About Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

• golf course
  • casino

not a 5*

Reviewed Thu 28th of January 2016

"Rooms are dated not 5* standard at all.
Phone in the room didn't work.
Wires handing out of wall sockets.
Bath was broken no one came to fix.
Bad drain smell around rooms.
Food not the best at all!
Very long queues at the bar.
Staff not interested in helping unless tipped.
WiFi very expensive worked out at £10 a day.
Not every thing is included charged for wine and sports bar not included.
Not all nights at the hacienda are free I cant under this as were went all inclusiv.
I could go on about this hotel.
I'd advise any one thinking of going here to rethink its not worth the money me and my partner paid £3000 for our holiday could of got a better hotel for the price.

• Travel date: Tue 26th of January 2016

Sit in the Lobby at Your Own Risk!

Reviewed Mon 11th of January 2016

"My husband was bitten by a black bat in the hotel lobby of Tulum, after which he had to be seen at the resort clinic, and eventually was transported to the hospital in Playa de Carmen to get a rabies shot. The hospital would not take our insurance, Blue Cross - which is accepted all over the world (?), so we had to pay out of pocket $119 (our insurance was charged for the costs of the treatment at the resort, still waiting for co-pay bills from that).
When we asked guest services to be reimbursed (even if it's just a complimentary tour), they gave us a runaround at the end of which we were told "no, since this is not something that's in the resort's control."
So here is the problem: my husband was just sitting in the lobby on his laptop (the lobby is the ONLY place designated for WI-Fi ). We believe the hotel should take responsibility for what happened, since it's not like he was feeding a raccoon outside. (By the way, the staff has told us that there have been multiple instances of guests being bitten by wild animals on the grounds - it's obvious that the issue is not being addressed.)
He also had to get additional shots in the US, incurring additional 'l expenses. We sent an email to Bahia Principe corporate, but never received a response.

Warning to anyone considering Grand Bahia Principe Tulum: sit in the lobby at your own risk! "

• Travel date: Sun 10th of January 2016

Excellent hotel, but.......

Reviewed Wed 26th of August 2015

"We stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe 14 Jun for 2 wks and overall it was an excellent stay. As with most reviewers on here, the general standard on offer was great. The buffet restaurant in Tulum offered loads of choice but as with All Inclusive anywhere, by the time u get your food to the table it was just warm. Where ever u went the staff couldn't do enough for u. On a 2 week stay u had 6 a la cartes to choose from. We booked 4 and a couple of these u felt u hadn't eaten much when u left. By far the best of these were the Mexican and the Brazilian on the Tulum site. One thing i would warn against is the mozzies. We both got hammered by them during our stay. Everything we tried (including the wrist/ankle bands that the rep will plug on way to hotel) didn't work. Only respite we had was 2 days before we left and somebody recommended "OFF" repellent to us. It was fantastic and wish we had found it earlier

This was a brilliant holiday but be careful what time of year u book."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of August 2015

They never stop trying to please you.

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"I really enjoyed my stay here. The rooms were very comfortable with a flat screen TV with plenty of channels, a well stocked fridge with beer water and soft drinks, coffee making machine ( not that I'd use it ) dressing gowns and slippers and an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. You could use any restaurant in the whole complex, and it was spread over an awful big site. The buffets were great offering everything to suit anyone. I'm fussy and I liked loads of it, especially the crispy bacon at breakfast time. Lovely. I disagree with most other people in that I would say stick with the buffet. We went to 3 of the restaurants that you have to book and I didn't eat anything. The meat was so rare that a good vet would probably have got it walking again. Still, some people like meat like that. Not me. The little buses that ferry you around are great. You just get on them and they go everywhere and we didn't wait more than a couple of minutes for one. Vvery person you pass was pleasant and said hola and they would go out of their way to serve you even without a tip. The whole area was spotless and people were cleaning the place, cutting grass, washing floors etc. all the time. All in all a wonderful time."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of November 2012

So good we've booked for next year already !

Reviewed Mon 6th of August 2012

"As the title of my review suggests, we enjoyed ourselves so much that we have already booked to return next year and everyone that knows us are shocked as these days we never go back to the same place twice.
The hotel was immaculate from hotel rooms and grounds to the beach.The hotel seems to employ ample staff to make sure the high standards are kept to all over the complex on a daily basis.
Rooms:-
Our room was kept spotless (room 3911 in the Hacienda section) by Patricia who also did some fantastic towel display and not once did have to contact our concierge/reception because we had run out of anything as we were kept well stocked.
Our fridge was also replenished daily and we always had plenty of water/coffee and tea etc. Also the fruit on arrival in our room along with the bottle of tequila was a nice touch.
Restaurants:-
We ate breakfast at the tequila restaurant for our entire stay as the view was magnificent and the service was second to none with Gabriel and Alfredo giving excellent service. The lady on the
desk was also always very friendly and cheerful. We ate our lunch in here on most occasions and not once did we encounter any complaints about the food or service. There was always tables available no matter what time we went in and we never saw a table that needed clearing away.
We ate our buffet evening meal in the Yucatan restaurant and this always had plenty of choice and space to sit. The only thing that is a minor complaint is the food was always warm rather than hot but we were never ill off anything in our 2 weeks stay.
A La Cartes:
We had 8 A La Cartes over the 2 weeks and spaced them out evenly to help break up the buffet.
We ate at the Don Pablo twice, the Brazilian twice, the Mexican, Dolce Vita, Mediterranean and Mikado once.
The Don Pablo was excellent with steaks far thicker than any we've ever had before and cooked to perfection. The service was also excellent.
The Brazillian was good food (the Mexican steak is to die for) and good service but once was enough. When we go back next year we will still book but it didn't have the A La Carte feel like the others did.
The Mexican was divine.we booked this at the last minute and to use up our last reservation. I am not a chilli/hot food lover and I wasn't sure if I would like anything on the menu. I wish we had gone at the beginning of our holiday as we would have made sure to go a second time. The lime soup starter was the nicest soup I have had anywhere in the world. The flavours of the whole meal were heavenly with no one flavour overriding he other and I would love to try the rest of the menu.
The Mikado Japanese restaurant was an excellent evening. We had a show table shared with 3 other families and our main meal was cooked in front of us by our very own chef (we tipped the chef at the end of the show) The food and service again was excellent and we both tried different things and didn't leave a scrap.
The Dolce Vita (Italian) again was excellent food and service. I honestly haven't a clue where some previous negative reviews have come from. The waiters were attentive from going in to leaving and it had a nice atmosphere with a lovely view over one of the resorts pools which looked lovely lit up at night time.
The only A La Carte we didn't enjoy was the Mediterranean. We were left disappointed after our visit here after being to the previous restaurants. we both had tomato and scallop soup which was extremely bland and only just barely tasted of tomato and had no hint of scallop. My husband had the steak which he said was good but nothing like Don Pablo's. I had the chicken which was extremely dry and not a good size portion(which is probably a good thing anyway as it wasn't one of the best pieces of chicken) the desserts were buffet style and to be honest there is more choice and better quality in the normal buffet restaurants. There wasn't any background music on in here and it had no atmosphere at all. The service was okay but not a patch on the others.
Pool/Beach area:-
We only used the hacienda pool in the Tulum side. The pool was kept really clean and Nemessio at the pool bar was very good at his job and made people wait their turn if they tried to push in. He was always friendly polite and cheerful. I agree what other people have said about people reserving beds early on. We stayed at a hotel in Turkey last year and they enforced the no reserving rule which was appreciated by the majority and not the minority- who reserve beds at ridiculous times in the morning then turn up about lunch time before spending maybe an hour on them before going elsewhere - leaving their towels still on the beds.
The beach at the hacienda section was kept spotless by a guy collecting seaweed all day long and also picking up empties. the life guard even cleaned up when he was passing. The beach wasn't as good as the ones in Cuba but was still very nice- not overcrowded and the sea looked amazing. Be careful when on the beach. I do not normally burn and usually tan well even in Egypt in August. Because it is quite windy and the temperatures are around 30C degrees it doesn't feel too hot - don't be fooled.The suns rays are a lot stronger than anywhere I've been before and even though I wore a factor 30 I still burned!
Bars/Entertainment:
The bars were very busy but the waitress staff ensured you were never without a drink. We didn't go to watch the main entertainment so can't comment on this aspect. One thing that would be an improvement would be if they had a waitress service in the lobby - I felt that this was the only thing missing in the hotel.
We visited the Dolphinarium in the hotel.I was in two minds about this as I wasn't sure about them being in a pool and felt guilty up to the point of being in the water with them. The pool is very deep and a decent size and the dolphins seemed well looked after and content. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone. We went at 9am and had a dolphin each so had lots of time, the photos and DVD are expensive. I went with the mind set we weren't going to buy them. DON'T LOOK if you don't want to buy as the quality is that good you can't say no.

The wildlife are a bonus - we saw raccoons, coatis, lizards and snakes. Don't forget your more or less in the jungle. We had a few bites off the mosquitoes but nothing too horrendous.

NOTE TO HOTEL MANAGERS:- PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not let people use their own drinks cups/glasses at the bars. We saw only a few of then with large thermal cups but there is absolutely no need for them. You serve drinks in proper glasses that are a decent size. We went to Cuba a few years ago and the whole experience was marred by inconsiderate/greedy guests who thought it was their given right to fill these extra large insulated cups with their drink of choice and the bars were forever running out of drinks. I would hate to see this become accepted/normal behaviour at the Gran Bahia Principe."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of August 2012

best holiday yet !!

Reviewed Fri 30th of September 2011

"hi there im going to write the review for the bahia principe, riviera maya, mexico

good points.

.the place is BEAUTIFUL
.food is brilliant
.loads of pools
.staff are amazing
.lots of resturants including al a carte
.the beach is great
.the rooms are brilliant
.the wildlife around is beautiful, fish, lizards, turtles.
.tequila when ever you want !!!!
champaigne, dancers and a red carpet welcome !!
mini-bar in the room, restocked daily

bad points.

.no air con in the resturants and bars
.entertainment is no brilliant
.takes forever to get anyway because the place is so big !

i have been all over the world, egypt, dominican republic, ibiza, turkey, america, belgium. and this hotel beats them all by far. the look and attention to detail is breathtaking i highly recommend this hotel.

the only issuse is if you have kids say 10-17 this may not be the best place as the entertainment is slightly lacking at night time.

but none the less. do come here if you are a couple, a group of friends, newlyweds or just want the best hoilday ever !!"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of September 2011

Just returned from a holiday at this hot...

Reviewed Sat 2nd of August 2008

"Just returned from a holiday at this hotel for which I paid a fortune but as it was for our silver wedding I thought it would be worth it. However I was disappointed. Firstly First Choice did not tell me that although we paid extra to fly from Bristol as it is nearer my home, we had to stop at Glasgow and ended up waiting on the tarmac for 2 hrs!!
The place itself is huge three resorts in one. You have to take shuttle carts around which is quite good, The pools and grounds are beautiful and well kept but it is badly let down by the rooms. We had a ground floor room which was infested with ants. The nets and curtains and bedspread were filthy and stained and I even found blood on the lillow case. The room smelled of dirt and mould. The balcony light did not work. The side of the jacuzzi bath had fallen off showing the electrical workings. It was covered in dust and filth as it had obviously been off for some time. We also had cockroaches in the room. The roon was never cleaned properly and in 2 weeks the bed was not changed.
The food like all All Inclusives was repetetive and served up luke warm or cold on cold plates. The A La Carte restaurants however were very good although you can only have three per week.
One thing to be aware of is that there is NO air conditioning ANYWHERE apart from the rooms. Eating is a nightmare in the evenings. If you sit near the windows you are bitten alive by mosquitos.
My advice is to avoid this place as judging by the reviews it is going downhill.
None of my complaints were dealt with at the time and although the hotel have contacted me after reading my review on Trip Advisor they have never addressed my complaints or replied to their initial enquiry.
Just beware"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of August 2008

The 3 of us stayed at this resort for a...

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2007

"The 3 of us stayed at this resort for a week during August 2007 as part of the Yucatan Peninsula tour. In my opinion, the hotel looks good on the surface, but we had a few comments as you will see.

Pros:
*Great cocktail bars - Excellent idea of having the ice cocktails (Pina Colada etc) in the coolers on the bars, and the Pool bar was great.

*Mini Trains to take you everywhere - again, another great idea, considering the size of the resort (see con's).

*Mini bar was refilled regularly with drinks etc for when you don't want to go out to the bars or snack bar.

*Swimming pools are a decent size and (as mentioned above) the pool bar is an excellent addition. There was the great choice between the noisy main pool, where everything was happening, and the quiet secluded pools, where you could relax more.

*Good customer service - our air conditioning broke down whilst we were there, and it was fixed within the hour, even though it was reported at 10 o’clock at night!

*Entertainment was generally good and varied (although we were only there for 1 week). Some others have mentioned that it was too short, but we found that it was generally the right length to keep you distracted after your evening meal, before retiring to bed or one of the numerous bars for the rest of the evening.

*The Dive Centre offered a good mix of specialist dives (Wall shark trips (snorkelling) and Cenote dives - both highly recommended) and normal dives with good wildlife and equipment (too much to do in 1 week!). The boats were also of a high quality, and the staff were very friendly.

*Trips offered in the hotel were very good and offered a good mix for all the family.

Cons:
*Food! Whilst we were there all 3 of us had upset stomachs through some sort of dodgy food (we are seasoned travellers and had no problems in Hong Kong etc). After the first night the shine of the buffet-style food wore off and we started to dread meal times. We did go to one of the A La Carte restaurants whilst we were there, but 2 of us were too ill to enjoy it. Also the location - you are not easily able to get out to go anywhere else for food, which restricted you to staying in the resort.

*The rooms were somewhat reminiscent of Butlins, with big apartment blocks of rooms with 2 beds, a TV and a small bathroom. Most of the light fittings wobbled, and there were wires running across the floor. However, the air conditioning was good, and the mini-bar was kept relatively well stocked, so not all bad.

*Too Big! - The Hotel complex was a bit too big, particularly if you get allocated a room quite far out from the amenities. This meant that you would have to walk for about 5-10 minutes to get to anything, or catch one of the trains that came round every 10 minutes or so. Only a minor negative, but it did restrict us to what we wanted to do.

*The Snack Bar served warmed up food 24 hours a day, but I would recommend avoiding this for anything bar a soft drink, as the food was horrible.

*The Exchange rate in the hotel was a bit of a rip off, and you would be best to change your currency elsewhere.

Overall, I am sure the hotel would be great for most people; however, the food that we experienced put us off ever going back, and severely spoilt our holiday.

I have given both sides of the argument, and if you are researching the hotel for a possible holiday, make your own choice. I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Travel date: Tue 4th of December 2007

We just returned from the Bahia Principe...

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2007

"We just returned from the Bahia Principe in Mexico. Absolutely fantastic hotel(s)we stayed at Tulum hotel in which we were located very close to the beach.

When it rained we were "forced" to spend our time in the bar during the day, drinking the hotels choices of cocktails and tequila .

The night time not very entertaining. My daughter was too young to go in hacienda so all there entertainment at night is a 1hr show then listening to a trio band sing. And closes at 11pm.That would be my only complaint .

The hotel itself is clean, staff are very pleasant, food amazing(although towards the 2nd week got a little predictive in choice but you have also ah la carte,Mexican,grill and oriental rest's).

If you jump the local bus into Playa del Carmen, it will you approx us$3 each person (one way) take about 20-30 mins. Their buses are little mini bus's seat about 12 persons ,but in warm weather, well you could imagine heat inside.

You can catch this right outside the main gates. Another way to get there ,is by local taxi(us$30 one way).

Be careful at exchanging money in hotel. Exchange rate in hotel as at 8/10/07 £1 = 16 Mexican pes whilst at home £1 =19.5 Mexican pes.

Departure tax is us$49 or $530 Mexican pes.

Finally, because I could on on forever about this 1st class hotel, if you pay for a safe deposit box(us$ 70) make sure you get a receipt when you pay or else they will try to make you pay at check out. Trust me on this one because that is what happened to me."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of October 2007

We booked these ourselves on the interne...

Reviewed Fri 4th of May 2007

"We booked these ourselves on the internet and we booked flights and the hotel and transfers separately.

The hotel complex is really huge but manages to maintain the exclusiveness of a 5* Hotel especially being all inclusive.

We travelled as a party of 2 adults and 1 child age 3 years. The holiday was faultless everything was perfect. Even the drinks in the mini bar were free and stocked up regularly never had that before in a hotel.

The hotel was clean and staff were very helpful and friendly.

The food was outstanding in the buffet restaurant. We only went to the a la carte restaurants once as the buffet was so good and great for a 3 year old to try different things.

We took the advice of other reviews and booked this on our first day.

We hired a car one day and went to Cancun which was nice very large built up hotels but definitely preferred the Rivera Maya area.

Excellent value for money the hotel was just over £1000 for all 3 of us for 2 weeks all inclusive. Obviously flights were on top of this. We will definitely be going back."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of May 2007

I stayed at this hotel with my family an...

Reviewed Wed 11th of April 2007

"I stayed at this hotel with my family and it was excellent.

The food was really nice and the rooms were well kept and the mini bar was always topped up :).

The swimming pools and other facilities were well kept.

I would visit the hotel again and recommend it to all of my family and friends."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of April 2007

The rooms were very clean and well kept....

Reviewed Wed 9th of August 2006

"The rooms were very clean and well kept. The choice of restaurants and food was never ending. The shows were excellent. The staff were always friendly and helpful and always had a smile, especially when you try to speak some Spanish. There was just so much to do but not enough time to do it. We only scratched the surface of the choices available. The A La Carte restaurants were also excellent but you have to book as soon as you arrive as they get booked up quickly. "

• Travel date: Wed 9th of August 2006

Hotels near Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Top traveller tips for Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

• evierossendale by evierossendale

"Don't be afraid to use the local collectivos to get around they are very easy and cheap to use. "

• paul-moore by paul-moore

"Go visit Cancun Beach. It's fantastic "

• Mel T by Mel T

"bring some adequate mozzie repellant "

• Neda U. by Neda U.

"After dealing with this company, we realized that they have a very poor corporate culture and do not care about their customers. "

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum is also called