1941
Good

Beautiful hotel, seems a work in progress.

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"We just returned from a 7 day stay at Paraiso de la Bonita. The rooms are suites are huge and well decorated. The bathroom is particularly lovely. A few problems made for a less than perfect stay: the rooms have poor sound insalation. Even though there were probably not more than 30 guests during our stay (in a 90 room hotel) all guests seemed to be housed in the first 2 buildings. Consequently there was always noise from the unit above or next to us.

Our bathroom sliding door was broken for our entire stay. We did ask housekeeping to have it fixed but it never happened. There is no coffee maker/service in the suite. Everyday we called for coffee several times, most often getting a recorded message that they would call us back. The call was NEVER returned. Repeated calls did result in prompt service when you spoke to an actual person.

As another reviewer mentioned, the price of food is shameful. This part of Mexico is always a little pricey for food, but nothing like the ridiculous prices at this hotel. On arrival we had 2 Margaritas and 2 tiny orders of sushi with about 10 chips. The bill was $78 without tip. Extrapolate from there on actual lunch or dinner prices. The food is well prepared, but nothing fantastically outstanding. John Gray's Kitchen, just 4 miles away in Pueto Morelos is half the cost and 100 times better.

With those caveats, it is still a lovely and restful setting. The staff goes overboard to try to get things right. The problems with the beach are as stated many times before, it is cleaned daily and there seems to be no service at all on the beach. Walking in either diirection for a few miles is no better, although it is amazing to see the destruction of property from the hurricane.

This is a very nice place to stay, but it would seem essential to have a car rental if you are staying for more than a few days, it is isolated and you are at the mercy of the hotel for meals and drinks without one.

We loved Playa del Carmen, ziplining at Selvatica and John Gray's Kitchen and the food at Yaxche. Although we didn't go this trip the ruins at Chicen Itza and Tulum are unforgetable. We also enjoyed a day a the eco park Tres Rios.

One last thing; bring a gallon of mosquito repellant!"

• Travel date: Tue 13th of June 2006

A slice of paradise

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"We had a wonderful experience at Paraiso. We were very very sad to leave. When we booked our 5 days vacation, we looked at the gorgeous pictures of this facility. It is one of the few situations where the pictures do not reflect the actual place that is, in reality, much better! The atmosphere is just amazing and you will feel the tension in your muscles abandoning you as soon as you get on the car that will pick you up at the airport.
Everything seems to be synchronized with the calm ocean. Just sitting on the veranda and enjoying the spectacular view is fulfilling. We took advantage of a tour to archeological site and had a wonderful guide and experience.
We loved the serenity and the quietness that surrounded the place. The food was delicious even though a little overpriced. They need to better work on the temperature of their wines. The do have an outstanding cellar but the precious red wine was too cold for our Italian palates…..
…but we really had a hard time to find one less than perfect item to make our comments believable.
We highly recommend it and we shall be back as soon as we book our next trip there."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of May 2006

Exceeded Expectations

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"Enjoyed 3 nights and 4 days here. Hotel had nailed all the subtle details that set apart a very good property to a great one. Excellent service and highly recommend to use the knowledgable concierge. Beautiful setting and build. Rooms are spacious and well appointed."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of May 2006

Paraiso is PARADISE

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"Paraiso de la Bonita is an absolutely amazing hotel. The rooms are huge -- huge bedrooms, bathrooms and living area. The outdoor terrace is lovely with a stunning view of the ocean. The service is beyond exemplary -- very attentive, courteous, charming and the prices are really not that bad considering it's a five star resort --- mind you, I live in Manhattan so I probably have a skewed view. The food is delicious -- way better than your average hotel food. We played tennis everyday, and they had a basket with cold water and cool facecloths waiting for us each time we arrived.

THe only downside of the trip was that we booked a sunset catamaran cruise for our first anniversary and somehow they dropped the ball and didn't book it. We waited for a while on the dock for them to pick us up, to no avail. Unfortunately, the person we talked to that evening about fixing the situation wasn't empowered to do anything, and didn't have the imagination to suggest alternatives -- we ended up not getting any apology or anything really. That said, mistakes happen anywhere -- it was a definite one-off from an otherwise impeccable stay.

I would go back to this hotel again and again and HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing, no-stress, chill-by-the-beach vacation."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of May 2006

Paraiso a definite let down

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"My wife and I decided to try Paraiso after two prior trips to Playacar staying at Maroma. We were very disappointed with several aspects of this property. First of all, let me say that the rooms themselves are extraordinary, especially for a hotel in Mexico. The spacious rooms and beautiful furnishings were very, very nice. The problem is that I dont go to Mexico to stay in my hotel room. The beach at Paraiso is below average, with large amounts of seaweed just a few feet into the water. Additionally, the water at their beach is very still, more bay-like than ocean. No waves at all, no relaxing sea noise. Also, the plastic beach loungers and lack of any service on the rock infested beach led us to leave the hotel after the second night of a 5 night stay. The prices for the food are shameful. I have no problem paying for good food, but over $100 for a very basic dinner with no booze is just wrong. I will say that the service at the hotel is very good, and for those that dont know any better this hotel is very nice. For us, we'll go back to Maroma every time."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of May 2006

Rectified a ruined honeymoon

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Upon arriving in Cancun we were told the resort we had intended on staying at, Ikal del Mar, was flooded (this was back in Jun, '04) and we would be accomodated at another hotel.

We were taken to Paraiso de la Bonita, and although bummed, decided to make the best of it. Not that it was hard. This resort is beautiful, uncrowded, with a helpful staff and amazing food (I mean this - some of the best resort food I have ever had - very new mexican).

The GM (I forgot her name) was so accomodating, and treated us just like the honeymooners were were.

Tried Maroma for a couple nights and asked to be moved back here after spending one night there. The beach is great, but beyond that, there is no comparison."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of January 2006

This is not a 5 star hotel, maybe a 3 star hotel

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"We arrive at the hotel for check in, the staff was unorganized and we were left standing around for a while. Finally got a ride to our room. There was standing water in the bathroom near the toilet from a leak, dirt in the outdoor shower, the plunge pool was not clean, overall the room was not up to par with even a 4 star hotel. For $750+ a night, we would expect much much more.

The grounds of the hotel were average, a lot of standing water breeding mosquito's and that stagnant water smell. Felt like we were in a swamp, not a beach resort.

The guy who compared this property to Las Ventanas in Cabo, not sure which Las Ventanas he went to. This property is not near the same caliber.

Final straw for us is when we were notified to it would be $2 a min. to make a local call dial up AOL for internet access. This was a LOCAL CALL. Every time before we book a hotel we ask about internet access from rooms, and we were told local dial up is available but they failed to mention $2 a min.

We immediately checked out of the hotel, and went to the Ritz in Cancun.

If you are looking for an average overpriced hotel, this place is for you. Otherwise, keep looking."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of August 2005

loved the romance at paraiso

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"Just got back from a short break at paraiso de la bonita. We stayed there for two nights after staying for five nights in cancun. We loved the quiet ambience of this luxury retreat after the busy cancun hotel zone. The service was attentive- they even folded your clothes for you on the sunloungers while you swam in the pool.
The pool was surrounded by luscious plants and had a large jaccuzzi tub in as well comfortable sunloungers as wide as a double bed. The cocktails and service were great from the pool bar, which had a great atmosphere especially around sunset where people congregated for pre dinner drinks.
Room was luxorious which you would expect for the price. The pillows were so soft you cannot help getting a great nights sleep. the plunge pool was a generous size and had adequate pivacy from appropriately placed flowering plants and architecture. My favourite part of the room was the bathroom. shower and bath were both easily large enough for two and i loved how the water came out of the stone lion's mouth in the bath. DVD player didnt work though and it did take a few prompts to get that sorted out.
The food was delicious, especially the breakfast with a wide range of dishes and the menu even gave the calorific content of some items! food was expensive and a 15% service charge was added to everything, the food service was of a high standard.
We had a couples massage in the spa and i would definately recommend the hot stones treatment- expensive but worth it. Free tea and coffee was served daily in the library which was a really cool place to chill out in, have a drink, read and use the internet for free. The sea did contain a lot of seaweed as mentioned in the other reviews but with a pool that pretty it really didnt bother me.
Overall had a fantastic time there and would definately recommend this hotel and spa, as long as you bring along plenty of money!"

• Travel date: Sat 6th of August 2005

A true Paradise

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We stayed at the paraiso the last seven days in july and it was just beautiful. We did not plan to stay at the paraiso but because the hotel we booked was closed after the hurricane Emely, we kind of choose the paraiso by coincidence. We were really surprised about the hotel, the rooms and the food. Also the service is just great... the only thing we could mention is that the beach has not had the turquoise known from postcards or other riviera maya beaches and had little seaweed... Don't know if the beach was still suffering from the hurricane or if this is normal.

However, I would really recommend the paraiso de la bonita...!"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of August 2005

Not a great beach, but if you like the ocean, read this !

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Whether its true the beach can be dissapointing, I am surprised nobody mentioned the beautifull and very long wooden dock that lies right infront of the hotel. It has got beach chairs on it, under huge palapas, and it allows you to swim in deeper (but still safe) water, where sea weed is not an issue. The sensation of lying so close to the waves, feeling the breeze is just amazing. We all have been to beautifull beaches, but this dock I mention trully provides a different experience. You can also have snacks and drinks delivered there.

I went to la bonita with my wife, and we met the owner of the hotel, who is also the architect. Great guy, by the way! He explained to us that under Inercontinental management, they had very little ocupation, and some problems with service. However, now that he runs the property himself, service was impecable. We did not experience any of the problems other reviews mention.

We have stayed at some of the best resorts in the world, including the Four Season in Bali, which has been rated best hotel in the world many times, and I can say Paraiso de la Bonita provides an experience not far from that. Havig said that, I would strongly recommend this hotel.

And in relation to prices, yes, the resort can be expensive, but you cant expec to pay $570 US for a night, and have inexpensive meals or treatments. I guess everything goes according to the room rate.

I hope this helps !"

• Travel date: Fri 17th of June 2005

right time for romance

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Has this ever happened to you? I call it Murphy's law of romance and travel. You go on countless vacations with your romantic partner and never seem to get that upgrade to a suite with a jacuzzi? Or that room with a fireplace on a cold night in Provence? Well, I had an opportunity to travel to Mexico with one of my best friends last month. May is a great time to travel to the Riviera Maya as it is low season and great deals abound. So I decided to stay at Paraiso de la Bonita, and proceeded to call Classic Custom Vacations to see what packages they offered.
I got a great one, luxury suite with an upgrade, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. A bath filled with flowers, etc, etc. We departed for Mexico thinking that we were two women ready to have some fun and maybe meet some interesting hombres.
The hotel was everything I imagined it would be, gorgeous, exclusive, the suite was beautiful. The one thing that was interesting was the complete lack of any single person on the property. That in itself wouldn't bother me, but it did seem a shame to be in one of the most romantic hotels in the world with a friend. So we enjoyed lunch by the pool and sat in two of the double bed chaise lounges.
The first morning we had a call from the director of the hotel. She said she would love to give us an upgrade to a room with a plunge pool, and a king size bed. I looked at Nancy and said "that's interesting" and she started to laugh like a hyenna. She took out our itinerary which she had been reading and said, "Lisa, we booked the Romance Package, that's why they are offering us a king size bed". I started to laugh and thought "oh yeah, of course, they think we are a couple". Wouldn't you know it, our big chance to travel and look for romance and we had everyone convinced we were gay on the first day. I'm sure if I had traveled with a boyfriend that we would have ended up with two single beds at a Club Med somewhere.
So Murphy, you rascal, at least you gave us something to joke about the whole week. Laughter is much better than looking for romance anyday."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of June 2005

A great escape

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We just spent 4 nights at Paraiso (May 11-15). Overall, we had a wonderful time, but, as previously stated in other reviews, for the money there were some problems. The ride from the airport was definitely better than waiting for the usual Cancun transportation, although we did have to wait about 10 minutes for the ride to begin. Once at at the resort, the rooms were fabulous: comfortable beds, great bathroom and toiletries, nice sitting room and balcony, adequate A/C. The pool was the perfect temperature and relaxing, but our main complaint throughout the stay was service. Beverage and food service at the pool was very spotty. Service at the food venues was also hit or miss, but we supposed some of this was simply because we were in Mexico. Getting ice delivered to our room was next to impossible, usually requiring several calls before it arrived. The spa services were quite good, however, the locker rooms lacked service, robes, slippers, and locks for the changing areas. Some of the service components were wonderful, though, and these included the housekeeping and turn-downs (we loved the nightly shells left on your bed.) Room-service was always about 20 minutes late, especially in the a.m. This is definitely a hotel to check out: the food is absolutely wonderful, and we appreciated the wide selection of gourmet choices, but for the price, we have had better experiences in service at other hotels."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of May 2005