Good

This is a 5 Diamond resort and has to be...

Reviewed Mon 28th of April 2008

"This is a 5 Diamond resort and has to be one of the most amazing places I have every been to, it was heaven on earth, the hotel was amazing the rooms were superb all sea view rooms and we had a garden in the bathroom bizarre but beautiful, the pools were outstanding with un spoilt sea views, the staff were exceptional the attention to detail, politeness, efficiency, help, service I have never experienced anything like it, we literally didnt have to leave our loungers it was 24hr waiter service and they always remembered your names they are an example to any hotel that wants to be in there league, the choice of restaurants French, italian, mexican chinese ect you name it you can get it and there was nothing we didnt like it was a holiday of a lifetime and one we will never forget, we would recommend this to everyone who has a healthy wallet, it is very expensive to stay but worth every penny the hotel & service was priceless. "

• Travel date: Mon 28th of April 2008

Beautiful hotel, too much construction noise

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"I agree with one of the previous posters. This hotel would be 5 stars except for the construction noise that goes sometimes around the clock. If your room sliding door is closed you barely hear it. However it defeats the purpose of the very nice balcony. Another minor problem...the pools are all freezing cold. I think for the rates one is charged, they could heat ,at least, the pool by the swim up bar.

On the positive side, everyone on the staff is wonderful and unobtusive. The service and food were exceptional. We ate at Azul most nights (we were there 10 days) because of the magnificent ocean and sunset views. The food seemed just as good as Frida. Some nights it was a buffet meal, but you could always order anything on the menu (which is extensive). Frida was lovely, but it just semed too much bother to meet the dress requirements on such a layed back vacation. We never tried the Lucca restaurant , but assume it was just as good.

Most of our stay there were maybe 30 guests at the hotel. About a week into it a large corporate group came for 4 days. Their activities never interfered with our stay. Their banquets were held on the beach or on a stage area on one side of the pool. If anything we really enjoyed ourselves dancing to the band they had on the last night and seeing the fabulous fireworks the hotel set off on the beach.

The rooms are huge but seem underfurnished. The bathrooms are quite small and seem to be an afterthough. The DVD player is great! Bring all the DVD's from home that you havn't had time to watch. The spa was very nice, my husband and I each had a fabulous massage.

The construction seems a long way from being finished. I would definitely inquire about its completion date before booking a suite in the future."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of May 2005

Forget 5 Star...this place is a 10!

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"A dream come true. We stayed for 7 days and found paradise. Not one single negative thing. The food was incredible. Look for Luis in "Azul" and around the pool Daniel or Francisco. Exceptional service and great smiles. Frida and Lucca Restaurants were wonderful and look for Rogelio at the Front Desk and Rosa at Activities. No time-share sharks, just relaxation, room service, amazing views and the vacation of a lifetime. Our rooms were deluxe and the attention to detail appreciated. This is the place to go and while you're in PV do the Canopy Tour. We cannot wait to return to the Grand Velas!"

• Travel date: Thu 19th of May 2005

Wonderful honeymoon destination!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Upon picking Mexico for our honeymoon destination, I was very hesitant about the quality of the resort and area, as I have travelled to different Central and South American countries- I was pleasantly surprised that this resort almost made me feel like I had just gone to the beach somewhere in the US- this resort is incredibly americanized- to the point that if you try to speak to the waiters in Spanish, they respond to you in English! The food was great everywhere- we did get one not so great meal through room service, but another night it was perfect. The pool was amazing and so refreshing after a while in the hot sun. Victor was our waiter a couple of days and he was great. Eduardo was the bar tender at the pool bar and he was wonderful, too.

The room we had was perfect, the balcony had a beautiful view- in order to see the construction next door you really had to make an effort to lean over and look! The construction was a bother, though, as they worked all morning, took a break for lunch, and then got back to buzz sawing, etc right in time for me to want an afternoon nap at the pool or out on the balcony. It was extremely jarring to come out of a relaxing spa experience to hear that noise! But other than that the experience was truly everything I wanted for our honeymoon.

Towards the end of our stay, I was thinking how lucky we were to have avoided the groups that I had heard about on this forum- and then, bam, a big group all wearing yellow name tags popped up- we didn't have any problems doing what we wanted to do or getting service like we had before- there were just more people there and we felt a little territorial after having 50 beach lounges to choose from at the beginning of our trip!

Overall, I couldn't have found a better place for our honeymoon- we were able to meet people or spend time alone, go downtown or stay in, and felt like we had a great romantic experience in Mexico!

If anyone has questions, I would be more than happy to answer them, as I found a lot of help on this forum when I was planning my trip!!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of May 2005

Almost perfect except for the construction noise..

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Just returned and I was hesitant to rate the hotel 4 based upon the construction noise, but I think it's important to know. The hammering went on from around 9am to 10 pm the first night and then they actually worked all night the following. The 3rd night they shut down, but I believe that was because the outdoor entertainment was scheduled. This leads me to believe that the hotel can influence the hours of construction.
The rooms are awesome! You have 2 tv's, seperate bedroom, mini bar, ceiling fans, roll out couch and 3 phones. The floors are tile, but it was very quiet. The balcony had a table and 2 chairs as well as 2 padded benches. Room service was quick and just as good as eating at the restaurants. Azul, the beachside buffet restaurant serves all day. We ate at both Frida and Luca and loved them both. You can order anything you want poolside. Imagine looking out at the mountains and water and enjoying sushi on your padded beach chaise. It's heaven!
The spa is huge and they have daily specials. My husband and I had 80 minute massages for around $150 (for both).
Overall a terrific place. Great staff.."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of May 2005

Fabulous Luxury Hotel - but don't let the groups bump you

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"Beautiful hotel, great people/service, excellent all round, luxury experience. This might be the finest hotel property in Mexico. Also, my kids (9 and 5) had a fabulous time.

That being said, I have been a tour operator for 20 years, and I can tell you what the only small problems are. One, groups. While the hotel by and large handles groups effortlessly, they make a big mistake by allowing the groups to block out the two fancier a la carte restaurants, and telling regular clients that they are unavailable for regular guests that are paying $700 per day. I let this go the first time. The second time (which was our last night), I complained and the manager quickly gave me the reservation I requested. Incidentially, the restaurant was only half full when we showed up.

The only other thing is that the coffee can be luke warm as they don't have a warmer to rest the pots on at the service areas around the restaurant. If you get the first cup, you're in great shape. Towards the end, you get a luke warm cup! Small thing that requies a quick fix and I did let the hotel know.

I highly recommend you stay here if you are looking for a luxurious vacation."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of May 2005

Had a great time. Not the Four Seasons, but close

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Spent 5 days in Grand Velas and had a great time. It is by far the best resort in the area. The rooms were nice size and had incredible views. We enjoyed the meals at Frida and Lucca. FYI - they share the same kitchen so you can get whatever you want from either restraunt. Was not crazy about Azul, since I do not care for any type of buffet. We had mixed experiences with room service and housekeeping. THe pool staff was awesome. Suggest you look for Daniel (waiter) when choosing chair by the pool. He was great.

We were lucky enough to go kayaking one morning and has 5 dolphins swim within 2 feet of our boat. The fitness center and spa were much nicer than I expected. When making reservations, definitely inquire about what other groups will be staying. We were lucking enough to have two small groups during our stay and it was not a problem. However, a large group would have been very distracting. Overall, the people and place are great."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of April 2005

Awesome place

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We came here in October 2004 for our Honeymoon and it was the absolute best place. The Hotel was amazing. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The food was great and the view was awesome. They keep the place extremly clean,the landscaping is beautiful. There are activities and entertainment all the time. AWESOME PLACE. We saw several resorts in the area and on the way to Grand Velas and this one is Absolutely the Best!!"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of April 2005

WOW!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"We just returned after a year of anticipation. This resort is absolutely spectacular. The rooms are beautiful, very upscale. The resort itself is gorgeous. The pools, all three, hot, warm and cool, were most enjoyable. The food at Frida is outstanding and picture perfect! They do not book the entire restaurant to its capacity so that each table is given first rate service. Azul has everything you want and more. The Spa is worldclass, relaxing and the attendants make you feel very comfortable. What makes this resort most outstanding is the people working there. They are the most friendly and helpful people we'ver ever met at a resort. They will go out of their way to make you feel like royalty. The all-inclusive is worth every penny. You can have anything you want here, just ask. There are corporate groups having parties on the beach, pool and around the resort, but you can be entertained by their music and festivities even if you're not part of the group. They never interferred with anything we did and we enjoyed watching some of their fun. The food and drink is non-stop. The place is spotless. Definitely worth the trip and many return ones!!! We did not experience any of the very few negative things in other reviews. Go, enjoy and leave your worries behind."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of April 2005

Unforgettable

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"This was the most amazing resort we have ever stayed at. Food, service, suites, everything was fit for royalty. Thanks for a wonderful stay, we will return."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of December 2004

heaven on earth!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Beyond all expectations for a vacation.
Everyone should take an experience like this at least once in their lifetime."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of December 2004