Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun

Carretera Federal 387, Chetumal Cancun Km. 299, Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen 77710 Mexico

Good

A beautiful resort which can be improved

"My friend and I stayed at the new Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun resort between January 4 and 11, 2004. Overall, we had an enjoyable stay. I don t think we ll go back there but the experience was interesting.Here are the good points about the resort: -It is brand new, clean, beautiful and well designed; -The resort s staff is very hard working and generally pleasant; -We didn t meet anybody who was staying at our resort and who experienced any kind of serious stomach upset during their stay, and we didn t either in spite of loads of salad, papaya, drinking water and blended cocktails consumed; -The pool has a heated section (quite busy) and a non-heated one (empty most of the time, in spite of the water temperature being close to 80 degrees); -High-speed Internet access is offered free of charge in the Business Center; -You almost never have to wait or rush for anything (like stand in line to make reservations for the a-la-carte restaurants or rush to reserve a chair or palapa in the morning) and there are no repetitive buffets; -It is a relatively small and secluded resort, which means you will be able to enjoy plenty of quiet and relaxing moments (plus it is an adult-only resort).Here are the not-so-good things about the Secrets Capri: -The level of service offered and the quality of the food & drinks served are very inconsistent from one moment/place to the next; -The beach is great for walking but not good for swimming (the bottom feels like slimy clay and has large rocks nearly everywhere you stand); -The Concierge (if there is one on your floor, which is not automatically the case as they would have you believe) is neither readily available nor helpful (training is very deficient in this area); -The resort charges their guests roughly $5 US each time they connect a calling card or reverse-charge phone call for them (plus there are no pay phones within the resort); -The mattresses (at least the one in room 430, where we were) are far from comfortable (definitely too firm, at least the one in room 430, where we stayed), which is a shame since the rooms are so well appointed; -Housekeeping staff needs training the quality of service provided can vary greatly and is poor as a whole, little (and not-so-little) things are overlooked all the time, for example three light bulbs died in our bathroom during our stay and nobody bothered to replace even one of them before we left; -Last but not least, the infrastructure, although brand new, is quite fragile and, sadly, reflects the challenges faced by third-world countries: leaky faucets, toilets that are always clogged or back up easily, light bulbs that seem to last no more than 40 or 50 hours, and the list goes on. I wouldn t want to go back there in 2 or 3 years, because unless management starts enforcing a strict upkeep schedule, you re in for a few frustrations and disillusions about their 5-star ratingSomething worth mentioning here happened on our first night: right after checking into our room, we had to leave for about 10 minutes and left our wallets in the room. A little later, after coming back, we noticed that two 20-dollar bills were missing from one of our wallets (someone had come into the room to prepare the bed and had hung one of our jackets in the closet). The person who took the $40 dollars was careful not to remove any of the Canadian money, euros and other US cash we had in our wallets, thinking we probably would not notice the theft if they only took the two 20 s and left everything else untouched.Due to a certain chain of events that would be too long to explain here, we are absolutely CONVINCED that the money disappeared during those 10 minutes. We explained everything in length to our reception clerk, Salvador, who was very kind and listened to the entire story. The following evening, when we realized that we had not received feedback from any of the staff, we went to Rafael, the Reception Manager, but he basically tried to imply that there was no way we could be sure that the money had disappeared during those 10 minute and made us feel like we were mistaken.Anyway, we now know that the Housekeeping Superintendent is the person who entered our room between 7:18 PM and 7:28 PM on January 4, but the hotel never gave us a clear explanation in the end as to what they found out (if they did bother to look into this at all). We knew that the $40 were gone forever and didn t really care about the money, and went through this entire exercise with the Reception Staff so that they would take action and find out, for their own good and the good of their paying guests, who was the employee responsible. If any action was taken, we were not told, so be warned.Although this last story is not related to the Secrets Capri itself, we should also point out that due to a tight connection, our luggage arrived a day after us and some items were missing from one of our suitcases when it arrived at the hotel. In this case, we know for a fact that the missing items were not stolen at the hotel but most likely at the airport in Cancun. Air Canada subsequently confirmed to us that the worst airports, as far as luggage theft is concerned, are Mexican airports as well as LAX, so bear this in mind as well if your luggage is delayed.As a final note, Rafael and most of the reception staff was most unhelpful with our delayed and stolen luggage situation and unfortunately, that is the memory that will stay with us the longest as far as the Secrets Capri is concerned."

• Travel date: Wed 14th of January 2004

Tough to find good things about Secrets

"My wife and I stayed at Secrets Capri from Jan 4- Jan 11. We have been to the Mayan Riviera before on our honeymoon, in which we stayed at the Aventura Palace. Maybe our review is not fair since the Aventura is what we are comparing Secrets to. There is one chief concern that we had with Secrets, and that is the lack of employees in all areas of the resort. Rooms were not cleaned until late afternoon, the concierge was never at her desk. As far as beverage service, expect on waiting at the bar for 5 minutes before you get a drink, the swim up bar is built, but there was not a bartender at it the whole time we were there. The last day we spent on the beach we were there for 5 hours, not once did anyone ask if we wanted a drink. The resteraunts are even worse, we became so frustrated with the service that our last 2 nights there we went to Playa Del Carmen to eat. One night at the Seaside Grill I had to ask for a menu 3 times, and for a glass of wine 2 times, finally I told him to just bring the bottle. Once the meal was served my wife had ordered ribs and was served a pork chop with no explanation from the waiter. Someone else at the other table explained that they ran our of ribs and sent out pork chops figuring pork was pork. Our last day there, it took 45 minutes to be served from the time we ordered, and when it did come the food was cold. Par for the stay. Please let me emphaisize that the employees are great, this is simply a management problem in which they obviously do not want to hire more employees.Food is OK, from what the menu says and the way it looks you would thing you were in a real gourmet place, but everything tastes the same and is real bland. Small portions too. No entertainment at all except for 2 nights, another reason we went to PDC. Rooms are OK, but very shoddy construction. BEDS ARE LIKE SLEEPING ON PLYWOOD.I have a hard time suggesting this place for anyone. I found the poor service extremely frustrating, to the point I was getting stressed on trying to find a way to beat it, no entertainment is a big factor. The only positives I can find is the morning newspaper and the positive attitude of employees even though most guests are frustrated most of the time."

• Travel date: Wed 14th of January 2004

Secrets Capri - Died and Gone to Heaven

"We celebrated our 25th Anniversary at this resort from Dec. 13th - 21st. Although this resort is brand new the manager and staff have done an amazing job to see that all of their guests are well taken care of.
The resort itself is beautiful, well laid out and the grounds are immaculately cared for. Our room was on the 3rd floor overlooking both the pool and the ocean. It was very spacious, clean and well maintained. The refrigerator was constantly restocked and we never wanted for anything. The concierge appeared at our door with a tropical floral arrangement as well as a discount coupon for the spa as an anniversary gift to us. (Nice touch). Since this was the Christmas Holiday, the hotel was beautifully decorated with poinsettia plants and a huge Christamas tree. All the banisters and palm trees were also wrapped in twinkling lights giving the resort a beautiful evening glow.
Next the restaurants. It was an absoloute pleasure to eat in any of the 5 restaurants. No wristbands, no reservations, no waiting. The food was superb and each meal included 4-5 courses. The meals arrived promplty and each plate was beautifully decorated. The 24 hr. room service was just as impressive. The variety and quality of the food was marvelous.
The wait staff was very attentive, friendly and efficient. Even with a language barrier, most times they could read your mind before you could even ask for it. They were the best! The pool side service was just at wonderful, whether they were delivering your drinks or your lunch..they kept you happy. The pool and the swim up bar were superb. The beach had plenty of chairs and towels and drinks to satisfy even the pickiest of people. I can only think of 2 things that were negative about the whole trip and the first is that the nightly entertainment was very low key and boring. With the exception of 2 evenings where they had planned activities (outdoor fiesta, and indoor Carribean show) there were only low key singers in both bars. The other complaint had to do with a sewer odor that was emitted when the doorwall was opened. It seemed to create a suction draft that would draw out the air from the drain. I believe they were working on correcting that problem as we left.

Other than that, this place is beautiful, relaxing and very pampering.
The fact that it is an adults only resort certainly adds to the tranquility of your stay. I would definately return for another visit.
I'm sure it can only get better with time."

great time

Good

"Was at Secrets between Jan 3 - 10thNever had to wait for a table at a restaurant...had wonderful service. Staff was courteous and diligent.
Hotel is beautifully kept. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the place. It was all good. If you go...have fun and have a mudslide at the pool bar for me!"

• Travel date: Tue 13th of January 2004

Definitely not a 6-apple resort!

"My husband and I stayed at the Secrets Capri December 30 - January 8 for our honeymoon. We were supposed to stay at the Sunscape Tulum but they called us 12 hours before our flight and said that they were overbooked and bumped us to the Secrets. We were assured that the Secrets was an upgrade from the Sunscape, but I believe that it most definitely was not. For starters, we had paid for an oceanview room at the Sunscape and had been assured a honeymoon package, but when we checked in at Secrets, we got neither. I actually broke down and CRIED at the registration desk (not for effect - I really just couldn't hold in the tears anymore!), and the check-in guy wouldn't make eye contact with me and just dealt very coldly with my husband. So clearly, our stay got off to a bad start. Unfortunately, it didn't really get much better.

Most reviewers have mentioned everything wrong with the place, so I will just give a short summary.

1) They are GREATLY understaffed. I'm talking 3 waiters who both serve and bus the table for a restaurant that holds 100 people. I'm talking 1 maid for 50 rooms. All of the staff are super-friendly and try hard, but they need double to triple the number of employees they have!

2) The pool closes at 6:00 in the evening. I don't know about everyone else, but I LOVE night-swimming, and it was absolutely forbidden. I'd never heard of such a thing and it really turned me off of the place.

3) They don't take reservations at the specialty restaurants, which proved to be a gigantic pain. If you don't get to a specialty restaurant by 6:30, you might as well assume you're not eating till after 9:30. The specialty restaurants are entirely too small and understaffed!

4) The food is just straight-up BAD. OK, some of it was "edible", but the rest was BAD. I didn't put a thing in my mouth during our entire stay that I would characterize as "good", much less "great". And trust me, I don't have high standards. The Waffle House omelets and Hardee's Thickburgers are among my favorite foods! But all of the food at the Secrets was VERY BLAND. It was so depressing. To make matters worse, the desserts were HORRIBLE. They hardly ever had anything with chocolate in it, and when they did, it wasn't any good. Apparently they don't understand American women's need for chocolate, but they need to START understanding it!

5) The shower heads in the stall showers were mounted about 7 feet high and the water pressure is bad. My husband is over 6 feet tall, so he could handle it. But I'm 5'5", and by the time the water reached my head it was a trickle. Thank heavens for the bath-tub, which has a hand-held shower. I HATE taking baths but was forced to do it everyday and use the hand-held to wash my hair. It was a total pain in the butt.

6) The rooms are gorgeous - with this marble-looking tile all over them. Unfortunately, that marble-looking tile does NOTHING to dampen noise. We were on the bottom floor (not quite the honeymoon suite!) and could hear EVERYTHING going on above us. It was so delightful to be awakened in the middle of the night because the people in the room above us decided to scoot a chair clear across the room!!!! And the hallways leading to the rooms are all enclosed, which keeps out bugs, but also causes a very loud echo when anyone out there makes any noise.
Suffice it to say we had to turn the AC fan on High and the bathroom fan on just to be able to sleep at all at night.

7) The "floor concierge" that they hype up so much was NEVER at his desk to do any concierge-ing because they are so understaffed that they make the concierge fill up the mini-bars on every floor! But don't worry, he doesn't actually bother to re-stock the minibars every day...
there will definitely be days that you'll come back from the beach totally parched and find your mini-bar completely empty! Don't know why the concierge wasn't at his desk that day, but it definitely wasn't because he was busy re-stocking mini-bars!

I gave this place a "2" instead of a "1" ONLY because it is a very pretty, clean property and the waiters and housekeeping staff were so nice and do try hard. But it is a FAR CRY from a 6-apple resort, and Apple Vacations needs to change their ranking QUICKLY so no more people go expecting a great resort and find a very mediocre one. Feel free to email me with any questions."

not ready to be open!

"my family and I stayed at Secrets Capri January 1-8. The staff was friendly however they needed double what they had. we would go to a resteraunt and have to wait over one hour to eat although there were ten empty tables because they only had two waiters. The food was average, but nothing great. The poolbar closed at 5:00pm even though there were still tons of people in the pool and the cushons on the lounge chairs were taken up between 4:30 and 5:00. There is NO nightlife! The music lounge was good one night and the rest they had a HORRIBLE band that emptied out the place. The spa is also short-staffed and does not cater to pregnant women. they did not have all the accessories a 5star spa should have. Maid service was awful and around 11:00pm is when they asked if we wanted more towels. sometimes our beds were never made up. two evenings they told us they had no coffee. one night no hot water to make the coffee. the hotel is pretty but I would NEVER go back."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of January 2004

more good than bad

Good

"We just returned Jan 11 2004 from one week at Secrets. The strong points were the very accomodating staff and the cleanliness of the facility. Tha spa staff and treatments (of which we had several) were all good and again the staff were a delight. (thank you Martha and Lucy) The steam room and dry sauna were wonderful and we enjoyed the outdoor hot tub. The other treat was an all day champagne and orange juice self help station. This station was in addition to the breakfast buffet champage (or Bloody Mary's) station. The only negative at the spa was the indoor gender separated hot tubs were not working. The beach was wonderful and the staff come around to ask you if you wish to have a drink brought to you. We never left the hotel as the food and drink and luxury surroundings kept us at the hotel. The only downside is that there is no snorkelling off the beach but it is available.
Definately a holiday resort that offers good value."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of January 2004

Secrest management needs an attitude adjustment!

"My husband and I stayed at Secrets Nov. 28 - Dec. 5. We were very disappointed. To summarize: 1. the pool was not heated and too cold to enter. Literally, there was never anyone in the pool - even at the swim-up bar! The hotel manager said this would be corrected in time. We asked for a credit at the spa to make up for no pool, and were denied.
2. The restaurant service varied from good to horrible. Sometimes the food we ordered never even arrived. Sometimes the food was very good, other times very bad (so bad we didn't eat it). When eating with a group - some would get their food early, some not at all! When I spoke to the concierge about the bad service, she told me to stop eating at the restaurants, and just eat at the buffets. The buffets were good, but we couldn't get coffee during the morning buffet - we learned to just serve ourselves from the coffee stations. 3. We had no maid service on several days. The maids would not show up until after 5 pm.
We complained to the concierge who promised us our room would be serviced first the next day. Again, we didn't get maid service until after 5 pm. We made our own bed each day - we got tired of coming back to a messy room at the end of the day. I had to call the front desk to have towels and soap delivered, as we ran out. 4. Lack of customer service. Each time I complained about any of our issues, I was met with a blank stare. I understand this is a new hotel, but the management should have been more responsive to making guests happy. They clearly did not care when needs were not met. Positive notes - the staff was very friendly & nice. The hotel is also very pretty."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of January 2004

Secrets Capri, Exceeded Our Expectations!!!

"We have just returned from our vacation at the Secrets Capri. We stayed there from, Dec. 28 thru Jan. 4. We have high expectations and were a little reluctant before our trip, after reading a couple of the previous reviews. Secrets Capri exceeded our expectations. We stayed in an ocean view room. The room was beautiful and the view was astounding.
The staff members, from management to the maids and servers, were very friendly and always bent over backwards to assist us with any requests that we had. We don't speak Spanish and we still made out very well.
The food was excellent. The mixed drinks were superb. We were looking for relaxation and found it. We were able to meet and make several new friends. If you're looking for excitement, stay somewhere else. If you're looking for relaxation and total self indulgence, then Secrets is for you. The age of guests is 18 and up, which makes it wonderful not to have to listen to screaming, whining children or loud annoying teens. ( We like children, but not during a relaxing get away vacation.) We found a few of the guests to be rude and obnoxious towards the staff, but I guess they are the type that would act that way anywhere they would go. The beach, pool, building and grounds were laid out beautifully. If I had to use some constructive criticism, I would suggest that the resort purchase some more pool lounge chairs.
Our only problem on our stay was with the AquaWorld staff, who are located near the pool. They were not honest with us and caused us great inconveniences on the excursion , which we had purchased from them.
They are not affiliated with the resort and were the only bad experience of our stay, so beware. Next time we will find the places we want to go and take a cab. We will be returning to Secrets Capri next year."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of January 2004

Sandels can not compare to Secrets

Good

"I have been to three Sandle resorts Two in Jamaica and one in St.Lucia and you can not beat this resort in just about anything.We arrived Dec.26 this resort was full capacity,check in took less than five minutes and everyone was overly friendly.The resort has about four different room categories garden view more like bush view,oceanview room that is over looking the pool and can see the water and the beach,Jr.suites that is a bigger room with same view as ocean view and ocean front that we did not even know they had, it is a room that we could not book through our travel agent you have to call the hotel direct after you book and request it and the hotel will charge you for it when you arrive for the upgrade.We seen all the rooms and they looked all the same,beautiful rooms.Dinner was great at all the restaurants except we did not eat at the buffet.Our favourite was Capri Italian restaurant and the Japenese restaurant were the service and food was just a little better.The only down side I had about dinner was they took no reservations some times you have to wait on a list to be sat but we never waited longer than 35 min.They also had a premium wine list were you can order some good wines with dinner at very good price no great mark up.The resort has a lot of premium drinks remy,absolute,you name it they probably had it no waiting for drinks quick service.The resort it self is very beautiful and well maintained,everyone spoke enough english,there was enough beach chairs,pool chairs,rafts.There was enough of every thing and all working order not at all like people wrote in reviews.One thing I agree on is there is not much day time activities or not at all night time shows but here are some things you can do,walk the beach south 3 hours to Play de Carmen you probabliy be the only ones on the beach for long streaches.Go to xelha for the snorkiling you will love it.At night time go to Playa de Carmen and walk down 5th ave. this road is closed off for about 4 miles all down each side it is full of restaurants,shops,bars,jazz bars,discos, this street is alive just like south beach till late into the night.If you have a car drive into Cancun it only took us 30 min.So there is no reason to find any faults for this resort.You should never run out of things to do here sometimes you just have to make it happen."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of January 2004

Beautiful resort, excellent customer service!

"I just returned from a week-long stay here and I must say it has exceeded my expectations like you wouldn’t believe! The customer service is fantastic, the restaurants are top notch and the accommodations were great. The room was spacious, clean and they paid very close attention to the guests’ details and reasons for traveling. The ocean view was crazy good!! Room service was around the clock and speedy. I must give shout outs to the following people: Daniella in concierge services was awesome! She recommended the best excursions that are unconventional but definitely authentic experiences. Lucas was our beach attendant and so amicable, attentive and funny. Maria is the hostess for Oceania, a fantastic steak & seafood restaurant on-site and she went above and beyond to meet some of the needs we had during our stay. I will most definitely go back to this resort. Thank you all so much for making my first trip to Mexico such a great experience. "

• Travel date: Mon 12th of May 2014

First Rate destination, good value for m...

"First Rate destination, good value for money, Staff attentive, courteus and helpful, drinks in all the bars were good, on the pool supply when out at the pool or on the beach the drinks are a little weaker, but in truth that is no bad thing as its so hot and you drink so much if they were full strength you would need carried off the beach. If you want stronger just tell them and they will double the shots up no problem.

Italian and Asian Restauruants are superb The ocean grill restaurants however, the portions were on the small side and although food was decent quality there they did let the resort down slightly (it is a minor niggle) Rooms were clean room service was reasonable (although a little slow and a limited menu tbh).

Resort was clean, security was excellent, shops are limited in nature and content and like all hotel shops pricier than the vendors in the local towns (playa del carmen etc) but hey its a hotel right :)

All things considered, no regrets at all regarding the choice and will be going there again (something I rarely say about any holiday in 30 years) :)

For those of you looking for a location to tie the knot, it seemed pretty much perfect as there were several weddings while I was there (14 days) and the wedding parties seemed extremely happy with the results.

Cheers"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of August 2008

Hotels near Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun

Stayed at Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your insight.

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun is also called