Beware timeshare scam!

Reviewed Mon 8th of February 2016

"Having been pressurized into buying a timeshare in Mexico , when I got back to Europe I really had no idea how I was going to get out of this mess. I
had already paid a reservation fee and on reflection I absolutely did not
want to purchase the timeshare. When I found Mexican Timeshare Solutions I
was doubtful that they could help me, because I was told I had signed a
legally binding contract and there was no way out. However using Mexican Timeshare Solutions company was incredibly easy and straightforward. Mexican Timeshare Solutions informed me that they would deal with everything and even though it would take some months, they would goto the court on my behalf and were 100% sure they could get me out of the timeshare contract, which they did. So thank you very much Mexican Timeshare Solutions for the professional and hassle free service

• Travel date: Mon 8th of February 2016

SUPERB HOTEL

Reviewed Sat 4th of August 2012

"This was the my first time in Mexico.This hotel was superb.Everything from the food to the service was fantastic.The beach was everything that a beach should be, palm trees, white sand and turquoise sea.The speciality restaurants are of a very high standard.My favorite was the steak house it was heaven for red meat eaters.I have to mention the staff who bent over backwards to please.I dont think i saw any of them frown in the fortnight.The pool was good fun as well.I have to mention Ernesto the pool barman whose cocktails made my afternoons so enjoyable.My reason for going to this hotel was to attend a family wedding which went off with out a hitch.They got married on the beach which was very picturesque.This was one of the best holidays of my life and I will definately return to this Mexican paradise"

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of August 2012

Unbeatable

Reviewed Mon 6th of July 2009

"We have stayed in many Riu hotels previously and all have been fantastic. This one was no different. You are made to feel special from the start to the finish of your holiday. The staff cannot do enough for you and nothing is too much trouble. The general standard of the accommodation, food, entertainment, staff etc. is excellent and as with previous holidays in Riu hotels we could find no faulty whatsoever.

The standard of the resort is equally impressive. The beaches, although still recovering from the hurricane twelve months previous, were fantastic. Mile after mile of white sand and deep blue sea. It's not the sort of place to come to if you want nightclubs, bars and discos but if you're looking for a relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings then it really is the place to go.

The excursions available are a must. There is something for everyone. The Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza have to be seen to be believed. The snorkelling is fantastic and the swimming with dolphins is something that we will never forget. It's not cheap but you must do it! The jungle adventure on a Unimog all terrain vehicle was brilliant. They said all terrain and they meant it! Snorkelling in the cenotes (underground caves) was a great experience. All in all one of best holidays we have ever had and certainly a place we intend to return to in the not too distant future."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of July 2009

This is the best hotel we have ever stay...

Reviewed Mon 4th of February 2008

"This is the best hotel we have ever stayed in. We received an upgrade to a courtyard room on arrival and things just got better and better. The food is out of this world and the hotel staff are so good. We did not once meet anybody who was less than pleasant and helpful. The waiters in the restaurants are superb and so ready to help in any way. The reception desk staff were always helpful and pleasant. Sunbeds were always available and the pool is great. Drinks appeared at regular intervals as we relaxed by the pool. The beach does have a few problems due to the hurricane but it is usable and every effort is being made to restore the sand. It didn't cause us any problems. All in all this is a wonderful hotel and I know we will return."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of February 2008

This is a great hotel situated in Playac...

Reviewed Fri 11th of January 2008

"This is a great hotel situated in Playacar which is a gated complex of hotels close to Playa del Carmen. It is part of the Riu chain of hotels.

The hotel looks great as you approach it; it is very clean and fresh looking with beautiful gardens and decor. There is a huge air conditioned lobby with the reception and a bar in it when you come in.

We stayed in a courtyard view room which is an upgrade for a lovely view of the courtyard with fountains and gardens and you could also see the pool and sea in the distance.

The hotel is all inclusive and so really good value. The drinks were fine, some others have said they were watered down but we didn’t think so, all of the drinks are all inclusive, you don’t have to pay extra for anything.

There is a good cocktail menu but not much choice in beer if you like that. You can get room service meals on all inclusive too but the choice is very limited. However, there is always somewhere open for food and drinks.

There are several a la carte restaurants which you have to book on the morning you want to go, we liked the steak restaurant. The main buffet is just as good though with a really good choice and a theme most nights (Italian, Mexican etc). Staff were really friendly and helpful.

Our room was very clean and had a mini fridge which was stocked every day with beer and soft drinks. Rooms were cleaned every day. There is a bath and shower and a living area with TV in all of the rooms, as well as a balcony.

The pool area is smaller than some of the other hotels but still very nice with plenty of chairs. The pool bar is in the centre of the pool. It is five minute walk to beach which is very pretty with large sunbathing area.

However, when we were there the beach had eroded so there was a drop down to the water and staff had put sandbags in the water at some points to stop more damage. If you walk for ten minutes there is a stretch of beautiful untouched beach.

As a guest at this hotel, you can use the facilities of the other Riu hotels, most of which are very close, the one across the street is livelier on a night. The Riu palace is quite quiet; there isn’t so much for children to do. There is entertainment every night but it stopped at around midnight and after that was very quiet but is okay as you can visit other hotels and use their disco etc and you are still on all inclusive.

Overall this is a lovely hotel, good for couples, and in great location for exploring the area."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of January 2008

The best holiday and resort I have ever...

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2007

"The best holiday and resort I have ever been on.

Staff and animation team extremely friendly and can't do enough to help you.

Because it's geared up for the American market the service is fantastic and there is something new to do every day and at little cost.

The Nightime shows were very good and they had some big productions.

The beaches were big and not too full with the opportunity to take part in free watersports and beach volleyball provided by the hotel.

All staff spoke very good English.

I would definitely go again even though I have been twice before!"

• Travel date: Sun 4th of November 2007

This is a fantastic hotel, the food was...

Reviewed Wed 3rd of October 2007

"This is a fantastic hotel, the food was amazing, the staff were brilliant.

I took two small children and the staff and the facilities were great, we were there when hurricane Dean hit Mexico and the hotel kept us informed well ahead of the hurricane reached us.

We were all looked after very well and all the staff knew what they were doing and when, there was no disruption to the guests at all, my sister got married and it was fab, I would recommend this hotel to anyone, thank you for a wonderful holiday."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of October 2007

We visited Riu Palace in July this year....

Reviewed Sun 19th of August 2007

"We visited Riu Palace in July this year. What a fabulous time we had. We were a group of 12 with ages ranging from 2yrs to 62 yrs and everyone loved it!

The food was fantastic, the main buffet restaurant always had plenty of choice offering different themes each night. The other restaurants (Sir Edward, Japanese, and Steak House) were all beautiful with exquisite food.

The piano bar is open for 22 hours and is air conditioned, very cool, and relaxing. There is also a main theatre area where the entertainment is held of an evening at 9.45pm and before and after the 'show' (e.g. dancing, grease, movie nights etc) a live band play in the bandstand area on the terrace just outside the theatre, where people either participate in salsa and meringue or relax sipping cocktails.

The rooms were very spacious, with telephone, satellite TV, hairdryer, bath, and shower. Our room had 2 double beds and we requested another bed as there were three of us which was put in within 10 mins of calling reception. You could also ring room service free of charge which was great. Try the club sandwich!

The staff at the hotel were wonderful, falling over you to please. There was an English speaking receptionist which was very useful if you had any problems.

The grounds and the actual hotel were fabulous, we did not have a courtyard view however we did not feel the need to be moved as we still took the courtyard walk down to the pool every morning.

The pool and pool area were very clean and quiet. There were poolside/sunbed staff that would literally take your drinks order from your sunbed and bring it over within minutes.

The hotel is very relaxing yet there is always something to do. There is a great animation team (who were fantastic with the kids) that have constant activities going on throughout the day and then put on the show at night. If you prefer to be active and get involved these are the people to be around.

The beach was stunning although since 2001 when we stayed at the Riu Yucutan (next door) it has eroded quite a lot, however don’t be put off its still a big stretch and the section just off the hotel under the palm trees, by the hammocks is gorgeous.

By the way comparing the Yucutan and the Palace, the Palace wins for everything, although we did have a great time back in 2001. When we went to visit the Yucutan we noticed it has been extended since and they have taken away more of the beach to build on, meaning their stretch from the hotel to the beach is much smaller than that of the Palace. Also it was very busy by the pool.

As I am in my 20's I had a few nights out around Playa Del Carmen which was 5 mins in a taxi and $5 - do not pay anymore, the taxi people will not always give you a price. Most places were $5 entrance (if that) and they have bars such as Senior Frogs and Blue Parrot, however a bit too English.

I would recommend Cafe Mambo as they have a big band on every night (except Mondays) and play all the Salsa and Meringue chart music and everyone dances, it was fantastic to watch the real Latinos shaking it! I had 3 wicked nights there! However, I would not recommend going before 12 midnight because it gets busy later. Playa is very busy and if you are into clubs and bars there is not really any need to go all the way into Cancun as Playa was a brill night out.

Plus Cancun is an hour and a half away and will cost $40 one way in a taxi, may have even been $80 (cant remember sorry).

On the whole this holiday was Fabulous and I would go back tomorrow as I’m sure would the other 11 I went with. Miss it Loads!"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of August 2007

This is a lovely hotel. As soon as we ar...

Reviewed Fri 10th of August 2007

"This is a lovely hotel. As soon as we arrived we were greeted with cold flannels and a welcome drink.

We were on holiday for our anniversary and we asked for a room upgrade and were given a room close to the beach end of the hotel, with a great view of the courtyard which has pretty gardens and fountains. The staff were always pleased to help in any way.

The rooms were decorated in quite an old fashioned way, but very nice and always well cleaned. The bathrooms were large with a bath and shower. The minibar in the room is included in the price and was stocked daily with soft drinks, water, and beers.

Food at the hotel was great, especially the main buffet. You could also make reservations each morning for one of the specialty restaurants - the Japanese was my favourite and the steakhouse is lovely too as it is by the beach. There are a number of different bars and the main lobby bar stays open all night, the cocktails were lovely.

The pool is nice and was usually quite quiet. It is split in two parts. One side has the swim up bar and tended to be busier, with ball games going on. The other half was quieter.

The beach in front of the hotel has badly eroded due to weather conditions, but there was a lot of work being done to fix this. There is still a lot of beach, and if you walk for five minutes along the beach you get to a stretch of deserted and beautiful beach.

Riu Palace Mexico is located in Playacar, and there is a little shopping centre across the street. The main town is a 30 minute walk or a short taxi ride.

Overall this is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in, it is great for couples. There isn’t a lot to do for children; although there were some children there they were mainly very small.

We had a great holiday here and hope to return soon."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of August 2007

I thought that the holiday was exception...

Reviewed Sat 17th of March 2007

"I thought that the holiday was exceptional. I was the blushing bride and my new husband was the most relaxed I'd seen him. The hotel was wondrous and I felt my heart soar every time I spied the delicate array of hospitalities which were presented to us everyday.

Whoah! Slow down my beating heart. I had a cocktail called the 'Mong' and it was sour but so so potent - it nearly knocked my poorly spoken head off (I'm a scouser). One night, beneath the palms, my husband proposed a second time and when I asked why he'd done such a silly thing he said, 'because we're only just beginning our lives now...beginning to live' (then he belched).

The waiters were wonderful. In fact one day I was presented with a fragrant flower and told I looked the 'quintessential English beauty' - I was very excited!

We went diving on a Monday and oh! I thought I'd died and gone to heaven itself. I saw a sea cucumber and it smiled a wry smile at me and I thought, 'you know something I don't' at which point I turned and saw a small shark! Did I mess my wet suit. Yes.

Thank you for such a wonderful trip Riu, you really deserve the highest recommendation. Back in Liverpool now but my soul is in Mexico!

• Travel date: Sat 17th of March 2007

A fantastic holiday we actually went in...

Reviewed Tue 3rd of January 2006

"A fantastic holiday we actually went in 2003 but this site does not allow that date, but we had such a lovely holiday and service was out of this world at a fair price too. 2 weeks for 1200 pounds all in and I mean all in.

Drinks, food galore even waiter service by the pool, they did not push that service you had to grab a waiter but the odd tip here and there and they returned frequently.

The food was vast and out of this world. The buffet restaurant was huge and had several dishes hot and vast salad bar and cold meats breads special tables took us 5 days to realise they had a themed table of food round front of it, as there was so much on offer, then they had 3 other places to eat you had to book at reception in the morning and queue, the only criticism of it.

They do lovely weddings, the resort is on the beach and has palms for 100 yards on to the beach which hammocks hang in and a dive centre is on site. All speak good English, the pool is brilliant swim up bar one side and as we called it the quiet side.

Bars galore cocktail bar outside on patio and cocktail/bar in side upstairs nr reception pool bar, drinks with dinner take bottle to your table if you wish well worth the flight definitely the best holiday I have ever had and the Riu have 3 other hotels around it you can use with your wrist band but they can not use the palace.

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of January 2006

This is a wonderful hotel...the food was...

Reviewed Sun 13th of November 2005

"This is a wonderful hotel...the food was amazing...the highlights for me were the smoothies at breakfast (esp. The green one, the healthy drink!)And the pasta stations at the evening meal , the fish, and the pasta restaurant at lunch time....the hammocks on the beach...having a massage at the beach massage huts, taking a taxi into town.....the tandem parasailing which we did 1st time ever (we are mid 50`s, but hey, that not old now!), my birthday was mid Jan and there was a super cake in the room for me, balloons and towels made into shapes.

You sit at the same table for the eve meal which is nice as you get to know the waiters and they have your wine etc already when you appear....we had a courtyard room, at no extra cost, i just asked when booking, and the fountains come on at 7 and it a nice sound to wake up to....great hotel...great places to visit.....great history......great people. So friendly...loved every minute of it.

• Travel date: Sun 13th of November 2005

Hotels near Hotel Riu Palace Mexico

Top traveller tips for Hotel Riu Palace Mexico

• stuartbarnes by stuartbarnes

"All the excursions were fantastic but Chichen Itza is a must see. "

• Ian G Colquhoun by Ian G Colquhoun

"just go and relax and let the world pass by "

• Alice B by Alice B

"avoid timeshare presentations "

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico is also called