Fantastic time at the Maya

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"My wife and I just returned from a week's stay at the Maya and we are very impressed. Do not believe some of the other reviews, this is *not* a resort under construction (yes they are building a golf course but I didn't hear of see a single thing related to that all week, there is a small jungle between the resort and whatever they are doing there).

Having been involved in a few construction projects, I was very impressed with the fit and finish and general quality of the interior construction throughout. No expense was spared (check out the copper ceiling in the lobby!!!) and it is grandiose.

I hope they got a good deal on marble, because it is everywhere. The designer touches are omnipresent with beautiful wood carvings, an incredible number of fountains and custom light fixtures. Every day I would discover something new just roaming through the place.

Each "building" has its own couryard with a different design theme. Some of the buildings also have private pools for the occupants if you prefer seclusion. All rooms have an amazing all-marble bathroom with small jacuzzi, what seemed to be a 28 or 32 inch Zenith flat CRT TV (with front A/V inputs including S-Video for your Digital Camera or camcorder) with lots of channels (you will *not* be able to see current eposides of your shows, you see older stuff in English with Spanish subtitles), DVD player (HINT: BRING YOUR OWN DVDs!!!), sunken living room and balcony.

One note on the rooms. We were given a ground floor room initially and asked for another room. The second room was Ok (save for a defective lock that they promptly fixed) except that it had a communicating door with the adjacent room. Kids of adjacent family woke us up a little too early due to lack of soundproofing of adjoining room doors. We asked and were given another room after check-out time. I strongly suggest that you make sure that you are *not* given a communicating room unless you specificly ask for one. Room number 3 was perfect, on the third floor of building 64.

The food, for an all-inclusive, was outstanding. We stayed on the Maya side of the food all week. The Japanese puts on a great show, it was good except I wish they offered Teriyaki sauce for the meat. This is also a place to meet other guests as the seating around the grill table is for approximately 15 people. The French-style gourmet L'Étoile is outstanding for both its decor as well as the food and the service. Ate some amazing Duck there and the Mexican Cabernet Sauvignon is surprisingly good (thankfully as it is the only red wine available!). We also discovered a "stealth" cheese bar-on-wheels that is not advertised nor on the menu but available to anyone who asks. Note: the portions are those you would expect in a French restaurant so if you are a hearty eater, make sure you have a generous afternoon snack. La Marina, the mediterranean that also serves as breakfeast buffet, was Ok but certainly skipable. Their tuna steak was beyond belief in portion but unfortunately it was overcooked. Other offerings including the seafood combination with shimp and lobster seemed much better. El Rancho, the steakhouse, has simply amazing meat. Their filet mignon melts in the mouth. They also have an exceptional entree selection with includes very large shrimp, perfectly cooked. We ate twice at El Rancho and L'Étoile. Skip El Tapatio, the Tex-Mex. Difficult to understand why Mexicans would not excel in Tex-Mex cooking.

Being a big beach fan, I ate lunch most of the time at the on-beach grill hut, featuring excellent burgers, grilled meats as well as nachos and cheese. Unbelieveably they had a huge pot of capers (my favorite condiment) right there at the beach so I was a happy camper.

Just when we thought we had seen it all, a bunch of chefs cooked for us on Thursday, right on the beach on a bed of charcoal, a huge paella in a 6 foot dish complete with all types of seafood including huge shrimp and entire lobster tails. Enough food for 300 people. They apparently do this only once every two weeks. The Starband played for a couple of hours on the beach during the whole party and a sangria tent was set up nearby to quench thirst.

Let's talk watersports. They have a fleet of about 7 Hobie 14 foot Catamarans. These are idiot-proof sailboats great for this application. Being an accomplished sailor I would have wished for something higher performance, but I know how fragile "real" catamarans are. You get one hour per day per water sport (Hobie, windsurfing, ocean kayak) but there are ways of getting around that (hint: the employee cafeteria is very far from the beach...). They have some decent windsurfing
gear however, including at least one small "sinker" from Mistral and some mylar sails with harness lines (ask and they will lend you a harness too). They have both single and dual ocean kyaks and always have plenty on hand. Free Scuba Diving tryouts in the pool every day. The Parasailing is something like $120 US for two people for 15 minutes. They have scuba expeditions on a paying basis as well but I did not check those out.

Beach. Finally a place that understands what a proper beach should be. Tons of brand new sunbathing chairs and more palapas (straw huts) that you can shake a stick at. No need to go early to the beach to get shade. Plenty of palapas to go around. They clean the beach every morning and night. No seeweed lying around, no junk, just a very clean beach and real flushing toilets behind the beach bar.

Personal Security. This place is serious about your personal security. The watersports are closely monitored by the watersports staff and lifeguards (they *could* use a Jetski to rescue people, relying on the Parasail boat is lame). Security personel are constantly patroling the beach. Someone made a killing selling Walkie-Talkies to this resort!

Health Care. I was blown away to see that there is a 24 hour medical clinic on site WITH ITS OWN AMBULANCE. Makes you feel safe to know that it's there.

Pools. Pools galore including lazy river, really big pool with swim-up bar, two hottubs and The Wave Pool runs every hour for 10-15 minutes and it's a blast. There are a couple of smaller private pools for Maya guests only. Only complaint (and it's a big one) is lack of heating of the pools. I don't understand why such a place would not use heat extracted from the A/C systems to heat the pool. Only one of the hottubs was heated and perhaps only to 92F. The ocean was warmer than the pools. I estimate the pools where at 82F or less.

Internet Access. There is an Internet Café near the "Pyramid" bar and the cost if $3 US (30 pesos) for 15 minutes. That's expensive but the good thing is that it did keep *me* away from the computer all week and that is a very good thing in itself.

Entertainment. The Lindo's beautiful covered outdoor theather is the setting for a show every night. We very much enjoyed the Mexican Folklore night which involved a lot of fancy tap dacing. If there is one show you should not miss, it is this one. For the rest well this is not Las Vegas and the shows are not the reason for coming here in the first place. One suggestion I would have would be to show movies one night on the dual giant video screens. "Movie Night" did not involve showing movies and the screens usually showed unrelated concert video footage without sound. Odd... I suggest bringing along DVDs unless you prefer the bar scene (the Acuario bar in the Lindo has a beautiful cylindrial aquarium). We tried to hit the disco at the Del Mar at around 11:00pm but it was dead. Apparently the Starband plays there on some nights but we missed it. There are some antics by the pool during the day but hey I was at the beach most of the time and I don't want to reveal all of the suprises. For the beach I had my
XM Satellite radio Roady2 running off a rechargeable battery so I had the ultimate "walkman" setup with extra set of earphones for my wife. Worked great with the tiny antenna just lying on the sand.

Service. Outstanding service, just don't assume that you can have a conversation in english with everyone. The concierges at each building have good english skills but it goes rapidly down hill from there. The staff is incredibly polite (all members of the staff greet you with a smile and Hola any time you cross paths), their uniforms are very nice (kudos to their designers once again, a small detail very well executed) and their service is excellent and attentative. We gave tips (ranging from 1$ US to 5$ US) here and there when we felt we received exceptional service. No one ever "hung around" for a tip and honestly I did not witness much tiping going on. We tipped the maid once $20 for the week and had towel animals and drawn bath with flower petals the same day. Tried the room service too one night and found that they did not deliver drinks. The mini bar only had a couple of beers in it (+ soda pop and water) so you can't make your own rhum&cokes !

Drinks. My only complaint is that it was not possible to have real fruit dacquiries and such (perhaps at the juice bar, WOW, near the wave pool, but that is far from the beach). If I would have been paying $6 for a drink then I would have expected some real fruit, but I don't know if any other all-inclusives offer this anyhow. What you get is flavored slush but hey it's not bad and I'm more of a beer drinker anyhow (happen to drink Dos Equis in Canada so I was right at home there!).

Excurions. Free shuttles to Playa Del Carmen offered by Iberostar. My wife likes Playa del Carmen. I went to see what all the fuss was about but came back disappointed that I missed a few hours at the beach for nothing. There is nothing to see (except perhaps the Aviary) there and there is much more fun to be had at the Maya/Lindo anyway. Decided not to go to Xel-Ha as the water temps and outdoor temps were more appropriate for beaching than snorkling. I say enjoy the resort!

Conclusion. An incredible execution of the all-inclusive luxury suites concept by Iberostar. Totally recommended."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of February 2005

Great resort. Fun time. Still opening.

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"My wife and I just returned from a business/leisure trip to the Iberostar Maya and had a great time. We have traveled to several locations in the Carribean including Breezes in Curacao and two different Iberostar's in Mexico. The Maya will prove to be an excellent resort but we are only giving it a four out of five at this time since it is still somewhat under construction. It was as nice as the other Iberostar we stayed at and much nicer than the Breezes. They do keep the appearance of the construction out of your way but the golf course was not yet open and there was a lack of animals and wildlife due to the fact it has only been open for a couple of months and they are still working on different phases of the resort.

The staff was very kind and seemed to speak a bit of English, at least enough to get by. The service at the pool was excellent as the staff was always around. The bars were plentiful but they do serve only draft beer and local wines and mixed drinks (no bottled beer or foreign wines). The activities on the beach are fun as they have beach vollyball and a number of non-powered watercraft. The pool's are huge and all over the place so you would not have to go far to find a spot near the water. All the pools here are shared with the sister resort, The Iberostar Lindo, next door but when I say next door it is actually about 100 yards away and you can enjoy the shopping, bars and restaurants at both with the all-inclusive plan. The swim up bar was huge and could accomodate at least 50 people.

The restaurants were average for most resorts like this. We heard terrible things about the seafood restaurant, had an average meal at the steakhouse, had a good meal at the Japanese restaurant and a great meal at El Museo. The buffets are what you would expect but you will be able to drink the water here and we heard of no reports of anyone feeling ill. In fact, of all 22 in our party noone got sick. The room was clean and everything in it was obviously new. 25 inch TV's, whirlpool tubs, private balconies with hammocks, etc.

Still a new resort getting their stuff together but we would recommend this resort and would return again...hopefully on the company's dime as it is not cheap."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of February 2005

awesome!!!!

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"My wife and i just returned from our holiday in Playa.We were booked to stay at the Lindo,but on our arrival were asked if we would like a free upgrade to the Maya and of course we accepted.I wont ramble on about this resort only to say that unless you are EXTREMELY picky you will love this place.the Maya&Lindo share most facilities,pools,restaurant,etc.Although we didnt stay at the Lindo it looks equally impressive.We found the food at both the buffet&alacarte restaurants to be quite good.The staff are very friendly!We went for many walks on the beach & found the Iberostar resort beach to be the best by far!
So dont worry you will have a great time.
If you have any questions you can Email([email protected])"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of January 2005

beautiful

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Just got back this weekend from the Maya. What a place, as others have mentioned it is just beautiful no matter which way you look. You always see someone cleaning. Our maid was great. she had the mini fridge stocked with our favorite drinks made the towel animals which was very nice. Room was very large and very clean. came with large tv dvd(never Used) and a large jacuzzi, which was drawn for us on a few occaisions.room and sevice a1.
location of room- main floor near maid serice and help desk. I found a little bit noisy.we did not ask for a change as we had 2 other couples in the same building. if i was going again I would go up to 2nd or 3rd floor and closer to the ocean. we were in building 6200.
Food was average to great. we enjoyed a different a la carte every night. 7 nights could not do them all. We enjoyed the japanese restaurant for the food and overall experience. least favorite would have been steak house. But were from western canada I think best beef in the world. Enjoyed the Italian resturant also had the best wine I thought. different red offered at each restaurant all were OK . sevice was great at all . Never went hungry lots of variety . If I did not care for main course.( Duck- Ribs) I was full from all the other things anyways.
Breakfast buffets great. Lindo slightly better we thought. food would be b+ based on beef and some of my personel tastes. Gained 6 pounds in 6 full days. friends had room service every night quick and enjoyed the flat pizza.
Drinks- plenty of places to go. good variety. never watered down . I would like a better selection of rye. no crown royal or wisers. I saw very little tipping yet the service was always excellent. overall an A

Entertainment was good very family orientated. in large hall.
some nice enterertainers in lobby bar.
We used all hotels moved to different bars and restaurants for free as we came from maya. maya, lindo, beach and del mar were all side by side. we even went to cozumel and enjoyed the iberostar for the day all inter changeable as we were from the maya.
Are friends were booked at Lindo and asked for a so called upgrade to maya. and they were allowed to with no addition cost . They had been iberostar guests before , so that may have helped..
Great place, great beach, great service. I will come again with the kids next time as I thought they had great kids programs."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of January 2005

Awsome place

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"We returned from our trip on Jan 20 and had a blast! The hotel was beautiful and pictures of it don't do it justice. You have to see it for yourself. They keep the entire resort very clean. The restaurants were very very good...we ate at Japanese (Maya), Cajun, and Gormet at Lindo. The service and presentation were superb. We asked the waiters what they recommended we eat (since they eat there themselves) and we were very pleased. My favorite was the Gormet. It was so classy and elegant. Some of our friends stayed over at "The Beach" and complained about the buffets having flies...since they were outside. We didn't have that problem on our side.

You do have to do a lot of walking at the resort, but this is good for you since the food is so plentiful. One night we missed dinner at the hotel, because we went to town, so we ordered roomservice late. We called it in from the lobby, after the taxi ($17 from town) dropped us off, and by the time we got to our room and changed clothes, it was there. Pizza and Pork tacos hit the spot after drinking Mojitos all night.
We had a great time in town at Sr. Frogs and Carlos & Charlies. The waiters made sure of it. The beach behind our hotel was so pretty and the water gorgeous. The guys played in the waves like kids but us girls thought it was a bit cold. The temp was lower than usual the days we were there but it was still warm enough for a bathing suit if you were dry. We played volleyball on the beach and had a great time with that.
The resort is huge and its easy to get lost. The Bell boys have golf carts that you can ride if you want to go next door, to the spa, or back to your room. All you have to do is ask them. We stayed in Buliding 61 because we heard it was a good location but no matter where you stay you will have to walk to the lobby area for the awesome breakfast or walk to the beach or to dinner so it doesn't really matter which building you are in. They are all close to the pool since the pool area is so large.

All of us got massages or facials at the spa (located between Lindo and Beach hotels) and enjoyed them. My husband had one on the beach ($30 for 30 Min) and loved it. I had the Mud Therapy Massage and it was wonderful ($80). They had a pretty good deal, for $90 you can pick 2 things for 1 1/2 hours. ( eg. Facial, reflexology) We used the Steam sauna to detox the alcohol from the night before and it was nice. Warning... I told them that there was a man in the changing/bathroom area and she said, "No, no men allowed". I took her back there and showed her there was a man there and she said "he no man, he only cleaning"....but it was a man cleaning the place, and I didn't like that. I had to chase him out.

The Lobby area of the Lindo is so pretty. I was glad to have the jacuzzi in our room (Maya) since the nights were so chilly but if I returned in the summer I think the Lindo would be good enough. No need to pay extra for Maya. I have noticed the prices going up and up.

The only bad thing is that we booked with Fun Jet and they decided to change our departure time to 4 hours earlier without warning. I know you are suppose to verify your flight time 24 hours in advance but almost no one did....Evidently they had changed the time before we even left Houston for our trip. Our friends were stopped by someone that recognized them and gave them the news, so they told us. We left Houston on time and all was okay but coming home since they moved our time from 3:40 to to 11:30 it cut into our last day. We were not at all happy about it. We had planned to go to the pool, have lunch and then leave. Instead we had to rush off after breakfast and almost missed the bus to the airport. I'm sure that most of the travelers missed the flight because there were only 35 people on our flight home. The flight attendant said that they may have to go back and pick up the missing people but they would have to go through Dallas first and would get back really late. I wonder what happend to those people???? I wonder what would have happened had we missed the flight home....since it is a Charter, there were no other flights scheduled that day to Houston. I would recommend flying Continental rather than Fun Jet because you are left at their mercy when they change their times or something goes wrong with a plane. The reason we took the Charter was because we liked the hour that it returned home and because it was a little cheaper, but they made us leave early and miss part of our last day which was very dissapointing.

Other than the flight change, we had a wonderful time and I would highly recommend the Maya or Lindo to you."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of January 2005

fantastic ambience !

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"If you want a "grand" hotel with fantastic Mexican decor , this is the hotel for you. My husband and I just returned on the 20th of January and even though the hotel is spanking new and still needs some finishing touches, we enjoyed ourselves immensely. The rooms are huge and luxurious and the hotel grounds are very atmoshperic with beautiful landscaping and sculptures distributed everywhere. You have to like walking ( although you can take a shuttle). I found the spaciousness of this resort great as we could get away from everyone when we wanted too. We also really enjoyed the bar, situated inside the Mayan pyramid (Chitzen-Itza replica) with the nightly solo singers and musicians. The nightly entertainment at the Lindo Iberostar was the same as anywhere else- tiresome.

The food was about the best we've had at an all-inclusive as we were able to enjoy 9 a la carte restaurants between the Lindo and the Maya, so there was great variety. Our favorites were the Japanese and the Museo restaurants. The beach is expansive and pristine and great to walk along. This time around the sea water was a little rough , but that can change in an instant. Make sure you bring a sweater/jacket for the evenings as the temperature at night really drops. The wave pool at the Lindo was a real treat for adults as well as children. I too found the pools cold and I wonder why they are not heated during the day.

If I have to complain about anything it would lack of information about the daily activities - not really posted very well. I also think that they should incorporate daily round-robins for tennis at 4 p.m. - having lessons/drills from 8a.m. to 10p.m. is way too early for me! Most of the restaurants, especially the Medditeranean restaurant, are highly lit for dining in the evening which kills the atmosphere.

As for outside excursions, make sure you reserve a whole day for xel-pa and try and get an 1/2 day excursion for Talum. An hour and a half is not enough time to take in the sights and swim in this incredible location. If you go on a bus tour take extra money for a cab as they will not wait for you if you are more than 10 minutes late! Our tour left two people behind !

I made a comment to the front desk about leaving a bright light on at night inside the cage where parrots and budgies reside near the front walk-way. I commented that it was cruel as bright lights prevent the birds from sleeping. Within an hour the light was turned off and I checked again on subsequent evenings and the light was turned off. So you see, the administration is responsive to comments if you are reasonable. We would go back in an instant and our real regret is that we didn't stay an additional week!"

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of January 2005

Great stay at the Maya!

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"Just returned from our vacation at the Paraiso Maya and wanted to write a review since I found this site helpful when selecting our vacation spot!
The hotel, grounds, pools, beach and rooms were just fantastic! My dtr enjoyed the jacuzzi "baths" and the suite was roomy and clean!! The maid service was great, always had clean towels and plenty of water and drinks stocked in the refrigerator.
I have to say the while there were some communication issues, all of the employees were very friendly and work very hard to keep the resort beautiful. The wait staff at the restaurants were also hard working, especially when there are many guest to take care of.
The Japanese restaurant was by far the absolute best! The buffets were ok, and I think they need to improve on the temperature of the food, sometimes lukewarm to cold. I also recommend that you go the Lindo Italian restaurant for the breakfast buffet that starts at 7am. An outrageous selection!! We stayed in Bldg 60 and the breakfast buffets in the restaurants closest to us were so-so.
I also felt that we missed activities/events in the Maya and Lindo because we just didn't know about them. There were no printed brochures/maps of events and activities.
The kids show at 8:15 in the Lindo was enjoyed by my daughter, but I think they need to vary the activities! Pretty much the same every night!
The beach, with the huts and lounges, were great and clean! But even tho there is a sign that says "no reserving lounges", people do and it is hard to find an open one without towels reserving it if you are not out there early am!
Also, a note for outside of resort activities...we took the combined Tulum and Xel-ha. The transportation was difficult, had to go to several other hotels and pick up/drop off. Even had to pull over to a service station to transfer some people to another bus. We only had about an hour on our own to tour Tulum. Even tho it was spectacular, I feel it was rushed and almost not worth the effort. On the other hand, Xel-ha was great! Snorkeling was super! Lots to do there and we really didn't get a chance to see most of the "park" because of time. I wish we had selected the whole day at Xel-ha that is available!
By far, this was a great vacation and hope you have a great time too!"

• Travel date: Thu 20th of January 2005

Maya off to a good start

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My family stayed at the Maya from Dec 26-Jan 2 we have two boys under 10. Physically, the Hotel is unbelievably beautiful and clean. One thing we came to understand is that the Maya and the Lindo are basically the same Hotel: the pools and restaurants are in the middle and the Lindo is on one side then the Maya on the other. The Maya has a few restaurants that are exclusively for Maya guests but overall... everyone shares everything else........The rooms are very nice and the maid service was OK for us.

The beach is great although the waves were quite high during our stay. The pools, however gorgeous, were too cold in our opinion - perhaps because the weather was not hot enough to warm them up properly.(it was about 25-28C and partly cloudy most of the time). It was a shame to see these beautiful pools surrounded by hundreds of people and no one was swimming except for a few brave kids!

The food was average to good. Not enough variety at the buffets and not enough kid friendly choices at the restaurants. The whole restaurant reservation thing was a bit of a joke - we were told that there was no space available, yet we would walk by and the restaurants we never more than 1/3 full at any given time..........I understand the whole tunover thing but that was ridiculous.

We hired a babysitter one night and she was great ! The shows were cheesy but fun. They were on at 9:45pm which we found a bit late for the under 10 crowd..they had a kids show at 8 which our kids loved.

We were also disapointed by the hospitality room on our last day.(no towels...cold water.........no one seemed to know where to get towels............) whatever...

Overall, this is a great Hotel..if you like grand architechture and fancy buildings you will love this place. I'm sure that with time most of the problems will dissapear. I would go back."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of January 2005

New Years at the Maya

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Our family of 5 stayed at the Maya from Dec. 29- Jan. 5., two adults and 3 boys from 13 - 23. The resort is truely beautiful in terms of architecture and landscpaping and always immaculate. The beach is picture perfect with waves that are better than a roller coaster, but watch out for the coral patches as they are hard on the toes. We were amazed that even at this peak time nothing was ever crowded, except at the New Years Eve Bash. The breakfast buffet by the lobby has great fresh juices: watermelon, papaya, banana, as well as the usual varieties. The diced fruit bowl was also a wonderful way to start the day. The bacon was the best we have ever had. Great selection of well prepared food. We enjoyed the grill on the beach that offered surprisingly delicious grilled steak, chicken, pork chops, hamburgers and hot dogs as well as salad stuff and chips and cheese. The guacamole was the best and we smeared it on everything. The drinks at the beach were great to wash away the salty ocean. I loved painting bowls and plates on the beach by the Del Mar. The guy touches up your creation to make it look really professional. It is my best souvenir. If your kids want henna tatoos get them on the beach by the DelMar. We had one done in Playa that wore off by the end of the day.
The waves were HUGE each day so no chance for snorkling. My husband loved the massage on the beach - $45 for 30 min. For New Year's Eve the buffet offered vats of cold and grilled lobster as well as anything else you could possibly think of. Truely fabulous. As for the specialty restaurants we loved the Gourmet where the presentation is as memorable as the food, the Japanese which is great fun, the Italian with great lamb chops, and the Cajun with the famous coconut shrimp. The Steak House was disappointing with the mushy baked potato and shriveled corn on the cob which I think is due to a lack of understanding on their part of just how we Americans make those items. The steak was ok and the blooming onion was fine. We had no problem getting into any restaurant or switching when we changed our minds. The menu at the Mediterranian looked really bad and it was always basically empty. The concierge told us to go there if we liked seafood but when you look at the menu it is largely odd fish dishes prepared it novel ways. The Fondue Restaurant is now closed due to lack of interest. You could always make a meal out of the appetizer and dessert buffets if you did not like anything on the menu. We very much liked the food and we are picky eaters!
Room service was good, hamburgers, pizza, hot dogs, salad and a few desserts. Slow often times but good. Our maid dervice was spotty, one day only with numerous calls to the desk. No chocolates, wash cloth animals or turn down service in our room. It seems that any frustrations we had were due to the difference in cultures and expectations. No big issues just different standards. Most of the workers do not speak any English which does not help.
Playa Del Carmen offered the best prices and selection for Mexican goodies. The big bottle of Kahlua for $8 and beautiful opal and silver jewelry for 1/3 of what they wanted at the airport, if you barter. Airport prices are ridiculous on most everything. If you buy from the vendors at the resort who set up at night, you can get your items for 1/2 of what they ask if you hang in there.
The tours offered by Funjet and Apple are very expensive for what you get. The resort offers much to do so you can be more than adequately entertained there. We had an amazing time and will return. If you are rigid and demanding you will get frustrated as this is Mexico and people and expectations are different. If you can differentiate between what is a big deal and what is a detail you will do fine. Great place, great food, good people and breathtaking location. Feel free to e- mail me with questions."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of January 2005

Great Family Vacation

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"We just returned from a week during Christmas and New Years with our 14 year old to the new Iberostar Paraiso Maya in Riviera Maya. We had stayed at the Lindo last Easter, but the Maya was better. First off, the restaurants at the Maya were surprisingly exceptional with a great selection of restaurants. We are very picky eaters. The restaurants at the Lindo last Easter were really bad. Breakfasts and lunches are buffet with an adequate selection. We had a suite at the Lindo, but the suites at the Maya were nicer(Maya is all suites). Large bathrooms with jacuzzi tub. The service was excellent and the beaches were really nice. It was extremely crowded over Christmas week and we had to go out at 7:00 a.m. to get pool chairs in a desirable location (the Lindo and Maya share pool areas). The beach in front of the Maya was much less crowded than the Lindo. Pool area is great for kids with wave pool and lazy river. The only thing really lacking was the entertainment at night. The shows were not so good and there is really nothing to do after dinner. All in all, it was a great family place to go and we will return when the Palace opens next Christmas."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of January 2005