Recreation

• diving
  • adult pool
  • yoga classes amenities

Good

some times you get really lucky!

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"Our first trip to PDC, Jan 23 - 28, and we decided to take advantage of a ridiculously cheap last minute air only deal. Problem was we needed a hotel and did not want AI. Searches on Expedia, Orbitz along with TripAdvisor research landed us at Aventura Mexicana. What a perfect location for peaceful nights, walks to beach and of course 5th Ave. Walk to beach, 2-3 blocks, put us right at the Tukan Beach Club. 2 chairs, umbrella and table for 7.00us daily. Club had small pool, showers, restaurant, bathrooms, masseusse, etc. along with one of the longest and picturesque beach walks imaginable, (walk north away from town). As a side note, we couldn't believe all the people at the beach club and in the restaurants that had AI bracelets. Some of the AI's had no beach, and you can only eat so much AI food. 5th Ave was loaded with restaurants, plenty to pick from, but don't be afraid to go down the side streets. Many options and all cuisines represented. Pick one for dinner and another for dessert, that way you can get a preview of what they have to offer. BUT, you must try the hotels own Jacobi's. Great menu and daily specials. The best part of the day was late afternoon, early evening where the bar at Jacobi's had happy hour. 2 for 1 drink specials.People came from the other side of town for their "real fruit" drinks. No substitutes. You could sit at the bar and learn alot about dinner places, snorkelling, scuba, ruins, day trips, etc. It truly provides a comfortable family atmosphere. The owner Andreas was around nightly to mingle and share ideas. Javier works reception and manages, David, was the master of drinks and somewhat of a social arranger, he made sure you felt at home and were included in the talks. He would introduce the patrons to each other, a nice touch that makes the stay that much more appreciated. We will return without a doubt. Feel free to contact with [email protected]"

• Travel date: 1st February 2005

overpriced

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"The Hotel was clean and had a good location, but other than that I think the hotel was overpriced for what you get. The bed was extremely hard and the hotel offers little or no service. Staff is not friendly. Playa is a great place and there are many other hotels in the area where you get similar rooms with better service for less money."

• Travel date: 17th January 2005

Nice place, great price!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My boyfriend and I just returned from a stay at the Aventura Mexicana. It's truly a beautiful place, a calm little oasis. The pool, sun decks and grounds are gorgeous and very well maintained. The flowers and palm trees are stunning. Our room was nice but if you're expecting a fancy, schmancy place with lots of extras, you're in the wrong place. It's very no frills. You get exactly 2 towels and 2 washcloths but they are lovingly arranged on the bed in a different style each day. The tv was tiny and the mattress was hard. We didn't have much water pressure in the shower and the lack of bathroom privacy was a little daunting but all in all, we didn't have much to complain about. The room was cleaned every day and the bed turned down at night. We didn't really talk to many people at the hotel. The staff seemed to be somewhat cold--perhaps not on purpose but maybe just culturally different. We actually felt a little bit uncomfortable asking for advice on the beaches, tourist spots, restaurants, etc. but it wasn't really a big deal because it was very easy to go exploring on our own. The location of the hotel is ideal. It is just steps away from Fifth Avenue but at the north end, away from all the hustle and bustle. We went to the beach club a couple blocks up (Mamita's) and it was great although a bit loud, kind of like an all day party in the sun. Make sure you get there early if you want to snag a chair for the day! We love to walk so it was never an issue to walk all the way to the other end of Fifth Avenue. We actually did that pretty much every night as we decided which of the tons of restaurants we should try! I highly recommend Yaxche, it's a traditional Mayan/Yucatecan restaurant. We had our best meal there. Also went to Bip Bip, Delicia's, and La Palapa Hemingway for lunch. Had dinners at Sur, Ajua, Agora. All very good and the prices were incredibly reasonable. We had no problems with our stomachs. Just make sure to drink lots of bottled water. Greatest margarita was at the Deseo Lounge. Very hipster. Also found a super cool spot called El Atico Art Bar. Really dark, small lounge with a friendly bartender. And loved the great bar at the Blue Parrot. Definitely something to see. Overall, we loved Playa del Carmen and will definitely return. I would recommend the Aventura Mexicana for the beauty, price, comfort and location. If you need more amenities, children running around, action and noise at all hours of the night, go somewhere else. If you want a quiet, relaxing, peaceful adult experience, check it out! Remember, it's Mexico. Leave behind all your expectations, sit back, have a margarita and relax."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2005

4 years and counting...Always a pleasure!!!

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"Every year I have gone to Playa for the past four years, I have stayed at the Hotel Aventura Mexicana and each visit has been superb! The location is ideal, close to the beach and close to the shopping area (5 minutes to each); but far enough away to be out of the hustle-bustle and noise. Location, location, location! The managment and staff are great and helpful, arranging transfer to and from the airport in Cancun, as well as providing accurate recommendations on local attractions. The grounds are clean and beautiful with many tropical plants and flowers in the courtyard around the pool and restaurant. The rooms are air conditioned rooms and are very clean and "oragami" towel arrangements and a flower in your room await your return from the beach. I have never had a bug in my room (more than I can say for some American hotels that are not in the tropics!) The showers have great pressure, the pool and jacuzzi are kept very clean. The other guests are friendly and easy to mingle with. Unlike American hotels, the food in the on-site restaurant is excellent. It is among the best in Playa. I stumbled upon this place during my first visit 4 years ago and would never stay anywhere else."

• Travel date: 1st November 2004

A great place to stay!!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Me and my boyfriend stayed here a week. When we got here EXPEDIA hadn't notified them of our reservations we made on-line,a week earlier. Instead of the hotel turning us away. They were very nice and put us in a room. The lady at the front desk(Denise) was always nice and very helpfull with all of our never-ending questions. The hotel has so much charm & beauty. The pool is great. The restuarant & bar have some of the best food and margaritas I've ever had...... The beach is only two blocks away..... it's such a great place to stay. Anyone going to Playa del Carmen should give this place a try. You'll be happy you did!!!"

• Travel date: 24th August 2004

Near the beach, Near the shops and near the bars!

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Aventura for five days in May 2004. The location is great! We were five blocks from the beach club (the hotel proivdes towels) where you can rent chairs for $6.00 bucks a day and soak up the sun for until it goes down. Located on the north side of Constitution Ave, away from the foot traffic and noise of Avenue 5, the hotel is close enough to this main avenue (only one block) for you to walk to night or day. The hotel is truly in the middle of this ever expanding town. The breakfast that is included each morning is great and we wish we had spent more time having a quiet drink in the little bar at the hotel. The rooms were neat, well attended and just right for a couple. Communicating with the staff via email prior to arrival was easy and they provided us with information on arranging a car to and from the airport. The only inconvenience was the fact that there was no safe in the room so we had to arrange to keep our passport and $$ in the safe at the front desk. The hours for retrieving our stuff was also limited to 8 to 11 am so we had to decide in the morning how much money we thought we would need for the day. I have read other reviews that mentioned that it was a far walk to various points of interest in Playa. I would have to say that those individuals obviously suffer from what most American's suffer from -- an inability to walk any distance short or long. No where in Playa is too far to walk to. So if you are looking for a great boutique hotel, close to everything I would stay at Hotel Aventura!"

• Travel date: 27th July 2004

Cute place and a great stay!!!

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"My husband and I stayed at Aventura Mexicana from July 5 to 11/2004. What a great place! We were more than glad to stay there; the hotel was clean, charming, and well managed. Its location was great; 2 blocks from the beach and close to the 5ht Ave, where all the shops are restaurants are. We talked to one of the managers, Javier, almost everyday. His staff will do anything to please you. They give you tips about where to go, etc. Aurelio, the bartender, is a super guy. He makes the best margaritas I've ever had. I liked the work of art the cleaning lady did with the towels. After we got back from the beach I was always excited to the see the towels on the bed. She made everything out of a towel, including hearts, cute elephants, and a swan. The chef does a great job at the hotel restaurant. We loved the food in Playa. I wish I was there again. Will we go back? Of course. I wouldn't think twice. We highly recommend the hotel. It's quaint and different hotel from the typical chains in America. We need enchantment in our lives and Aventura Mexicana can provide you with it! Stay there and I promise you won't regret!"

• Travel date: 25th July 2004

Hotel and tour

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"We just came back from a wonderful week in Playa. We stayed at the Aventura Mexicana Hotel, and were very pleased with it; it is cozy, the TV set in the room was tiny and didn't work well, people are extremelly friendly and breakfast is included. Perfect to escape from everyday life! Just one warning: we arranged for a trip to Chichen Itza in one of the local agencies advertized on 5th Ave. We paid a little bit more than what it was asked at other places because they promised a big bus instead of a van and we thought it was worth it. When the morning of our trip arrived we were not pleased to discover that the bus turned into a van, with 15 passangers on it. The roads are bumpy and when people in the back of the van started to complain about the travelling conditions and the missing bus the second surprised arrived. Luis, the guide from hell, said that if we didn't like it we could return to our hotels, that we should keep quiet for the rest of the trip and threatened to call the police if anybody kept talking (he even got off the van and pretended to make a phone call). We booked the tour through the Mayan Palace office on 5th Ave, and the travel agency was called The City. They didn't gives us any receipt back, even when we asked for it. Wonder why? Other than that our whole stay in Playa was wondeful and this tour guide was an exception. Everybody else was very nice."

• Travel date: 14th July 2004

Paradise Inspired

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"Hola Amigos! You cannot imagine a more magical relaxing destination. I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone unless you can put up with the absolutely charming reception. The immaculate pool and garden accentuating the very best in the boutique Hotel experience and which sets a style for ambiance unmatched in Playa. Relaxed friendship permiates this Hotel and has to be experienced to be believed. Our thanks to the friends met, the staff and especially our hosts for the most memorable time. We are only counting the days when we return."

• Travel date: 25th June 2004

Just what I wanted

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"It had been over ten years since I was in Playa. I knew it had under gone major changes and had became more commercial. I decided that I wanted my partner to experience the quaint side of Mexico that I love. I had a discount at several other huge all-inclusive, and several chains up in Cancun but I chose to stay here. And I am very glad we did. This was the atmosphere that I remember. The traveler from Quebec who wrote the review dated Aril 10 was at the wrong hotel, no doubt about it . The rooms, grounds, and overall hotel are kept up beautifully and attention is paid to every detail. Not a day went by that I did not see someone grooming something. The food and drinks were great, and the prices were some of the best we found in the area. There was a great mix of tourist from every part of the world staying at the hotel, which added to the charm. The service was impeccable. We could not travel on the day we scheduled a tour, so the hotel staff adjusted everything for us- no questions asked. Our flight was delayed- no questions asked, the staff extended late check out for us. I had gotten the transfers to/from the airport from my company- but the staff here called and helped me arranged the return. Again nothing was of any problem. I was their guest and that is the way we were treated. I work for a wholesale company that handles hotel rooms (space) for American Airlines, Air Canada’s Canada, & Air France Holiday. I never mentioned this to anyone before or after I stayed here. I did not want any kind of special treatment. I wanted a vacation, and that is what we got. We have traveled all over the world, and stayed at many hotels, large and small. For sure we are going back, and I would not say that of many places. Even through Playa has went through some changes, this hotel maintains the charm of Mexico not spoiled by tourism."

• Travel date: 31st May 2004

Hotels near Aventura Mexicana

Aventura Mexicana is also called

• Tierra Maya Hotel
  • aventura mexicana hotel
  • aventura mexicana playa del carmen