Hilton Playa del Carmen, an All-Inclusive Adult Only Resort

• diving
  • adults only amenities
  • butler service
  • adult pool

Good
20072 reviews
Good

Great hotel, great location, want to go back

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"We loved Playa and this hotel. We had a great time with three kids. Even though they had a few small kinks to work out because of being brand new we had to cut them a little slack since their grand opening is not until next month. Staff was friendly. Room made up daily without any hastle. Digital Safe in room was nice. Beautiful hotel and grounds. We went with 21 family members and all had a blast. We did not go all inclusive and were glad with the decision. There are too many great restaurants and shops close by to waste time eating at a buffet in the hotel every day. 5th avenue was wonderful. I have never been to a place with so great places to eat. We did not have any bad experiences and ate in town every day. No one got sick in my family. The only negative if any was the time share sales people who drop from the sky in the lobby. I would go back and stay at the same place."

• Travel date: 27th June 2005

Not a good experience

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"We stayed at Royal Porto for 4 days before transferring to Aventura Spa Palace for a wedding. I too checked the reviews and was perplexed at how they could range so much from bad to good. I was optimistic as I have traveled extensively in Riviera Maya at "luxury" hotes and have never been really disappointed. Apparantly it was my turn. The check in was a nightmare. We booked Master Suites, along with the couple we were traveling with... $350 per night. I am used to experiencing a hightened check in when you've upgraded to the nicest rooms in the hotel. Not the case here. We had to keep asking if we were in a Master Suite and they just kept nodding. Our room was luckily ready. We sat to wait for our friends and when they came over, they were booked into the same room as we were. The lady who helped us basically threw her hands up and said we would have to wait for a manager (how do you double book a room?). I had a bad feeling from the get go. Fortunately, they were able to work it out and did get our friends the Master Suite below us. The rooms are stunning. No doubt one of the prettiest rooms I've ever stayed in. The bad part...no hot water for a day and half and a broken air conditioner for 2 days. They were never quick to respond to problems and no one from managment ever called to follow up to see if things were resolved and if we were happy. I was stunned by this. It was like they really just didn't care if you had a good experience or not. They give you very little bottled water and if you ask for more, they bring you 2 extra small bottles. This is Mexico! Lots of bottled water is a must. We eventually went up the street and bought our own. So much for "all inclusive". They said the resort was full and you have to make reservations for dinner. I never saw more than 10 people in a restaurant at one time. PLUS, you have to walk all the way to the lobby to make a reservation and there is ALWAYS a line to do that. That is simply rediculous. I did not go on vacation to wait in line to make a reservation for a restaraunt. You should be able to call to do that and if you pay for an upgraded room, as with other resorts, the staff will usually do that for you. Not here! The location is fabulous. The beach is gorgeous! These are the good things. This resort has ALOT of work to do and I would hesitate to recommend it to any of my friends. I am not typically a really picky traveler. I just expect to get at least what I paid for and we paid plenty. There are actually several more things we experienced that hurt our experience, but it would take up too much space to type it all. When we arrived at Aventura Spa Palace, the whole trip changed. I would give up the 4 days at Royal Porto Real for Aventura Spa Palace anytime although the rooms are much smaller. They know how to treat you there and the place is double the size! I highly recommend that resort! I hope if you decide to go to Royal Porto that you will have a better experience. Be aware ahead of time that the service is not good. I never felt the urge to tip and I am usually a good tipper. Feel free to email if you'd like."

• Travel date: 27th June 2005

Had a great time.

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"Our party of six stayed at the RPR from June 11 - June 18. Our party of three arrived on June 11 and the rest followed over the next couple of days. Our party of 3: myself, hubby, and 19-yr-old daughter arrived on the morning of June 11. Check in was busy. My first impression of the check-in process was very poor. The process was very slow. They began by telling us that the two junior suites we booked were not available. We were to have one jr. suite with king size bed and one jr. suite with two queen-size beds. This was not acceptable for us as our reservation was booked months in advance and we had been waiting for this resort for a whole year. I was very dissappointed to hear those words. When I pressed the issue, they finally did come up with the two requested rooms, but we were placed in the worse jr. suites in the place. They were rooms 367 and 368 also situated across from the construction of the additional rooms on the north side. We had a nice view of the wall of the building to the side of us. We couldn't see anything, not even the pool or even a speck of the beautiful blue Carribean water even when I tried to stetch over the balcony railing. Nothing. We went back down to the registration desk and told them that the rooms were not acceptable. The best they could come up with was for us to spend one night in those rooms, and they would then move us to nicer rooms in the morning. We finally settled into rooms 332 and 333 for the rest of the stay. They were definitely better with partial ocean views. Also, they wanted to charge us $60 a day per person for the all-inclusive upgrade even though we had an email stating that our rate was to be $50. We are Real timeshare owners. Later we found out that Expedia customers were only charged $49 a day per person. This would have saved us an additional $21. I'm not sure why they are charging different all-inclusive rates. The food was excellent, very gourmet with artistic presentations. You have to remember to make the dinner reservations for Maria Marie, Pelicanos, and the Asiana. The Asiana requires reservations at least two days in advance because it is a smaller restaurant and books up faster. Spices was okay, but didn't prefer it for dinner. Entertainment at Maria Maries was excellent. Loved that Mariachi band! Breakfast was excellent at Pelicanos but ends by 10:30 a.m. Order the sweet roll basket too. Lunch was great at the Asiana. Lunch is served at the Asiana, Pelicanos, and Spice. Reservations are not required. As an all-inclusive guest, you can also make reservations for the restaurants at the Gran Porto Real next door. We loved the Italian restaurant at the Gran, called Il Pescatore. You have to make the dinner reservations at the Gran hotel's concierge. The spa and gym were not completed yet, and there were no non-motorized water sports equipment. You had to walk over to the Gran if you wanted to use those ammenities. I'm assuming that the Royal will offer that as well in the near future. You can use the Gran's spa services until the spa is completed at the Royal. Service was good. There was drink service available on the beach. We loved Victor. Loved the tanning cart service. All kinds of sunscreen lotions and oil with iced washcloths! Also, Daniel, the night manager was incredible. He speaks perfect English and will work out most any problem you have with the hotel or your bill. He also made arrangements for us for a cab to the airport for $388 pesos. He is the best. The beach is beautiful! Loved taking walks to Coco beach. Wow! It gets breezy, but I didn't mind, as it is very refreshing. No problems trying to get a palapa every day at our favorite spot on the beach. The pool area and the beach were not crowded at all. Very nice. We will definitely be back next year. Enjoy your stay!"

• Travel date: 19th June 2005

Service was awful - not going back (long review)

Reviewed 20th October 2012

"We were in Playa del Carmen June 8th through the 12th, and stayed at the Royal Porto Real - All Inclusive. Before we left, we frequently checked the hotel reviews here on Trip Advisor; we were quite perplexed as to why there was such a difference in the reviews, even when the reviewers traveled at roughly the same time. Now we know why - it truly has to do with which employees you are lucky enough (or unlucky enough) to interact with during your stay. The hotel itself is beautiful and sits on one of the prettiest beaches in Mexico. We were very pleased when we arrived. Reception was not busy and we were waited on very quickly. From other reviews we had read, we knew we needed to make sure we received the room we actually paid for....and there is a good reason for that. We had paid for a Royal Master Oceanfront suite with a King sized bed. According to the Royal Porto Real website, the description of these rooms reads '6 Ocean front one bedroom Royal Master Suites with double jacuzzi and two terraces'. First they tried to put us in one with two double beds, which would have really put a damper on our extended, romantic weekend. Then they tried to put is in a room that was Ocean View - not Ocean front. Big difference since Ocean view really means that if you step out on your balcony and crane your neck long enough, you might get a glimpse of the ocean, hence the term ocean view. Finally, they get us an Ocean front room. The man showing us to the room was worthless - the only words he spoke in English were 'It's okay'. I don't have a problem with him not knowing English, as we were in Mexico, but if your job is to interact with the guests, then you should be able to communicate with them at a basic level. We get to the room, and sure enough it is an Ocean Front, but it's just an Ocean Front Junior Suite, not the Royal Master Suite we had paid for. We tried to tell him this; he just kept mumbling 'It's okay' and got out of the room as fast as he could. We went back and forth on whether or not to push the issue and decided not to push it as we had already wasted so much time already. The room was very pretty and well decorated, and yes, the view was awesome. The mini bar was not stocked, however and there were no room service menus. We called downstairs to ask them to correct both of these things while we went to dinner - when we returned, a photocopy of the menu was slid under our door but the mini bar was still not stocked. We called downstairs again, and within an hour, someone came to re-stock it. For dinner our first night, we walked across the street to the Gran; we had no reservations having not realized we needed them. We went to Maria's and, while they were hesitant to seat us without reservations, they accommodated us anyway. Little did we know that would be the one and only time that would happen on our trip. The dinner was lovely and we both enjoyed it very much. The next morning at 7:30, we woke up to the sound of a chainsaw - it sounded like it was coming from our patio! Along with that noise came a table saw and someone hammering. Did I mention it was 7:30 in the morning? My boyfriend looked out through the patio window, and the noise was coming from the ground, just to the left of our room. Workers were building a pavilion - it was not from construction next to the hotel. We decided to blow off trying to sleep and went down for breakfast at the buffet. That was a good thing, as the cleaning people tried to clean our room around 8:00am. We were pleasantly surprised by the selection of food and the service we received at the buffet - each time we went to the buffet, the service was wonderful. After breakfast, we went to Best Day travel to arrange for a day-trip for the following day. That was a long and painful process, but in the end, we booked the Xel-ha/Tulum trip. We made it to the beach just in time for a storm to blow through - while we were a little bummed because it rained (maybe about 30 minutes) it actually helped a lot with the heat and was really cool to watch. Once again, we did not make reservations for dinner ahead of time, and ate at the buffet. The next morning, right on time, the chainsaw man was at it again at 7:30. It became my mission in life to get someone to teach me how to say in Spanish 'Stick that chainsaw up your A$$'. We had to get up anyway because of our day trip, but wakening to that kind of racquet was a rude way to wake up. We waited in the lobby for our transportation to Xel-ha. It showed up just a few minutes late - it was a Best Day van, which already had another couple in it. No problem. We drive for about 5 minutes when the van pulls off to the side of a busy intersection, not saying anything to us as to why. We wait for a couple of minutes and then he tells us to get out of the van. Wondering if we had mechanical problems, we obliged. That was not the problem - we were basically dumped on the side of the road to wait for a bus, which was full of other tour people. I wouldn't have had a big problem with this if it had been mentioned while we were booking the trip - it's a little scary when your transportation in Mexico pulls off to the side of the road and tells you to get out. We get on the bus to continue to trip - I'll review Xel-ha and Tulum in another review. We got back to the hotel around dinner time - went to the room to clean up and yes, the chainsaw man was still at it. Went to dinner, returned to the room around 8:00 - chainsaw still going. It must've been around 9:00 before it finally quit. The following morning - no chainsaw!! But, as in each of the other mornings, the cleaning crew was banging at the door at 8:00. We got up for breakfast, and then planned to spend the day at the beach. It is a very pretty beach with lots of huts to utilize when the sun gets too strong. Our waiter on the beach was awesome, as was the crew at the bar by the pool. As we cleaned up for dinner, we finally realized why the pavilion under our window was being worked on so adamantly - there was a wedding taking place just before sundown! They certainly completed it by the skin of their teeth - I'm sure the wedding party was a little nervous about it when they first arrived. We had remembered to make reservations this time for dinner – we chose Pelicanos. We arrived just before our reservation time - there was one other couple in the restaurant. We were immediately asked if we had a reservation - we said yes, and showed him our slip. He spent a couple of minutes checking his book, saying he had no reservation for us - the man did not want to seat us even though he was holding our reservation in his hand! Mind you, there was only one other couple in there! I asked him if they were to be busy that night, and he said ‘not right now but later'. My boyfriend checked the book while we walked to our table - our name had just been entered wrong, but it was there. He noticed that there were two reservations for 7:00 (ours and the other couple) and only five for 8:00. That's it! What was the big deal about the reservations? Anyway, we sat down, and a very rude waiter came by to demand our drink order. We asked for the house white wine - it seemed as if we ticked off the waiter...he walked off in a huff. I felt like someone was watching me so I looked up and saw 3-4 men in the kitchen staring at us and whispering....hunh? Very strange. The waiter comes back with our drinks and demanded our order....we had only been seated for about two minutes. We asked for some more time - he stormed off again. My boyfriend asked me if I wanted to leave, so we did, much to the surprise of the staff. I have never felt as uncomfortable and unwanted as a customer as I did there - it was truly bizarre. For dinner we walked over to 5th street, had a lovely dinner and enjoyed the shops. It turned out to be a nice evening in spite of the earlier problems. One issue – when we returned, the wedding party from earlier had its reception on the beach, which included blaring music and lots of strobe lights. Being in an oceanfront room, the noise from the party was very loud – it sounded like the party was on our patio. My boyfriend called the front desk to find out when the party would end – we were told it would be another 20 minutes….at 11:30 pm. We were very glad we had not planned on having a nice, quiet evening at the hotel. In regards to the hotel staff trying to get you to sit in for the timeshare meeting, I have to agree with the earlier reviews. We were also called at 8:00 am on the first morning; we were also hounded every time we walked through the lobby. Hotel management needs to realize that it is a big turn-off to be stalked like that. Housekeeping - mostly good, but (I believe it was our second day) we had to call for housekeeping service in the afternoon since we were not ready at 8:00 in the morning to leave the room. One day, we went out on our porch and noticed two cigarette butts on the floor - neither one of us smoke....we assume housekeeping took a smoke break on our balcony because the cigarette butts were not there the day before. My biggest complaint was that they started so early to clean the rooms. We tipped them every day, but I'm not sure if it helped or not. Yes, the hotel is new but already has lots of little problems that can quickly turn into big problems if they are not addressed. If you look close enough, there are already cracks in the sheetrock and tiles; there was a line of mold already forming at the top of our shower wall; the archway that is under the swimming pools of the Presidential Suite has a huge water stain, indicating that they have already had problems with the pools leaking. Given the location of the Presidential Suites, an ongoing leak problem can cause major structural problems for the main part of the hotel. I'd say, in 2-3 years, if maintenance is not kept up, this place will end up as a huge, mold-infested dump with a beautiful lobby. One final word – Best Day Travel has got to be the worst travel agency I have ever dealt with (they are in the lobby of the hotel). Between the agents constantly trying to sell us excursions we didn’t want, incompetence in booking the one we did want, and the decline of service after you paid your money, I will never deal with them again. We already disliked being dumped on the side of the road trip with no warning going to Xel-ha/Tulum. We had booked airport transportation online when we booked our room. The van from the airport to the hotel was on time – that was fine. However, in order to officially book your return to the airport, we were required to meet with them again to bring our travel voucher. Translation: this is just another opportunity to try to sell you more stuff. We made a trip to the lobby (the day before our departure) to get our transportation arranged. Just for the record, the lobby was not anywhere near our room – quite a hike. We see the same person who had booked our day-trip. She says she can’t meet with us then – to come back in an hour (she was not with a customer). Umm, no. In theory, it should only take a couple of minutes to verify our flight information and tell us what time to be in the lobby. But what she wanted was more time to sell something. I gave her 15 minutes, and then returned – she was arguing loudly with another travel agent. When she saw me, she asked me to sit, and then asked the other person to leave since she had a customer. I believe the only reason she waited on me then was to get rid of the other guy. We agreed to be in the lobby at noon the next day. By 12:15, there was no van. I went to inquire about it – they called the driver who said he was just about at the hotel. At 12:30 – still no van. By now I’m getting very frustrated, as we had a plane to catch. They said they’d call again. Finally, I was told that the driver had been waiting for us at the Gran – they couldn’t even get to the right hotel! But again, since the trip was already paid for, customer service goes right out the window. In summary, I wouldn’t go back again. Even though the rooms are very nice with private jacuzzi’s, and the beach is beautiful, the poor service from most of the hotel people and the Best Day people overshadowed my need to stay there again. Requiring reservations at restaurants with two people in them made no sense at all. We believe it has something to do with the fact that we were AI – they cut their expenses in the restaurants by limiting the number of guests. Those guests who were not fortunate enough to have reservations usually ended up at the buffet, where expenses are lower. The purpose of going AI was to make things easier, not harder."

• Travel date: 15th June 2005

Definitely Not Going Back!

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"My husband and I are frequent travellers and were excited to be staying In Playa again this year and chose the Royal Porto Real. Big Mistake. Like everyone has said, the resort is very nice, clean, etc. But from the moment we walked up, we were harassed to become 'Members' of the Real Resorts. Meaning they wanted us to sit through a 90 minute presentation on the membership benefits. We politely declined, we were meeting up with friends in Cozumel the following day and had other things planned for the rest of the week. So, then the next morning, we were woken up at 8 am with Guest Services calling to see if we needed tp book excursions, and could we possibly hear about member benefits at the Real Resorts? NO! Definitely no now, after you woke us up! So, we decide to get up and to get on the ferry to Cozumel. As we were walking through the lobby to leave, the same girl from guest services wants to talk to us again, and snaps "What happened to your trip to Cozumel?" I honestly could not believe we were being treated this way. When we arrived back at the hotel that night, there was a note under our door, yet again, wanting to discuss with us about becoming members, and we also had a voicemail asking if we were please return to Guest Services to hear about some VERY IMPORTANT information about the hotel. I am guessing, to become members??? This was unbelievable, we're on vacation and we paid to stay there and were harassed like this. The reviews about the food are correct, it's pretty bad. I am not a picky eater, and we only ate at the resort twice, which was fine, 5th avenue has so many good restaurants. We are very glad we didn't opt for all inclusive. There are no menus for room service either, which was fine, we wouldn't have ordered anything anyway. Our last day arrives, we're sad to be leaving Playa, but happy to be leaving this resort! As we are checking out, I give my credit card to pay the bill, but it won't work. So, I give another and then finally my check card, all won't work. Mind you, the error message the card machine gives is "Try Again" not delined, so it's obvious something is wrong with their system. My husband then gives his check card, again, it doesn't work. This has been going on for 40 minutes and we need to get to the airport. The manager is convinced it's our bank(s), but he runs across the street to use the credit card machine at the Gran Porto Real with one of our cards and wouldn't you know it, IT WORKED!! The manager suggests we check with our banks, at this point I just wanted to get out of that place and all of the brainless staff they have working there. Stay at the Blue Parrot or one of the other boutique hotels near the beach, cheaper, much more character, and most defnitely has better service."

• Travel date: 11th June 2005

We did The European plan

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"My husband and I spent 5 nights at Royal Porto Real, June 1-6. We didn’t do the All Inclusive because we like to eat in town and we did - all but 3 times. We weren’t crazy about the food we got at the hotel and found it expensive compared to restaurants in town. One point on not choosing All Inclusive. They charged us for water in our room. The concierge advised against drinking the tap water but they charged for water from the mini-bar and didn’t provide any large bottles. We bought some in town, no biggie, but I just can’t get over that they wouldn’t provide water. We kept an informal tally and we NEVER spent the $49 per day per person AI would have cost. We didn’t buy many drinks there, it was cheaper in town. We used the money to upgrade to an ocean –front room – 535. OMIGOSH, it was gorgeous. The balcony, the view. So much fun to watch the beach and boat action. Pros-check in with Funjet paper work, easy. Facility pretty, not crowded, clean, new, everything works. Staff friendly and helpful. Beach is the best around, MUCH nicer than the Gran. Beautiful sand, clear water with waves to jump in. It was pretty windy while we were there so we didn’t try any snorkeling there. Jacuzzi tub in the room. HUGE. Takes a while to fill, but feels nice. Pool chairs IN the water. Very cool. Cons – A “marketing” scheme that the hotel wants you to sign up for, like a time-share presentation. We didn’t do it, but others who did were NOT HAPPY. The breakfast was supposed to take 90 min, but lasted for hours and the $200 they offered turned out to be only $125. Just firmly tell them no from the first and maybe they’ll leave you alone. Since the hotel is new, there are no signs telling you where restaurants or ice, etc are. Not a big deal, but the hotel is so big, you can spend a lot of time walking. They will take care of that soon, I’m sure. No room service menus, no list of restaurants, printing seems to be a problem. They were busy working on finishing the hotel. Not a problem, the workers were very nice and only once did we hear any noise, when we were napping during the day. It wasn’t as loud as the infernal whistle of the beach volleyball leader. Take care if it rains, the beautiful marble and tile floors are really slippery. On Sunday the pool towel supply ran out and was never replenished. A bus tour was there and a group of 70! teenagers, but they still should have plenty and they don’t. You dry pretty fast in the heat and wind, but it’s nice to have a towel to blot off the salt water. Keep in mind the Gran facilities are open to the Royal guests, but not vice versa. We heard the buffet is better over there. We went to see the evening entertainment at the Gran two or three times. Michael Jackson review, Mayan and Aztec dancers, Elvis, etc. Hokey but fun. Coffee maker was provided in our room, but we only got coffee for it once. DVD players, but no DVD rentals. Bring your own if you want them, we watched movies in English with Spanish subtitles, helped my Spanish some. We took the Funjet tour of Xelha and Tulum. Tulum is VERY HOT and sunny. Don’t go in the afternoon. I think next time; I’ll take a taxi to Xelha. We spent a lot of time going to other hotels and waiting to pick up passengers from the ferry. We could have slept later and still spent the same amount of time in the park. Xelha is wonderful, not too “Disney-done” mostly natural. Snorkeling with really big fish, cool water, and the tube float thing looked fun, too, but we didn’t take time to do it. We walked most of the trails and saw the sights. Their snorkel equipment is fine, no need to take your own. We did the All Inclusive tour there and found it made getting in and out of the restaurants quicker, which is good. Beer and soft drinks included, too. Margaritas, too I guess. Fifth Avenue is fun and really safe, police with Uzi’s around. We never saw any trouble or felt uneasy at all. We found people dress up more here than in Cozumel. At night, you’ll see resort wear and some flash. We watched people lining up to go to the discoteca and they were dressed up. The locals bring their kids, babies even, to this place. Santeria, I think. So you may want to bring something a little nicer than T-shirts. But it’s still hot at night and there isn’t much AC in town."

• Travel date: 11th June 2005

just back loved it

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"I just returned from a work function at the Royal Porto Real. This is a beautiful property with very spacious rooms. The lowest room category is a junior suite. All rooms have a over sized jacuzzi tub which is not located in the bathroom but in the bedroom area. All patios and/or verandah's have a table and chairs along with a hammock. Each room has a small door (About 2 feet by 2 feet) both inside the room as well as outside at eye level. Between the two doors is an area just large enough to fit a tray. Each morning the staff drops off a tray with a continental breakfast. Each evening you get a small tray of desserts. The pool and beach were very nice. Drink service at both was wonderful. We ate the majority of our meals in the buffet. The decor was beautiful and the food fabulous. I especially liked the hours of the buffet. Essentially the buffet was open from early morning until late at night making it very easy to not have to follow a schedule. They also have a 24 hour lounge available for all inclusive guests. The lounge has pool tables, beverages, self serve drinks and snacks. Great area for getting together late at night. All around the staff was superb. I was met with a smile no matter where I went. I would stay at this property again anytime."

• Travel date: 8th June 2005

Stop Looking!!! Read this Review. Then Book your Rooms.

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"This is my 1st review ever. I will try to make it relevant to you, the reader. My family and friends flew from Houston IAH to Cancun. We stayed there 3 days and then went to Playa. If you are going on Funjet and have transfer coupons, good. If not, and you need transport from the airport into Cancun or Playa, use this service -- "Playa Tur", Fernando Romero, (figure out how to call from US) ------. Cell ------. Fax ------. New Vans. Good driver. Reasonable cost. They took our 8 people from Cancucn to Playa and then Playa to Cancun A/P for $70 each trip. Local travel agents in hotels wanted $200-300 for the same services. No kidding. The Royal is BRAND SPANKING NEW. That is really important in Mexico. The place had been open for about 1 month in June 2005. Monday morning about 50 people showed up and started painting and sanding columns. But by the time you get there that should be a thing of the past. I got good rates. The rooms were exactly as shown on the virtual tour. The swimming pool was 1st class. The bars were too. THIS IS A WINNER. If you are shooting dice like I was and had never been to Playa b/f this is the one to go to. The food was very good. We did not go "All Inclusive" b/c I had mainly daughters with me, and they don't eat anything. In addition, I like to eat outside of the Hotel. This Hotel is on the beach. It is also in the center of town. If you want to be in the middle of nowhere, don't go here. If you want to enjoy the charm of the town, this is the place. The beach is on one side, 1 block inland from the other side of the Hotel is the main restaurant/market/action street in Playa. This street runs parallel to the beach. So walk inland 50 yards and turn left and start having fun. A word of caution about the beach. Someone else wrote about boats blocking up the beaches. This correct. NONE of those boats was in front of this Hotel, but across the street at the Grand Porto (sister to this Hotel), you cold walk from one boat to the next w/o touching the water, so do not let anyone move you over there!!!!!! The Grand is also MUCH older and dated vs new and modern here. The best place to eat Mexican is La Parilla. It is on the main street I spoke of above. It won a bunch of awards etc etc. The kids liked it and so did I. There are also a host of other wonderful places to eat. If you wait until dark and then walk down the main street, you will see them lighted up and how beautiful they are and can simply make a choice and walk in. I am not in the travel industry nor with this Hotel or any other hotel. I go out of the country often with family, but not recently to Playa until now."

• Travel date: 8th June 2005

Unbelievable!

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"We went on our honyemoon to the Royal from May 22nd to May 28th. What an unbelievable place! When we arrived we showed them our marraige license and we were upgraded to an oceanfront room with a breathtaking view, room 535. We did the all inclusive plan and loved every meal. Even the international buffet provided us with quality food and outstanding service. We enjoyed the restaurants so much we never ate anywhere else. We also loved being so close to fifth avenue, and walked down it almost every night. I read so many bad reviews in the past I was worried, but fear not. It was a great destination. I think one of the best things I did was to bring $200 in $1 bills to give as tips every time I ate or got a drink refilled. They were so thrilled, and I got better service. The people working there are so thoughtful and content. If you take some time to talk to them about their lives, you'll learn a lot from them. Victor and Leonel at the bar were amazing bartenders, and I would now call them friends. Chan at the beach taught me a lot of Spanish as well. The rooms were great, the beach was beautiful, the food was wonderful, and the people/workers were friendly and helpful. I will definitely go back, and would recommend this place over the gran porto real any day. It's much, much nicer. The royal porto real is truly top of the line in the area. Email me if you need some more info or want pics of the beach/rooms. Will"

• Travel date: 3rd June 2005

Fantastic. Going back in March 2006

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"Hello. We just got back, May 30th. This was our 5 trip to Playa del Carmen. We have stayed and always had great experiences at the Gran Porto (contrary to many reviews!) so this time we went for the new hotel. WOW. IS ALL I CAN SAY. We were in one of the 4 Master Suites, room 530. oceanside, private and huge!!! Bed was very comfortable, linens all new. The couches were nice and comfy. Big round table and 4 chairs too. I got to take a peek at the junior suites. Very nice and spacious, just like the Gran Porto. This hotel is a 5 star no doubt. Food was top flight, prepared and presented well. Pelicanos was our favorite. Easy to get reservations as well. Beach is pristine, lots of the huts to keep in you in the shade. You don't have to reserve them at the early bird hour like some resorts. Service as always was fantastic. We do tip, so that helps. These workers hardly make anything... it was the least we could do. Because they are not in full swing yet we did have a few minor problems. BUT the good thing. As soon as I made them aware. Within 10 minutes each issue was dealt with. The issues were: Phone not connected, and no towels. I believe we were the first to stay in the room, that would explain it. I think this is our new hotel in playa. We have always liked being within walking distance to 5th ave. I heard 0 construction. We looked around: the are working still on the spa, the ballroom and building 150+ rooms on the other side of the hotel. Being up front in the Master Suite may have help us avoid any noise this may have caused. All the restaurants are air conditioned (including the very nice multi selection general buffet). Give this hotel 4 months... it will be a well oiled machine. My husband and I had a great time, very nice place. My only complaint, how minor is no food service at the beach or pool yet. So we walked over to Gran Porto (you can go over there too) Feel free to email me."

• Travel date: 30th May 2005

Hotels near Hilton Playa del Carmen, an All-Inclusive Adult Only Resort

Hilton Playa del Carmen, an All-Inclusive Adult Only Resort is also called

• Royal Porto Real Hotel
  • Royal Playa Del Carmen Resort and Spa Hotel
  • royal playa del carmen