Sensimar Resort Riviera Maya

Carretera Playa _Tulum Kantenah, km 95, Puerto Aventuras 77710 Mexico

Excellent stay

Reviewed Thu 19th of July 2012

"Stayed at the El Dorado Seaside Suits in May 2012 travelling with Thomson. The 10 or so hour flight was good. Transfer to the resort well organised.

Arrival at the hotel was good and efficient. You get taken into an airconditioned room where you are checked in whilst sipping a nice glass of sparkling wine.

We stayed in a Jnr Jacuzi room and it was superb. It was cleaned to a good standard every day.

The resort is very well maintained. Gardens are nicely landscaped and all common areas are spotless.

Food is superb. All “gourmet” food, all a-la-carte. Minimal to no waiting time to get into restaurants with no reservations needed either.

Drinks are all premium branded and served courteous by friendly staff, including waitress service on the beach.

Staff are very friendly and attentative. Whilst tipping was not encouraged, it was highly appreciated by the hardworking staff. We tipped little but regularly.

Overall, well recommended and we will be back in the not too distant future.

• Travel date: Thu 19th of July 2012

Fantastic fun and value

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"My wife and I an four other friends just returned from a 7 day stay at the El Dorado Resort and Spa and loved every minute of it! It was so quiet, relaxing and non-commercial - it was exactly what I wanted in a resort.

A couple weeks before we went on our trip I discovered the tripadvisor website and read most of the reviews, some with great trepidation. There were more negative comments about the resort than I might have liked, but we were committed to the resort and to having a good time. Besides, as I read many of the negaitve reviews, I read between the lines that most of these upset people are likley hard to please all the way around anyway.

1st - the room was outstanding! It was literally about 15 feet off the white sandy beach, was totally clean and modern and comfortable (well the bed was a little firmer than I normally like - but hey - I don't expect a $2000 mattress at a hotel). We had our own private balcony with a hammock and stone walkway directly to the beach.

2nd - the beach was much nicer than I expected. Many of the bad review wrote about how bad the beach was, but I really enjoyed the sandy section protected from the ocean waves by a low concrete retaining wall. The sand was fine and white, and there were several cabanas to retreat under to get away from the sun if we wanted. And the snorkeling right out side my room was fantanstic. We took a special snorkel tour over the Paradise reef and I felt that the reef out side our resort was every bit as good. Plus the beaches were not totally over run with people like many that we saw. We often had a whole 100 yards of beach to ourselves. And there were NO BEACH VENDORS to bug us with their cheesy jewelry and carvings as has been the case on every other Mexican beach vacation I have ever taken.

3rd - location was great too. For me, I didn't want or need to be around shopping/clubs/people. I just wanted some peace and quiet with my friends. So being about an hour away from Cancun kept the commercialism to a minimum. However, it was easy for us to ride the shuttle into town on the day that we did decide to go shopping.

Lastly - the food and booze. . . Well - I guess if I had one comment about this it would be: " The food and booze could use some help." The food was never bad, but it was never really good either. And I was sick of Mexican food by the time that we came home - I couldn't wait to get some pizza and french fries. As for the booze, my wife and I don't drink but our friends do and they all agreed that the booze was really week and watered down - like it would take about 6 "dirty monkeys" in 40 minutes to even start to get a buzz. This was no big deal to me and my wife really enjoyed all the "virgin" pina coladas and bahama mamas that she could ever want.

Overall - The place was great - sure there were things that were not perfect, and there was the occasional problem, but we were in Mexico for Goodness Sake, and didn't expect perfection. And as most people know, attitude often determines altitude. So if you are determined to be disappointed then you will be, but if you can go and have fun and let loose for a week, you just might have the time of your life.

So all in all I would highly recommend this place to everyone looking for a relaxing vacation. We are already planning our next trip back in 2003."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of November 2002

Great Caribbean Getaway!

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"Well we are officially back from Play Del Carmen!! AND absolutely LOVED staying at the El Dorado Resort and Spa .. This holiday was fabulous and I would strongly recommend this resort to anyone interested in absolutely getting away for a week! It truly was like stepping into a beautiful post card featuring the tropics. White sands and aqua waters filled with schools of colorful fish. Places like this really do exist!! I just can't imagine what all those nasty comments on the boards were about.
The food was good, the accomodations very nice and the staff were excellent.

The tropical fish were just like something from the
Nature Channel on television and the reef was within easy swimming distance from our beach ... you could almost wade out to it. The water was quite refreshing nearly 80 and clear as could be. The warm days made one want to sit back under a palapa and totally immerse in a good book or two. ... which I did!!"

• Travel date: Thu 31st of October 2002

Wonderful Vacation

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"I stayed at the El Dorado Resort and Spa in August. I had a wonderful time. The spa treatments were absolutely wonderful and their prices could not be beat. I look forward to going again. The waiters in the restaurant were wonderful, they were extremely friendly and accommodating. The drinks were also very good. The front desk was very helpful and the tour desk was also very helpful.

The food was good - I was a little disappointed in their lobster dinner. But the food at the Italian and Mexican restaurants was fabulous and the service was excellent.

The room was clean and very spacious and comfortable. I really have nothing to complain about. I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat.

One thing - if you are a beach person you may not like this resort because the beach is rocky - but the pool is great."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of October 2002

bring some potpouri

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the El Dorado Resort and Spa in May of 2001. The highlight for us was the great snorkeling. We saw baracuda, sting ray and hundreds of colorful fish that I can't name right off the end of the resort's pier. Our biggest complaint was the food and the smell. The constant odor of raw sewage really took away from our experience. It was a cheaper alternative so I guess you get what you pay for."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of September 2002

Loved it!

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We went to this hotel on our honeymoon in October 2000 and are going back for our 2nd anniversary. I hadn't read any bad reviews about this property until today and just wanted to say that it was the best vacation that we have ever had! The food was great, the staff very accommodating, the rooms very comfortable and an overall great experience. As an adult only resort, it was especially appealing to us as a quiet getaway. The gift shop at the resort also had great deals, comparatively speaking. After shopping in a few different places for 2 weeks that we were there, we found that the hotel shop offered very good rates on the typical tourist souvenirs that we saw everywhere else without the bartering. My only comment to anyone planning on going to this property is to not expect everything to be exactly like it is at home and enjoy the variety."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of September 2002

should have listened about the water

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"the service there was wonderful! Except for the guy at the front desk who wanted money from us to upgrade our room, when we were already supposed to have it! The bartenders were awesome, loved Jose! The main pool was beautiful, the others were good, that natural one carved out of the water was bit too freaky for me! The night life was very fun, always a bit too much tequilla and forgot about the reservations at the restautants, oh well! Andrea, Jerry, the other bald activity director, I forgot his name were very entertaining. Now the beach, the sand was beautiful but what about those large sand bags that I called "the Whales". Don't know what that was all about but the stones and rocks in the water were just too much to get through to get to the nice sand, so I guess thats why they had the kayaks on hand! The rooms were alright, have had better! Overall if it was located elsewhere, I'd go back in a heartbeat, but I go for the swimming in the sea, I like a nice beach!"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of August 2002

Great Place!-Don't listen to the bad reviews

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Like anyone else, I was really crossing my fingers about this Resort. My wife and two friends were absolutley happy. First, the beaches were as white and sandy and aqua blue as any beaches I've seen in Hawaii and Florida. As for the rocks, THEY ARE IN THE WATER NOT ON THE BEACH!
By the time you swim out a little you are out of the rock zone anyway. Snorkling was great, especially out by the pier. LOTS of fish. Best part for us were the swim up bars in almost every pool. We spent hours at the smaller pools by the casitas BY OURSELVES!! It was like having a private pool with our own bartender!!

We did upgrade from a gardeview to an ocean front room that was more by the pool than by the ocean. The upgrade was only $50 per night and was worth it. An upgrade to the casita was only $100 per night but unfortuntley, none were available.

The food and service was fantastic and delicious. My wife and I have traveled extensively and are pretty savvy about what makes a good deal. We stayed 3 nights for about $500 including airfare. This couldn't be beat anyway for an all inclusive stay. We are planning to return next year for a week in one of the Casitas.

For anyone who has read the negative reviews just remember that there are TENS of THOUSANDS of people who have stayed at this resort, but the ones who had real complaints amount to a tiny fraction. We just kept asking ourselves "How could anyone complain about this resort?" They must have stayed somwhere else."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of August 2002

Wonderful!

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"I just returned from my first trip to Mexico yesterday, and had the time of my life! I went with my boyfriend and another couple, all three have been to Mexico countless number of times. We stayed at the El Dorado Resort & Spa. We had booked out trip through Worry-Free Vacations (MLT). About a week before we went I visted this web site and read all of the bad reviews and very apprehensive about this resort. For my first trip I wanted lots of palm trees, lots of pretty flowers, beautiful turquoise ocean, great cocktails, and plenty of fun, you know, the perferct tropical vacation! I was not disapointed at all!

Our first day - when getting out of customs it was very easy to find the Worry Free Vacation bus to take us to El Dorado. The bus ride was a little long, but they were serving plenty of Coronas and had fun music playing. It did take a little while to check in, the wait was well worth it! And we had champange provided for us during the short oreintation and check in process. We we escorted to our room by a friendly hotel employee (Jose). He showed us how to work everything - the air condintioner, TV, etc. The room was beautiful - and the air conditioner was awsome! It was actually a little cold!

The whole rest of the week was great! We had fresh flowers in our room everyday, even floating in the toilet! The housekeeping was superb, we had towel art on our bed every morning resembling ships, bunnies, swans, sea shells, all with fresh flowers. We did put everything in the safe - camera, passports, extra money. The couple we were with did the same thing, but they left theirs open one day with cash & jewelery and everything was still there!

The food was great, and the service was great!! Breakfast was a delicious buffet every morning w/ an omlette grill, fresh fruit, yogurt bar, all kinds of pastries, different kinds of potatoes. We ate at the dinner buffet the first night, and it was great, and a huge variety of with fish and chicken, and beef. The food that should be warm was warm, and food that was should be cold was cold. We also ate the both of the speciality resturants - the Italian and the Mexican. The service was fantastic and so was the food, especially the Mexican resturant.

I'm not sure what all of the complaints about the beach were about - it was beautiful. I suppose if you were expecting to do some surfing it was to shallow - however they should have known that that whole side is Mexico is a huge reef! The snorkeling was fantastic, saw many fish - even an octopus! There was some broken corral on the beach, but so much that you would cut your feet! The palapas offered great shade, and there was wait staff that came down to beach and brought you what ever you wanted! The drinks were great (try the Blue Caribbean & Singapore Sling) and they were not made with top shelf liquor - but they were delicious, and there were plenty of them! the activities were fun - tequila volleyball, yoga, ceramic painting. We didn't go to any of the shows - we were to busy driking at the swing bars and having fun with the other guests - but everyone we talked to that went the shows and disco had a ball! The resort was quiet with no kids runing around, which I thought was great! It is not your typical "Spring Break" party resort, but there was plenty of fun to be had!

It is about a 45 minute taxi ride to Playa Del Carmen, and each way was about $17. But they were great drivers, and they were funny! We took the ferry to Cozumel one day, and that was fun - Definitely need to visit Coconuts for dinner!

I think in order for somebody not to like this place, they would have to very unhappy people. You have to remember that you are in Mexico (an entirely different culture), not everything is going to be perfectly the way you want it! I had a wonderful vacation. I was with the man I love, and great friends, and we had a very fun, beautiful time! I highly recomend this resort!"

• Travel date: Wed 24th of July 2002

Not what a 5-star resort should be...

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"Our Funjet vacation was not at all what we expected. Upon arrival, we checked into two jacuzzi suites, only to find that one had no air conditioning and the other had live rodents living in the jacuzzi drain. We spent two days and nights w/o air conditioning in one room, so four of us had one king size bed/rock for two nights. Maintenance was called and attempted repairs on the air conditioning, but never locked our room so we had to stay with our luggage for two days. The animal was removed from our jacuzzi drain by maintenance, but the jacuzzi was never cleaned so it was unfit for use.

Funjet scheduled a two-tank SCUBA dive with a local dive shop that they recommended. During our first tank dive, the locals rummaged through our gear bags and stole money. Upon realizing the $100 was gone, we immediately reported it, and everyone else immediately spoke no english. The Funjet representative, Alonzo, had nothing to say other than, "you never happy."

A second room with air conditioning was finally secured only after threats of calling our travel agent.

For a five-star resort, the food was mediocre at best. The main dining area "buffet style" with absolutely no temperature control. At breakfast, there was a complete insect with an attached 2.5" leg baked into a biscuit. The Italian restaurant had no air conditioning and was over 90 degrees at 7 p.m. The Mexican restaurant, however, was pleasant. Decent food and a greatly entertaining mariachi band made this place the only highlight of our trip.

There is no beach at this resort. Swimming can only be done for about 30 feet from the shoreline. From there, sharp rocks protruding from the waters and a strong current prohibit any water play.

Allegro airlines from Mexico was an experience itself. Going over, our baggage weight was fine. But on the return trip, our dive luggage was basically held for ransom by the airline. They demanded 50 American dollars or they would keep our dive bags. I bargained down to twenty-five dollars which foreced us to take 3 heavy carry-ons. We were not the only passengers that were treated this way, but it seemed it was all divers. In the end, I had bargained down to twenty-five dollars.

In conclusion, I'll never do Funjet again."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of July 2002

Hotels near Sensimar Resort Riviera Maya

Stayed at Sensimar Resort Riviera Maya? Share your insight.

Sensimar Resort Riviera Maya is also called