Good
2027 reviews

Still the best

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"Just returned from a week at Petit Lafitte. I have to admit I was nervous at what I would find, although I knew it would be different from the old Lafitte which I loved. My fears were assauged as soon as I arrived and were greeted by all the old friends that moved over to work at Petit. It didn't take long to settle in and feel like "home again". The hotel is charming- very comfortable and the staff treats you like one of the family. Food was great, beach beautiful,staff and guests friendly- Thats all I need for a great vacation and I can't wait to return and try the new casitas they are building as we speak."

• Travel date: 16th April 2008

Intimate and personal

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"A pleasure! Wonderful staff. Genuine hospitality. Small, intimate hotel, perfect for relaxation. C Arnold Boulder, CO"

• Travel date: 8th April 2008

A beautiful oasis of calm in the midst of chaos!

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"We think the Riviera Maya is being over-developed, but there are still some tranquil places to stay, and Petit Lafitte is the best example of these we have found. Many of the reviews here are from people who have stayed at the old Capitan Lafitte and loved it, but you will enjoy this place even if you have no previous connection! It is owned and run by a family, and they make all their guests feel like members of the family. The thirty rooms in the existing building are cleverly constructed so that each balcony has its own privacy, overlooking a truly beautiful swimming pool. They are equipped with good firm (not hard) beds, a real closet with hangers, ironing board with iron (I can't imagine anyone using it, but it's there!) and an umbrella, a large shower, an air conditioner, a television set, a telephone, and a small refrigerator. Wi-fi is best reached from the upstairs balcony above the dining room, but your own balcony will probably work too. There is a new bar just overlooking the beach, and I have to agree with others that Jesus and Victor are the world's best bartenders. The dining room is behind the pool and completely open to the air, with curtains that can be closed if it rains. There is a large assortment of fresh fruit for breakfast, the egg dishes are all good, and the hot chocolate is exceptional -- try 'mocha', half coffee, half chocolate. It's addictive! Lunch is not included in the very reasonable price for this place, but there is a good assortment of things to order from the outdoor tables near the bar. Dinners sometimes are buffets, sometimes table service, but always good. The soups are outstanding, and so is the fish. The turquoise Caribbean is right there, with wonderful swimming. There are plenty of lounges and palapas for shade. Some new wooden bungalows are being constucted in the space just north of the present buildings, but this sort of construction is not noisy and rather fun to watch. The motto of both Lafittes is 'simplemente diferente' and it's true. If you stay here, you will want to come back next year."

• Travel date: 31st March 2008

What we wanted, however...

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"I will preface my comments by saying that we are one of hundreds, i'm sure thousands, that had gone to the original resort (in our case 12 years ago) and fell in love with the friendly employees and wonderful service and most especially the bungalows only a few feet from the ocean. The "new" location still has some of that, however I must report somewhat reluctantly that it does not measure up as yet. I say, as yet because they are expanding the resort with a series of bungalows on the north side of the property. As one previous reviewer indicated, the road to the resort currently leaves a lot to be desired largely because of extensive construction in the area. Once at the resort you definately feel you are in a very pleasantly small resort. The original(Capt. Lafitte's) was known for their return patrons and they were showing up at the new location in mass. In a way it was like witnessing a family reunion sans the younger generation. This is definately NOT a place for young singles. Moving along, the rooms were good sized, furnishings fairly sparce and the bed good if you like firm. Showers were good. The food was generally good, some nights very, other times just slightly above average. Most of the staff made the transition to the new location and it was great to see Jesus & Victor, the bartenders, again. To sum up, I would have to agree with another reviewer that Petite Lafitte is up against some very stiff competition in terms of price vs. value considering you pay extra for lunch and drinks. As my wife said, bottom line, we didn't feel anyone was begging us to come back. Too bad."

• Travel date: 15th February 2008

A Bit Disappointing

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"The hotel is not a bad little place, by Mexican Riviera standards, I would still not recommend this hotel. For the price (about $2,500 for six days for two adults and a teenager -- two meals per day included), I think you can do much better. For comparison, we stayed at Shangrila Caribe just south of Playa for about the same money and it was MUCH nicer and with a far better atmosphere. My complaints: 1) beach is nice for laying about, but poor for swimming / snorkeling (very rocky) 2) Staff. Not unfriendly, but not much of an effort to be friendly either. 3) Hotel water went out for much of one day (I know, it is Mexico, but still worth noting 4) Road to hotel is completely torn up -- and off the beaten trail. No place to walk for food other than hotel. 5) Room. Plain and a bit beat up. Air conditioner very loud and not very efficient. Room was clean, though, I will give them that. 6) No real nightlife or activity of any type. All in all, I would be willing to recommend as a quiet place to hang out and read a book -- but at prices that should be 25% - 50% less. For what it is worth..."

• Travel date: 15th January 2008

Still simplimente differente!

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"I've been going down to Lafitte for 20 years-it's still the same! Wonderful, warm staff, consistent, perfect location. The vibe remains the same."

• Travel date: 2nd January 2008

Same heavenly place

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"Lafitte has moved, but is still the excellent place it always was. The staff is the same, the ambience is the same, the Caribbean is the same. The rooms are different: Much larger, have TV and phones, large bathrooms and large closets. We were a bit worried about the rooms being so close, (like a regular hotel!), but the overall peaceful, quiet atmosphere is the same. Still the absolute best place for a tranquil, restful vacation with perfect margaritas! You'll love it."

• Travel date: 27th December 2007

Small, friendly and tranquil

Reviewed 18th October 2012

"We just returned from 8 days at Petit Lafitte--recently opened with the same wonderful staff who worked at Capitan Lafitte. Whether you knew the people before or come for the first time, you will feel immediately their warm welcome. I believe that a staff that has remained so dedicated over the years, and so full of laughter and good nature with each other is a staff that extends kindness and caring to their guests. There's nothing impersonal about Petit Lafitte, yet if you want your space and quiet, that is easy to find here too. There are 30 rooms in the one building--a low 3 stories. We stayed on the top floor--our deck overlooked the pool and seaside bar and an expanse of ocean. The room is deluxe---maybe more than I need with a TV (we never turned it on) and a phone. There's also wireless connections in all parts of the resort--a great benefit I have to say for keeping in touch. Those extra special touches of the old Lafitte are carried over in the rooms with towels folded each day on our beds in different shapes--a pair of swans, turtles, a flower.... The bartenders Jesus and Victor still are fabulous---and now they make their margaritas and daquiris in a new outdoor bar close to the beach. The bar stools are cozy and the ambience is perfect. We think the food may be even better than at the old Capitan Lafitte--every meal was exquisite----tender and flavorful grouper in a garlic sauce for example. We were always offered several dinner courses--a salad (different every night), soup, main course and dessert. Breakfast--well I could just live on plates of papaya, banana, and kiwi and lime, but there are many hot meal choices too, from huevos rancheros to french toast. The dining room is set back from the sea and open to a garden---very pleasant. While we stayed there, we saw the beginnings of the new cabanas that will be built next door in the style of the old Capitan Lafifte. The contrast between the workers here with wheelbarrows, hammers and careful hand labor--and the megaresorts going up slapdash down the coast is vivid. Here's the way to build a resort that offers charm, smallness, quality and that blends with the natural and cultural environment. Close to the cabanas is a little zoo of native animals -another bonus, and a nursery full of plants that will be used in landscaping the cabanas. So please give it a try and savor an alternative to resorts with hundreds of people vying for lounge chairs and palapas on the beach--- I'd much rather share with fewer people and enjoy the quality, friendliness and quiet--- I can only wish other resorts would take a tip from Petit Lafitte--kudos to the owners who are doing things right here. Give it a try!"

• Travel date: 20th December 2007

Petit Lafitte...What a treat!

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"Well the legend lives on! As a frequent guest of the lovely Captain Lafitte, I simply had to give Petit a try. Most of the old staff are working there and things have stayed "simplimente diferente". Your favorite bartenders, Victor & Jesus, await you at an awesome bar overlooking that pretty turquoise sea. The pool is very nice, sparkling clean, even has a few underwater bar stools should you choose to sip your Margarita there. No more long hikes to the "swimming beach"---it's right there! The cabanas will soon be built among the palms. Just to the rear of the bungalows is Jorge's "zoo". You'll see peacocks, macaws, tucans, ostriches, deer, javelinas and of course "Petufil", the donkey. Drinks at Petit are great----dare you to find a better Margarita anywhere. The food was very good also. I especially enjoyed the variety of hot soups at supper. Waiters are so attentive and the restaurant is in a garden setting with darling hanging lamps. The rooms are spacious and have all the necessities. Nice to have the little fridge, TV, phone and even an iron & ironing board as well as coffee maker. Now they do need hammocks for the balconies and the clotheslines to make us old-timers truly feel at home. The bed is hard, what did you expect?, but the bedding is luxurious. Above the restaurant is a game room/library. The location is great, just a short walk south of the old hotel which I had the bad timing of seeing destroyed on my daily treks.There is a new seaside spa for the ultimate in relaxation. If you are looking for peace and beauty in a small hotel "where everyone knows your name" you gotta give Petit Lafitte a try."

• Travel date: 2nd December 2007

If you loved Captain Lafitte you'll love Petit Lafitte

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"We just returned after a week at Petit Lafitte, and we had a great time. The hotel just opened a few weeks ago, so we were the only guests, but that didn't stop the staff from making our vacation absolutely wonderful. They made sure we had everything we wanted or needed but were unobtrusive. All the staff moved over from the old Captain Lafitte so we got the same incredible service. We were enjoying ourselves so much, that we had to force ourselves to leave the property one day to go gift shopping. The food was outstanding and once they get going, they will have their buffet style meals again. (Although they are always willing to cook whatever you want when asked.) They are building bungalows that will be ready by January, in addition to the hotel style room they now have. The large rooms are more than adequate and the shower is huge. Everything is kept immaculately clean and I love the towel animals/flowers that are left on the bed each day. I really hate to tell you about my hideaway in Mexico, because I want to keep it all to myself."

• Travel date: 26th October 2007

Hotels near Hotel Petit Lafitte

Hotel Petit Lafitte is also called

• La Posa Del Capitan Laffite Hotel
  • petit lafitte hotel
  • petit lafitte playa del carmen