view from terrace

• private beach
  • snorkeling amenities

A dream vacation

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"My Husband and I went on a budget trip to Mexico. It did not feel budget at all. Next time we go to Mexico this is exactly where we will stay. The rooms are nice, the property is right on the beach and the staff is great. It is close to Tulum and Xcaret. Transportation is accesible. There is grocery store about a ten minute walk away. This place is perfect for families and couples looking for a relaxing weekend."

• Travel date: 28th April 2009

Picture Perfect and yes the Turltes!

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"Date of Trip- April 2008 I apolgize for the late review but this was one of our best vacations and Las Villas Akumal was a big part of that. The location is on a quiet stretch of beach-with only private villas on either side. There were never more than a handful of people on our beach and the very lovely pool was right next to the beach so it was easy for me to lounge on the beach while the kids played in the pool. The water entry is alittle rocky but bring water shoes, we had a great time swimming in the ocean right outside our door. We had a 2 bedroom condo on the 2nd floor which was huge and looked right out onto the water. The living room ,kitchen and dining area were all open through wall to wall sliding glass doors onto a huge deck with hammock chairs that the kids spent alot of time on. It had a full kitchen so we ate some breakfasts and lunches in and went out for dinners. At the time, Las Villas Akumal had a small rooftop restaurant, it had a great breakfast buffet that we took advantage of a couple of times and we did eat dinner there once. The food was very good, but I admit, we are not that particular about food. I have teenage boys and they eat anything. It is about a 15-20 minute walk down the beach to the town of Akumal and this worked out perfectly for us. The town of Akumal has restaurants and shops and more people so if you feel like alittle busier atmosphere it is only a short walk away. and yes this is where you can snorkel in the Akumal Bay and are almost guaranteed to come across turltes feeding in the sea grass. That was probably the highlight of the trip. We ate a few dinners at the LOL Ha restaurant in Akumal and it became a favorite. We also would walk down after lunch as the kids loved their milkshakes. We had rented a car and did daytrips to Tulum, Coba,Gran Cenote and Yal Ku lagoon. Las Villas Akumal was a perfect jumping off point to all these places. We never had any problems that we needed help on otherwise the staff were very friendly and polite when we came across them in passing. I would definately return here as it was so relaxing and you can't beat having a condo as opposed to a hotel room! Check their online site for specials- that is how we came across a great spring deal!"

• Travel date: 26th March 2009

Everything as Advertised - Had a Great Stay

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"My party of 6 adults stayed at LVA in July 08 with no complaints. The place is almost exactly as portrayed on internet sites like LocoGringo etc., and is maintained well. The units are very clean and kept that way on a daily basis. The day we arrived, I noticed that someone was even doing some paint touch up to the exterior of the bldg. My group stayed in one of the three bedroom upstairs units with an ocean view, but what really made the place was the thatch covered patio overlooking the Caribbean. If you're looking for a quiet, easy, laid back vacation, you really can't go wrong at Las Villas Akumal. The kitchen in our unit was fine with a basic oven/range, microvave and fridge so you can prepare your own meals easily. We didn't cook a lot - we found out that the local Akumal grocery stores were pretty small with very limited selections compared to what we're used to in the States. If you want to stock the kitchen, you may be better off shopping at Playa del Carmen where they have much larger shopping centers. At any rate, we ended up eating out a lot which was mostly a disappointment unless you like driving to places like Tulum and eating in fly ridden roadside cafes serving semi cool beers and strange concoctions of bastardized texmex from questionable ingredients. I will say the Lol Ha serves good food right there in Akumal, so if you want to eat out, just go there. The food was the only real disappointment and we should've made the effort to stock the kitchen and prepare our own meals. Now you will find the water entry on Jade Beach to be very rocky, so it won't be a great place to go swimming in the ocean. You can walk north up the beach toward the town of Akumal about 10 mins and find a pretty good swimming beach there with a mostly sand bottom. The town of Akumal is about a 20 min walk north up the beach - a nice way to spend a morning is to make that walk and have breakfast at the Lol Ha restaurant and perhaps go on a fishing or snorkeling trip from there. If you want to travel around, I think local taxi service is easy enough, but you may want to consider a car rental because the only close town is Akumal. We had a car and used it extensively. I'd recommend Las Villas Akumal to people looking for a quiet, clean comfortable place away from the craziness of Cancun and Playa del Carmen. If you spend most of your time on the beach, this place may not be for you. Also, older kids and teenagers may get bored here. But we had no kids, so it really was perfect."

• Travel date: 3rd August 2008

Turtles, Turtles, Turtles!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We stayed at Las Villas in a two-bedroom suite that was impeccably clean – perhaps very recently remodeled? The a/c worked incredibly well, and even though the beds may be harder than what you will find at a typical US hotel, I found them to be comfortable. The unit (#105) comfortably slept four adults (in two bedrooms) and two teenagers (on sofas in living room). The area was generally quiet, although we did hear a rather loud delivery truck that stopped outside the back of the unit in the middle of the night on a couple of occasions. Having our own pool at home, it was mainly the ocean that appealed to us, but I did notice that the pool was well maintained with very clear water. As is often the case with hotel pools, there were inconsiderate families who let their kids scream and yell in and around the pool. The beach was very enjoyable, albeit quite rocky. We were aware of this and had brought water shoes, which solved the problem and let us pretty much have the beach (and most of the bay!) to ourselves. Fantastic! As much as we enjoyed the tranquility of the beach, the cleanliness of the unit, and the laid-back attitude of the friendly staff, it was the turtles that really made this vacation one to remember. When we first went down to the beach at Las Villa, we noticed a number of poles in the sand with small flags on them. Turned out they were turtle nests that had been marked for protection and this was in the middle of the season. After speaking to other guests, we were told that we could ask the security guard to knock on our door when the large sea turtles came up on the beach in the middle of the night to lay eggs so we could watch the event (no flash photos!). What an experience! We had the opportunity to experience this twice. The last night of our stay, we even had the incredible experience of watching eggs hatch, and 78 turtles being born before making their way towards the ocean! Unbelievable! Other memorable activities in the area includes cenote diving. I strongly recommend Louis and his scuba shop at Dos Ojos: going southbound from Las Villas, you’ll see his shop on the right-hand side before you get to Lost Worlds. Snorkling at Akumal, where you can swim with the turtles is also highly recommend (please don't touch them!)"

• Travel date: 19th July 2008

Nice, quiet place

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"We stayed here April 12, 2008-April19, 2008. We booked through Orbitz and got 5 nights and airfare for $700 a person! Wow! What a deal. Our first time in Akumal (pronounced aaah-coo-mool) and it was exactly what we wanted. Quiet!!! The beach never really had more than 12 people on it at any one time and half of those were just walking up and down the beach. The sand on the beach is soft, but you will have to look for sandbars to walk out into the ocean. Some would call that a drawback, we however felt that it kept the number of screaming sand throwing children down! :) Plus there was GREAT snorkeling for FREE right off your own beach. As for the villas, we were booked into a one bedroom garden. And yes, I will admit that there was a slight odor to our room. Sometimes pretty strong, other times not at all. Bring a nice strong fragrant candle to cover the smell. Or spend more money and get a larger room that is first or second level. Other than that they were clean and comfortable. Yes, the bed was hard like every bed we have slept on in Mexico. The kitchen was good-we made breakfast and lunch and ate out for dinner. They provide a large bottle of water-think deep rock water fountain-for drinking. They have a resturant on sight and the food was good and the staff attentive and friendly. The iguana living under the walk way right out our door was a fun daily sight. Overall, for the price we were happy. I am sure there are nicer places to stay but it was really nice to have a kitchen and the beach to ourselves! PS. You must go to Crococun Zoo!!! Absolutely the best day ever!"

• Travel date: 1st June 2008

Beautiful, quiet beach

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"We recently stayed at the Las Villas Akumal (3/3-3/11/08). It was a mostly pleasant experience. We wanted to stay at a quiet place, with cooking facilities on the beach. We stayed in the Garden View room on the ocean side. I highly recommend the ocean side if you are going to book a Garden view room, otherwise you'll be overlooking the parking lot. These are clean, somewhat spartan studio apartments, which are just steps from the pool and the beach. The beach itself is quiet (most days we were the only people there). At most, our beach had 5 people on it, with plenty of open chairs and umbrellas. The beach is sandy, but kind of rocky for swimming, but just wear aqua socks or Tevas, and you'll be fine. The staff is friendly and helpful. David, the manager was most accommodating. If you don't feel like cooking, there is a restaurant upstairs that is hardly ever crowded, and the service is excellent. The town of Akumal is just a 15-20 minute beach walk, where there are good restaurants, and grocery shopping, and even a farmers' market somedays with excellent produce. It's also a fairly short drive to Playa del Carmen and also to Tulum. The only real downside was that some of the families who stayed here were not real considerate of the other guests. Our first morning we were awakened at 6:30am by some very young children screaming at the pool! There were other families (mostly Europeans), who were quite good about watching their children, and making sure that they were polite, and quiet. The American families were the biggest offenders here, leaving their toddlers unattended and screaming at the pool, or throwing sand on the beach. Once these people left, it was quite a nice experience."

• Travel date: 12th March 2008

2nd stay, better than 1st

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"We, my family of six, returned just last night from one relaxing week in Akumal at Las Villas. It was our 10th trip (since 1991) to Akumal and our 2nd to Las Villas. My daughter wanted at the last minute to celebrate her 21st birthday in Akumal. Since this momentus occasion was on President's Day weeekend I had to scramble to find somewhere on the more deluxe side to accommodate all of us. Las Villas Akumal was the only place with the 3 bedrooms we needed. It had been some years since our last stay and I remembered it had been nice but definitely not our favorite spot. I remembered that Jade beach had been too windy with too many waves for good snorkling and kyacking we prefer Akumal Sur or Soliman for these. We also prefer houses to condos but this time we had our 5 yr. old grandson and the situation was perfect with the swimming pools and the other kids always around to play. This definitely made our stay easier. The 3 bedroom villas are set-up nicely with plenty of room for everyone. The bathrooms could have been a bit larger but they certainly were adequate and very clean as was the entire apt. and public areas. We found the staff courteous and the little rooftop restaurant convenient, although gatronomically marginal, on several occasions when we were too tired to go out. The two major complaints I had on my previous stay and this stay as well: The beds are the famous Akumal cement slab with thin mattress (like sleeping on the floor) and the pillows are terrible. If they would only put thick softer mattresses on the slabs it would be like sleeping on a Simmon's pillow-top. The other is no lounger on the terraces. I like to lay out and read on my own terrace, not always at the pool or beach and there are only chairs and the hammock swings which are fun but ours were not in good repair and kept breaking. If you have kids and want to be relatively close to the main Akumal beach and center (you can walk easily from Las Villas) you may want to consider stay here."

• Travel date: 23rd February 2008

Sublime!!!

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"We loved this place!!! Yes, there was a problem with the air conditioning in our 2-bdrm unit, but it was fixed within a day. Our garden view unit was actually ocean front. It had no patio but we walked 15 feet to the beach and outside patio area. If you want to find something to gripe about, I guess you could find it anywhere, but you really had to look here. The staff couldn't have been more accomodating. The manager, David, I found quite gracious and helpful. The beach was rocky, yes, but put on your Tevas and go swimming --- it's lovely. If you mind the rocks, walk 10 minutes to Akumal Bay for the pristine sandy beach you crave, and bring your snorkel gear because it's a great place to see fish and turtles and rays. Kayaks were available at the villas, as was snorkeling equipment. Our teenagers were never bored!!!! We had dinner and lunch at the upstairs restaurant, and it was quite good. The location was great, easy access by car or taxi to all the tourist sites. Hit happy hour at Lol Ha, snorkel at YalKu, relax and enjoy the magic..."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2008

Terrible service that will spoil an otherwise great vacation

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"I took my family on vacation to Cancun but in order to avoid crowds we decided to stay at Akumal. Las Villas Akumal was highly recommended by friends so we decided to give it a shot. We made reservations 2 months in advance and were asked for a 50% deposit. In total we paid $1,500 US for 5 days for a 3 bedroom suite. The management works from 9:30 AM to 7:00 PM and they are gone after that so you have to manage on your own. The rooms were clean and spacious. They had a mid-size pool and a smaller one for kids. The access to the beach is very easy. The beach, though, is not great for younger kids because it's right on a reef so it's full of rocks and the sand isn't like the world famous Cancun powder. There are a few beaches that have this fine sand, the closest probably being Xcacel which is about 3 mins away by car. They do have snorkeling gear and kayaks for recreation which come in handy- although we could find no fish on the reef by the Villas. We did find a lot of fish and a great snorkeling time at Yal Ku which is about 15 minutes away in the town of Akumal. Our vacation was almost perfect but it became very blemished by the awful service of the staff. We specifically asked for a ground level room since we have small children but when we got there we were given what was available, a room on the second floor. The worst part of it was that a friend of ours had arrived earlier that same day with a reservation she had made from 3 days before and she was given a ground floor room. We were moved twice during our 5 day stay to accommodate our lower level restriction. It was truly frustrating. Another problem was that our cleaning lady, Socorro, stole our coffee. After we were moved the first time to our second room, we had a barely opened can of decaf that disappeared. We contacted the front office but they said they were not responsible for anything and that we should talk to the cleaning lady. Of course the staff are all native mayans so it's hard to talk to them even with perfect spanish. Socorro denied ever seeing the can, but that afternoon after coming back from lunch the coffee was back. No valuables were otherwise lost or stolen during our stay but I'm not sure how much of our groceries went home with the cleaning staff. I'n not going into detail about the lizard pets inside the rooms because I think most hotels here probably have crawlies that join you during your stay. The Riviera Maya is filled with small boutique hotels and truth be told I would not come back to this one nor would I recommend it to anyone I know. I'm very sure you could find a better and more comfortable place to stay and probably even more affordable."

• Travel date: 25th November 2007

Gorgeous, clean and relaxed

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My family (3 generations ages 5-65) stayed here the first week of June 2007. We stayed on the 2nd (top) floor in a 3 bed, 3 bath unit. The property is beautiful and very well maintained. The pool and beach area are very nice with tables, chairs, loungers and umbrellas. There are even extra pool and sand toys for the kids. The balcony on our unit was very large and had a table and chairs and 2 hammock chairs. The inside was extremely clean. Our maid kept it SPOTLESS every day. The kitchen was very well outfitted although we didn't cook much. All of the personnel at the condos were very personable and helpful. Not all of them spoke English but our group knew enough Spanish to do ok. They were always very patient with our attempts. There was always an English speaking person available. There were also 2 grills to use if so inclined. This is such a nice place and it is very quiet. It is about a 10-15 minute walk along the beach to the town of Akumal. You do need to wear footwear for the first half of the walk. The beach is nice but there are some rocks in the water. There are more sandy areas to either side of the condos. You can snorkel right off the beach. The condo has 2 kayaks with paddles and life jackets that are free to use. Overall, our stay was perfect and it exceeded our expectations."

• Travel date: 14th June 2007

Hotels near Las Villas Akumal

Las Villas Akumal is also called

• villas akumal
  • akumal villas
  • hotel las villas akumal