Good

Cutting Edge/First Class All The Way!

Reviewed Tue 1st of January 2013

"Casa Cupula has always been a favorite of mine. They have recently (and successfully) expanded due to popularity, and they have outdone themselves. This is a first-rate establishment with a superior property, outstanding service, professional ownership and management and an unbelievable service-oriented staff. It is worth every penny! Rooms are immaculate and the food service rivals some of the best restaurants in PV. The location is near the beach and the owner has spent mega money to enhance an already gorgous hotel and also to pave the roadway leading to the beach area. As a professional that travels frequently to many fine destinations, Casa Cupula in PV ranks #1 in my book."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of January 2008

Noise and Construction

Reviewed Mon 31st of December 2012

"The good and the bad – the property itself is very lovely all around, the staff is very nice and the rooms are truly 5 star. The pictures don’t lie. BUT it seemed to us that they were more interested in building their new property than running their current one and caring for their guests. There is construction EVERYWHERE and noise starts early in morning and goes way past dark in this very small canyon. We didn’t feel that we could stay on the property during the day and relax at all which is what we came to do, we felt forced to leave for a little peace of mind. We would have to think twice about staying here again because it just wasn’t relaxing … but again the rooms were nice, and the beds were great, I just don’t think we are ready to forgive yet."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of December 2007

great place

Reviewed Wed 2nd of January 2013

"A wonderful gay resort nested on a hill front of the sea....The staff is very helpful, friendly....The situation of casa cupula is perfect because it's not exactly in the "zona romantica", 5 minutes walking, and as it's not on the spot you avoid the crowd. The rooms are very design, not a fake mexican style. I recommand 403 with its own private terrace facing the Pacific....After a week, you feel at home, maybe too much...The only black point is the noise....They finish building a house next to the hotel, thanks god, it should be over very soon....It was my first time in a gay hotel, I was a little bit anxious at the beginning but the staff is very professional, and that's all count. A place to come back..."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of November 2007

1st class overall

Reviewed Sat 29th of December 2012

"We stayed about a week at the CC. Overall it was great. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and the hotel itself is beautiful- great furnishings, artwork, grounds, multiple little pools for dunking. Ask for anything and the staff is happy to provide- drinks at poolside, reservations, etc. It's no doubt the best gay B&B in PV. And it's also a quick walk or cab to the center of gay PV.

Main drawbacks- one minor, one not... Minor: to get down into town, you need to walk along a very busy motorway for at least 1 block...sounds less harrowing than it is... since it's a winding road with big busses and trucks and not much room to walk (no sidewalk), so there's nowhere to step off except into a ditch. Cabs are cheap and plentiful, but it's nice to be able to walk into town and back. Less minor: construction noise- the canyon in which it is situated has at least 4-5 building projects underway, including one that Casa Cupula is building next door. So lots of noise and some dust from 9am til sunset every day. Makes a peaceful day at poolside not very peaceful. If you're a beach person and won't be around during daylight, no problem. Otherwise, you better bring earplugs."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of November 2007

Wonderful place!

Reviewed Mon 7th of January 2013

"Casa Cupula exceeded our expectations in quality and service. The hotel is beautiful and intimate. The hotel restaurant is excellent, too. This is by far the best small, gay hotel to stay at in Puerto Vallarta."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of November 2007

Lovely spot, nice people...highly recommended.

Reviewed Sun 30th of December 2012

"I just spent 7 days at Casa Cupula. It was a wonderful place with a relaxed atmosphere, excellent service, personal charm, and a very pleasant, nice group of guests. The view from the upper level rooms and the rooftop pool is beautiful. The walk down the hill to the restaurants and bars is very short and easy. Walking back up the steps and hill is only uncomfortable in the heat of the day or the dizzy haze of too many drinks after dinner. In either case, 3 minutes and $3 will provide you with a comfortable, safe taxi ride home. Blue chairs beach is a short few blocks walk or a very short taxi ride away.

There is a lot of construction going on nearby and all through the Romantic Zone so daytime construction noise is prevalent. One can always go to the beach during the day if the noise heard on the decks and by the pool is a bother. I was never bothered by noise in the early morning or evening and I slept like a baby on the comfortable bed. Casa Cupula would be a great choice for anyone looking for nice accomodations and service in a gay friendly atmosphere in a great location."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of October 2007

Slice of Heaven

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"We stayed at Casa Cupula 5 days over Easter weekend this year. Everything about the place is first rate, from bathroom amenities (full-size bottles of salon-level shampoo, great soap, generous towels, free condoms) to the bed linens, artwork, and service.

Darrique the manager is really fun and interesting to talk to, and knows all the best restaurants. Alex and Oscar were memorably helpful, but everyone on the staff smiles and interacts and makes you feel welcome. Really great location, fabulous accommodations, cute, friendly staff... what else could you want?"

• Travel date: Mon 17th of September 2007

Great place, bad timing

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Just back from a week at Casa Cupula. They've created a truly stunning place there. The service was excellent, the rooms gorgeous, walk to beach was easy, the food was well done...and fab margaritas.

Just be warned if you're going during the week: there is construction all around, not just on the Casa Cupula site. And because it's located in a canyon-type setting, the noise echoes all around. The staff is constantly apologizing and do their best to put you in most insulated room, where they even provide earplugs. The unfortunate thing is it drives you away during the day -- darn have to go to the beach. But if you're looking to hideout at the resort on weekday, it's not that pleasant. Construction stops on Sat and Sun.

We can't wait to go back to Casa Cupula. It's finally an upscale, high end gay guesthouse in PV. Long overdue. We'll just make sure we get a construction status when we book."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of June 2007

Casa Cupula is wonderful

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"For a gathering of gay folks, Casa Cupula is the perfect place to stay. My friends and I rented nearly all the rooms for a week and it was a blast -- like our own private villa.

Very comfortable/clean rooms, extremely helpful and attentive staff, delicious food, air conditioning, easy walk to the beach. Way better than the Blue Chairs and other places right on the water. I highly recommend Casa Cupula."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of May 2007

The Best..not only in PVR but possibly world

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"I have been in Travel for 16+ years. Casa Cupula is by far the best Gay resort I have found in the world and tops many of the mainstream hotels. When going to PVR if you dont stay here....dont go! Staff was what every resort should aim for. Rooms (We stayed in 2 different ones) were INCREDIBLE!! Views...AMAZING!!! Price....perfect for the resort. Higher than others locally but worth every penny.

If you guys ever open other properties let us know so we can make our reservations. You have clients for life with us!"

• Travel date: Wed 28th of February 2007

Easily the best place to stay in Puerto Vallarta

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"This was not only the best gay hotel I've ever stayed with, but one of the best hotel experiences of my life, period. You'll read in other postings here about the beautiful property, views and amenities at Casa Cupula - they're all true. The food was first-rank as well - some of the best I had in P.V. It really is an oasis unto itself - quiet, relaxing as hell and not missing a thing.

But in some respects the best part of the stay is the staff. The owner and manager, Don and Darrique, have clearly gone out of their way to make the place 1st class, and their efforts show. Oscar, the "majordomo" of the property, is one of their best assets, and is an integral part of what makes a stay there outstanding. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone work harder or take their duties more seriously (while maintainng a cheerful attitude and a smile on his face) than Oscar. I was there a week this past February, and told everyone I know that it was one of the classiest places I've ever encountered. The entire staff were gracious, friendly and worked hard to provide a great experience.

And as for the evening social, well, I was off in P.V. being a tourist, so I can't comment. But I never experienced any noise or attitude problems. And I'm going back for my second stay this March (again for a week.)

Not cheap - definitely. Worth it? Infinitely. And the view from the terrace as you're drinking your first drink of the evening is like no-where else on Earth.

Erik
Santa Clara, CA"

• Travel date: Wed 14th of February 2007

Best thing in Puerto Vallarta!!

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"I've just come back from a wonderful stay at Casa Cupula. The hotel and the staff were the best part of my trip to Puerto Vallarta. This was one of the few times the actual hotel looked BETTER than the pictures on the website. The staff made me feel extremely welcome. Like I was staying with close friends, but being treated as a valued customer.

The atmosphere is relaxed and luxurious without being pretentious.

I've stayed at 'gay' hotels in different parts of the world and this was by far the best.

The staff is extremely helpful with suggestions about what to do and where to go.

I must give a huge thanks to Alex, Oscar, Darrique, Gabriel and Poncho. They are each wonderful in thier own way. I will for sure come back and stay with them again.

I'm telling everyone in NYC if they go to PVR they must stay at Casa Cupula.

Hint: Book early, and splurge on a suite!"

• Travel date: Sun 7th of January 2007