About Velas Vallarta

• 24 hour security
  • taxi service
  • facial treatments
  • diving
  • indoor play area for children
  • butler service
  • lazy river
  • additional bathroom
  • umbrella

Velas Vallarta is awful!

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"I just got back from a week-long trip at Velas Vallarta. I went with a relative that has a time-share but that did not stop the vultures from attacking us, literally every day, for her to upgrade hers and for us to buy. From the airport, to the lobby, to everywhere we went, these people would not leave us alone. It totally spoiled our trip. The resort itself was pretty but the food was ridiculously over-priced. We did not go with all-inclusive but still ended up spending hundreds of dollars for sub-par food. The staff was incredibly rude, to the point where they would look over my shoulder to see how much of a tip I was leaving them! They were greedy and unhelpful in every way. We even met with the COO and he was also very arrogant and rude to us. The beach wasn't very nice - and the minute I stepped on it I got assaulted by vendors trying to sell. We actually found Puerto Vallarta to be one big tourist trap- much preferred the Mayan Riveira where we went last year. In fairness, there were a few good things about the resort: the incredibly comfortable beds, the gorgeous view, the lovely pool (but no jacuzzi!), the nice kitchens in the suites, terrific pina colladas, and the best part - the incredible massages they give in the spa. Regardless, I would never stay at Velas Vallarta again."

• Travel date: 13th February 2004

Loved Velas

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"We loved Velas. The staff was so friendly and attentive. The food was great. They did a special order for my husband's birthday (lobster, steak and they even made a cake). It was great!! We definitely got our monies worth with the all inclusive. We stayed in a two bedroon suite that was kept spotless. We would definitely return!!"

• Travel date: 17th December 2003

Thumbs up on Club Velas Vallarta all inslusive

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"Having never done an "all inclusive" before, I wasn't sure it would be a good value or good food. We'd stayed at places before that offered it but we declined it and were glad we did. However, since we used a time share exchange for the Club Velas Vallarta, the all inclusive was mandatory.This wasn't a place that had the usual slop buffets. Andreas restaurant, tagged as gourmet Italian, had mostly indoor dining but also an outdoor area. La Ribera, the beachside restaurant, had a menu of fish, chicken, shrimp, beef and pork. Both restaurants also had a buffet of good quality as well as ala carte for all meals; Andreas also had a grill table where such items as fresh pasta dishes were prepared. The buffets were pretty good, but the ala carte was excellent. Each night one of the restaurants had a theme (French, Oriental, Italian, Mexican, South Pacific, Argentine, Gourmet Mexican) and these were excellent.Poolside there was a swim up bar and a bbq station for burgers and hot dogs. Room service, although not 24 hrs as plugged (perhaps because the place was only 25% occupancy) could offer up typical room service fare but also morning coffee and a pre-dinner bottle of wine. Although the wine list was limited, they really tried to represent an offering. All mixed drinks were included and top shelf was included but you had to ask for it.There were people staying here that weren't with all inclusive but wish they were as the prices were (typical of any resort) high.Where CVV really shines is their service but that could be because we are heavy tippers even though it's supposed to be included in the all inclusive. But we felt like VIPs for a week and the staff do not make much; we were told they make 40 pesos a day plus about $26 from the tip pool....how could we not overtip!The grounds are just beautiful....mature lush flowering vegetation, meandering "streams" and waterfalls, koi - get the picture? But the beach is just so-so (fortunately it was not damaged from the hurricane as so many places further south were), kind of rough for real ocean dipping, brown sand and you can't really walk for any great distance. We stayed in a 2 bedroom and both bedrooms led to an adjoining balcony terrace that overlooked the grounds, pool and ocean.....you'd need to be at least 5th floor or up to see the ocean because of the tall palms but you could hear the booming waves wherever you were.If you want to roam off the premises during the day, it would be hard to justify the $85 per person per day but we had been to PV so many times and this time just wanted to plant ourselves and it worked for us."

• Travel date: 8th December 2003

Great Trip!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We were upgraded to a 3 bedroom from a 2 bedroom suite. It was so wonderful--very, very large space to spread out with 2 kids. We could see the ocean and had a great view of the pools. The suites were kept very clean and the beds were comfortable. The food at the restaurants was good, but we ate in town a lot also. The activities are fun and the pool area is nice. The beach area isn't so great, very brown sand. We had no problems with the time share stuff--just say no right off the bat. They never bothered us again. The mini-super on the grounds is very convenient. Since we had a kitchen, we made coffee and had breakfast there every morning. It was also nice to keep cold drinks in the frig. I recommend this place if you are headed to Vallarta--especially with kids!"

• Travel date: 1st December 2003

Loved it

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"We went to the Vellas in June, 2003. I loved the staff. They were so helpfull. My wife woke up sick one morning. Our waiter called our appiontment for a day cruise and switched us to the next day. The food was great. We liked the restuarants, but eat from the beach-side buffet most of the time. I have many places in the world to see, but I will be returning to the Vellas soon. The time-share thing is a pain, but it is all over town not just at the hotel. Just say no. The big deals they are offering are available on the internet."

• Travel date: 11th November 2003

I loved Velas

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"My first visit to Puerto Vallarta was in 1997 on a cruise stop. In 2000 I visited again and decided this is where I wanted to go when I came to Mexico (been to Cabo and Mazatlan too). My first stay in 2000 was Velas, and I had such a wonderful time I let the vultures (sales people) get me. I started with the Jr. Suite since I was a single mother of one and thought it was perfet for us. I went back in 2002 (November/December perfect time) and upgraded to a larger unit one bedroom because I got married and needed a little room. The italian restaurant had the best rissoto that I have ever had, and the beach restaurant (which was redone in 2001 and then again after the hurricane in 2002) is very nice for easy comfort foods. Another plus, the water is ok for Americans, it is not great but neither is Californias water, great for cofee and tea or a quick drink. It is my understanding that the entire city is filtered, but I would ask anywhere that you visit. The waiters and servers are super friendly as well as the city itself. Have not met an angry person in Puerto Vallarta, everyone seems friendly, and it is not just because we are Americans and they want our tips (they thought I was Mexican and still treated me well). I recommend visiting Velas, but beware of the time share sellers, even though I was a willing buyer, I still felt pressured and I was even a willing buyer. I have RCI and additional weeks at their newer resort but I really think of Velas as my home away from home. PS They have new AC units in every unit now can't wait. PSS Leaving to go their in 4 weeks!!!"

• Travel date: 3rd October 2003

All inclusive surprise

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"7/25/03 to 8/1/03 - The rooms provided were very nice as was the resort. The only big glitch was that at check-in I was presented a bill of $85/day/guest as a mandatory "all-inclusive". I don't recall that being mentioned in the descriptive literature. As there were five of us in the two rooms, that came to a tidy sum of $2975 additional which I paid under protest. I called RCI hoping that something else might be available, but they said that all properties were full for this week"

• Travel date: 2nd August 2003

Scam

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"We were in Mexico in March and ended up buying a timeshare at Velas Vallarta. We are very sorry we did. We have found out that just about everything they told us was a lie. They are very nice to you, we were sure sucked in."

• Travel date: 30th June 2003

great holiday at velas vallarta

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"Velas is perfect for families who don't want to eat in restaurants three times a day but don't want to spend time cooking. Our family with 2 young children opted for the one bedroom suite with kitchen and the 7 breakfasts, 3 dinner/lunch plan. It was perfect. We did one grocery run at the nearby Commerciale Mexicana and were able to go back to the room midday for a light lunch and downtime. Breakfast was great in the beachside restaurant -- lots of fresh fruit, cereals good coffee and cappucino, some mexican dishes and eggs cooked to your liking. The kids loved the food and soon felt very much at home on the beautifully landscaped grounds. Dinner at the gardenside Italian restaurant was very good and we never had to reserve or dress up. Staff were friendly and the service was great. The pools were wonderful too and gave good variety -- quieter in the back, livelier in the front. The beach is fine but waves are very strong...there are vendors and time share people about but we did not find them too pushy. The concierge will try to talk timeshare after giving you your package of info but you can easily escape. The evening entertainment was not the highpoint of the week -- very amateur and predictable. Activity staff are very enthusiatic and fun. Kids activity hut is VERY lowkey though -- neither of my kids felt very drawn to it. That was fine because they were more than satisfied with playing in the pools. There is a store on site for bread, sunscreen, pool toys, icecream etc. The room was clean and spacious but a bit dark in back. Beds were not the height of comfort. Next time I would opt for a room in building 1 or 3 (we were in 2).The area around the Velas is not that interesting. This is really a place to settle in for the week with maybe a side trip to PV."

• Travel date: 28th March 2003

Wonderful hotel and resort

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We were there from Feb 22 thru Mar 1, 2003. We had a 1 bedroom apt. with king bed, kitchen, living room, terrace and tv's in LR and BR. The resort has 2 pools and a kidde pool which had lush tropical plants all around. We did not opt for the all inclusive because the restaurants in PV are fabulous! The beach is a little rough partly because of the recent hurricane. Even though it's close to the airport it had no real effect on our stay. We highly reccommend this resort."

• Travel date: 4th March 2003

Hotels near Velas Vallarta

Velas Vallarta is also called

• Velas Vallarta Suite Resort
  • velas vallarta
  • velas vallarta suite hotel