About Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa

• babysitting
  • infinity pool

Fabulous Service!

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"We just returned from four days at the CasaMagna and couldn't be happier with our trip. We got a free upgrade to a deluxe oceanfront room - and the view was absolutely amazing. We stayed on the top floor in the center near the elevators - meaning we overlooked the grounds, the pool and an expansive view of the ocean. The room was clean and nice - and, the service was exceptional. I read on an earlier review that the staff didn't replenish towels - we had so many towels, we didn't know what to do with ourselves. The pool area was gorgeous - I love the waterfalls and the view of the ocean. Maybe its because we were there at a fairly slow time, but we never had a problem getting a great spot by the pool. The food and drinks at the hotel were a little expensive, but we preferred heading into town for more action anyway. I would definitely reccomend the CasaMagna to anyone going to Mexico. The flowers all over the hotel were the most beautiful touch."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of December 2003

If you're looking for "no frills" look no further!

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"My husband and I were there in Sept 2003 for our first year wedding anniversary. It was veeeery basic. The rooms are ho-hum and reeked of mildew. The "view" was marginal - we paid for an ocean view room and had to change rooms because you could barely see the ocean. The move they moved us into provided only a partial ocean view at a full view price.

The pool is boring, and there is only one. And it was not that clean - there was tons on mold and mildew in the tiles. Yuk. The "swim up" bar was pretty lame.

I would definatel NOT stay there ever again nor would I recommend it to anyone. We went and checked out the Westin right down the street and its well worth the extra $30/night."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of November 2003

Very nice Hotel, but not spectacular

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"My finance and I just got back from our stay at the Marriot 11/8/03-11/14/03. This hotel is very nice definitely above average, but it is not a luxury hotel. It seems more of a family friendly resort rather than couples, we are 25 and there was really no one there our age. The rooms are large and clean, the beds are so hard and the pillows flat, but I did not have trouble sleeping. We had a nice stay and I think most people would be very happy with this hotel, but I am very into luxury posh hotels so I was a little disappointed. I had read that the hotel seemed musty before I went which is true, the humidity there is so high it does seem musty. The pool area is very nice with lots of lounge chairs, but you do need to head down and put towels on your chairs before 10am. The service at the pool is great as well as the maid service, they clean your room everyday and change the seats with lots of fresh towels. The beach area is not nice at all, I was picturing white soft sand, the sand is very rocky and the surf is rough. No one sits and suns on the beach. The food at the hotel is good but very expensive. You can walk over to the Marina for food there are lots of restaurants and half the price. Puerto Vallarta was great, lots to do and the downtown area has great shopping, restaurants and bars. I highly recommend the canopy tour through the jungle and mountains. It was amazing."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of November 2003

Rack Rate--A New Meaning Oct 2003

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"I just spent a week at the Marriott Casa Magna in October 2003. I found the staff to be very good. The hotel was beautiful and clean. I did not find bugs or peeling paint.

I did have a problem at check in....no reservation. I was able to produce a copy of my expedia confirmation and was helped at once. The room was just as expected. We had a great view, which I had paid extra money to get.

I have one huge complaint about the "European Bed". Perhaps I don't know what that means. From the bed we had I can only suspedt that Europeans are into pain. Not quite a bed of nails but probably not much less comfortable. The springs could be seen through the pad and the sheets. I've traveled in Europe and never felt a bed quite this uncomfortable.

I did not complain to the hotel because I did not know how much worse it might get. The Marriott did offer a questionaire to rate my stay. I suggested that the Manager should spend a week on the bed in room 6034.
The questionaire had a place for a telephone# and email address which I filled out completly. The questionaire was mailed in the US with the correct postage. I can only guess that it was received.

I thought customer satisfaction was an important thing to a large corporation. I'm afraid that I was mistaken. Not only have they not responded but I sent my own email to their corporate offices and still no response. The only conclusion is the questionaire is there for looks so there is no need to fill it out. The lack of response is probably harder to take than the bad bed. Before I thought they didn't know, now I know they just don't care.

If anyone out there reads this and happens to enjoy pain, then just ask for room 6034. You'll have a beautiful room with all the pain you can stand.

STee of San Diego"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of November 2003

Nice Hotel, loved Puerto Vallarta

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"I read the reviews on the Marriott before we left and was a little worried. We didn't have any problems. The hotel is very nice, the people who work there were wonderful, very polite. There was construction going on outside of our room, but most of the day we were out anyway. For the price it was worth it. I ate the breakfast buffet twice and it was very good too.There is a sports bar so we watched the world series on big screen. There are several U.S. stations on the tv in the rooms. There is a room safe that you can set your own code to. The sliding door to the balcony has an extra lock. There aren't any time share people here which is a nice change from everywhere else you go in town. Be prepared to be bombarded with offers everywhere about time shares. That is the only drawback I saw about Puerto Vallarta.I recommend Victors Place/Cafe Tacuba on the Marina. The food is really very good and inexpensive. We ate there 5 times in 10 days. When you order a drink, you get a shot of tequila free. Beer is $1, margaritas are 2.50 and strong. If you order dinner you also get a free after dinner kahlua and cream. Victor is there and remembers his customers. On our last night he gave me a hug and a handshake to my boyfriend for coming to his resturant. He serves mexican food to seafood to steaks.We found Marisma's II at the end our trip, also in the Marina. $1 fish tacos were excellent, also other very inexpensive food.The boyfriend rented a Jeep. We went to the Garden of Eden resturant about 5 miles up in the hills by Mismaloya. This is were Preditor was filmed. There is a nice river and water fall and swimming hole. There also is a resturant. We ordered the Seafood for 2 and it could feed 3-4 people and very good. There also is a small canopy tour that goes back and forth over the river that was fun.The next day we went up into the mountains to a small town of San Sabastian. Go out hwy 70 past the airport, head for Ixtapa, keep going about 10-15 more miles and you will come to a small town with a sign that says San Sabastian to the right. This is a true 4 wheeling trip. The first few miles is under construction and you have to deal with the that, but after that is about 40 miles of one lane dirt road that snakes thru the mountains and streams and a river. The view is awesome. This is about a three hour trip to this little town and then we turned around and came back. There was a hotel that looked nice by the town square if you wanted to stay over. There is a toll about 10 miles from this town that will cost you 20 pesos each way.We went on the Sierra Madre tour with Vallarta Adventures and that was very good. Love Puerto Vallarta, the people were really nice, food is inexpensive and good, the setting is very nice. There is a Sam's Club and Wal Mart close to the Marina. Kahlua at Sam's was about $6."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of October 2003

Wonderful Hotel, Great Vacation

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"After reading the reviews written in July, my husband and I were a little nervous about staying at the Marriott. I'm glad we decided to take a chance. Our experience was wonderful. When we arrived we were supposed to check into one room for one day and another room for four days. I asked if there was any way that we could have the same room for all five days. The people at the desk were able to give us a partial ocean view room at the garden room rate. Another guest may not have liked the room since it overlooked a construction site, but the view of the ocean and the city were fantastic and we actually enjoyed watching the workers and the stray dogs.

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet, I am a big fan of chilaquiles. Andrea makes really good omelets at the omelet bar and is very friendly also.

Since it did rain in the evening we did not venture out too much so we chose to eat at Champions. The food was great and the prices were very reasonable. We also enjoyed talking to the people who worked there.

Everyone that we encountered at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. I needed help placing a phone card call to the US and the man at the front desk accompanied me to the pay phone and showed me how to dial.

We also liked the location. The hotel is close to the airport and only a short bus or taxi ride from the center of Puerto Vallarta as well as the Maritime Terminal.

We found a taco stand in the Marina that has the best food and is really inexpensive. It is called Marisma's II. Mahi Mahi tacos are about $1 a piece. They also have shrimp tacos, chicken tacos, shrimp burgers, hamburgers and crab stew tacos as well as shrimp quesadillas.
We loved the place and so do the locals. The night we went it was pouring and the place was full.

We also recommend the Pancake House in Puerto Vallarta for breakfast.
The owner is very nice and the food is great.

Our favorite hang out spot was a bar in Puerto Vallarta right on the beach called Los Burros. Carlos and the rest of the the guys are funny and friendly and the bucket of beers for $3.50 and the large Margaritas for $3.50 are fantastic. We spent many hours wathcing the parachute rides, shopping and talking to the other people in the bar. We can't wait to go back."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of August 2003

Beautiful place

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We experienced excellent service, and stayed in a lovely, quiet room facing the pool and the ocean. The beds were firm, but not rock-hard, and quite comfortable. We ate at the breakfast buffet which was included in our room price and one night we had their lobster/roast beef dinner buffet. The food was consistently good. The grounds are well-maintained and there is an adequate gym which is free to guests.
We had no complaints and would go back there in an instant. We were traveling with 2 children, 11 and 13 and they also enjoyed themselves.
It did rain at night in August, but the days were sunny, warm and humid. The ocean and pools were like bath water. The highlight of our trip was the dolphin swim. It was $120 but worth it. They sell out everyday, so plan early in the week to reserve. We also liked the food at the Blue Shrimp and Pipi's, both in downtown P.V. They are touristy, but the food was excellent and both places fun. We found restrooms in down town restaurants to be suprisingly clean. This is definitely a tourist town. We drank tap water at most places and ate salads and fruits, but only in tourist-sanctioned restaurants. We saw no shopping bargains. The stuff at the flea market looked like over-priced junk. We also stayed at Pardise Village which I have reviewed on their site."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of August 2003

Our Best Vacation Yet!

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"This was our first (& certainly will not be our last)trip to Puerto
Vallarta. I felt that I did a lot of research on the internet as to
which Hotel we were going to stay in. I think I read every review &
quickly found out that you just cannot please everyone. I ended up
choosing the Marriott Casa Magna because of the location, the pool, &
the rates. We asked for an ocean view room & got much more. We
overlooked the perfectly landscaped gardens (which they are always
manicuring), the pool, the ocean, downtown, and the mountains. Just
perfect. Our room was 7031 for anyone that is interested. All marble
floors and bathroom. 2 Double beds that were great and lots of pillows.
The closet was adequate but great drawer space. There is a safe in the
room for valuables. The beach is not much, but then we are use to the
beaches in Florida in the Gulf. All white and large. Beaches here are
dark and small, but who cared. The pool was fantastic. Large,
beautiful, lots of lounge chairs & thatched umbrellas & a great bar in
the pool. We spent a lot of time there. We met so many great people.
The Hotel itself is very open w/outside restaurants and bars. Coffee is
made available each morning in the openaire bar off the lobby or you
can fix coffee in your room. The staff at the hotel, and this means all
of the staff, are very nice and always available to help you. My
complaints about the Hotel would be: The food in the hotel restaurants
are just average, like most hotels. Luckily you have the Marina within
walking distance (about 3 blocks & after laying around the pool all day
it is a good thing to walk) with a lot of great restaurants of any type
food you want. The other complaint was a couple of times when we came
back to our room after 5PM, the room was not cleaned. We would call the
desk & within 5 minutes they would be there to clean the room. I can
live with that. Make sure you check you minibar when you check into
your room. Ours was only about 1/2 full and the next day it was full.
We went to the desk to tell them that we had not used anything & if it
showed up on our bill, we would not be responsible. When we pulled our
room bill up on the TV Screen to check if we had been charged for this,
we were. We simply went back to the desk and they removed the charge. I
would suggest that you check you bill at the end of each day, no matter
where you stay.

Since our children are grown, we were not anxious to stay where their
were going to be a lot of young children. We happened to pick a week
right before the kids were going back to school & found that this was
also a great family Hotel. Lots of kids. Actually the first day, I
thought oh no, but found that we really enjoyed watching all the
families. We checked in on Thurs. & most all the families left on
Sunday, so then it was much less crowded at the pool and pretty quiet.
If you have kids, I encourage you to stay here. If you don't have kids,
then go after the middle of August.

The vendors are on the beach outside of the pool and not allowed on the
grounds. We had a great time w/them and bought several things. They are
very friendly and easy to say NO to. They have parasailing, exercising
classes in the pool, volleyball, artwork classes, massages on the beach
(& in the Hotel Spa). It was great. (or just sit there & watch people
like we did.)

Becky who gave me a massage at the Spa was great. She can give you an
easy massage or a hard stress massage. You have a stress or tight
muscle, she will find it. She even stayed late to work me in. Find that
in the USA.

Here is my Restaurant review: Great food everywhere. There were so many
that we were not able to work in, maybe next time. At the Marina: Las
Palomas - The best salsa, torilla chips, guacamole. Also great Chicken
soup that you add your own ingredients at the table. Fun & good for
lunch.

***** Victor Place - $1 Beer & a shot of Tequilla w/every drink (including Beer) that you get. The best Burrito I have ever eaten. Great Fahitas.

Porta Bella - Italian - Pretty Good. I have had better, but a nice
change of pace from Mexican food.

Downtown:
***** Pipis - Great Mexican food, fun, lively, great service.

*****Cafe de Artiste - Gourmet, indoors (we had a lot of rainy evenings). Excellent. The carpaccio of Beef was wonderful.

Don't eat at: RiverSide Cafe - It was terrible. Mikado (Japanese) at
the Hotel - Not good, & they were rude to several people.

We did not get to try: LaPalapa- (it is on the beach downtown) Rain
stopped us from going there, but understand that it was very good
seafood & unique setting.

LeKliff - Great food, in the mountain, & watch the sunset.

Trio's -Gourmet

Tips: The water is fine anywhere you go. (Within reason) Before you
take a taxi, check the fare before you go, not after you arrive. Make
preparations w/the Hotel for transportation from the airport. Take the
bus to town. It is only 40cents (4 pesos). It is safe, and fun. Get
your money exchanged at the Marina (there is a little dress shop there
(sorry, I can't remember the name, the Exchange Sign sits on the ground
in the door of the shop, it is on the way to Victor Place Restaurant.)
It is a lot more for the money than the Hotel. Actually, I just used
American Dollars for meals & large purchases and thought it was easier,
except w/Vendors, cabs & bus. They really need pesos. You don't need
much. I have never felt safer anywhere. People are great and friendly.
No problems anywhere we went. Taxi & Bus Driving is crazy. Just relax
and look out the side windows. No airconditioning in either.

Wow, what a great Hotel, what a great town, what great food, what great
people. Can't wait to go back. Relax, Smile, Go w/the flow of that part
of the world & Have Fun."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of August 2003

Had a nice time

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"I got back from Puerto Vallarta yesterday. I had a wonderful time. I would highly suggest going there. The hotel is wonderful, they bend over backwards to please you. The beach there is not as nice, it feels like you are walking on a wet sponge. I hear the area was once a marsh land and has been converted to a beach so that me be the reason. The Marriott is a nice place, I had a good time there. If there were any negatives, it would be the beds are way too hard and the walls a bit too thin. I stayed in a "garden view" room, which actually looked over a bunch of construction. The pool is nice and clean and has a bar you can swim up to. I upgraded to an all inclusive package which suited me well. The hotel has 3 restaurants, one is a general restaurant, one is a sports bar, the last is a Japanese. All 3 had good food, but got tired of eating there for a week. Breakfast is the best meal to get there, otherwise the food is good but the same old hum-drum. What the hotel lacked, the city and people made up for.

I think the next time I stay it will either be the Jolla de Mismaloya or Camino Real. They looked liked nice places and had much better beaches.

Hoped this helped in your decision. Puerto Vallarta is a wonderful place...go there!

Barry"

• Travel date: Thu 31st of July 2003

Marriott terrible city fun

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"The first night at the Marriott, my wife and I were robbed. Someone climbed onto our second floor balcony while we were sleeping and took almost everything. The hotel management could not believe it. They reviewed the security tapes and found a 45-minute gap in the tapes (no this wasnt the Watergate). To this day they refuse to admit any fault and wouldnt even comp us a cup of coffee. Though they did allow us to use their phone to cancel all of our credit cards. Beside that first night and a lack of credit cards the city and the people made up for lack of customer services at the Marriott.Go to Puerto Vallarta, but please avoid the Marriott.Chris"

• Travel date: Tue 29th of July 2003