Nice Place

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"We stayed in Penthouse A for the week of Feb 2nd. It was lovely, and the view can not be beat. Maria and Bella (our chefs) were excellent - and the margaritas were VERY potent! We originally scheduled only breakfast and lunches to be prepared (and at specific times), but Maria was very flexible and worked our meals around excursions, and was even willing to cook dinner for us! She would do the grocery shopping and we'd pay her back each day.

The only issue we had were the musty smells in the bedrooms - mostly the Master bedroom. My mother-in-law suffers from Asthma and is very sensitive to mold. She would wake up weezing in the middle of the night and eventually slept on the couch.

The beach is wonderful - they have 3 palapas for guests' use. While we were checking out they were bringing in new flat screen LCD TVs - unfortunately, we didn't get to experience them, but it'll be nice for the next people."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of February 2008

Loved it !

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"My Vacations during December holydays where the best thanks to VallartaShores and its staff, they were very kind to and helpful in every moment of the day to me and my family.
We where treated as celebrities, they arranged a lots of activities for all day long like canoppy, whale-watching, dolphins, massages in our villa , and we had my birthday and Christmas dinner arranged by them, its was just perfect, I´ll never forget my trip to Vallarta thanks to them.
Guys I really recommend it!!
Will Thompson"

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of January 2008

Great time, great place, great service

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Stayed in the three bedroom penthouse A at Vallarta Shores with two of my fishing buddies. We could not have asked for more. Cable TV, wireless internet access, open air oceant front property, air conditioned bedrooms, great views, on call chef who makes excellent dishes from scratch(highly recommend eggs benedict,) private swimming pool, and excellent service day in and day out. Fantastic old town location with lots of eateries, coffee shops with internet, and cash machines. Very friendly atmosphere wherever we went.

Jorge and his staff addressed any issue with lightning speed. It was an experience that I expected and received. We will be back."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of July 2007

Why would anyone stay at a hotel?

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"When we took this vacation, basic rooms at good, major resorts/hotels were running $300+/night. For that, you get a king size bed, a balcony on the ocean, and maybe a small suite.

For ~$350/night at Vallarta Shores we got Penthouse A (the larger of the two penthouses) -- a 3 bedroom extravaganza larger than any apartment I've ever lived in. The common space is gigantic, including a full kitchen, a living room, a dining area, and a decent sized, private pool. (Look at the pictures on their website.) If that weren't enough, the rate included a chef who cooked us two meals a day at only the cost of the groceries. Dulce (our chef) was great -- she watched and played with our infant daughter during most of our meals, and made delicious fare throughout.

The staff was very friendly, cleaned the place daily, and provided a crib and high chair for our daughter.

Finding this place took a fair bit of research, but once you know about it (and now you do, given that you're reading this), I can't imagine staying at a hotel.

The only downside (if there is one), is that Vallarta Shores is at the end of the Romantic Zone, at the tail of Playa los Muertos. Getting into Centro, or even the heart of the Romantic Zone, is a bit of a walk. On this plus side of that, though, this meant the beach outside Vallarta Shores was never crowded, even on the busiest day. And there is a taxi stand a half block from Vallarta Shores, where there were always taxis waiting.

If you're planning on staying in PV, I strongly reccommend giving this place a good look. Ask for Penthouse A and Dulce. (And while you're at it, plan a trip to Oaxaca and Puerto Escondido, both of which we liked better than PV for reasons unrelated to Vallarta Shores.)"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of May 2007

Great place in PV!

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"We stayed at Vallarta Shores for three nights. After leaving Cancun for PV because of bad weather in the Yucatan, we started out staying at the Marriott Casamagna in the Marina. The hotel is great, but too far from the center of town and the Romantic Zone, where we seemed to be spending all our time. On a walk along the beach we happened across Vallarta Shores and decided to see if there was anything available. They had the room on the ground floor for the following few nights, so for $80 we took it. The following day we moved in, and ten minutes later moved out. The ground room floor is so rank from mildew and mold that we couldn't take it for more than a few minutes, even with all the windows open. And this is AFTER the recent remodel. We went and spoke to Jorge and Dulce, who kindly moved us up to room 6 on the second floor. From then on we had a great stay! There is a real authentic feel to this place. Our spacious one-bedroom suite had a long balcony overlooking the boardwalk and beach. There is AC in the bedroom only, but the nights were cool and we never turned it on. We ate all our meals out, but the kitchen seemed pretty wel equipped, and had a purified water dispenser. The bathroom had a large shower spacious vanity. The room was very quiet at night; no noise from the boardwalk at all (though the crashing waves from the ocean are right outside the windows - it was hard to sleep until we got used to them). Laundry and maid service were great. The best thing about this place is the location - right on the boardwalk, minutes to Olas Altas, Carranza and the Romantic Zone, easy to get taxis to other parts of town. We also walked south to Conchas Chinas to take in the breathtaking villas. The beach in front of the hotel is wide, clean, and has quite a large number of restaurants serving right on the beach. Internet cafes and coffee shops are within a 5-minute walk; our favorite beach restaurant, La Palapa, is about a 10-minute walk. We would definitely stay here again, preferably in a penthouse suite, but even the second floor was great."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of December 2006

Great, Almost Paradise

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"A group of 6 of us stayed in Penthouse B at Vallarta Shores between 6/14/06-6/22/06. This place is beautiful. It has a real Mexican charm to it and has nice space for spreading out. I really like the location because it was right on the beach and within walking distance to most anyplace in town, but it was not in the mainstream area of town and that kept traffic away.

There were a few downfalls as with anyplace. The air conditioning in the three bedrooms was inconsistent. One room was very cool, the next somewhat cool, and the master bedrooms air never really worked properly, it came on, but did not cool. There were bugs here and there, but most of the space was opened to the fresh air and that is understandable. No mosquitos at this time of the year.

The chef was unbelievable. Every meal was excellent. By day 3 we gave him free reign to make whatever he wanted for us. Never disappointed. The staff as a whole were very friendly and accomadating. A couple of times I felt like I was getting a minor run-around, but nothing that disturbed my vacation.

I will probably return and stay at Vallarta Shores in the future. I will make reeservations well in advance so that we can get Penthouse A, which is bigger and nicer than B."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of May 2006

Location, location, location!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"My wife and I spent a week in a one bedroom suite at Vallarta Shores, and we absolutely loved it! It is a very authentic, spacious room with the the ocean at your doorstep. What we loved the most about it was its location. One, it's oceanfront and two, the hotel is located in Old Vallarta where all of the local shops and restaurants are located. You're a short walk from the downtown where it's twice as busy with all of the tourists, and of course all of the commercial merchants. Who wants to go to Mexico to eat at McDonalds or shop at Wal-Mart. Old Vallarta is the place to be, with cobblestone streets, local restaurants and shops, and plenty of live musicians can be heard in different restaurants/bars by wandering the streets. Incredible sunsets are waiting for you at Vallarta Shores. The only notch I have of this place, and it was mentioned in a previous review, was that there is this musty smell, but to be honest, once we're in the room, we simply opened up both sets of garden doors and let the fresh ocean breeze in. It certainly wasn't enough to deter us, nor was it enough to highly recommend this beautiful and memorable place."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of December 2005

Vallarta Shores No Way!

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"I returned from Puerto Vallarta recently and while staying there for a month, stayed at Vallata Shores. It was the worst stay in my many travels. The bed linen had really musty odors most days when the linen was just changed. The phone system is the worst. The phones is the main office where you had to receive your calls through to be place to your room went unanswered most of the day. After 8:00 p.m. at night the office was closed and there was no way of receiving calls at all under no circumstance. The management and staff was not friendly or helpful at all. Most questioned asked of them seemed as a bother. To sum it up, horrible rooms with odor, no real hospitality, and please avoid if you need to communicate with other people via the telephone."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of February 2005

Loved Vallarta Shores

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"We stayed in one of the pent houses during the Christmas holidays. We had a great time. The service was wonderful. Jorge Perez, the manager, set the tone for thoughtful, friendly service. The entire staff, front desk to the housekeepers, were very helpful and cheerful. We had the services of a cook (Luce) for two meals a day. She was delightful as well as a great cook. The location of the hotel was great-on Los Muerto beach-and we walked to all the activities and sights of the town. No cabs needed. We were a party of five adults. My husband and myself with our daughter, son and daughter-in-law. We enjoyed our private swimming pool as well as the three bedrooms and three and a half bathrooms. Everyone had a great time and would love to stay at Vallarta Shores again."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of February 2005

Paradise in Vallarta

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We have never been treated like royals, until Vallarta Shores. Our travel agent booked us at another retreat which turned out to be a disaster. After 5 days of our 21 day stay we moved to Vallarta Shores.
We enjoyed the rest of our stay and want to come back again next year.
The Vallarta Shores staff is friendly, helpful and just nice people.
Keep up the good work. The penthouse was breathtaking doing the days and glorious at sunset."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of October 2003