we stayed in the resort Tulum the rooms were lovely and clean staff could not do enough for you
Had a massive choice of food everything you could think off in the main buffet restaurants and then you had other restaurants you could visit I would recommend the grill and the japanese they were really good food was fantasctic.

Always something to do in the hotel entertainment good we didnt go to all off the shows the Michael Jackson show was good.

If you want to have a night out off the hotel get a shuttle bus in to playa de carman and have dinner at restaurant called sur the steak and prawns were out of this world havent been to a restaurant like it for ages Also go on the lobster dinner cruise the food there was fantastic and the staff couldnt do enough for you really romantic night out.

5 minutes from the hotel is the jungle place GO GO GO! a husband and wife run a home that saves spider monkeys and you can go and play with them and they are fantastic we went there 3 times they have a website www.jungleplace.com you really have to go

We loved the hotel the people and place that much we are going back in April this time with friends and I cant wait I would recommened this place to anyone wanting an amazing 2 week holiday in the sun we had nothing to complain about you will love it!!!!

If yo have any questions or want to know anything please feel free to email"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of November 2008

Hotels near Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection

Stayed at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection? Share your insight.

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection is also called