noisy

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"very noisy hotel if you get a room to the street you will not slep, buses (camion in spanish) are very loud and start early, the beds are really hard, no boxspring. the rest where ok good price very clean and friendly staff."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of January 2007

Great Experience!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Belmar Jan. 4-9 2006, it was our first trip to PV and Mexico period and after staying at a larger more upscale Resort in Ixtapa/Zihua over New Years, we were more then happy with our room here. It is a great location and everything and anything you want to experience is all within a 10 minute walk. We did not have A/C in our room, but found with the window open and the huge ceiling fan on med was just right for a good nights sleep, now the noise was there and I did not find it to be unbearable considering I am quite a finicky sleeper, but by the end of the night, after hours of walking and seeing and doing and 1 or 6 too many cervasa's falling asleep was NEVER an issue! There are no elevators in this hotel which is just fine by me as after so much great food and drinks everyday and every night the walk up the stairs was much needed, although it is a bit cumbersome with more then one piece of luggage to drag up and down 3 flights of stairs, but I would not let that stop me from staying there, just an FYI for any people with conditions limiting them in any way. Each floor has its own water cooler sized bottles of purified water for guest use, each room is supplied with a pitcher and some plastic cups. We never had any problem with hot water for showers at all. The beds are rather firm but if you like that then it is perfect! I would suggest either packing with you to bring along or picking up once in PV is a small inexpensice beach blow up mat, two of them side by side on a double bed with an extra blanket under the sheet making up the bed does wonders!! There are no ice machines in the hotel either, which wasnt a problem for us, anything from fresh fruit to ice cold beer to snacks etc is available right outside the Hotel! During more then one mid afternoon siesta my husband and I took turns running across the street for the large "to go" (by "to go" I refer to the option of having your bottle cap pre-opened for you or even poured into a plastic cup!) bottles of beer and sitting on our balcony just people/traffic watching! All buses stop right outside the hotel Belmar as well making is sooo easy to get anywhere! We booked on-line via the hotels website and paid $50 CAD per night just after New Years! For the great location and the great price you can't beat it! I would definately go back again myself and recommend it to anyone looking for clean affordable place to sleep and clean up this is it!"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of July 2006

Excellent Value & Clean

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, using it as a base for seeing P.V. and for hopping on buses to beaches north and south of P.V. Front desk staff were very helpful. As I was in Mexico, I didn't expect them to speak English. With my faltering Spanish, we still managed to communicate OK.

Hot water was available all the time. Hotel felt very safe for a lone female traveller. Coming such a long way from the UK, they made me feel very welcome. I would certainly recommend it (& even re-use it)to anyone who is looking for a bargain hotel without a pool and bar etc.

Book now!"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of March 2006

Good for the Price

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"For the price, this is a nice hotel. I was looking for a place that was clean and safe and cheap. This hotel definitely fit the bill. The staff is friendly and willing to make your stay enjoyable, although they are not fluent in English.

The other reviews are correct, this hotel is on a busy streat and all of the rooms are noisy. First night I stayed in an outside room facing the street. Even with the window closed I could still hear the noise. After the 1st night, they moved me to a single room which faces inside. Slightly less noisy, but still pretty noisy until fairly late in the night. So - bring your earplugs.

Hotel is about 6 blocks from Playa Los Muertos (nearest beach) and does not have a pool. Lots of shops and restaurants nearby as well as taco stands located near the farmacia just 2 blocks away. Cookies and Coffee provided in the mornings. Rooms have cable TV with channels in both English and Spanish.

If you are sensitive to smoke, request an outside room, the smoke rises up the 4-story atrium and into your inside room.

By in large, I feel like I got a good deal."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of March 2006

Great budget hotel!

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"I was pleasantly surprised with this particular hotel. Like the other reviews mentioned, it does get noisy at times, especially with the window open. We were able to sleep through it though since we'd come back exhausted from exploring PV throughout the day.

This is pretty much a hotel with all your basic needs: hot/cold shower, TV. There's no pool and some units had no A/C; ours didn't but with the temperature dipping into the 60s at night and the window open, it seemed just fine.

The staff was extremely helpful, courteous, and friendly. The location was nice as well. Just a quick walk over the River Cuale and not too far a walk to the Malecon. I felt entirely secure leaving important documents locked in my suitcase during the day (there's an option though for those needing a security box).

There are plenty of options for restaurants, food/drink stands, and shopping within walking distance.

Based on our experience, we'd gladly stay at this hotel on a return trip."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of March 2006

Friendly staff, but noisy

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Belmar our first 2 nights in Puerto Vallarta. The woman at the desk was very sweet, even with the language barrier. The location is very convenient to Rio Cuale and good taco stands. A movie theater is right next door. The only real problem was the bus depot right next door, which is open pretty much 24 hours a day. We had a street facing room which didn't help, so it was noisy all night. For the price it was a good deal. Next time I would request a room not facing the street."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of March 2006

In Praise of Maria

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"We booked a room online to stay our first night in Puerto Vallarta and left a note about late arrival. When we showed up at the hotel at 3am (it was a late flight), all the rooms had accidentally been sold. The guy at the desk got on the phone with Maria, the owner -- at a quarter after 3 in the morning! -- and then called all over town to find us another place. When he couldn't find us anything, she put us up in a condo she owned, and paid our taxi fare there. From the other reviews, it looks like you'll be happy staying in this place. If they make a mistake with your reservation, you'll be even happier.

Outstanding service."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of February 2006

Great location and price

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"We used to stay at the Tropicanna, but they were booked over Christmas. I contacted other hotels, but they charge double durring Christmas-New Year's week. I ended up at Belmar and was very happy. Our room was an interior and we didn't have a problem with noise. Our room was on the small side, but the others that I saw were quite nice. The staff was very friendly and the location is fantastic. Great resteraunts nearby and easy to go back to the room if you need to change or rest. I'd stay again."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of January 2006

nice but loud

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Really nice place. good price, friendly people. I stayed there 3 nights and it was very loud every night till about 3 am. Didnt bother me much because i was up late anyway. there was no air conditioning, but there was a fan."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of March 2004

Great stay, a bit noisy

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"I felt like a part of the family at Hotel Belmar. The rooms were immaculate, the staff friendly, and there was purified water on each floor.

You can't beat the price. It was 4 short blocks from the beach, near the "in" bars, and a couple of doors away from the movie theater.

The only problem was the noise. After around 11pm it was fine; however, don't plan on taking an afternoon nap. Bring ear plugs.

Didn't need air conditioning in January. Lots of channels on the t.v. Close to very authentic Mexican restaurants.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions at [email protected] I miss my Belmar family already."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of January 2002