Restaurant

Good

Enjoyed Mazatlan and hotel had pros and cons

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"We read the many reviews and found our hotel nice.The bed was the worst. The mattress is on a concrete slab and it just isn't thick enough.We didn't eat on the property.OUr room was nice with a pool and marina view.The pool was ok but we spent more time at the el cid castillo pool and walked on the beach.The shuttle between the marina and the other hotels was convenient.We enjoyed a restaurant/bakery called Panama's most mornings.The bus system is fun and the drivers are helpful.WE are looking forward to going back, however we will stay at the Pueblo Bonito, Emerald Bay.We took the timeshare tour and the incentives and found this property fantastic..."

• Travel date: 11th March 2004

Best beach in Mazatlan

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"We spent 10 days there in July and thought it was wonderful! Compared to the other nice hotels on the beach, this hotel was the best. It's beach is as private as can be in a country where is there no such thing as a private beach. There were hardly any beach vendors at all. The clubhouse at the beach had nice bathrooms, and there were plenty of lounge chairs under palapas. Beach towels were provided on site, and the waiters served us lunch on the beach EVERYDAY! It was heaven. Our unit was a one bedroom that was large. We had a seperate bedroom for my husband and myself, while the kids had the living room with two sofas, one for each of them. We also had a small kitchen. The bathroom was fine with 2 seperate sink areas and an enormous shower. The pools were great and there was always something going on. As a guest there, you can use all of the other El Cid hotel facilities. I used the fitness center at the Granada every morning. Their shuttle service to the sister hotels made it easy to get around for no cost. I'd stay there again for sure."

• Travel date: 10th March 2004

loved it, but hated the food!

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"The property is beautiful. My husband and I had a great time, however the food is just awful. I mean everything they have there is bad. And, the weirdest part is that they have no Mexican food. You go to Mexico to experiance the culture and all they do is a poor imitation of the U.S."

• Travel date: 26th February 2004

Great place

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"My family has had a timeshare at the Marina El Cid for many years now, and we keep going back because it is such a nice place to have a vacation. The rooms are always clean and although other reviews say that the room never got cold enough, I have never had this problem. I don't know what the deal is with the review about the refrigerator either. They seem like regular refrigerators to me. The service is always wonderful, and the employees are all very nice and polite. Mazatlan is a great place to go if you want a nice relaxing vacation, or just as great if you want a place where you can go party like crazy. The deep sea fishing great. We catch lots of fish almost every time we go. The food is not what I would call excellent, but I still think it is great. The pools have been clean every time I have gone, with the exception of a little sand on the bottom from the near by beach, but I dont see how thats a problem. The pool with the cave is awsome. It may be a little cool, but now way is it too cold to swim in. All in all I think the Marina El Cid is a great place to go for anyone who is ready to have a nice vacation. I will continue to spend my vacations there."

• Travel date: 12th February 2004

Great Atmosphere

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"We have just returned from Christmas in Mazatlan and our stay at the Marina El Cid Yaught club was top notch. The staff in all areas were second to none. From the moment we arrived until we left we felt welcome. Our vacation at this facility was most memorable and we look forward to our next visit."

• Travel date: 7th January 2004

Loved El Cid Yacht Club Resort

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"The El Cid Marina and Yacht Club Resort is wonderful. We just returned home from our third stay at this resort and it was very relaxing. The units are immaculate, the hospitality of the staff is wonderful and the food is good. We definitely will stay here again!"

• Travel date: 2nd January 2004

Grows on You

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"We just returned from a two-week stay at the El Cid Marina. I have to disagree with some previous reviews - the timeshare people are there, no question, and they try to sell you on the hotel, but after we told them in no uncertain terms that we were not interested, they never bothered us again. Be warned though - when you check in and accept a carnation and an invitation to breakfast, they will phone you the next morning to remind you if you are wishy-washy at all about attending. We were travelling with two small children - aged 3 and 5, and this hotel was very good for them. We were in a 1-bedroom suite which had plenty of room for all of us. It was actually quite spacious. At first we thought the room was not cleaned very well, but on inspection, it is really just the workmanship (paint on the mirrors, etc) that is the problem. The suite was cleaned excellently every day. We were on the European (no meals) plan, and this is the way I would recommend. The mini-kitchen is very convenient and the store at the hotel is very comparably-priced to others in the area. We had breakfast in the room most days and then ventured out for lunch and dinner. I would not recommend the hotel meals for more than a few times - there are much better meals to be found a short walking distance away. You can also take the free shuttle to the El Cid Castilla hotel and find some great restaurants around there. The pools were great. You would not think a warmed pool makes a difference in Mexico, but it does. Our kids spent most of their time in the warm pool that has a wading pool area as well as a deeper end and swim-up bar. The first week we were there, service at the bar was friendly but you had to go ask for a drink. The second week (when more Christmas guests arrived) the waiters started making rounds. Service was always friendly however, wherever we went in the hotel. Overall, I would say this is a great resort to stay at if you want to be a bit away from the crowds and noise. The free shuttle runs every 10-15 minutes, and it is very easy to get to the crowds if that's your thing. If you want to be in the action though, perhaps the El Cid Castilla hotel would be a better place for you. We were very happy here and would return again."

• Travel date: 23rd December 2003

Almost wonderful

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"My wife and I just spent 16 nights at the Marina El Cid Yacht club, over Thanksgiving. We had booked a jr. suite on the 4th floor. We were given one on the 1st floor w/o explanation. Talking with other travelers - this was typical. The layout & appearance of the suite was very nice, but although the place is less than 15 years old, there is a feeling of decrepitude. Somehow that the maintainence wars are not quite being won. Overall tho', the marina looks & feels pretty nifty. There is a mini-kitchen, no oven, but small microwave, refrigerator, and 2 burner stovetop. The kitchen tools are rudimentary, and the cutlery is an embarassment. Plan on a trip to Gigante or Walmart to pick up some utensils if there's any real cooking planned. Warning: again, not just our unit, but others also -- the refrigerator has a compressor from hades. It's very loud, and runs for hours at a time. If you aren't spending much time in the room, it probably won't make much difference to you, but if you are, competing with a buzz is no fun when trying for a civil conversation. This disqualifies this resort from having our repeat business. Having a beautiful environment plagued by a constant loud buzzing noise is not our idea of a good time. The food provided at the Marina is uninspired in general. The breakfast buffet is limited & does not vary from day to day during the week. Lunch and dinner menus are fairly limited. A good exception is their butterfied coconut shrimp. That's good stuff. Room service generally delivered the food quickly, but lukewarm, and in the several times we used it, only once did they bother to bring eating utensils. The spoons provided in the room are flat, not concave, and that makes consuming soups an unpleasant task. Why they would bring hamburgers w/o ketchup or mustard remains a mystery. Also, very limited Mexican cuisine on the menu. At one of their sister resorts El Moro, they have a very nice restaurant called La Concha. Good presentation, selection, and there's a pride of service at La Concha that's lacking at the Marina. The free shuttle to get there generally takes less than ten minutes -- that's the place to eat, and no problem charging your room. 2 fairly small pools. One is fun, 9 feet deep at one end, deep enough to do a bit of diving, and a very hot small spa that will hold at least ten. The other pool is not conducive to real swimming. There's generally a volleyball net in the middle, regardless of activities, which are generally low key or totally absent. Pool service was non-existent for the first ten days I was there. There were waiters, bartenders, food being cooked adjacent to the pools and absolutely no-one walking the pools serving the guests. This is unique in all my experiences of Mexico. Good service & appreciation of the gratuities exchanged for those services is one of the things that makes a stay in Mexico so special. At one point, I went up to the bar and asked that my wife be served a margarita on the other side of the pool, and, given I had other business, that they take good care of her while I was gone. They served her the drink, and didn't go back for the next two hours she was there. When I returned, I got mad. Now I'm sure that my being 6'5" & 300 pounds had nothing to do with it, but curiously, not only did we get service at the pool for the remaining days we were there, but so did the rest of the guests. Heavens knows how many hundreds of dollars of business they lost in that ten days. There was a jewelry store in the entryway of the Hotel - Pardo's that was basically closed while we were there. A couple days before we left, I saw the place was open, and picked up a small piece of jewelry for my wife. When I got home, I found out they had charged me in dollars, not pesos (Visa & I are doing the dance on that misrepresentation as I write this), without ever saying a word. BEWARE. I didn't even know it was possible to do that. Weather was absolutely beautiful mid-november to early december. High 70s-low 80s. Seems like all I've done above is complain; my intention is that you know what to expect. As a crash pad, it's a wonderful environment. I can't recommend it as a place to hang out in, tho. Time share hustling was fairly low key compared to other places we've stayed in. Hope this helps."

• Travel date: 11th December 2003

beautiful but.....

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"first of all the marina el cid is a beautful property.. but... my wife and i got so sick of the time share sales people. the tactics they use are disgusting! welcome you to the hotel, gave my wife a carnation, where are you from? did you have a nice trip?.... then they hit you (by the way, everyone was not trying to sell you something, according to them) after declining the invitation, they still called the room before 9 am to remind us of our free breakfast. on the streets more of the same. even when seated in restaurants they approached and hit us up for the same. we have been to mexico 4 times, this is our first and last to mazatlan. someone needs to tell the timeshare people they are chasing away business. we have never been hounded so much in all our lives. cancun, cozumel and puerto vallarta were not nearly this bad. by the way, if anyone from the el cid marina is reading this get a new chef. the food was the worst of anywhere in mazatlan. TIME SHARE PEOPLE READ THIS... YOU ARE THE REASON WE WILL NOT RETURN TO MAZATLAN!"

• Travel date: 23rd November 2003

Hated the food

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"My husband and I just returned from Mazatlan, we were there the first week of November. Upon arriving at the hotel, right away we are hit with the selling of times shares. you would think they would let you relax and put your bags away. They are truly relentless in Mazatlan. Everywhere we went they were trying to sell us time shares. We ordered room service on our first night and I ordered the club sandwich which was soggy and they used chicken salad for the turkey. My husband ordered grilled shrimp and it was only 3 shrimp with bread. They did not give you any napkins and the room did not have any in the kitchnette. The next day for breakfast I ordered scrambled eggs with bacon. It came with one egg scrambled with two pieces of bacon. The eggs were rubbery and the bacon was cold. Apple rates this as a 5 star hotel and I cannot believe it, obviously they have never eaten there. The staff were very lazy by the pool and would not even walk over to take your drink order. The lobby personnel were also very unfriendly after they knew we did not want to sign up to look at a timeshare. We found out that leaving the hotel during the day was the best. There are many other restaurants that were cheaper with better food and friendly waitstaff. We couldn't wait to leave El Cid Yacht Club. One more thing, they offered all inclusive for $65.00 per person per day, I hope noone is that naive to take advantage of that as you will be thoroughly disappointed. Thank god we did not go that route. Thanks."

• Travel date: 10th November 2003

Hotels near El Cid Marina Beach Hotel

El Cid Marina Beach Hotel is also called

• El Cid Marina Club De Yates Hotel
  • hotel marina el cid
  • el cid marina beach resort